• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resources to improve at Bowser?

Lampwick

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I recently have gotten rather good at Greninja and tried out for my college team. I did pretty well, but quickly realized that I would benefit greatly from a heavyweight fighter to secondary. I've liked Bowser for a long time, and he seemed like the perfect fit for a secondary.

As I look around, I can't find many solid resources that explain his playstyle, combos, kill setups, or even a basic tutorial. Are there any videos or posts that explore this?

Thanks a ton in advance,
Lampwick

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Most things are on twitter, but here, use this: https://youtu.be/bB988vY4v7I

If your concern is playstyle, you can consider Bowser a hybrid grappler. You're looking to force trades and beat defensive options with command grab or normal grabs. If you win neutral, you have the range and speed to threaten space and chain aerials into an edge guard.

Bowser kind of speaks for himself. Take him into some friendlies and you'll see where each of his tools come into play.

Last edited:

Lampwick

Smash Rookie
Most things are on twitter, but here, use this: https://youtu.be/bB988vY4v7I

If your concern is playstyle, you can consider Bowser a hybrid grappler. You're looking to force trades and beat defensive options with command grab or normal grabs. If you win neutral, you have the range and speed to threaten space and chain aerials into an edge guard.

Bowser kind of speaks for himself. Take him into some friendlies and you'll see where each of his tools come into play.
Thanks for the feedback. My biggest frustration is being poked down by rushdowns I can't get a hit off of. Is there a way to master Tough Guy to avoid this?

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
You could practice pivot tilts to counter aggression, or consider big risks with yolo grounded Fortress, but that largely depends on how your opponent is playing. TG is very situational and you'll mostly get that from opponents forgetting their rapid jabs don't flinch you. Tilt armor is also fairly weak in their % threshold. You're better off looking for things you can power through with DSmash or even FSmash. You can find a rundown of when the armor is active and what % it covers on Kurogane's website.

Top Bottom