• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource Management: An In-Depth Look at Oil Panic's Viability in Teams Post-Patch

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
Version 1.1.3 of Smash 4 greatly reduced the efficacy of Oil Panic for teams play; if Mr. Game & Watch's bucket is filled with his partner's strong energized projectile, it will no longer deal absurd damage while KO'ing enemies in one hit with almost no question. However, a few characters are still capable of supplying Mr. Game & Watch with a reasonably powerful Oil Panic to threaten the opposition with. Below is a list of characters I have discovered that are capable of this, along with kill percentages for 3 characters of varying weight classes.

victims used down, toward DI
done on Battlefield

NESS
----
35%: 1x uncharged pk flash, 1x full-charge pk flash
kills sheik @ 25 from edge
@ 39 from center
@ 52 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills villager @ 30 from edge
@ 46 from center
@ 61 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills bowser @ 41 from edge
@ 59 from center
@ 75 from one edge to farthest blast zone

MEWTWO/SAMUS
------------
33%: 2x 3/4-second neutral B, 1x full-charge neutral B
or: 1x 1.5-second neutral B, 1x full-charge neutral B
Kills Sheik @ 31 from edge
@ 47 from center
@ 62 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills villager @ 35 from edge
@ 55 from center
@ 73 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills bowser @ 45 from edge
@ 68 from center
@ 87 from one edge to farthest blast zone

WFT
---
30%: 1x full-charged SS, 1x full-charge SS w/ deep breathing
Kills Sheik @ 38 from edge
@ 56 from center
@ 70 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills villager @ 44 from edge
@ 63 from center
@ 79 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills bowser @ 57 from edge
@ 78 from center
@ 96 from one edge to farthest blast zone

LUCAS
-----
30%: 2x uncharged pk freeze, 1x full-charge pk freeze
see WFT

MII GUNNER (default)
--------------------
30-32%: 2x 3/4-second charge blast, 1x full-charge blast
SEE WFT

MEGAMAN
-------
29%: 1x almost-full f-smash, 1x full-charge f-smash
kills sheik @ 42 from edge
@ 60 from center
@ 77 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills villager @ 50 from edge
@ 68 from center
@ 86 from one edge to farthest blast zone
kills bowser @ 63 from edge
@ 84 from center
@ 103 from one edge to farthest blast zone

MII GUNNER (smallest)
---------------------
29%: 2x 3/4-second charge blast, 1x full-charge blast
see MEGAMAN

SAMUS (DCS)
-----------
35%: 2x 3/4-second DCS, 1x full-charge DCS
or: 1x 1.75-second DCS, 1x full-charge DCS
see NESS

WFT (ESS)
---------
33%: 1x 1.5-sec (almost full) ESS, 1x full-charge ESS w/ deep breathing
see MEWTWO/SAMUS

OTHER
-----
38%: 1x fox laser max-range, 1x vanish (lloid)
kills @ 18 (24) from edge
kills @ 33 (39) from center
kills @ 44 (52) from one edge to farthest blast zone
43%: 1x uncharged pk flash, 1x sheik vanish
kills @ 5 (9)from edge
kills @ 17 (24) from center
kills @ 28 (35) from one edge to farthest blast zone

http://pastebin.com/873d3RH7

Some notes for you so you guys can understand mine a bit better:

For the moves that have units of time attached to them, the charge times were made to be as accurate as possible, but are not 100% exact. I tried to charge them just long enough to fill the bucket by the appropriate number of units without going over. Also, start your mental countdown for the 2 button presses of a move (start it when you start charging the projectile, and stop it when you hit the button again to fire it). Timing does NOT begin when your fighter is seen with the projectile on their person, you'll fill the bucket by one more unit than you should, and yield a not-as-powerful Oil Panic otherwise.

The “Other” section applies for us when he want to get our bucket filled, but an opposing Sheik team is pressuring us too much to allow us time for that. If our partner manages to fill just one bucket unit, even with a weak projectile, we can save the other 2 units for Sheik's Vanish. Out of the entire roster, hers is a move she can't restrain herself from using forever, she HAS to use it to come back if her double-jump and Bouncing Fish aren't enough. That's our chance to punish them with a stronger Oil Panic than even Ness can give us. She's also a lightweight, and I wanted one of those to create kill %s for.

Villager was chosen because of his Lloid Rocket, an opposing Villager can choose not to ever use Lloid Rocket, but should he fire one anyway (because I figure that's a really good move for him, but it also is for us!), that's our chance to chase after it and absorb its explosion. Your partner can also block it for you to absorb the explosion safely (which gets absorbed for ~12% in both cases, same damage as Vanish). He's also a middle-weight, and I needed one of those to create kill %s for.

All energy projectiles used during testing, were not scaled in damage. They don't scale in damage if the move's blocked or absorbed.

Kill %s may vary by 1% or less; I didn't account for the hidden tenth digit in the damage values.

Momentum canceling after hit-stun was not taken to account when finding the %s, so everyone listed can likely live 1-3% later if they remember to use their respective moves.

What do the aforementioned fighters have in common? I've chosen them for their ability to cap Mr. Game & Watch's bucket with a single move; I figured that by meeting that criteria we'll have a few good options for partners that can give us strong enough oil with which we cause panic.

Lucario can do this too, but he has that aura mechanic that makes his Aura Sphere damage vary even more. I didn't want to/couldn't deal with that during my experiment. Sorry. :<

I also found out damage values for Mii Fighters/fighters with applicable custom moves in case anyone is still into that. DCS = Dense Charge Shot, and ESS = Enriched Sun Salutation.

Is the Oil Panic strategy worth considering in teams today? Maybe (not), but now we have more concrete data in my notes to help come to that conclusion with, at least.

Last edited:

Mariofan13

Smash Cadet
How does absorbing a teammate's projectile affect the bucket's damage if GaW also absorbss an opponent's projectile?

For Example, If I absorb an opponent's near-to-fully charged charge beam for two units and then another full charged one from my teammate, how strong will the buxket attack be?

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
M Mariofan13

If you were to take in a foe's move and then your ally's move (or vice versa), Oil Panic will only apply the friendly fire penalty to the move absorbed from your buddy (IDK by how much exactly). Moves absorbed from your enemies, still have their damage calculated as normal. The total Oil Panic damage would be

(the damage of your foe's move + (the damage of your buddy's move x the FF penalty)) x 2.8

I gave an example scenario of the damage Oil Panic will deal if you took in a weak move from your buddy and then a stronger one from your enemy, which is 38-43%; if you managed to take in moves stronger than Sheik's Vanish (13-19%) and then your buddy's strong projectile as per your example, you'd deal even more damage than that (again, by how much I'm unsure of due to the unknown severity of the FF penalty)!

Pardon the late reply, I was all over that Pound 2016 stream over the weekend. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom