• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resident Evil Spirits Announced

Resident_Evil.jpg

Today, Nintendo’s eSports Twitter announced that four spirits from the Resident Evil franchise will be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

The four spirits are Chris, Wesker, Jill and the often-speculated Leon. They will be available on November 29th and will stay on the board for five days. It is currently unknown if this means these characters cannot become DLC fighters in the future.

Author’s Note: Personally, I think this means Resident Evil won’t be getting a playable character in this game. But what do you think? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

Resident Evil is getting Spirits, Monster Hunter has a boss, so realistically that just leaves us with Phoenix Wright and Dante for the candidates to be the next Capcom rep.

Holy crap, I sure didn't see that coming. This might be the first time third party spirits were added through a regular Spirit event rather than a Challenger Pack.

...Also might mean we won't be seeing an RE character in Season 2, lol.

D
Resident Evil is getting Spirits, Monster Hunter has a boss, so realistically that just leaves us with Phoenix Wright and Dante for the candidates to be the next Capcom rep.
Dante got deconfirmed for FP5 tho.

Also no Morrigan?

D
If Resident Evil of all things can get spirits out of nowhere who knows what could happen in the future and realistically this could either be a one-time thing or we'll have to look out for our favorite 3rd party franchises.

Either way it's certainly a shake-up and the ride to this final initial-fighters pass character has been wild.

Dante got deconfirmed for FP5 tho.

Also no Morrigan?
Not necessarily. Developers can lie when they are under a NDA. Grant Kirihope the composer for Banjo-Kazooie was shouting out on Twitter a couple times how unlikely it was for Banjo & Kazooie to get in and he didn't hear anything from Microsoft or Rare about composing music for the Banjo-Kazooie brand. At the same time, he was composing the music for them in Smash and knew they were in as early as February.

Last edited:
View attachment 248288

Today, Nintendo’s eSports Twitter announced that four spirits from the Resident Evil franchise will be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

The four spirits are Chris, Wesker, Jill and the often-speculated Leon. They will be available on November 29th and will stay on the board for five days. It is currently unknown if this means these characters cannot become DLC fighters in the future.

Author’s Note: Personally, I think this means Resident Evil won’t be getting a playable character in this game. But what do you think? Please let us know in the comments below!
So once they are off the boards after 5 days will it be impossible to get them?

Holy crap, I sure didn't see that coming. This might be the first time third party spirits were added through a regular Spirit event rather than a Challenger Pack.

...Also might mean we won't be seeing an RE character in Season 2, lol.
I think Tetris counts as a third-party company too.

So once they are off the boards after 5 days will it be impossible to get them?
You will be able to get them later when they add them to the normal spirit boards after a big update. I honestly really hate this concept, they should just make them availabe forever instead of a limited time. It's really annoying when you try to 100% the spirits, because you're pretty much forced to play the game again when you might of wanted to do something else instead..

When I first saw that Twitter post, I'll be honest, I was immensely disappointed that they gave Resident Evil an unceremonious treatment.

Though, I still have my hopes up about the characters getting into Smash. You never know, this could be just a red herring in disguise and FP5 could be any number of them. If not, however, then I'll likely not play Ultimate for a long while; there's no more reason to in that case.

As much as I'd love one of the RE protagonists in Smash (or 8 of them via costumes), I can't help but feel they'd play like an echo fighter of Snake due to having the same toolkit in most of the games (guns, explosives, rocket launchers, etc.).

I think Tetris counts as a third-party company too.
You will be able to get them later when they add them to the normal spirit boards after a big update. I honestly really hate this concept, they should just make them availabe forever instead of a limited time. It's really annoying when you try to 100% the spirits, because you're pretty much forced to play the game again when you might of wanted to do something else instead..
Oh good. So there’s a chance I might get the Tetris spirits.

As much as I'd love one of the RE protagonists in Smash (or 8 of them via costumes), I can't help but feel they'd play like an echo fighter of Snake due to having the same toolkit in most of the games (guns, explosives, rocket launchers, etc.).
I do not see why. It's not like characters in similar position are always echo's of each other. E.g. Isabelle, Wolf, and Luigi play different to Villager, Fox and Falco, and Mario; respectively.

D
I really enjoyed this spirit event.

I stacked up a lot of RE ones and managed to finally get every third party spirit.

Top Bottom