• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resident Evil 5

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
is the demo off-line co-op?

if not...im a be pissed....
Yes, there is both online and offline co-op.

@Cashed:

Did you play Resident Evil 4 by any chance, or is this your first time using that control style? I felt the same way when I first played RE 4 but after you get used to the controls it's pretty fluid,

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who found the demo too easy? Taking out the 'bosses' was cake aside from the ax guys massive range and 1-hit KO's. Even with that the only problem was the random enemy poping up behind you to grab you long enough for a hit. I had an over-abundance of ammo each time I played through it and had to give alot of it away half the time. The chainsaw guy is absoloutly no threat whatsover unless your partner is a cpu. And I didn't like how playing the girl swapped your camera angle over the other shoulder, but that was overcome pretty fast. Im hopein' hard mode in the actual game is ... well hard.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Am I the only one who found the demo too easy? Taking out the 'bosses' was cake aside from the ax guys massive range and 1-hit KO's. Even with that the only problem was the random enemy poping up behind you to grab you long enough for a hit. I had an over-abundance of ammo each time I played through it and had to give alot of it away half the time. The chainsaw guy is absoloutly no threat whatsover unless your partner is a cpu. And I didn't like how playing the girl swapped your camera angle over the other shoulder, but that was overcome pretty fast. Im hopein' hard mode in the actual game is ... well hard.
Well it is a demo after all... they don't want to frustrate you so much that you wouldn't want to buy the actual game. Plus the enemy (and sadly CPU-assistant as well) AI is set to "extra stupid". I'm confident enemies will be more aggressive and Sheva will be less worthless in the full game.

Cashed is just a hater. The demo feels like RE4, minus the ability to retreat into your case in times of peril, so I'm very pleased.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I did play RE4, and it does feel like that, but the controls just feel too dated to me. The RE series has always felt like you're controlling a tank, and quite frankly, that needs to change. The new inventory system is awful, though I can see why it is what it is. If you had to pause to access your inventory, the game would need to pause for your co-op partner as well, which would be even more irritating than the current system.

Blazer

Smash Ace
If I wasn't playing co-op where its apparently harder, and wasn't actively trying to annoy my friend by being as dumb as possible, I could have beaten both missions in minutes. The chainsaw guy was a HUGE pushover compared to Dr. S.
I played as Sheva too. The 2nd level where you throw her across the gap, my friend ran out of ammo after about two zombies, I still only got hit about once.

duals

Smash Journeyman
I played the demo all yesterday day when i got home... i feel in love all over again.... better than sex! lawl.....

Few notes...

1. new control system- its ok but i prefer RE4 controls... when im in a heated battle.. all my instincts fall under this control system...

2. weapons menu- The real time is a change of pace.... adds more suspense, but i really miss the case menu.... and organizing...lol

3. sheva- am i the only one that think shes hawt? lol.... her left handed gameplay was new, but wasn't hard to conquer... her knife...puny compared to chris'... but shes acrobatic...

4. enemies- I kinda lost the sense of feeling trapped.... or the suspense from RE4... it felt like a regular third person shooter really... ganados are easy to take down... bosses are easy to avoid
The only plagas i saw were the flying ones... i expected some ganados to release it or something...

over all... i had alot of fun with the demo with my friends and it was to see us yelling at each other for some stupid mistake we would do... "OMG! CHAINSAW GUY LEAD US TO A DEAD END! *die via chain saw"..... The only major concern was online play... if i host a game..no body would join... if i joined someone.. i couldn't lpay 5 mins with out the connection being lost...

did i miss any thing?....

Puddin

Smash Lord
haha.. i saw this a week ago.....

and resident evil 5 doesn't have zombies... ._.
I'd only heard about it today, from that link, which is odd because I live in Austin...

The Africans disintegrate when they die because of the AIDS.

duals

Smash Journeyman
in Africa.... aids and the t-virus combined to make......Taids...... resident evil 5 is a documentary on it....

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So has anybody used the Boob Locator feature? I want to know how effective it is. I had a hard time locating Ashley's boobs in RE4 on a few occasions, so I'd like to know how well it works with Sheva in RE5.

smashbot226

Smash Master
So has anybody used the Boob Locator feature? I want to know how effective it is. I had a hard time locating Ashley's boobs in RE4 on a few occasions, so I'd like to know how well it works with Sheva in RE5.
It's rather flawless. A huge improvement over RE4's boob locator.

And I heard you can upgrade it for a hefty sum to give the boob locator x-ray vision.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
God I cannot wait for this game. I might go out and buy a Xbox-360 if it is good enough. Wesker looks like hes going to up to his old beast mode self again. ( Which I love )

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I still fail to see the logic behind that feature. I don't think I would ever need to know where my partner is if it wasn't dumber than a sack of bricks. She's supposed to be your shadow 2.

Also if you leave the demo running on your 360 long enough, Wesker shows up and tells you to go outside and make real friends, then red rings your system.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
That never happened. ...I'm pretty sure I would remember such an even occuring.

What I do know is that you look really really stupid if you try to action attack a downed boss just a tad too late after your partner has done so and you end up swining at nothing but air.

Sensai

Smash Master
I finally got around to playing the demo yesterday...

....and it saddens me that corporations care about nothing but money. Why, oh why, did you make this game a multiplayer, almost run-n-gun game?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Resident Evil 5 demo infects 1.8 million (Xbox LIVE only, because the demo just came out on the PSN today)

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/02/resident-evil-5-demo-infects-1-8-million/

I finally got around to playing the demo yesterday...

....and it saddens me that corporations care about nothing but money. Why, oh why, did you make this game a multiplayer, almost run-n-gun game?
Nintendo targets casual gamers for money, and you didnt like the demo? I thought it was pretty good.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
If you were anywhere near being a Resident Evil fan, you shouldve known exactly how this game was gunna be ages before playing the demo. Complaining about it now is just not allowed. Even non-RE fans knew everything about this game. I say its Resident Evil 4 but better. Chris > Leon, Africa > Spain, Wesker > anyone ever, Multi-player > Single-player, this is just not the game fans are supposed to say is a bad move. Then again, if you really are just too strongly against it, there is always not playing it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
If you were anywhere near being a Resident Evil fan, you shouldve known exactly how this game was gunna be ages before playing the demo. Complaining about it now is just not allowed. Even non-RE fans knew everything about this game. I say its Resident Evil 4 but better. Chris > Leon, Africa > Spain, Wesker > anyone ever, Multi-player > Single-player, this is just not the game fans are supposed to say is a bad move. Then again, if you really are just too strongly against it, there is always not playing it.
Lol Its not allowed. :3 Man I love 4, can't wait to play 5 hehe.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I just downloaded the demo for the PS3. If anyone wants to do co-op with me this weekend, hit me up.
RMG8S

Sensai

Smash Master
I think you're taking issue with me because I haven't kept up with the game...is that right? If it is, then you're right; I haven't kept up with RE5 at all, mainly because when it was announced, I didn't have a console that it would run on and then once I did get a 360, I had mostly forgotten about it being announced. Then -- BAM, here's some RE5 news, BAM here's the demo.

I completely disagree that, for a Resident Evil (read: survival horror) game, multiplayer is better than single player. While multiplayer is very fun, it doesn't allow the player to be as tense about things.

But, your last point is the one that I have issue with. If it were a different game (Gears of War 3, for example) I simply wouldn't play it. But, it's RE5. I love the RE series. For some reason or another, I put my eyes through the suck fest which was all the movies. I could ignore this one, I suppose, but...I dunno.

I feel kinda like how most people felt when Wind Waker came out; most people really hated it (originally) but bought it anyways. I see myself doing that.

(Oh, and BTW: not everyone would think that 'RE4 but better' is a good thing; RE4 pretty much took everything that was subtly scary out of the RE series and threw it out the window.)

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I have never heard of anyone who hasn't heard of RE5. Now thats scary.
I feel more tense playing with a buddy and having to keep up with his movements while those crazy new enemys start bursting through walls and ceilings and seperate us and add to that Wesker's new Bamf powers and creepy laboratory, maybe Capcom just decided to turn away from 'Ye Old Haunted House' bit and turned to diffrent thrills and chills. I know I got scared afew times when I get grabbed out of nowhere from behind to stare down at the massive ax weilding monstrosity mid-swing in my face. Partner or not, nothing can save you at this point. Being not as tense, you must be clinging to the underbelly of your partner.

If you can put up with those horrid movies, this should be cake. It's still got the Resident Evil story, it's got Wesker, Chris, the virus, and Umbrella. If you give it a chance, it'll be great. Capcom is just moving forward with thier work into the future. Hopeing for the old games in this day and time is just too much. You don't have that invinciblity feel you do when playing Gears of War, thats for sure. The demo is so obviously dumbed down, that playing on the hard/expert/KILL ME difficulty in the real game is sure to be heart pounding. You really never know where enemys will break in from at any given time, from smashing down walls, jumping over fences, crashing in through windows, Bamfing in behind you, it wont dissapoint.

Then again, that is all my opinion. I respect if you disliked it, but I could'nt have been happier. Just dissapointed at how little the demo gave you to taste.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
But, your last point is the one that I have issue with. If it were a different game (Gears of War 3, for example)
I think you mean Gears of War 2. ;)

Btw, RE4 is awesome! It's one of the best games I've ever played before in my entire life!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The thing about the RE series is that it's hard to go back to the roots because the tank controls, the awkward aiming, weird camera and the annoying puzzles were what made Resident Evil Resident Evil, developers can't really get away with purposely putting bad controls/camera/combat in this day and age so the only thing they can do is try to keep the gameplay up to standard and hope their fans still enjoy it.

Personally, I think they still trying to keep RE as a survival horror otherwise they'd make it run and gun and take out item management. The only things I don't like about RE5 is the all Co-op all the time thing and quick time events. Co-op would be fine as a different mode, even if it's just single player with the other player tacked on but going through the whole game like that is really... different.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ F8AL: No, I meant Gears of War 3. I mean, it could've been any third person shooter NOT from the RE series, hypothetical or not. Hell, it could be Gears of War 17. Just insert Third Person Shooter X there.

Also, I forgot to respond to your last point on the bottom of page 7: yes, I know Nintendo is targeting casual gamers for money, which is why I'm having a tiffy with them too. :-/.

@ Red Exodus: I'm not sure why people feel like the older RE controls cannot work. Yes, they're old and they're aggravating (especially to those not used to it) but it's part of the game, just like the sound, the lighting, the graphics, the plot, etc. It's part of the piece of art as a whole. A game can very well have ****ty controls as a way to better the game, although it'll be labeled as that type of game.

There's nothing wrong with the 'tank' controls. Pretty much anyone who's played RE4 ended up enjoying the controls (and I, for one, have no problem with RE5's controls). I will _definitely_ admit that pre-RE3, it was difficult to control the character; the ability to turn a full 180 degrees is a most welcome thing in my mind, but that's about as far as they should have gone.

I'm torn on the awkward aiming, actually. Part of me likes it and the other part tells me that it's an antiquated means of control that should definitely have died with the Playstation. I'll refrain from going into my hypocritical thoughts on the matter.

The camera is the main issue I take with you: Resident Evil was made by the camera. The fact that you couldn't easily see what was around the corner was what made it suspenseful. You get a little of that in RE4, but mostly it's less about 'what's over here' and more about 'how the hell do I get outta this?' It's slowly transitioning from survival/horror to action/adventure. Run-n-gun will be the final sign, although the fact that they took out the ability to have a paused menu is a pretty big flag...

trueganon said:
I have never heard of anyone who hasn't heard of RE5. Now thats scary.
I feel more tense playing with a buddy and having to keep up with his movements while those crazy new enemys start bursting through walls and ceilings and seperate us.....I know I got scared afew times when I get grabbed out of nowhere from behind to stare down at the massive ax weilding monstrosity mid-swing in my face.
You misunderstood me, mate. I've heard of RE5, I simply wasn't keeping up with it.

And how do you feel more tense with a partner? I really don't understand. The scary parts of RE arise from the feeling that you're completely alone...if you have someone in the game with you (much less right next to you on the couch) that aspect is gone and all you're left with is a B list horror movie.

And the feeling you've described is not fear, or at least not in the sense of real fear; you've described shock. The same feeling you get when you go to a modern 'horror' movie and they 'scare' you with a loud sound. That's not fear, that's just adrenaline kicking in; it's instincts.

And I did like the demo, which is why I'm torn. I feel like Capcom is *******izing one of it's better IPs and I don't think I want to support it...but I really do wanna know what happens in the RE universe.

:-/

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
You can always Wiki the story for it or find the cutscenes online to find out how it goes without playing the game.

I went back to the good ol' days myself, but I REALLY went back. I started to play Code Veronica and RE 2 again. I had almost forgotten just how horrid some of the camera angles truly were in there, but I still had fun with them.

Sensai

Smash Master
I made my roommate start RE4. Somehow, he had never played it and I've played it too many times to spoil the experience for him so I'm just going to watch and relive.

@ trueganon: The problem with simply using a Wiki is that it doesn't actually capture everything, it captures only the facts. With the RE universe, too much is left intangible and kind of understated; even more is simply left at being a rumor.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ F8AL: You now how in RE4 you hit Y and it opens up your inventory/the menu? That's been taken out due to the fact that, since it's more co-op based (bleh), pausing frequently would get annoying. Now it's all done in real time.

I tried to find a video for ya, but I couldn't. Sorry.

Top Bottom