• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Research & Development **UPDATED 10/19/17** D-air Showcase (Uses & Applications)

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Not sure if anyone even knows who I am (or cares), but I have a small growing channel where I have alot of different segments on Doc play. One of them is Research & Development. Its designed to help Docs learn new setups, techniques, combos, and overall Doc knowledge that they may not have known about before. For example:

NEWEST VIDS:
A Full showcase of D-air and all of it's uses/applications.

A super easy gimp setup that every Doc player needs to have in their arsenal. Of course its nothing new, but it's something that I dont see enough players using. Its relatively unpunishable due to the Sheet's low-frame animation. If they dodge the sheet you can punish almost immediately with another attack. Hope it helps! Learn it, Lab it, Love it!

An edgeguarding tool that I've been using for awhile that works extremely well on the entire cast. Perfect it and use it wisely.

My new footstool setup that can be quite deadly.

Something that not many Docs use, but should definitely start. It's not a tech, but awareness of it needs to increase. I call it a "LedgeFair". To perform it: press back while hanging from the ledge and then immediately use a Fair. If you do it right you'll land without any lag and be able to resume normal play immediately. It can really be effective against unsuspecting players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An extremely deadly combo for Doc that I never see anyone use. Seems effective in the 25-30% range (updating the vid soon since I've gotten so much more data since and on so many more characters.

Something basic that alot of players fail to take advantage of that can lead to early KOs. Of course it wont be nearly as easy in high-level play, but having it apart of your arsenal can be dangerous.

and more.

I've gotten alot of feedback from my channel in the past about how much these vids have helped, so I thought I'd start sharing them here as well. If people find them useful then I'll keep updating this thread with new vids. Hope I can help!

Last edited:

SkullKidDale

Smash Cadet
NNID
SkullKidDale
These are really cool man. I think an idea in the future would be maybe to find combos that Doc can up b out of. I know there was one a while back with the rapid jabs, but there are a lot more out there. One I can think of is Kirby's dair. Gets them every time.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
These are really cool man. I think an idea in the future would be maybe to find combos that Doc can up b out of. I know there was one a while back with the rapid jabs, but there are a lot more out there. One I can think of is Kirby's dair. Gets them every time.
not a bad idea. should work for any combo you have enough frames for the upb to come out. I'll keep that in mind though. glad u liked the vids

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
This is a great idea from you! I'm glad you shared these with all of your fellow Doc mains.
I was always convinced of Doc's great strength in terms of mixups & combos, so i'm glad to see someone has been labbing them as well. I'm still trying to find new stuff, i'll be warning everyone in case i do.
But anyways, these tricks will definitly help me step up my Doc game a little bit, thanks!

I also really like your idea of your last video. Sharing tricks for some matchups is very nice, and this is the way i'll be trying to bringing new tips: we have a couple of issues against disjoints or some charas like Sonic & Rosa but there are a couple of tricks that can be applied in these matchups, there's most definitly a different way to play each one of these, some strategies & mixups may do you wonder against some of these charas, provided they're used wisely.

Last edited:

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
I'm glad the vids were able to help! I'm definitely gonna keep it up with the character specific R&Ds cause I think they can help alot. Small tidbits here and there of things you might not have known can be the edge you need to win.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I never knew Doc's dair can actually be used off-stage like that. Wow, now I know! Thanks, much appreciated with the work you put in the Research & Development. :)

Top Bottom