• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Requesting Feedback - A Potential Alternate Rule Set

Hax

Smash Champion
I just think that in a game where the exact pixel something is positioned on can cause different scenarios, it's too much to expect a human to calculate randall's positioning. yes, a rough estimate of his location can be calculated, but we'll never be able to calculate down to the exact pixel he's on which believe me can make a difference. this makes randall pseudo-random. to each his own.

da K.I.D., you're forgetting that nearly every banned stage is banned for the sake of balancing the game. if stages with walls were on, fox would win every tournament (yet pokemon stadium is acceptable..). if circle-camping stages were on, fox/falcon/etc. would win the moment they took the lead in a match. i don't see a reason to stop there; if currently legal stages being banned would make for an even more balanced game in which the player who outskills his opponent is even more likely to win, why not ban them?

Gea

Smash Master
Stages like Temple were not banned to nerf Fox as a character. When stages with walls were legal, Fox never did win every tournament. Most stages with walls were banned for other reasons than "it has a wall." In fact, I really can't think of a stage off of the top of my head banned solely for having a wall that Fox can play off of.

Peach's Castle was banned because once you have the lead and get on the opposite side of the stage, the other character is forced to approach unsafely. They have to approach via the air from above. I thought that was also the reason why Venom was pegged. Not because of shine.

D

Deleted member

That "stage hazard" is not random at all.

@s2j: That is something that can really only happen on stages where the bottom blast zone is a significant portion of the stage. Smart stage selection can really negate suicide kill intent. All part of knowing the capabilities of your opponent and yourself, as well as what stages affect you how.
i am dumb!!

chaddd

Smash Lord
not with
-best of 7 sets and
-stage bans

it simply makes melee a lot more fun for a change. People should NOT be opposed to AT LEAST TRYING this out
I am. This is stupid. I'll entertain this idea if you can go back in time and suggest it 10 years ago.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I just think that in a game where the exact pixel something is positioned on can cause different scenarios, it's too much to expect a human to calculate randall's positioning. yes, a rough estimate of his location can be calculated, but we'll never be able to calculate down to the exact pixel he's on which believe me can make a difference. this makes randall pseudo-random. to each his own.
I feel like this statement validates my satirical battlefield counter argument.

Also, like gea said, most stages werent banned because of character dependancy, they were banned based on devolving tactics which then resulted in, 'since all you have to do is (insert lame, one dimensional strategy here) you might as well pick the character that does it best.' logic.
Just because the majority of the time, that character ended up being fox, doesnt mean that fox is inherently the sole reason why any stage was banned.

even flatzone wasnt banned because of fox. it was banned because even if fox wasnt in the game, the entire match would still revolve around camping next to the blast zone and waiting for a back throw at 0 or something similar.

When great Bay was originally banned, the biggest character culprit of the offending tactic at the time to justify it was mario/doc/luigi, because backthrow on the lower stone platforms = death at 0 if you didnt tech.

And is it just me or is chaddd admitting to this being a good idea but being against anyway due to being too set in his ways to change at this point?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lmao at bossa nova's sig

lmao at halving the stocks in a melee match and having most matches come down to a single pivotal moment (has anyone ever heard of variance?) being considered the holy grail of ideas while eliminating luck-based stages such as FoD and PS (i won't say yoshi's because apparently it's easy and normal to constantly calculate Randall's positioning during a match) is immediately shot down

i could argue endlessly about how yoshi's buffs fox and falco, further distancing them from the rest of the cast. or about how certain characters NEED to win the first game of a set vs certain top tiers or else they're faced with 2 absolutely terrible counterpick stages that can't both be banned. or about how luck is counterintuitive to competition. or about how FoD and PS aren't even remotely neutral. or about how battlefield nerfs fox and falco (which is what should be done to them) by making their recovery worse. or about how 0 to death chaingrabs deteriorate the game...

and not a single person would agree because hax is the bad guy
Just go play SF if that's how you think, geez..

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I mean, I don't agree with this ruleset, but I honestly don't see why you guys are opposing it so loudly. It's an "alternate" ruleset. An alternate option. No one is forcing you to play it. Cactuar is ONLY asking for people who are interested in the ruleset to playtest it, try it out. If you don't like it, don't play it. Nothing makes one ruleset "better" than the other, really (not going to get into what's better for competition, because people differ there, to). Even if this were to, at some point, become the MBR recommended ruleset (I honestly don't see that happening), it's only recommended. You can have your own stage list.

I suppose it'd be a shame for people to quit this game because the ruleset at nationals changes (again, not likely), but that's more or less the way the cookie crumbles, if it'll actually come to that. Complaining about it in here (ESPECIALLY without having tested it out first) does nothing.

(I still think you're trolling, Cactuar, but somewhat less so :) )

VA

Smash Hero
Don't you just look at the timer and figure out where Randall is? It's something like this:

Timer = MinuteMinute:SecondsSeconds

When the timer is

MM:ODD,5-0 Randall is on the left.

MM:EVEN,5-0 Randall is on the right.

Might be the other way around I'm not certain.

It's pretty easy to guage where he is...Professor Pro usually knows where is he most of the time though yeah he messes it up because you can't know exactly.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
yeah but webb, more stages with the normal amount of stocks/matches is a bad idea. I'm pretty sure cactuar is aware that alot of the stages are very quirky.. weird, and odd things might happen. so bo7 gives alot of opportunities to not rely the entire set off of 1-2 matches that might just be something like Jungle Japes/mushroom kingdom 2..

Superspright

Smash Lord
Also 2-3 is a special number for Randall. 23 he'd be on the right bottom then at 22 the right top, and then at 13 he'd be at top left then 12 he'd be at bottom left. Ganon can wizkick and edge-cancel him at certain times; he can be used for edge-cancels very easily. Randall is my teams partner.

Cia

das kwl
I already like this ruleset better than the current. I will try to get ppl to test this with me. And I'll record stuff.

It will be epic.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
late to the party - dont like this ruleset

I think this ruleset seems worse than the current ruleset. I haven't read most of the thread but I"ll reply to the OP. sorry this post is so long, the stuff in italics is from the OP.

"Simply put, 4 stock matches are too long. I'm not sure why we never really reevaluated using 4 stock, but it really just seems that we use it because we have always used it. There are a ton of problems that are the result of using 4 stock, but these are the ones that I have chosen to address. "

I don’t think that our matches are too long, for the most part. I’m fine with 3-5 minute matches and if it takes longer then so be it.

An effect of the amount of time and number of stock in a match combined with the reduced stage list is that we have an increased separation between viable and non-viable characters. This separation is caused by a lack of variables for non-viables to work with, as, due to the prior statements, we have removed stages that do not look and feel roughly similar to what we have deemed competitive, which, as stated before, has been sculpted by needs formed due to prior ruleset evolutions. The current non-viable characters are not viable because they simply do not have as many options vs viable characters. This causes them to have relatively two dimensional play, and often suffer at the whim of equally two dimensional responses from viable characters (Fox's Bair and Sheik's Dthrow come to mind).

I think the play will be equally 2 dimensional with shorter matches and on other stages. And I’m pretty sure that when it comes down to it, what really causes the separation between the “viable” and “non-viable” characters is just the fairness of the ruleset. If there are elements of randomness in matches, that will be better for the player/ character that was at a disadvantage to begin with. So I feel like, “sorry your character is bad, but I don’t want to make a less fair ruleset just to accommodate you.”

To further expand on this idea in a way that many of you will hopefully understand: non-viables are essentially Burst, while viables are essentially Sustained DPS. Non-viables rely on being able to use very small windows of opportunity to do their damage, while viables are given the tools to control and damage their opponent throughout the match. The issue here is that most of the viable characters have the ability to play as Burst as well, further removing non-viables from use.

How will this be any different with shorter matches and on more stages??

Another effect is that the length of matches basically acts as accident forgiveness... for the better player. Given two players, one slightly better than the other, a mistake, lets say an SD by the better of the two, at 4 stock each is often not a big deal. The lesser player will often slack off slightly, the better player will turn it up slightly, and the match will be restored to even relatively quickly. Such is the nature of the game. On the other hand, an SD by the lesser of the two, will often seal his fate. The better player would have to slack off significantly, or the lesser player would have to make a huge play, just to make up a small amount of ground. There is no legitimate reason for us to be so forgiving of mistakes.

I just don’t feel like this is a bad thing at all. I would hope that the better player wins.

Similar to this idea, comeback potential in a 4 stock game is much lower between two equally skilled players. Once a player takes a two stock (4-2, 3-1)lead, although comebacks do happen and tend to be impressive as hell when they do, more often that not it just makes the losing player feel defeated, and then magnifies that feeling while they struggle for the rest of the match. All of this leads to a boring finish while the advantaged player wins through attrition.

With more matches per set, the impact of a comeback would be diminished. Also, with 2-stock matches you could only come back from 1-2. I claim that it would be easier to comeback from 3-4 or 2-3. So I think the 1 stock comebacks are easier or the same with the current ruleset, and I think it would be sad to lose the opportunity to comeback from a 2 or 3 stock deficit.

All of this summed up leads to a great divide between our competitive community and that of other FGC's. The game already feels foreign due to the difference in control, the visual appearance, and method of death (stock counters). Then we throw in a system of competitive measure that can't really be compared to by players familiar with other fighting games.

I don’t really care about this at all. I’m fine with having a unique game and I’ve hardly had any positive interaction with the FGC. When I was at a tourney with street fighter I remember them just stealing a smash setup and saying something along the lines of “it would be a waste to use this tv for a kiidie game”. So they mostly come off as *******s to me, although I suppose If you’re trying to convert them to smash to help our community then that’s a noble goal. I wonder how much changing the ruleset would change their opinion of smash?

The pacing between matches will be very similar to current fighting games. It keeps the game exciting, as we see shifts in strategy much more rapidly, as well as changes in stage and character. We aren't stuck watching two dimensional play in a war of attrition.

Aren’t most of the strategies on CP stages more 2D than those on the neutral stages? I’m imagining a fox vs Kirby set where fox wins game 1, then Kirby goes to brinstar and wins with the aid of lava, then fox goes to rainbow cruise and laser camps the Kirby, then Kirby goes to Japes (the level with klap-traps, I’m pretty sure its jjapes) and then Kirby wins there, and then fox wins on corneria and so on. This kind of set is just very unappealing to me.

this is just my opinion. sorry if this sttuff already got addressed but just glancing over the thread it seemed like most people were just agreeing with cactuar without hesitation. If I'm wrong go ahead and tell me why; I'd believe it if some of the stuff I typed didn't really make sense.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I mean, I don't agree with this ruleset, but I honestly don't see why you guys are opposing it so loudly. It's an "alternate" ruleset. An alternate option. No one is forcing you to play it. Cactuar is ONLY asking for people who are interested in the ruleset to playtest it, try it out. If you don't like it, don't play it. Nothing makes one ruleset "better" than the other, really (not going to get into what's better for competition, because people differ there, to). Even if this were to, at some point, become the MBR recommended ruleset (I honestly don't see that happening), it's only recommended. You can have your own stage list.
I think it is worth it to oppose rulesets you disagree with because you can get forced to either
1: play it or
2: quit going to tournaments
the "if you don't like it then don't play it" attitude wont really work if everyone around you starts playing with this ruleset.

also at "Nothing makes one ruleset "better" than the other, really"
do you think that this ruleset would be just as good?

33 stock
only legal stages are big blue and mute city
peach is banned (I put this here since you main peach)
first stage is decided by arm wrestling
winner of the first match picks the following stages and so on...

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@Ocho: Everything you said has already been addressed, right down to your stance on it being easier to make a comeback at 4-3 or 3-2. The point is to punish for mistakes, not make it easier to recover from them, while at the same time reducing the significance of a single mistake in regards to the affect on a set.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
lol, ok

and punish for mistakes while reducing the significance of a single mistake?

should you have said "punish less for mistakes while reducing the significance of a single mistake? these long sentences with lots of commas confuse me...

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
No.

When you view the effect of a mistake paired with number of stock and number of matches, the significance of the mistake has less impact on the individual match the more stock you have and more impact on the set outcome the less matches you have.

Small mistakes matter tremendously in high-top level play between even players, even with four stock. It is entirely probable that an SD would determine the winner of a match. The impact that has on the overall set is a loss of 1/3rd of the set.

While that SD will almost definitely cause that player to lose the match when you do this with 2 stock, it only causes them to lose 1/7th of the set.

All this is doing is shifting forgiveness out of individual matches and into the set.

I use commas to pause between different, related statements being made in the same sentence. There are a variety of ways to make it easier to read, but I type as the words are said in my head, so I don't bother doing much idiot-proofing.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@Ace: Yeah, a lot more gets affected by the change due to side effects, but I'm speaking in terms of primary, direct functionality.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I'm down to try out the ruleset. Just take out Fountain of Dreams since it sucks so much lol. I'll probably main Bowser for singles again if this ruleset becomes a staple at tournaments. It was mad fun using Bowser in pools at Apex.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
FoD should be banned forever.

*Peach main*

Ocho, I really don't think that this will become the standard. There are enough of us rooted in our old ways, I think.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
All this is doing is shifting forgiveness out of individual matches and into the set.
I think this shift away from the value of any one match is the true point of contention for many. You want to make Melee's ruleset focus on winning short rounds of 7 which would take around 20 minutes for close regular matches with timeouts. I'm going to ignore the stage randomness and the negatives of timeouts at the moment.

A current Melee ruleset game of 4 stock, best of 3 set should last no more than 15 minutes. Your method adds 5 extra minutes (or more) by being more rule-heaving while also deflating the tension and fun of an epic 4 stock battle royale.

So your basically saying here: I want to make sets last longer than they currently are and make individual matches become meaningless.

Nope, doesn't make sense.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hey comeback kid.

if you ever play a two stock match that goes to time in the 3-4 minutes with a matchup that you think wouldn't take twice as long with a 4 stock 8 minute timer, let me know.

3 matches with timeouts takes 24 or so minutes. 7 matches with 3 minute timeouts takes 21 minutes.

so basically what he's saying here is that he wants each stock to matter more per game, each game to matter less per set, and each set to constitute more games in which strategy adjustment occur between them.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
hey comeback kid.

if you ever play a two stock match that goes to time in the 3-4 minutes with a matchup that you think wouldn't take twice as long with a 4 stock 8 minute timer, let me know.

3 matches with timeouts takes 24 or so minutes. 7 matches with 3 minute timeouts takes 21 minutes.

so basically what he's saying here is that he wants each stock to matter more per game, each game to matter less per set, and each set to constitute more games in which strategy adjustment occur between them.
I'm pretty sure, hell I'm positive that if matches became fragile 2 stock affairs a 3 minute timer will constantly become a fight against the clock due to player cautiousness. Remember that's 4 stocks shared between the players for 3 minutes. An 8 minute timeout is the exception rather than the rule so it isn't comparable.

Making stock losses matter more has the very real downside of making each match matter less which I think is a bigger problem than is being acknowledged here.

NNID
dansalvato
Making stock losses matter more has the very real downside of making each match matter less which I think is a bigger problem than is being acknowledged here.
In this new ruleset, you have a total of 14 stocks as opposed to the current 12. I think it only SEEMS like each stock matters more because there's 2 per game, but the fact that there are more games negates that. Furthermore, a game loss (the loss of 2 stock) results in the losing player to select the counterpick stage, which will give that player more of an advantage if there are more stages available to select.

So, the loss of 2 stock is only 2/14 (worst-case 2/8) and allows the losing player to pick up an advantage the next game. Each stock isn't as important and powerful as it may seem.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well if players aren't being cautious during their current 4 stock matches, then is the simple fact that less time on the clock and they have less stocks going to make them more cautious? maybe. but that just means that in tournament, everything matters more. which seems like a good thing. if 2 players are cautious enough to time out the 3 minutes (which is pretty long. when i played this ruleset, most, if not all matches were over well before the 2 minute mark), then they very well may be cautious enough to time out the 8 minute mark with 4 stocks.

if the ruleset will cause people to stop sandbagging then...okay lol, each stock matters now. lets play for real.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I know this looks like im intentionally trying to pick on you but im not.

us rooted in our old ways,

This bothers me greatly

also, the reason time outs are generally such a problem is because theyre so drawn out to begin with.

Timer for 4 stock matchs should be 6 or 7 minutes to begin with.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think that shortening the time limit without reducing the stock count would only encourage time outs, because more players will be willing to run down the clock if they have a decent lead (which is unlikely if the players have less than 4 stocks to begin with) and there's less time left.

Anyone feel free to call me out if I'm wrong in assuming this.

Kal

Smash Champion
It depends on whether eight minutes is too high. If the timer were currently set to ninety-nine minutes, you wouldn't say that shortening the time limit would encourage time outs. So you could be right, but it would require some testing, or some incredibly in-depth analysis that shows that eight minutes is in fact close to the medium timer which balances:

1) that the player in the lead will try to time his opponent out the shorter the duration of the match
2) that the player not in the lead will not approach the longer the duration of the match

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I was assuming that the original time was 8 minutes, and then seeing what the effects would be of adjusting it from that point.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Players WILL be more cautious with only 2 stocks. Watching cautious melee isn't nearly as fun as watching matches where players aren't scared to death of a SD if they happen to miss a very difficult/flashy yet effective edgeguard.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you saw MORE sandbagging with this ruleset. If a mid/low tier beats fox game 1 and gets taken to a map that is ridiculously in fox's favor, where's the incentive to try your hardest once he has a lead and starts camping (in comparison to the current ruleset)? Especially since 1 game would matter so little.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I actually don't think there are that many stages that would heavily disadvantage a low tier main if they had the stage knowledge and used their bans well. We exaggerate because we speak hypothetically.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Would this ruleset make Kirby viable? Because that would be awesome. Plus, I could laser camp Fox. Or at least, I could try to.

Max?

Smash Champion
I'd like to see all these Fox mains/Top Tier users pick up low tiers for a few months and then talk about what kind of options they have. Especially on stages that benefit Fox to a monstrous degree.

A rule I would propose to improve this ruleset would be once you use a character and then switch mid set, you cannot return to characters previously used. So let's say you start off using Falco, win game 1, your opponent takes you to Brinstar or something, you switch to someone else, you cannot return to Falco from that point on.

If the whole point of this ruleset is to test "real skill", you should be forced to use your full repertoire of characters and stage knowledge. If you are a one trick pony, oh well, turns out you suck at this game.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
alternatively you could learn to play Falco equally well on all stages. Falco really isn't bad on Brinstar, but people are afraid of the stage and don't take time to learn it to their advantage.

Max?

Smash Champion
alternatively you could learn to play Falco equally well on all stages. Falco really isn't bad on Brinstar, but people are afraid of the stage and don't take time to learn it to their advantage.
I agree. I was just using him as an example as I know a majority of space animal mains hate that stage with a fiery passion. Doesn't mean Falco is bad there persay, just that the players who main him are uncomfortable there.

Top Bottom