• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replacing every 3rd Party Character with a Nintendo Character

D

Deleted member

"Smash Bros. used to be a Nintendo game and it should go back to that. Get rid of the 3rd Parties. Nintendo characters only."

This kind of argument has died down a LOT from the Brawl days. And personally, thank goodness because I find it to be a very disagreeable point.

But for funsies, let's play Devil's Advocate and think of a Nintendo character to replace every 3rd Party character on the roster.

Now the approach I took was picking characters that had at least some similarities to the 3rd Party they're replacing in this hypothetical thread. But that's only one possible way to go about it. Feel free to share your ideas.

Anyway, here's mine.

Snake -> Sylux

Sonic -> Dillon

Mega Man -> Jill

Pac-Man -> Sheriff

Ryu -> Spring Man

Ken - Shadow Mewtwo

Cloud -> Rex

Bayonetta -> Cadet (Astral Chain)

Simon -> King Boo

Richter -> Skull Kid

Joker -> Itsuki

Hero -> Isaac

Banjo & Kazooie -> Dixie Kong

Terry -> Sukapon

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Tough one, but I’ll bite. Hypothetically, I’d replace…

-:ultsnake: with Saki Amamiya
-:ultsonic: with Lyn
-:ultmegaman: with Mach Rider
-:ultpacman: with Nightmare (Kirby)
-:ultryu: with Takamaru
-:ultken: with Blaziken
-:ultcloud: with Magnus
-:ultbayonetta: with Adeleine and Ribbon
-:ultsimon: with Celica
-:ultrichter: with DeMille
-:ultjoker: with Chef Kawasaki
-:ulthero: with Sablé Prince
-:ultbanjokazooie: with Excitebike
-:ult_terry: with Nikki

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
-:ultsnake: with Isaac (Golden Sun)
-:ultsonic: with Skull Kid (Zelda)
-:ultmegaman: with Andy (Advance Wars)
-:ultpacman: with Marshal (Rhythm Heaven)
-:ultryu: with Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
-:ultken: with Octoling (Splatoon)
-:ultcloud: with Dillon (Dillon)
-:ultbayonetta: with Mallo (Pushmo)
-:ultsimon: with Elma (Xenoblade)
-:ultrichter: with Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
-:ultjoker: with Rex (Xenoblade)
-:ulthero: with Spring Man (Arms)
-:ultbanjokazooie: with Demise (Zelda)
-:ult_terry: with Takamaru (NES)

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
:ultsnake: Waluigi
:ultsonic: Tom Nook
:ultmegaman: Magolor
:ultpacman: Dark Matter
:ultbanjokazooie: Adeleine & Ribbon
:ultryu::ultken: Bandanna Waddle Dee / Samurai Waddle Doo
:ultcloud: Balloon Fighter
:ultbayonetta: Dixie Kong
:ultsimon::ultrichter: Toad / Toadette
:ulthero: Wonder Red
:ult_terry: Any Rhythm Heaven character

Oddball

Smash Lord
:ultbanjokazooie: To fill the void of hairy guys with ties to Donkey Kong, let's have Donkey Kong Jr.

:ultpacman: gets swapped for Bubbles from Clu Clu Land to keep that old school arcade style feel

:ultken: and :ultryu: get swapped out for Urban Champion and Teleroboxer (who can still work as echoes of each other) to keep that fighting game feel

:ult_terry: is replaced with Sukapon mostly because I'm drawing a blank for any other Nintendo fighting games.

:ultcloud: Let's swap one blonde RPG hero for another. Cloud makes way for Isaac from Golden Sun.

:ultsonic: is replaced by Dillon, so we still have a rolling anthropomorphic animal

:ultbayonetta: Medusa fills that dark sexy femme fatale void that Bayonetta leaves behind. (I considered Tharja, but her outfit and the Fire Emblem issues made me reconsider)

:ultsimon:and :ultrichter: Keeping with the horror theme, Simon and Richter make way for Alex and Pious Agustus from Eternal Darkness

:ultsnake: if we can't have Snake, let's bring in Andy from Nintendo's biggest military franchise.

:ultjoker: Keeping with the dark creepy school kid that gets followed around by something supernatural vibe, let's bring in Ayumi Tachibana.

:ultmegaman: We can't have Megaman or Simon, let's bring in their good pal Captain N the Game Master!

:ulthero: classic RPG character? Mike from Star Tropics!

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
This should be fun.

:ultsnake: - Andy (Advance Wars)
:ultsonic: - Ashley (Warioware)
:ultmegaman: - Chibi Robo
:ultpacman: - Skull Kid
:ultryu: - Karate Joe
:ultken: - Krystal (Echo of :ultfox: & :ultzss:)
:ultcloud: - Rex (Xenoblade)
:ultbayonetta: - Porky
:ultsimon: - King Boo
:ultrichter: - Dixie Kong (Echo of :ultdiddy:)
:ultjoker: - Saki (Sin & Punishment)
:ulthero: - Isaac (Golden Sun)
:ultbanjokazooie: - Bandana Waddle Dee
:ult_terry: - Waluigi

HM: Takamaru, Captain Rainbow, Dillion, Sukapon, & Mike (Star Topics).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultmegaman: We can't have Megaman or Simon, let's bring in their good pal Captain N the Game Master!
Um.............I hate to break it to you buddy. But this thread is about Nintendo characters. Captain N is not only a character who originated from a TV show, not a video game. He's also not owned by Nintendo. He's owned by Dic Entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
As much as I don't want Sonic, Megaman or Banjo and Kazooie replaced (or Shadow, Steve, Shantae or Ray-Man to have no chance for the future)

Midna, Muddy Mole, Issac, Lugia, Fawful, Adeleine, Krystal, Spring-Man, Ribbon-Girl (Echo), Dixie Kong (Echo of Diddy Kong), Skull Kid, Marshall, Sylux and Bio-Rex

If I were to keep one Third Party, it will be Sonic (and Shadow as an echo)

Update, due to Min-Min getting in

Spring-Man is replaced by Bandanna Dee, while Ribbon-Girl is replaced by Dark Bowser as a Bowser Echo

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Krystal replaces :ultsnake:

Dixie Kong replaces :ultsonic:

Porky Minch replaces :ultmegaman:

Pig Ganon replaces :ultpacman:

Skull Kid replaces :ultryu:

Medusa replaces :ultcloud:

Hades replaces :ultbayonetta:

Mach Rider replaces :ultsimon:

Funky Kong (:ultdk: Echo) replaces :ultrichter:

Dry Bowser (:ultbowser: Echo) replaces :ultken:

Ayumi Tachibana replaces :ultjoker:

Wart replaces :ulthero:

Paper Mario replaces :ultbanjokazooie:

Lanky Kong replaces :ult_terry:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Um.............I hate to break it to you buddy. But this thread is about Nintendo characters. Captain N is not only a character who originated from a TV show, not a video game. He's also not owned by Nintendo. He's owned by Dic Entertainment.
I don't hate to tell you this, but you're wrong.

Captain N and all original characters in the series are owned completely by Nintendo.

DiC only owns the rights to the animated episodes that were made.

I used to run a Captain N fansite back in the day and I was contacted by a representative from Shout! (the company that put together the DVD release) about contributing to some bonus features on the DVD. Sadly, because nobody could figure out who had the comic rights at the time, the comic book scans I offered didn't get included.

But it IS a Nintendo Property.

D

Deleted member

I don't hate to tell you this, but you're wrong.

Captain N and all original characters in the series are owned completely by Nintendo.

DiC only owns the rights to the animated episodes that were made.

I used to run a Captain N fansite back in the day and I was contacted by a representative from Shout! (the company that put together the DVD release) about contributing to some bonus features on the DVD. Sadly, because nobody could figure out who had the comic rights at the time, the comic book scans I offered didn't get included.

But it IS a Nintendo Property.
Huh, well I'll be darned. Maybe the idea of a Mii Gunner costume of Captain N is possible after all then.

SpaceCrystal

Smash Cadet
"Smash Bros. used to be a Nintendo game and it should go back to that. Get rid of the 3rd Parties. Nintendo characters only."

This kind of argument has died down a LOT from the Brawl days. And personally, thank goodness because I find it to be a very disagreeable point.
And what's funny about this, is that Solid Snake was going to be added onto Smash Melee. Hideo Kojima had went to Masahiro Sakurai for this idea, & Sakurai was fine with it.

The only reason it didn't happen was because Melee was too far in development, hence why he was added to Brawl instead, alongside Sonic.

Did Nintendo approach Konami about Snake in SSBB or vice versa?
Sakurai: What brought about the Snake character, when I was developing SSBM for GC, Hideo Kojima contacted me and practically begged me to put him in there, but at that time we were deep in development and it was too late. I just kind of gave up on the idea, but now that we had time, I remembered he asked me that and we decided to put him in. This is not so much a corporate level discussion, but a personal discussion, between Mr. Kojima and I. We're looking at other possibilities for 3rd party characters. At a corporate level, there may be discussion going on right now. Snake is the only 3rd party character that has been confirmed. But that might open up other opportunities to have other characters available. Its more about having a character that's fun to be in there.
Link.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
You know, if you look at every single game published by Nintendo, you could probably have up to over 40 to 50 fighters of 1st to 2nd Party Titles alone.

And that's only 1 character per series/game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mimikyu replaces :ultsonic:
Ghirahim replaces :ultsnake:
Pokey replaces :ultmegaman:
Cranky Kong replaces :ultpacman:
Dixie Kong replaces :ultryu:
Wart replaces :ultcloud:
Doc Louis replaces :ultbayonetta:
Bandana Dee replaces :ultsimon:
Kamek replaces :ultrichter:
Samurai Goroh replaces :ultken: