• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replace Stages with another stages skin?

abuc1207

Smash Rookie
Hi,

So i only play on legal stages.. this means i have approx 20 stages that i never use. So i had the idea that if i could replace these 20 unused stages with legal stages alternate skins that would be really cool.

I thought it would be as easy as rename the alternate stage .dat to the name of the stage im replacing. For example, i want to play on an alternate version of FoD, when i click on Kongo Jungle. So i downloaded the alternate fod skin, renamed it to GrKr or w/e the name was, and that would be it.

Unfortunately, when i choose the stage the game never loads, it just sits in the "now loading".

Is this at all possible? I understand that the sizes of the files differ and maybe some other metadata.

Maybe tehre is some other file/s i need to modify in order to correctly point to this new stage and adjust any metadata?

Any help is apprectiated.

CeLL

Smash Lord
For every stage there are functions in the DOL that are specific to that stage. So when you load FoD and the game thinks it's Kongo Jungle, it runs the Kongo Jungle functions, which causes it to freeze. You can do what you want with ASM if you are interested. You'd have to switch the icon to load the stage that you want the skin of, and then inject a function that changes the name of the file for that stage to something else when you click on the icon. You'd also need to add the new stage skins as separate files in the ISO (the original illegal stages could be removed).

abuc1207

Smash Rookie
For every stage there are functions in the DOL that are specific to that stage. So when you load FoD and the game thinks it's Kongo Jungle, it runs the Kongo Jungle functions, which causes it to freeze. You can do what you want with ASM if you are interested. You'd have to switch the icon to load the stage that you want the skin of, and then inject a function that changes the name of the file for that stage to something else when you click on the icon. You'd also need to add the new stage skins as separate files in the ISO (the original illegal stages could be removed).
tyvm for your reply.

Is there any tutorial on how to do this??

Step by step?

abuc1207

Smash Rookie
Oh asm = assembly language. Okey, thanks a lot :)

i dont know if im gonna be able to do this since it seems quite difficult. Especially since there is no examples i can base off. From what i understood in the start.dol i need to change the function that calls kongo jungle to the one that calls FoD.. However how do i know where is that call? Only debugging with breakpoints?

abuc1207

Smash Rookie
can i get a sample of how start.dol would look like if i replace kongo jungle to point to a new map .dat that is called GrCustm.dat for example?

If someone could do this, i could make a diff of that .dol to the original and extrapolate the differences to do it with other stages :D

N00B64

Smash Cadet
hi, I have a question regarding the opposite end of OP's issue. Say I have a mod that changed the stage select screen to be entirely different (specifically the melee netplay community build), and I wanted to change what stages are in the slots that are presented for the sake of having a different selection OR to have that menu work with a different mod (like SD remix or sillymelee).

how would I go about changing the ID's that the select screen is presenting to match the IDs of the stages I would rather have? (example having fourside be switched with final destination)

I'm straight up terrible with coding and numbers in general, and the Fast debug version of dolphin wont even launch the game for me while regular dolphin loads it just fine.

This has stumped me for the past 3 weeks and even though I've looked into almost every guide I can and practically every thread, I can't understand any of this HEX stuff other then "Xcode=Yid/function Xcode gets pasted over Zcode in start.dol".

Please if anyone can help me make sense of any of this I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to be spending a whole year poking around at melee, figuring out how to mod it just to change something so small.

CeLL

Smash Lord
hi, I have a question regarding the opposite end of OP's issue. Say I have a mod that changed the stage select screen to be entirely different (specifically the melee netplay community build), and I wanted to change what stages are in the slots that are presented for the sake of having a different selection OR to have that menu work with a different mod (like SD remix or sillymelee).

how would I go about changing the ID's that the select screen is presenting to match the IDs of the stages I would rather have? (example having fourside be switched with final destination)

I'm straight up terrible with coding and numbers in general, and the Fast debug version of dolphin wont even launch the game for me while regular dolphin loads it just fine.

This has stumped me for the past 3 weeks and even though I've looked into almost every guide I can and practically every thread, I can't understand any of this HEX stuff other then "Xcode=Yid/function Xcode gets pasted over Zcode in start.dol".

Please if anyone can help me make sense of any of this I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to be spending a whole year poking around at melee, figuring out how to mod it just to change something so small.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You just want clicking Fourside to load normal FD?

N00B64

Smash Cadet
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. You just want clicking Fourside to load normal FD?
at least as an example of what I need to change in order to correct something, yes.

I want to re arrange what stages are what on the stage select screen of the community netplay build.
when using this stage select screen

with SD remix (while keeping the netplay community build's stages), stages like fourside end up being peaches castle, or pokemon stadium becomes MK2, which isn't what I want.

simply, I wish to change what icon locates to what stage, rather then replacing or adding stages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom