• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replace a Character With..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
If you could replace any character in Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS (DLC included), who would you replace with who?

For instance, replacing Corrin or Bayonetta with Bomberman :glare:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Dr. Mario with Paper Mario. I'm sure people would appreciate another Mario that has an original moveset. He would have his own stage too that would make everyone 2D. Maybe the battle theater from TTYD? Basically like Mr. Game and Watch and his Flat Zone.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Just one? Oh man, that's a toughie.

Remove Dark Pit, add Wolf.
Remove Lucina, add Krystal.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
I would like Duck Hunt or Little Mac swapped for another Fire Emblem character. Because six just isn't enough. :p

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Dr. Mario with Paper Mario. I'm sure people would appreciate another Mario that has an original moveset. He would have his own stage too that would make everyone 2D. Maybe the battle theater from TTYD? Basically like Mr. Game and Watch and his Flat Zone.
Very interesting, I like your take on the idea.

Just one? Oh man, that's a toughie.

Remove Dark Pit, add Wolf.
Remove Lucina, add Krystal.
I very much agree with you on Dark Pit and Wolf (Bring on the Star Fox!)
But Lucina is the gr8est. :(

Flonominal

Smash Rookie
Very interesting, I like your take on the idea.

I very much agree with you on Dark Pit and Wolf (Bring on the Star Fox!)
But Lucina is the gr8est. :(
Sorry man but I can't stand all of these Fire Emblem characters lol They should've stopped it with Marth, Roy, and Ike imo.

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Sorry man but I can't stand all of these Fire Emblem characters lol
I totally getcha. For me though, I would definitely, without a doubt, trade Corrin for Bomberman with the new upcoming DLC.

Flonominal

Smash Rookie
I totally getcha. For me though, I would definitely, without a doubt, trade Corrin for Bomberman with the new upcoming DLC.
Totally agree with you on that, Corrin was just, no. I think he/she were only put into Smash because it would advertise the new Fire Emblem game. Bomberman would've been so cool. Him and Snake would've made me buy Smash 4 instead of just playing the Wii U version on my friend's systems.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Totally agree with you on that, Corrin was just, no. I think he/she were only put into Smash because it would advertise the new Fire Emblem game. Bomberman would've been so cool. Him and Snake would've made me buy Smash 4 instead of just playing the Wii U version on my friend's systems.
On the contrary, there is a solid Fire Emblem fanbase. Yes, we are a very small group compared to fans of more popular characters like Snake or Wolf, but we exist nonetheless. Ever since Fates was announced in January, there has been many fans crazing over the game and its characters, such as Kamui (or Corrin in the English localization).

While it does advertise the game, I think Sakurai's also acknowledging the FE fan's excitement over the release of Fates soon. Personally, I love the fact that Corrin's a fighter.

Flonominal

Smash Rookie
On the contrary, there is a solid Fire Emblem fanbase. Yes, we are a very small group compared to fans of more popular characters like Snake or Wolf, but we exist nonetheless. Ever since Fates was announced in January, there has been many fans crazing over the game and its characters, such as Kamui (or Corrin in the English localization).

While it does advertise the game, I think Sakurai's also acknowledging the FE fan's excitement over the release of Fates soon. Personally, I love the fact that Corrin's a fighter.
It's cool that you like Corrin, and I'm not trying to disrespect anyone for liking FE but here is the problem with Fire Emblem having a ton of characters, they all are pretty much the same. They all got swords, they all have similar fighting styles, and there are only a few minor details that distinguish each character. For example, what's the main difference between Marth and Roy? Their swords have different sweetspots that can accumulate damage better. Marth and Robin? Robin has several projectiles. Marth and Ike? Ike has a bigger sword and Ike's heavier. The other series in Smash Bros that have a ton of characters don't really have this issue imo. Apart from Mario and Dr. Mario, the Mario franchise is represented very uniquely in Smash Bros. You got your heavy characters, your floaties, your neutral characters, etc. Same with Pokemon. Each pokemon has a unique moveset and playstyle. To be honest I think why this happens is because Fire Emblem is a more realistic type of game, with everyone being a swordsman and all, while Pokemon and Mario are so weird that there are many possibilities for unique characters. In conclusion, Fire Emblem is a great series, I can certainly admit that, but for it to have the 3rd largest representation in Smash Bros? That kinda irks me.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Replace Rosalina with Majikoopa, Replace Olimar/Alph with General Scales or Wolf, Replace Corrin with KIng/Kaptain K.Rool, and finally Replace Bayonetta with Shantae.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
It's cool that you like Corrin, and I'm not trying to disrespect anyone for liking FE but here is the problem with Fire Emblem having a ton of characters, they all are pretty much the same. They all got swords, they all have similar fighting styles, and there are only a few minor details that distinguish each character. For example, what's the main difference between Marth and Roy? Their swords have different sweetspots that can accumulate damage better. Marth and Robin? Robin has several projectiles. Marth and Ike? Ike has a bigger sword and Ike's heavier. The other series in Smash Bros that have a ton of characters don't really have this issue imo. Apart from Mario and Dr. Mario, the Mario franchise is represented very uniquely in Smash Bros. You got your heavy characters, your floaties, your neutral characters, etc. Same with Pokemon. Each pokemon has a unique moveset and playstyle. To be honest I think why this happens is because Fire Emblem is a more realistic type of game, with everyone being a swordsman and all, while Pokemon and Mario are so weird that there are many possibilities for unique characters. In conclusion, Fire Emblem is a great series, I can certainly admit that, but for it to have the 3rd largest representation in Smash Bros? That kinda irks me.
I like their move sets, all of them, but they could have gone to Zelda characters. Ike's could have gone to Fierce Deity Link or Lucina's could have gone to Ghirahim.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I would trade Dark Pit for Dark Samus, and Dr. Mario for Blood Falcon. Metroid and F-Zero could use some more representation.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
True. I love them all, but it is weird how most of them have Counter and use Swords.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Replace Bayonetta with Shantae.
oooh, I totally forgot about Shantae. She'd be a nice inclusion, and would fit more with the style of Smash 4, more so than Bayonetta.
I would trade Dark Pit for Dark Samus, and Dr. Mario for Blood Falcon. Metroid and F-Zero could use some more representation.
I agree 100%

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
oooh, I totally forgot about Shantae. She'd be a nice inclusion, and would fit more with the style of Smash 4, more so than Bayonetta.

I agree 100%
Yeah I think a lot of people did after the summer. She had a lot of hype in the middle of the ballot, but sadly not the beginning or end.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Does replacing palettes count? Because if so I'd say replace one of Ness' palettes with Ninten's. It'd appease the people insisting on Ninten being in Smash without any of the backlash of another Ness moveset clone.

As far as characters go, I'd say replace Varia Suit Samus with Ridley. We'd still have Samus in the form of ZSS, it'd add another heavyweight to the cast and it'd appease everyone asking for Ridley. I know Ridley will probably never be in Smash, but in this hypothetical situation, that's what I'd want.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Does replacing palettes count? Because if so I'd say replace one of Ness' palettes with Ninten's. It'd appease the people insisting on Ninten being in Smash without any of the backlash of another Ness moveset clone.
Replacing palettes, huh? Sounds interesting. There HAS been some missed opportunities. Let's see here...
  1. Replace non-default Robins (everything but the first two palettes) with: Hooded Robin (mute), Hooded Female Robin (also mute), Grandmaster Robin, Grandmaster Female Robin, Grandmaster Hooded Robin (mute), Grandmaster Hooded Female Robin (mute)
  2. Replace Mario's NES Open Tournament Golf/Family Computer Golf: U.S. Course ("American Mario") with Super Mario Sunshine Mario
  3. Replace some of Lucina's alts with Masked Lucina, Masked "Marth" Lucina, "Marth" Lucina (no mask)
  4. Replace one of Marth's alts with FE1 Marth
  5. Maybe squeeze White Yoshi in Yoshi's palette options in there too?
  6. Replace one of Dr. Mario's alts with Dr. Luigi

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman

As far as characters go, I'd say replace Varia Suit Samus with Ridley. We'd still have Samus in the form of ZSS, it'd add another heavyweight to the cast and it'd appease everyone asking for Ridley. I know Ridley will probably never be in Smash, but in this hypothetical situation, that's what I'd want.
The Palettes I'd replace:
Wireframe Little Mac with Piston Honda, Dark Blue Captain Falcon with his SNES outfit (also take away his scarf from every costume)
Fox's yellow costume with his Star Fox 64 look and finally Falco's sky blue costume with his Star Fox 64 outfit.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Does replacing palettes count?
Yeah, palettes are included.
Although I'd still switch Corrin with Bomberman, the palettes I'd replace would be:
Replace Pikachu wearing his Choice Band (The white Japanese headband) with Raichu, because Raichu is a personal favorite of mine.
I'd also replace Mewtwo's cyan color with his metal armor he had from Pokemon: The First Movie

Replace Dark Pit with Wolf
Replace Dr. Mario with Captain Toad
Replace Lucina with King K. Rool
Replace Corrin with Bandana Dee
Replace Bayonetta with Bomberman
Replace Wii Fit Trainer with Ridley
Replace the Mii Fighters with Kamek, Gengar and Pig Ganon

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Replace "cotton-candy" Mario palette (aka, blue overalls and hat plus pink shirt) with orange shirt and hat plus red overalls (a la Super Mario Maker).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
:4cloud: Replace with Terra Bradford
:4corrin: Replace with Ridley.
:4darkpit: Replace with Dixie Kong.
:4drmario: Replace with Wolf.
:4duckhunt: Replace with Mach Rider.
:4lucina: Replace with Isaac.
:4feroy: Replace with Inkling

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Replace Lucina with Shovel knight. Nintendo KNOWS how to add different characters together in one. Look at Robin, Wii fit, Olimar/Alph, and Corrin. Replace duck hunt with ice climbers. even if Nintendo couldn't do it, why not change some code? make both Popo and Nana controlled at the same time? Even with their attacks. (Downside would be, they cannot seperate.) Look at Luma with Rosalina, something like that can work. But I must say even If the ice climbers could not make it, the effort of replacing them with another NES character is a very good effort.

EDIT: Replace :4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: with King K. Rool. I like the idea of wii fit and being unique for fighting with workouts. But the downside of Wii Fit is that the character is not really appealing much. Nintendo has many other options for characters with unique moves that can work. K. Rool being one example, he has many moves that can work and use, but the downside would be that his moves is very limited to the games he is in.

Last edited:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I would replace Lucina and Bayonetta with Isaac and Isa Jo.

kylexv

Smash Master
* Corrin -> Inkling
As much as I like Corrin's moveset, I feel that Smash has much too many Fire Emblem characters. Inklings would be a perfect choice here, as it is further promoting Nintendo's hit title last year.

* Dark Pit -> Alph
A clone for a clone. For me, I feel that Pikmin deserves a second rep more than Kid Icarus deserved a third, as Pikmin is more recognizable and it's the only series in Smash made by Miyamoto with only one character (correct me if I am wrong).

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Lucina -> Lyn
Dark Pit -> Viridi
Dr Mario -> Wolf
Roy -> Issac
Corrin -> King K Rool
Wii Fit Trainer -> Black Shadow
Rosalina -> Rundas
Duck Hunt -> Mach Rider

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Dr Mario -> Wolf
I see that everyone wants Wolf to make a return to the Smash Bros franchise and I'm one of them, but it makes you wonder why they didn't at least make Wolf an alternate skin for Fox like they did with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I see that everyone wants Wolf to make a return to the Smash Bros franchise and I'm one of them, but it makes you wonder why they didn't at least make Wolf an alternate skin for Fox like they did with Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.
Well they sort of did.

The reason they wouldn't make him a full alt is for the same reason Sakurai decided to give Dr.Mario his own slot, so fans of those characters won't just feel cheapened out. Sakurai is usually a do it perfect, or not at all guy. Which is also why he probably didn't bring back Ice Climbers as you'd need to do major changes ( Granted he brought this :4olimar: guy back with major changes though the changes for them would be even bigger ) or Wii U ( And possibly New 3DS? ) exclusives.

That said...I hope Lucina and Dark Pit are just alts or cut altogether in the next game, they make the roster look worse for the eyes imo.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Replace Cloud with Geno
Replace Dark Pit with Wolf
Replace Bayonetta with M. Bison
Replace Sonic with... No one really, I just want him gone.
Replace Corrin with Isaac
Replace Lucas with Bandanna Dee
Replace Toon Link with Vaati

Papyrus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jetmat117
Here's what I would do.
Make :4lucina: like :4robinf: but for :4marth:, and put :wolf: in her place.
Make :4drmario: a palette for :4mario:, and put King K Rool in his place.
Replace :4wiifit: with :snake:.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Replace:
:4bayonetta: With Bomberman
:4ryu: With Rayman
:4cloud: With Geno
:4darkpit: With Ninten
:rosalina: With Isaac
:4corrin: With Skull Kid
:4tlink: With Ridley
:4lucina: With :popo: