• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Completed Remastered stock icons Pack

Cherrim

Smash Rookie
Hello to everyone, smashers. I'll begin by saying that I personally never liked how the vanilla stock icons looked, so I tried to fix them a bit and decided to release them here. With "tried to fix" I mean that I noticed how the palettes of the icons are very poor, and I tried my best to enrich them with more colors and details. You can use these icons both on console and PC (thanks N NippleHerpies for the console files!)
Applying these remastered stock icons is very easy.

For console:
Extract the .dat/.usd files anywhere you want, then run DAT Texture Wizard, click on File -> Open Disc (ISO/GCM)... and choose your Super Smash Bros. Melee ISO, or just drag and drop the ISO file on the app. Once DTW loaded the ISO, click on Disc Operations -> Import Multiple Files, select the .dat/.usd files you just extracted, then Open and save the changes in File -> Save, or press Ctrl+S, it's the same. Now your ISO is ready!

For Dolphin:
You just have to put the Stock icons folder in Dolphin folder\User\Load\Textures\TITLEID\, where the title ID is the code that identifies the game (GALE01 for NTSC Melee, NMNB01 for Nordic Melee Netplay Build) and enable the Load Custom Textures in Graphics -> Advanced.

This is where you must put the Stock icons folder

This is the option you must enable to load the icons, in the Graphics section. I think that enabling Prefetch Custom Textures too is good, it makes the emulator load the textures just when you launch the game.
And you're done!

Here are the stock icons for every character, compared to the original ones:

I gave the right colors to the helmets, I tested them in game and they are well distinguishable between each other.

I just used a bit of creativity with Puff. I redid the red alt and added some bands in the blue and green alts. I gave what they seem to be a ruby and a sapphire at the crown in the yellow alt. Also the red flower should be on the right, but I put it on the left because it would impossible to see it nicely.

The white alt has yellowish skin because the in game model, that resembles the NES color scheme.

It could seem difficult, but they are pretty distinguishable in game.

I gave him his smile back.

The crowns don't have the same color as the in game models in order to be distinguishable.

I worked a bit on the Red's hat. It was a bit weird, in my opinion.

The same as Marth.

The same as Peach. I also gave the glass that azure color in the pink alt.

The result feels a bit different from the original, but I prefer it this way.

I have to admit that I don't feel totally okay with this, but I think it's still nice. (and it's Zelda, c'mon, you play her just because you didn't press A/to troll!)

Download:
Console:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/l6tlgzsdges47ih
Dolphin: https://www.mediafire.com/file/27q7ysqa2p33b5b

FAQ:
Q: I think this is a great idea, but I think some of them are really bad.
A: Then tell me! I'll try to fix the possible :)

Q: I like them and I want to use them when I'm netplaying, but will they cause some weird bugs or desynch?
A: No, it's really a simple edit. It's like using Melee HD.

Q: I'm already using custom textures for the character models, so these stock icons aren't okay for me!
A: You can just use them as a base. Change the color of the icons and you're done.

Q: Ehm, some of the icons look the same as the original, or at least they are really similar.
A: Look closer. You'll notice the differences.

Q: I just like some of them.
A: Then use just some of them! If you don't want to use some icons, you can just delete them and you're done, for Dolphin. For the console, you have to manually put the original icons you want in the many files using DAT Texture Wizard.

If there's some problems or you want to share some opinions about them, feel free to tell it! And I hope you enjoyed the final result!

Credit: SmashWiki for the artworks.

Last edited:

NippleHerpies

Smash Rookie
I've imported all your textures to the necessary .dat and .usd files to be able to use these icons on console. They look good!
Download link to files here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/93jywlzp8t7fk7o/Cherrium%27s_Stock_Icons_for_ISO.zip/file (Updated)
Just figured leave this here in case anyone else wanted this on console.

Also since you're open to constructive criticism:
Young Link & Link look way too pale. Young Link even looks kinda evil
Peach looks cross-eyed
Roy's default stock icon looks like it's supposed to be blue Roy's icon and vice versa
and finally I think Jigglypuff's red alt's stock icon has the flower facing the wrong way in comparison to the costume

Besides those minor flaws this project is pretty good!

Last edited:

Cherrim

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much!
By the way, how did you do? I tried to import these icons but there were too little palettes... By the way you're right for Peach, I don't like her mouth. That's what ruins everything, I have to fix it. For Roy alts, ops! I switched the blue alt with the default on by error. Link and Young Link.. okay I'll fix their skintone and maybe the YL's face too

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
These look great! Besides the already mentioned criticism, my only is that all of Pikachu's alts kept their default skin color.

On another note, I just noticed that the vanilla stock icons were made brighter in colors to match the CSS mugshots and portraits. So, I wonder if you'll ever update them to match your remastered stock icons? Just an idea.

Cherrim

Smash Rookie
and finally I think Jigglypuff's red alt's stock icon has the flower facing the wrong way in comparison to the costume
Forgot to answer about this!
You're right, but I wanted to well show the flower, it was the only possible way

These look great! Besides the already mentioned criticism, my only is that all of Pikachu's alts kept their default skin color.

On another note, I just noticed that the vanilla stock icons were made brighter in colors to match the CSS mugshots and portraits. So, I wonder if you'll ever update them to match your remastered stock icons? Just an idea.
Yeah you're right for Pikachu, I'm gonna fix it
And I noticed the colour variation for CSS and mugshots. I wanted to restore the original artworks, but it would be too much work and I started using custom renders for them, so I don't think I'll restore the vanilla ones. If one day I'll have the time to do it, why not (I would update you here in the case)

Cherrim

Smash Rookie
Okay guys, I have some updates:

I just changed the skintone and yes, I think he's better like this

Yeah, he may look a bit evil or at least angry. I fixed his skintone and changed a bit the eyebrows. I'm not 100% happy with the result but hey, I still call it an improvement

I switched them and fixed the band in the blue alt

I just noticed black Marth has darker hair, so I changed the icon

I removed her smile (sorry Peach), gave a color to the lips and just fixed a bit the eyes. I think it's way better like this, that smile was too dumb, I have to admit it

Fixed this too to match the ingame model skin

I also updated the download link in the first post
And thank you guys for the critics!

Last edited:

NippleHerpies

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much!
By the way, how did you do? I tried to import these icons but there were too little palettes... By the way you're right for Peach, I don't like her mouth. That's what ruins everything, I have to fix it. For Roy alts, ops! I switched the blue alt with the default on by error. Link and Young Link.. okay I'll fix their skin tone and maybe the YL's face too
l imported them with DAT Texture Wizard.

Okay guys, I have some updates:

I just changed the skintone and yes, I think he's better like this

Yeah, he may look a bit evil or at least angry. I fixed his skintone and changed a bit the eyebrows. I'm not 100% happy with the result but hey, I still call it an improvement

I switched them and fixed the band in the blue alt

I just noticed black Marth has darker hair, so I changed the icon

I removed her smile (sorry Peach), gave a color to the lips and just fixed a bit the eyes. I think it's way better like this, that smile was too dumb, I have to admit it

Fixed this too to match the ingame model skin

I also updated the download link in the first post
And thank you guys for the critics!
I'll update my download link to include your new stock icons. I like all the changes you made! Also i'm not sure if it's just my mind but I think YL may still look slightly angry. But I'm just not sure if I just can't unsee evil YL lol

Cherrim

Smash Rookie
l imported them with DAT Texture Wizard.
It's really weird, months ago I tried to import them but I got some errors. I tried now and it's okay. Weird. Still the icons quality decreases a bit because the little palettes, but, I mean... the quality is not 100% as the original, but 99%. In game they look the same

I'll update my download link to include your new stock icons. I like all the changes you made! Also i'm not sure if it's just my mind but I think YL may still look slightly angry. But I'm just not sure if I just can't unsee evil YL lol
I added the download link in the original post too! Thank you :)
For YL... he's not perfect I know, I'll fix something in the future, but for now I think it's still okay

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
For YL, at least I can suggest you make his eye position straight, like the CSP. Currently he looks like he's looking to the side a bit.

Top Bottom