• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Release day thoughts on Ganon?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Wondering what you all think now after being able to play him for a few hours.

WaLuP

Smash Rookie
I think he´s alright. They improved everything about him but got rid of Ganoncide though. His recovery is the same though. I have discovered a combo that can do 50%. So yeah. He is a fun character that I can see a lot of people pick up and use for competitive reasons or casual.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Is that combo shield break to reverse warlock by chance? XD

I think I am coming to the conclusion that fast characters still f us up. He definitely is not bottom tier anymore, I’m going to say C tier at best but probably lower.

He does well against anyone who isn’t super fast.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Is that combo shield break to reverse warlock by chance? XD

I think I am coming to the conclusion that fast characters still f us up. He definitely is not bottom tier anymore, I’m going to say C tier at best but probably lower.

He does well against anyone who isn’t super fast.
Agreed.
I already reached Elite status with Ganondorf and I have to say, heavy combo characters like Pikachu, Bayo, Mario , etc are gonna be a pain to deal with.
Not impossible by any means because now they actually have to fear the power of every aerial and special.

Jab is godlike, seems to have a lot of shield-stun.
Dtilt kills above 120.
Ftilt kills above 120.

One thing I noticed is that Wizard's Foot now eats non-charged energy projectiles like Pika's Jolt or Mario Fireballs.
And Wizard's Foot is also a kill move around 100-120 on chars like those above.

Choke is a combo starter:
- Choke + No tech from opponent + Down tilt + ( Up air or Nair or Fair )
- Choke + Opponent techs away + Wizard's Foot

Not any actual true combos, but now that Airdodges have been nerfed these can be pulled of consistently.

Remember that the new tech for short-hop aerials helps a lot, you can Nair for days or Nair + Bair + Fair with almost no lag whatsoever.

Having a lot of fun playing this version of Ganondorf.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
It is a way more satisfyinf dorf for sure and F Pichu he is so hard to hit.

WaLuP

Smash Rookie
No, it isn't shield break to reverse B. I talk about it more on my own thread so you can check it out. Also please help me to verify if anything is wrong in my findings. Please and thank you...Also yeah Ganondorf is so much fun now.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
I’m loving him. He’s faster in many ways, he hits harder than ever, and people are genuinely confused on how to deal with him, as I’ve noticed not many are using him. This Dorf is on par with Melee, maybe better. He is in my eyes at least C tier, which is a huge buff from being trash like in Brawl and 4. I’m maining him, because K Rool is all the hype right now, and may get nerfed, and waaayyy too many people are using him. It’s boring in my opinion to use overly popular characters.

Nothing is more satisfying than connecting his down air, his forward smash, or ganonciding... so much fun... I’m winning many 1 on 1s and consistently get the most kills in FFA matches.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I’m really worried about a Usmash nerf it’s soooo good.

Any map with platforms is awesome for us.

I haven’t seen too many dorfs eother.

I Like Link

Smash Rookie
Against anyone without crazy projectiles, I feel like I am not at much of a disadvantage because of what Ganondorf makes up for in power. If he ends up being at least mid-tier I'll be really happy. I wish wizard's foot can bypass more projectiles that give him a lot of trouble, although I'm glad it now goes through more things. Metaknight and Inkling in elite matches have given me a lot trouble, but despite the beating I always take we're both usually at our last stock with high percent. There's no saying if it's because I'm playing Ganondorf or if they're just better players than me. Front smash allows him to KO crazy early, and his aerials seem just as strong or stronger as in Smash 4, but I feel like his tilts are slightly weaker at killing, but that's fair I guess.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
The new Ganon feels great. I miss the old u-smash, but the new one is pretty great. Huge range, it's disjointed, and it protects Ganon on all sides. D-smash is far better than than the old one. Side smash is ridiculous if you can land it.

The new short hop mechanic benefits Ganon a lot because he already does big damage, and knockback isn't affected. I've found that short hop u-air will whiff against smaller opponents, so that's kind of a bummer.

Aerial flame chokes aren't as effective off-stage now that Ganon dies first. The old one was great because it was a deterrent for when you're trying to recover back on stage. But now, the opponent doesn't have to fear you when you're both on last stock.

Wizard Foot is way better now than before. Grounded version has much better KO potential and less end lag, and aerial Wiz Foot still obliterates shields at 50% capacity.

Last edited:

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
This is without a doubt the best version of Ganon we got (besides PM ofc)

The landlag and jump squat improvements greatly benefited Ganon.
But the overall power of the moves and them being speed up is really what makes him so much better.
The smash attacks are all better! I don't miss the old up smash at all!
This new one covers all sides and gets ppl through platforms very well.
And deters ppl from approaching you from the top.

Side smash is a great edge guard and even goes through platforms so it can be a great mix up.
Down smash is by far much better and and Ganon ducking while doing it makes some attacks miss him if they are high enough.

Only buffs i think he still needs is a longer Up B recovery.
Wizard Foot going through all but the strongest projectiles.
And Warlock Punch having super armor throughout the whole move so its actually somewhat useful and be sort of a kinda "counter" if timed right.
(Still wish we had Dead Mans Volley ofc)

But overall his kit this time is very good. Needs a few improvements and he may be viable in high end tourneys

Last edited:

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
He's blatantly better than he's ever been. The threat of getting KO'd by Ganondorf super early if you are careless has been taken to the extreme. If you're a light character don't be surprised if you eat an Usmash at 70 and die. Really puts the fear in your opponent. That said he's still weak against projectiles and hyper aggression. But getting combo'd isn't the biggest deal since you only need a few hits to even it up. You will get combo'd though.

Top Bottom