• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regular Tourneys to be Discontinued from September 30th

Nintendo of Japan has just announced that Regular Tourneys will end on September 30th.

Regular Tourneys are the tournaments that are created by Nintendo. After September 30th, that section on the tournament screen will be blank. It seems that Normal Tourneys will not be affected, so the community can still create their own tournaments for the time being.

Let us know how you think of the news in the comments below.

PushDustIn has never won a regular tourney. Follow him on Twitter in order to give him the support he needs.

PushDustin

Comments

I don't like these news. The fact that they discontinue a service like that brings something bad with it, I don't know why.

Nothing of value will be lost.

Does go to show the Wii U is on it's way out, though. I hope they keep Mario Kart 8's full features for a while longer.

Last edited:
I don't like these news. The fact that they discontinue a service like that brings something bad with it, I don't know why.
I disagree. The service was useless to begin with, it was poorly designed and I think Nintendo realizes most people simply don't use it.

That's a shame. I stopped entering their Regular Tournies because they removed the Anything Goes formats from their lineup (all Miis' sizes/movesets included, all stages save Temple and GCO I think, items on, custom moves/equipment on). I used to destroy everybody with Mr. Game & Watch by spawning with bob-ombs to absorb for a fully-powered Oil Panic. If you didn't have an all-defense loadout you were pretty much ded. Good times. Good, salty times.

That's a shame. I stopped entering their Regular Tournies because they removed the Anything Goes formats from their lineup (all Miis' sizes/movesets included, all stages save Temple and GCO I think, items on, custom moves/equipment on). I used to destroy everybody with Mr. Game & Watch by spawning with bob-ombs to absorb for a fully-powered Oil Panic. If you didn't have an all-defense loadout you were pretty much ded. Good times. Good, salty times.
Thanks for the idea

Good riddance tbh, I nor most competitive players got anything from the mode aside from disappointment from the potential it had, absolutely horrible way to do a tournament mode, forcing it into online made it even worse, the setup for 'competitive' play on tournament mode gave no time for actual play to occur and promoted stalling to win, which isnt enjoyable, the possibilities for tournament mode were really promising but it ended up being just another letdown in the smash 4 online format.

I enjoyed these, it's disappointing to me that they are removing them so soon, also all these comments saying "good" are really annoying.

Sure, you don't like it, but others did so you don't have to be so rude. >.>

At least I won a tournament before they discontinued it. Winning that one tournament was the very reason why I stopped playing them. No reward for winning other than bragging rights to people you will most likely never see again.

Smash 4's online-only tournament system kind of sucks, and needs some improvements in future installments of Smash. Like giving us the chance to create regular bracket styled tournaments instead of it being Nintendo-created only.

We got the real life tourneys though, so not much has been lost.

When there still were a lot of people playing, I used to enjoy this mode. It was the only way for me to play against other people with Miis and custom moves. For the past few months it's been really empty whenever I've checked it. Maybe this news will launch a short resurgence, I don't know.

D
It's a shame to see regular tourneys go, as it was a great idea, but it's entirely their fault for managing the mode so poorly. I could write a goddamn thesis paper on what they did wrong with that thing and buy the net worth of everyone I see playing on it in a single day.

Oh we have real life tourneys it's fine :)
Then there are those who love the game but have no competition around them, are too young to drive, have other people who don't really care about the competitive scene in the first place, and have no tournaments around them.

The above statement describes south Georgia's competitive scene in a nutshell

Perfect. Just Perfect. Instead of improving the Tournament Mode into the one the community has wanted it to be, they end up discontinuing it instead. Just what we deserve...

-.-

And here we go .... That's a bit unfortunate, but I have to say that when I started with this mode, I dropped it progressively, it was frustrating to see that they were not even 8 people after waiting 20 minutes in the large practice room, except while week-ends/holidays or after school/work hours. In Europe the rooms are limited to 8 or 16 people, and it was quite unpopular, some were everytime empty then they offers something different than the regular online modes.

I will regret that Mii/Customs Tourney. :(

1) This is Nintendo of Japan, so we don't know if it will affect America servers. I think everyone is jumping ship way too early to even say or think the services will become unavailable in the US, because there could be way more factors than what we think there are for a move like that in Japan. I think it's more appropriate to wait until Nintendo of America says anything before making misleading titles really.

2) The source?
I think I need more sources than just some webpage of text translated as a apology note and some URL "https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2016/0831.html"

I want more to work with than this for a conclusion.

Last edited:
Meh. They sucked anyway. Why we never got a local Tourney Mode is beyond me. I usually have tons of cousins and friends who come to play and I used the feature a lot during the Melee and Brawl days. I don't get why we don't have it anymore.

Meh. They sucked anyway. Why we never got a local Tourney Mode is beyond me. I usually have tons of cousins and friends who come to play and I used the feature a lot during the Melee and Brawl days. I don't get why we don't have it anymore.

Clearly I am in the minority, but I loved this mode and will be very sad to see it go. I play maybe 2-3 online tournaments a day, and really enjoy that you are trying to climb a bracket rather than just the fairly stake-less FG 1v1s. It's also nice to be able to play For Fun games which are extremely unlikely to be filled with people who will troll and go 3 vs 1, and to have the tournament conclude with 1v1 with items all stages for a change of pace. I also realize most people don't care about win rate stats in FG but for whatever reason I'm focused on it, and playing tournaments allows me to try new characters without worrying about it effecting win rate. You can also play FG 4 person FFA games without it being time rules. I was winning about 75% of the tournaments I played, which was rewarding and encouraged me to go to real life tournaments (where I haven't done nearly as well, but that's another story).

My point is, this mode had some nice advantages and can help be a bridge for casual players to get more into the competitive scene. In SoCal I was having very few issues with bad lag or not being able to find active tournaments unless it was like 3 in the morning. As someone who works full time and doesn't have a super convenient local tournament to go to, this mode definitely did fill a gap and have value for some people, and I could honestly see myself playing Smash less with this gone. I guess I don't understand the thinking behind removing it from the game- if you hate it, you can just never use it, and if you love it, it's there for you.

Last edited:
I feel as if this it going to come with a heavy patch near the end of the month. Simply put, I think that Nintendo is going to do one last de facto patch before they're truly finished with the game. I don't believe that they'll immediately wipe out the Regular Tourney without having to do something like removing the coding, so there may be a patch to remove the automated systems overall.

If there is to be a patch coming the 30th, one would hope they would do something that ends the game's development in the biggest bang possible.

Hopefully I'm right about a patch.

I really don't care too much about online tourneys anymore...but I wish they had just implemented an offline tourney feature like in previous smash bros games.

Then there are those who love the game but have no competition around them, are too young to drive, have other people who don't really care about the competitive scene in the first place, and have no tournaments around them.

The above statement describes south Georgia's competitive scene in a nutshell
I feel as if the tourney mode Nintendo provided didn't act as a solid standard for how tournaments are irl. So saying that the tourney mode acted as a substitute seems rather off. Seeing as the time limit was literally half the standard (6 being normal, and 3 being the tourney mode) and it was only FD if I recall correctly basically makes it a worse for glory because even for glory has a reasonable time limit for most styles of play.

At least they're still making tweaks on the game, hopefully, a balance patch still possible. But something tells that we wont have any more patches... they had to stop someday though.

Top Bottom