• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regional Slang/Accents

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Ugh, the Proom talks about girls/sex/sex with girls too much. Can we discuss something else?

Post about your very own accent and slang terms that other peoplle may find strange/funny/strangely funny.

Well, I live in New Hampshire, and have a bit of a New England accent. I pronounce the words 'kitten,' 'mountain,' 'mitten' and the likes without the t-sound. Also, 'Carrie,' 'carry' and 'Kerry' are said the say way.

I use the term 'wicked' alot, too.

Et tu, Brute?

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
In Dutch we have a lot of slang, especially coming from the Dutch Antilles. Words like "chappies" (pron.: tjah-pees) which means guys, "matties"(pron.: mah-tees) which comes from "maten" which means friends or mates, and this is just a VERY small part of the slang that the youth uses. Old people can't even understand them when they use all the slang they've got.

Also, surprisingly, we have a lot of different accents for such a small country. We've got "Fries"(pron.: Frees, not potato fries :p), and you could actually call it another language, so much difference is there. Honestly, everyone here who doesn't speak it, can't understand a single word of it.
And we've got Haags, Amsterdams, Rotterdams, Brabants, Achterhoeks and Limburgs(and "kakkers", but that's some sort of rich folks accent). And there is a lot of difference between all of this.

Peeze

Smash Master
In the boondocks of florida, where drinking is legal at age 9, when somebody says something stupid the reply is "your drunk". Or "i'll hog tie you to my tailgate boy".

Lots of deaths down here too.

~rh

Smash Lord
Vicious and phat still have some use in my area of Maryland.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Southern accents in england suck.

i'm from the north, and words like grass, bath, cast, graph etc. are all pronounced the same way as things like cat or mat. since i've moved to london everyone says the posh way of b-ah-th, gr-ah-ss etc. Some of my housemates still make fun of my accent because they can't get over how different it sounds. one person didn't even know what i was talking about when i was analysing graphs :(

i used to have a really strong glaswegian accent from scotland. luckily i lost that by about 10. i can still remember saying things like ''ach, she's just a wee gurrl.'' D:

then there's the awful ''azn rude boi'' slang in the area of london i live now.

bear = loads
bait = blatant
cochin' = hanging around
bruv = mate/friend/brother
blud = mate
chillax = relax
innit' = god knows, they just put it on the end of all their sentences.

there's so many more but that'll do...

some of my favourite proper british slang:

lash
prat
minging
lass
maccy d's
proper <insert adjective here>
blag
'brolly
git
nutter

i'll let you guys figure some of those out since most of you probably haven't heard them :D

fantanoice

Smash Cadet
I talk with a General Australian Accent (there's Broad, General and Cultivated.)

Broad is the typically stereotypical Australian accent, like the way Steve Irwin used to speak. Cultivated (which mind you, is only a name) is leaning towards a British accent. General is in the middle.

So I have aspects of "bogan-ness," but not quite as much as Steve Irwin would have. :p

I also talk really fast so I mumble and get tongue-tied a lot.

There's also a joke that when an Australian goes to "the hospital to die," they're actually going to "the hospital today."

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I don't speak with an accent or use any uncommon slang, but I've read somewhere that 'feeder' is a slang word only common, or especially common to Houston citizens. It's the road that runs parallel of highways.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't think I have much of an accent from North or South (just plain American), but everyone from the south seems to recognize that I'm not from Texas, so I dunno.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Uhh... I've heard that people from Hawaii say "yeah" a lot, in order to sort of answer unspoken questions.
...yeah.

Like that. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

And have all of you heard of "Pigeon"? or Hawaii Creolized English?
Someone might say something like "You like one hot dog?...Eh, brah, whe[re] da kine stay!", translating to "Do you want a hot dog?...Where is it [or where did it go]?"

I personally choose not to speak pigeon. Ever. But I can understand it. A lot of locals can speak it (as a first or second language), and many can even switch between pigeon and standard English at their will.
Most people think of pigeon as broken English. But pigeon is considered its own language, so I guess it's not surprising that people can switch between it and "standard" English (as people can switch between speaking Japanese and English).

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I pronounce the phrase "air conditioner" more or less like "egg nishna". That's about as ocker as I get in my day to day pronunciation.

Slang that I'm pretty sure is unique to Melbourne is the term "muzza". As far as I'm aware, its etymology lies in the name "Mario" and is used to describe what are universally known as guidos.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
A few Utahns, usually the ones that were born and raised here, tend to not understand the concept of the word 'saw', as in "I saw you at the grocery store yesterday!" You usually hear: "I seen you at the grocery store yesterday."

There's also a city that's a few miles from mine named Hurricane-- but it's pronounced Hurikin. For no reason. And it bothers me, a lot.

Also, since the population is 90% Mormon, there are a lot of creative substitutes for swear words. You'll usually never hear four-lettered profanity here-- and if you do, you'll notice that the general public will stop and stare at the person that says it.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I'm weird. Born and raised in the South, but I have zero accent. Like, none. People from the South never believe me when I say thats where I'm from, and people from the northern states swear that they don't know where I'm from, but I can't be from the South.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
in norcal we say like often and hella (or hecka) as well.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Ayup, up in Maine they've got lots of words that people from away don't understand. ("Ayup" means yes, a person "from away" is from out of state). Also, my favorite is the usage of s**t-ton and f**k-ton as adjectives describing size. Obviously a f**k-ton is bigger than a s**t-ton.

Slang words are one thing, but I think describing accents online is pretty difficult. Especially when it comes to the minute differences between, say, the accents in Central Vermont, the Northeast Kingdom, northern New Hampshire, Western Maine, and Downeast Maine. Those are the accents I know best, and can generally differentiate between them, although I'd imagine to somebody from Georgia they'd all sound like Boston accents. Which they clearly aren't.

Mike87

Smash Ace
I don't have an accent but for some reason when I went to NY I was told I didn't have a Miami accent, which isn't a cuban accent apparently.

Well being hispanic I've noticed a few older Cubans cant pronounce All or Beer right, its funny as hell

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
After a few years the southern accent is starting to grow on me. Especially when im drunk and angry. I'll use phrases like "Look here you," or "Ima square you away son."

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I'm not exactly sure how to type this....But in My Area of Montgomery County MD, some people tend to say "Cud" with a slight "spitting inflection on the C. We also say Vicious a lot

~rh

Smash Lord
I'm not exactly sure how to type this....But in My Area of Montgomery County MD, some people tend to say "Cud" with a slight "spitting inflection on the C. We also say Vicious a lot
Hahaha, I hear cud a lot too and Im in PG county.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
hehe I cannot say anything about my accent being a simple Mexican , but I can introduce you to the amazing and enlightening world of latin slangs. I'm not sure wich one is my favorite, I'd say " Me canso, ganso", translated literally onto "I get tired, goose" wich is used when you're eager to accept a challenge.

either that or "bailar con Bertha" , tranlsated "to dance with Bertha", wich is used as a referrent of losing. In melee, I usually danced with bertha a lot.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Let me tell you something. There is a special accent found only in the city of Dupont, PA. The people there pronuounce their threes as "tree". They say "as far as" and "and everything" more than anybody in the nation. They are truly a rare breed.

slave1

Smash Lord
A few Utahns, usually the ones that were born and raised here, tend to not understand the concept of the word 'saw', as in "I saw you at the grocery store yesterday!" You usually hear: "I seen you at the grocery store yesterday."

There's also a city that's a few miles from mine named Hurricane-- but it's pronounced Hurikin. For no reason. And it bothers me, a lot.

Also, since the population is 90% Mormon, there are a lot of creative substitutes for swear words. You'll usually never hear four-lettered profanity here-- and if you do, you'll notice that the general public will stop and stare at the person that says it.
everything he says is true. i dont swear so i use things like dirt fish or something like that. anyways Utan's also leave out the letter T in things like Mountins, people say mouins with a small slight pause thing where the t should be. and i hate it when people pronounce hurricane, hurikin it is anoying

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
In the suburbs near NYC we have a decent amount of slang/oddly accented words and phrases.

From off the top of my head people say stuff like ill (very), crazy (very), mad (very), ursty (obnoxious), brolic (strong), jelly rolls (fat), hella (very), craka/wondabread/casper (white person) , shank (psyche), and others

Then there are the words/phrases that are pronounced incorrectly, or as if a letter or a few were dropped off from it.

about -> bout
all right -> aight
a little bit -> lil

you get the gyst of it.

storm92

Smash Ace
Southern California... we use too much slang.

The top used phrases that most people would call slang would be:
sick--> awesome, cool
dank--> awesome
sweet--> cool
nice--> good, cool
Okay, I just realized that all our slang words are variations of awesome/cool.

We also put "like" before pretty much every other word.
"Uh" and "um" start almost every sentence.

We also put "just" in front of a lot of things.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
In New Hampshire, we use the term 'wicked' to replace very. Ex: "That moose was wicked big."

Also, we use the term 'really.' We just kinda put them at after sentences to add emphasis. Really.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Well im from Ireland.We have a lot of weird slang such as
"Deadly"(if something is really good)
"Sound job" which basically means thanks very much when you did someone some kind of favor
"Gargle" another name for booze
"Going for a slash"Going to the toilet.
"Bang on"usually used to describe a really nice/cool/liked person
"Knacker"[nah-ker] what we call certain people in Ireland who talk with stupid accents and wear track suits all the time and have a reputation for causing trouble.(like street gangs with out guns,well most of them)

To finish up here is a list of terms used by me and my friends when describing someone who is annoying you(eg killing you in smash)

You(followed by) S**t pipe,gee bag,s**t piece,*** dumpster,****,fudge packer,azz biscuit,anal junkie,bollox,nut rash,c**k merchant etc

There is loads more stuff but im sure you guys aren't interested in hearing more of Ireland's crazy slang.

Ash Hol

Smash Apprentice
im from colorado. and most coloradoans dont think they have accents. we take t sounds out of words. like sen'ence, mou'ain, ki'en. we say soda and sweet and nice etc. we say...... no certain slang compaired to other regions.

Top Bottom