• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Redesigning Veteran's Movesets

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
A lot of characters in smash have really old movesets, that barely changed over the years of being in Smash due to Sakurai not wanting to alienate older fans. While this is mostly a good thing, it's fun to think about what a character's moveset could be if they were put into the game today as a totally unique fighter, instead of whatever their actual grandfathered moveset is. Feel free to post any moveset ideas like this that you have!

Here's a few ideas of mine:

My gripe with Samus's moveset is that it feels nothing like playing Metroid. If I don't mention a move, assume it's unchanged.

General changes:
-She is now much heavier (heavier than Link, but less than Dedede. I'm not sure how weight works exactly.)

-She now has 3 midair jumps. She can jump infinitely in her games with space jump, after all! To compensate though, each jump is a little smaller than the original double jump.

-Morph ball is now the crouch animation, and she can move left or right while crouching (like luigi and others) to make her hurtbox very small. Her crouch moving speed is slightly faster than her walk speed. Jumping while crouching lets her have this small hitbox in midair, but she can't double jump in this animation. Using any aerial (other than down air) puts her into normal air state. Down air puts her in this state.

-Her dodge rolls are now closer in animation to Dark Samus's dodge rolls, since morph ball is elsewhere in her moveset.

Move changes:
-Down tilt and down air are now both the same move, morph ball bombs. This is her down b in the current moveset. It would be pretty much the same, except the bombs have no gravity, and using them to jump and gain height is now an actual possibility- just really difficult.

-Since she wouldn't have a spike anymore, F-Air's final hit now spikes.

Specials changes:
-Down B is now "weapon switch," a move that has a selection thing in a circle kind of like Shulk's monado arts, with 6 options, 3 on each side. Only one option is active on each side.

--The left side is options for her charge shot, which can be either ice, spazer, or plasma. Plasma is just a normal charge shot, very powerful. Ice has very little knockback, but freezes the enemy briefly, charging more freezes longer, full charge would allow enough time to hit an uncharged smash attack after running across the stage. Spazer is about 1/4th as strong as Plasma, but you fire three projectiles (in midair, they go 0 degrees, -45 degrees, and 45 degrees. If used on the ground, it's 0, 30, 60)

--The right side has super missiles, power bombs, and a reserve tank. Selecting super missiles changes your side b to super missiles. You can't use regular missiles with it selected. Power bombs changes your down tilt and down air to have larger hitboxes and do more damage, but can't be used for movement anymore. Selecting reserve tank allows Samus to store energy from attacking, and after switching off of reserve tank, will heal for 1/10th of the damage dealt during the time it was equipped.

-Side B is mostly the same, but significantly faster. Normal missiles would be about the same startup/endlag/knockback/damage as Falco's laser, but the projectile is a bit slower, and they don't home in anymore. When super missiles are equipped, (via down b) it functions mostly the same, but they have more damage/knockback/projectile speed. Also note: You can't use super missiles by using a "smash attack" side b, like in Samus's current moveset.

-Neutral B is now completely different. Tapping the B button will shoot out a weak projectile, but if you HOLD the B button, Samus will start flashing a bit, indicating she's charging. You have full use of her entire moveset, other than her specials of course since you're holding B. As soon as you release B, she fires the shot. (She will wait until hitstun/endlag ends if you release it during a move or while vulnerable.) With Plasma equipped, the damage/knockback are the same as her current charge shot, just with different mechanics.

-Up B is the same, but it doesn't put you in free fall. You can only use it once before grabbing ledge/touching ground.

Yoshi's moveset is pretty good, but I still want to change a few things.

General changes:
-Yoshi can now double jump 4 times, but each one has MUCH less height gain than the last. The first double jump is the same as the current one, the second has about 1/3rd the height of that, the third has 1/5th the height of the original, and the fourth gains no height at all, just keeps him at the same elevation.

-Yoshi's tongue counts as a tether grab, and can be used to grab ledge/zair.

Specials changes:
-Neutral B has twice as much range, and successfully turning your opponent into an egg will also give you another egg following behind you.

-Side B is no longer the egg roll thing. Instead, a fruit/cookie/food of some kind will spontaneously appear in front of Yoshi, and he'll eat it and create an egg. The egg will follow him around like in Yoshi's island, and he can have up to 3. If he's interrupted before eating the food, it will drop to the ground and can be eaten. This is not a good thing- because your enemy is much more likely to eat it than you are. This move should only be used when your opponent isn't close enough to hit you. It's about the same speed as one singular Falco laser.

-Up B no longer gains any height in midair. If it's used without any eggs following Yoshi, it does nothing. If eggs are following Yoshi, they now travel MUCH faster, and have no gravity. They will ricochet off of ground/walls/ceilings. Platforms that can be jumped through count as ceilings and floors for the eggs. Damage is unchanged, but knockback has much more growth. Pretty much no knockback at 0-40%, but can kill at around 180%, or even less if they're far offstage.

Obviously Smash 64/Melee veterans would benefit a lot more from a redesign, but feel free to redesign whoever you want.

(Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this thread by the way)

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I can't think of any full on movset changes I'd want for a character but there's several smaller things I'd like to change to make them more accurate to their game counterparts.

Mario & Luigi should be able to shoot two fireballs at a time that move fast but do not cause flinching Mario's cape should just be changed to his spin from Galaxy.

Bowser should Shoot a big slow moving fireball if you tap B instead of holding B. He should also stun people who are standing to close to his bowser bomb, and it should be a stomp instead of a butt slam.

I feel like Donkey Kong should have a barrel rolling attack instead of the burying attack.

Daisy should have something other than Toad, for her neutral B and throws, like a random SML enemy, since they're apparantly her mind controlled subjects.

Yoshi should be able to eat items and projectiles like Wario, it's nuts that Wario can eat things but Yoshi cant.

Ganondorf's wizard kick should be changed to a punch that causes shockwaves and causes people to trip if they're too close.

Dear lord please give Sonic new side B, he does not need two spin dash attacks. Maybe something like Fox's side B, but it can be angled, as a call back to the light speed dash, or the flame somersault from SA2

I could probably go on but I've got things to do.

D

Deleted member

Ok, now this time I know there's already a thread about this, because I made one a few days ago, here. You should check it out though, because there is definitely some overlap in our ideas for Samus.

In fact I was just going to post something there....

Top Bottom