• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tweak Idea

CranberryGod

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was talking with my friend about edge-guarding squirtle, and he spent a lot of time complaining about how hard it is to edgeguard squirtle's up b. He thinks the hitbox covers too much of the stage as it comes up to ledge, and I sorta agree with him. We came to the agreement that to compensate squirtle for reducing the hitbox on up b, squirtle would get his normal aqua jet back as a recovery option, and keep the automatic activation on frame 6 of withdraw if in contact with a person. I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts on this idea. How much would you reduce the hit box by? How stupid you think my friend is for complaining about squirtle when he plays fox and just shine spikes me before I can up b anyways? Things of that nature.

Life

Smash Hero
There's a bugfix patch coming Real Soon Now (tm) so I sort of wanna see if Squirtle gets changed at all there before I speculate or theorize too much. Think I'll do it anyway though:

While the Waterfall hitbox is good, it's like the only redeeming feature of it as a recovery move. I mean, Roy's upB has a pretty serious hitbox to it as well, but his recovery is pretty infamous. Squirtle has the same problem, though obviously his secondary recovery tools and his aerial movement properties are better in that context than Roy.

A return to manual Aqua Jet would be welcome, since (aside from the recovery option) it makes Withdraw much safer if it goes high enough to land on a platform, so you don't have to do the laggy cancel on it if your opponent jumps over it or something.

However, considering how finicky Waterfall already is as a *combo finisher*, I'm not convinced making the hitbox smaller is a good idea.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
get better at edge guarding
Yeah, totally agree with dad here.

Don't stand at the ledge and just get hit by it. AT LEAST SHIELD. And for the love of god take ledge to edgeguard squirtle.

Squirtle, because he can poke with his up-b, loves to sweetspot. If you see him dropping down to sweetspot just steal the ledge! He's dead! it's that easy. People who complain about squirtle's recovery are scrublords of the highest degree.

If squirtle does NOT drop low to sweetspot, he is obviously going to try and preemptively hit you onstage with upB, JUST SHIELD HOLY CRAP. Then punish during his endlag.

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
Im pretty sure you can just hit him from behind too because he doesnt have a hitbox there or something

Top Bottom