• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Interception Guide

muscrester

Smash Rookie
Hey All.

I would like to build a guide to suggest ways to punish or intercept each character's recovery.
I presume it would be best to have it all in one place here, rather than a different thread in each character's subforum?

As a Jigglypuff main, I want these guides as a way to help with edge-guarding and gimping as that seems to have become much harder since brawl.
So, as a Puff user, this means I can get to pretty much any point in a character's recovery, I just need a detailed analysis of each one, to know where the vulnerable points are for a cheeky leg poke.
Obviously, having a detailed look at how each character recovers and when and where hitboxes aren't active will also be invaluable to any character that is able to intercept recoveries. So the first step would just be to outline the different ways a character tends to recover and the respective weak spots. Then perhaps we can talk about whether any character could intervene, or only some with specific moves.

But let's get started. No character order to follow, just anyone chime in with ideas, and we can build from there. I think this resource could be really appreciated and useful. So thanks in advance to any contributors.

muscrester

Smash Rookie
How about starting with newcomer Terry?

His recovery usually involves using Burning Knuckle then Rising Tackle. Burning Knuckle seems to win out over most things. Rising Tackle, supposedly, only his waist down is intangible. Obviously this is the most useful part. I haven't actually been able to get beneath him to see if it can be interrupted from below. Even so, he rises up fast with the move, so that seems like a difficult option anyway. That seems to leave us with coming in from the side. But without a disjointed hitbox, the high priority that comes with spinning moves also seems to win out. So, what the play? Pick him off in the gap between the two moves? What are people finding is working?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I have some experience with Hero and Robin, so I'll share my wisdom.

:ultrobin:: Their recovery is slow, but it covers great distance and can be angled to fit their needs. Elwind can run out, but it recharges fairly quickly. With Jigglypuff, I'd say it's in her favor as she can gimp them very easily with her air speed and multiple jumps. Just make sure not to be anywhere near being underneath them or you might end up being spiked.

:ulthero:: Depending on how much MP Hero used, it could be very tedious to gimp him or ridiculously easy. Kaswoosh only takes 18 MP and allows Hero to recover a great amount of distance as well, and can be troublesome if you're near the hitbox. Zoom is pretty much an insta-recovery as it allows him to get back to the stage safely and at a little MP cost too. It comes up randomly, so it's not very reliable, but it's 3 times as likely to appear when Hero is near the blast zone. My advice would be to keep an eye on Hero's MP cost and try to get him to waste as much as possible before gimping him. He gets MP back slowly over time, but he can also get it by dealing damage, so you might want to avoid getting hit or grabbed/pummeled.

muscrester

Smash Rookie
Thank you!
Yes, as both Robin and Hero don't have hit boxes around themselves, I find it quite easy as I can just float between them and the ledge and stick out a Nair at the right time. I've had to learn not to get to close to Hero though, it's tempting to push him off stage with a WoP, but the Kaswoosh comes out quick and I've been caught in the tornadoes before!

How about :ult_terry: though? I was doing well against them previously, I've lost my edge though, and it's partly because I'm now scared to follow off stage, because Rising Tackle is always eating me up!

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
If you don't have a projectile, it can be hard to gimp them while they're using Burning Knuckle to gain some horizontal recovery. You most likely have to either wait the attack/hitbox out or gimp them before they can even use it. Rising Tackle doesn't snap to ledge, which makes him susceptible to edgeguarding. If you knock Terry off far enough, there should be a moment of time between when they use Burning Knuckle and Rising Tackle, so if you gimp them between those two moves, you should be golden.

muscrester

Smash Rookie
Rising Tackle doesn't snap to ledge, which makes him susceptible to edgeguarding. .
I've seen this written a few times. Can you explain how not snapping makes a difference? I still find that Up Special's like Terry's :ult_terry: win out over aerials trying to intercept from above and sides (unless sword/disjointed hitbox), so makes no difference to edeguarding. If my understanding of edgeguarding is right... ?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I've seen this written a few times. Can you explain how not snapping makes a difference? I still find that Up Special's like Terry's :ult_terry: win out over aerials trying to intercept from above and sides (unless sword/disjointed hitbox), so makes no difference to edeguarding. If my understanding of edgeguarding is right... ?
Not snapping means he can be hit more easily and limits how he can recover. For example, Cloud has the same issue where his Climbhazard doesn't snap to the ledge, often making him rise too far up over the lip of the stage, making it easy to poke him and essentially kill him. Terry has this same issue and forces him to recover either very high (By using Crack Shoot or Burn Knuckle) to get to center stage (And neither of these moves will snap him to ledge so if he uses them at ledge level he'll just keep falling unless they jump or use Rising Tackle). If he has to use Rising Tackle, he has to do it pretty low below stage so not to get poked but still be high enough to snap to ledge when the move finishes.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
This sounds like an interesting thread. Gimping recoveries is a lot of fun. :ultjigglypuff: is certainly good at doing this in SSBU.

I suppose I'll start with my main, though I may chime on on some other characters as well, as I always am looking for ways to attack people's recoveries as well.

:ultridley: :His Wing Blitz (up b) goes only in four directions, though people often don't realize this. This is because each direction is angled a bit, and they don't go cardinal directions. Forwards goes horizontal. Backwards actually goes up at about a 20 degree angle. Up goes straight up. Down comes down at an angle. He cannot go any direction with Wing Blitz other than these four (and you cannot b-reverse it either). If you get him down into the bottom left or bottom right corner of the screen without jumps, he's dead due to this limitation.

He has two air jumps (+1 over most characters), space pirate rush (side b), and wing blitz to recover. His air dodge is relatively forgiving, and you can jump soon after, so Ridley will rarely SD from air dodging an attempted edge-guard. He'll just come up from really low as his wing blitz goes far enough for him to come back from off-screen.

While using Wing Blitz, he has a big hitbox in front of him, and the the wings are invulnerable. If you get hit by this hitbox, it deals a lot of damage and knockback. Many people die trying to edgeguard me when I play Ridley. He can, however, be killed while using Wing Blitz. If you have an aerial or attack that can hit him from the side, you can knock him into or under the stage, forcing a tech situation or worse. Horizontal Wing Blitz recoveries can be punished if timed well from in front of him, or if hit from above. Counters can kill Ridley while he is recovering if timed well.

Never, ever stand on the edge of the stage while Ridley is recovering, unless you are very confident in punishing him if he tries to space pirate rush (side b) you. If he grabs you, you'll be carried down and dunked under the stage. It's a very common mistake for people with limited matchup knowledge.

Ridley can shark very well. His up air hitbox can poke through the stage, so standing nearby in attempted edge trapping scenarios can be punished from below.

Ridley dies easily to Jigglypuff's wall of pain / fair train because of his large hitbox.

Ridley is susceptible to being hit while he's doing his Wing Blitz's startup before he starts moving. I have had Jigglypuffs hit me out of my Wing Blitz before I get moving before, which can easily be lethal. When I fight Jigglypuff, I'm usually very defensive about this and recover super low, since I know Jigglypuff is limited both by their falling speed and by their ability to vertically recover.

That was a bit long, but I hope it helps.

Last edited:

muscrester

Smash Rookie
I'm rekindling this thread, as I'm back to playing. And have made it to ELite Smash, finally! So I want even more to know how to get past recoveries. Let's restart, with another RIDICULOUS recovery: Piranha Plant :ultpiranha: . Insanely long distance, good motility, and fricking hitboxes throughout! How does one edgeguard this uy, or interrupt his recovery. Especially as a character like jigglypuff with no projectiles or disjointed hitboxes!

muscrester

Smash Rookie
And sorry for the double post, but a much more open-ended recovery option. Is there anyway to interrupt a tether recovery, once their tether has snapped to the ledge, put they haven't pulled themselves up yet, is there actually anyway to interrupt this process at any point? I've not had any luck yet!

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
And sorry for the double post, but a much more open-ended recovery option. Is there anyway to interrupt a tether recovery, once their tether has snapped to the ledge, put they haven't pulled themselves up yet, is there actually anyway to interrupt this process at any point? I've not had any luck yet!
There is. Tethers don't have any i-frames being pulled up and can get knocked easily if you play a character with a large/long-lasting aerial hitbox.

It takes a lot of timing, but for Puff, probably NAir, BackAir, or DAir are your best bets for beating a tether

muscrester

Smash Rookie
There is. Tethers don't have any i-frames being pulled up and can get knocked easily if you play a character with a large/long-lasting aerial hitbox.

It takes a lot of timing, but for Puff, probably NAir, BackAir, or DAir are your best bets for beating a tether
Thanks, perhaps I just need to work on timing better, but the "Pulling up" can seem pretty instantaneous, is there a point along the "pull up" path that is best to aim for? right at the ledge, or more in the middle?
And still. anyone got any thoughts about how to interrupt :ultpiranha: 's Piranhacopter ?

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Thanks, perhaps I just need to work on timing better, but the "Pulling up" can seem pretty instantaneous, is there a point along the "pull up" path that is best to aim for? right at the ledge, or more in the middle?
And still. anyone got any thoughts about how to interrupt :ultpiranha: 's Piranhacopter ?
I'm late but likely either middle or near the ledge, as you can likely just NAir and let the lingering hitbox do its job.

As for :ultpiranha:'s Piranhacopter, aim for either the top or below. Challenging either side without a disjoint is a good way to get gimped off of the ledge. The leaves have large hitboxes but the head and pot are still vulnerable.

muscrester

Smash Rookie
Great thank you! I have managed a bit better around piranha plant.
My new focus to understand is :ultbayonetta1: . Not playing her, i just do not follow how much she can move without entering helpless. With what i assume are side B's and up B's, although she has two? or two thigns that can move her up? butterfly, and like a spiral thing. Just yeah. can someone simplify what her options are, and where the holes may lie?
Thanks!

Top Bottom