• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recolours! What do you want? Post them here!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Now that the game has been unveiled and we have Official Renders, I want to see some fan recolours. I want see them for everyone!

Please indulge me. I'm sure many will appreciate it too.

Want go that step further and add some extra elements like a hat, EVEN BETTER (Shout out to Pac-Man fans, I saw some nice fan alts that added stuff like that)

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
I'm not artsy enough to make palette swap sketches to post, but really would like to see a Mr. L (from Super Paper Mario) for Luigi and a Shadow Peach (from Paper Mario: TYD) for Peach. Also, if they don't plan to echo Donkey Kong with Funky, they could do a costume alt; (of course, then, a Funky hat for Kirby would also be nice).

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Wolf in glorious yellow.

The jacket, not the fur. No jaundice here.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I feel disappointed in Smashboards, I remember seeing a ton of fan made colours using the Smash Wii U renders back in the day. Yet I don't think I've seen any using the new renders

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:ulttoonlink: Pink hair
:ultzss: Black two piece
:ultmario: Fire Mario and flying Mario
:ultwario: Black biker from brawl
:ultmewtwo: Green why was it cut from four?
:ultsonic: Dark sonic don’t think anything other then his colour, eyes, and some new stripes are different

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I really miss Dededes alts from Brawl:

These color schemes were just really nice.
They're similar to Smash 4s alts, but these are just a bit more interesting, for example the purple lin 4 is uniformly purple, while Brawl has a green sash and a darker trim on the coat. The green alt also doesn't have those ugly pixel Dees on the sash, while Dedede himself is brown.

I really don't like the alts that have sprites on them. I just want a variety of nice colors to pick from without an obnoxious "HAHA RECOGNIZE THIS???" on them.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ultra Instinct:ultpit: and Naked:ultmario:/:ultlink:

D

Deleted member

I feel disappointed in Smashboards, I remember seeing a ton of fan made colours using the Smash Wii U renders back in the day. Yet I don't think I've seen any using the new renders
These Shulk ones someone else made and posted to r/smashbros the other day are pretty good:

Link in case this doesn't show: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8wehih/reloaded_made_more_smash_ultimate_alt_costumes/

Idk if it's my old computer or the website that's been messing with images lately but the majority of them haven't been displaying for me.
They're so much better than the Xenoblade 1 party member references since the color schemes are much more natural as they're designed for Shulk. The Monado's colors even change, which looks so amazing I never knew I needed it in my life before.

I just hope Greninja gets some costume upgrades. It feels like a lot of his alternate colors are more... subdued? Like the colors aren't very bright and just look off in general. Maybe it's just me though lol.

Obviously I'm hoping the black one becomes a true shiny recolor but Sakurai has something against those so I'm not gonna hold my breath. Something that'd be really cool is if the green color got a little top hat like the frogs in Odyssey, but again it's just not going to happen. More realistic wishes I have is for the light purple one to go in favor of a yellow and/or orange one, and possibly an alternate that turns his tongue into a bubble scarf like Frogadier. The biggest fix I need though is for Utilt's motion line color to change with the tongue, since in Smash 4 the line always stays the same pink default Greninja's tongue is even if you're using an alternate color.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel that Mewtwo needs better palette options. With the exception of the 8th palette, palettes 2-7 don't really change Mewtwo's body color all that much.

The following are some Mewtwo recolors that I made for Smash Wii U, but have been implemented onto Mewtwo's Smash Ultimate artwork. However, the blue Mewtwo palette now has purple eye irises, instead of green.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This Shulk and especially Mewtwo colours are awesome! I'd love to see more like that

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Really want a accurate Ganon skin referencing this
Okay so it keeps showing up as a tv with a x in it, no matter the image, but basically first phase ganon in hyrule castle

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Most important: bring back white/"black" overalls Wario!!!
Then there's Yoshi. I need white and brown Yoshis!
Besides that I kinda want the (darker) blue/red skin back for Mario that he had in previous games.

There are also way too many characters that don't change their color enough.. that's kinda annoying for teams.

And then there are Fox and especially Falco.. most of their palette swaps look kinda weird imo. I miss the ones they had in previous games a bit.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Off the top of my head it is Pac-Man - I am and still am disappointed that his swatches doesn't change too much and he remains yellow for all his swatches.
I would actually rather have different coloured Pac-Mans rather than what we got where it is the same yellow for each swatch

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Generally much more a fan of pleasant-looking palettes than ones that try to force in references for the sake of it. The Shulk edits posted earlier look so much nicer than the official ones. I'd like to see Lucina and Robin get a similar treatment. In my opinion, they have some of the ugliest alts in Smash 4.

Also, Sonic and Pac-Man need *actual* color swaps, but I've accepted it just isn't going to happen. I think Pac-Man should at least have different colors for his shoes and gloves, though, instead of the random arm bands. Such a baffling design decision.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm more a fan of alternate costumes than recolors, but I'd love to see Samus get a Phazon Suit recolor like this one here:

Instead we got some weird yellow one that no one knows where it comes from. But it replaced the Dark Samus alt color, so a lot of people are hoping that means a Dark Samus echo fighter. Fingers crossed.

I'd also like to see R.O.B. get an alt color based off of his appearance in Mario Kart DS:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultsonic:
I don't even like Sonic, but you know what would be great? If the person(s) behind the color choice would be a little more imaginative.

Blue: Sonic
Yellow: Tails
Orange: Knuckles
Pink: Amy
Gray: Metal Sonic
Black: Shadow
Silver: Silver
Gold: Super Sonic

:ultsamus:
Why does every character have their original color, but Samus doesn't? Where's the power suit?

Yellow: Power Suit
Orange: Varia Suit
Salmon: Gravity Suit
Silver: Phazon Suit
Brown: Dark Suit
White: Light Suit
Gray: PED Suit
Blue: Fusion Suit

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’ll post some of mine when I get the chance. Though most of mine are of potential newcomers We’ve seen a large amount of the color swaps already but I really want PED Samus for some odd reason. And Blue Fox would be cool as a nod to his non-Canon (or is I canon..never sure) son he had with Krystal.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Man Daisy fans are passionate. Some of these loom great though

I wonder what official colours we'll see in the direct.

RodAcoPer

Smash Journeyman
For :ultbyleth: replace his last 2 costumes for a Seteth and Rhea Color
For :ultwario: give him colors that are based of his home games instead of being reused mario colors [Like this]
For :ultjoker: at least they could give him a Panther Color Since it's the only phantom Thieve that doesn't wear Black [Like This]

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just want black Yoshi back man. I think he got cut because he got thrown in prison for tax fraud.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Generally much more a fan of pleasant-looking palettes than ones that try to force in references for the sake of it. The Shulk edits posted earlier look so much nicer than the official ones. I'd like to see Lucina and Robin get a similar treatment. In my opinion, they have some of the ugliest alts in Smash 4.
Eh, agree to disagree. I think it’s nice that other characters are referenced through certain alts. But on the topic!

:ultdarksamus:-Replace the yellow alt with an SA-X color scheme, and repurpose the white alt to be colored more like the Phazon Suit
:ultzelda:-Replace her white-hair alt with a Hilda color scheme
:ultmarth:-A couple:
>Make his black alt’s hair blonde to better resemble Camus
>Make his white alt’s hair brown to better resemble Leif
:ultchrom:-Replace his cyan alt with a Fredrick color scheme
:ultpit:-Replace his yellow alt with a haircut resembling his classic appearance
:ultsonic:-Oh, boy…
>Replace his ”purple” alt with a color scheme closer to NiGHTS
>Replace his Dark Sonic alt with a more Shadow-like color scheme (with red striped around white shoes and his black quills)
>Replace his “yellow” alt with a color scheme closer to Super Sonic
>Replace his “green” alt with a color scheme closer to Knuckles the Echidna
:ultlittlemac:-Replace his black color scheme with one closer to the protagonist of Super Punch-Out!!
:ultpalutena:-Replace her blue alt with a color scheme closer to her NES artwork
:ultpacman:-Any color that’s not just his wristbands, please
:ultshulk:-Just change the Monado’s color to suit each party member’s color
:ultcorrin:-Replace his blue alt with a color scheme closer to Azura
:ultbayonetta:-Replace her yellow alt with a color scheme closer to the Lumen Sages
:ultrichter:-Again, with Sonic:
>Give his red alt white hair to better resemble Juste
>Make his purple alt’s hair green to better resemble Shaft
>Make his green alt’s hair blonde to better resemble Maria Renard
>Make his yellow alt brown to better resemble Julius
>Make his blue alt’s belts and headband yellow to better resemble his Symphony of the Night design
>Make his black alt’s hair dark blonde to better resemble Alucard
>Make his white alt’s hair blonde to better resemble Leon
:ultjoker:-Replace his white alt with a color scheme resembling Sojiro Sakura
:ult_terry:-Replace his brown alt with one closer to his Mark of the Wolves design
:ultbyleth:-Replace their 7th alt with one closer to Jeralt, and make their 8th alt’s clothes white to better resemble Rhea

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Some ideas I have for alts:
:ultjigglypuff:: I miss the crown one from Melee
:ultsonic:: Some alts of him changing his fur color like a golden yellow for Tails (this is what SSF2 does)
:ultpacman:: have him change colors with colors similar to the ghosts.
:ultrobinf:: the return of the Anna alt (red robin) would be nice
:ultrobin:/:ultbyleth:: A Kris alt (New Mystery of the Emblem) would be nice to see

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Let's talk Bowser! Seriously, why isn't this one of his recolors? It's a no-brainer! I understand changing him to bones like this would take a good chunk of modeling time, but he doesn't even have a color scheme that references this:

CeAE8MTUAAA0zAA.jpeg

And there's also Dark Bowser, the blue alt Bowser has is close but no cigar:

Lack of Wedding Bowser when we got Wedding Mario and Peach at least has a close-enough white alt is weird:

Does anyone else miss Bowser's colors from previous Smash games? I do! Here's how they would look:
530-90_5cec57a84b9ab.jpg

530-90_5cec595ba3a4f.jpg

And lastly, fun ones I found:

Nintendo really needs to do DLC costumes for characters who aren't the Miis. They would get 75c from me for each of these

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Wellp, Lenidem's got me wanting to go over Yoshi. So I will. There's the obvious black and white Yoshis, but also the more obscure orange Yoshi:
And brown Yoshi:
Two very nice color schemes that Nintendo tends to show little love towards for some reason. I guess it's because orange and brown usually aren't up there on most people's list of colors they like, but still.

This fan made Yarn Yoshi is amazing, and you could even give Yarn Yoshi some recolors:

There are the mini-Yoshis from TTYD:

And last but not least, Boshi! I think this covers all potential Yoshi alts. Let me know if I missed any.

Top Bottom