• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recipe for a winning character

Finns7

Smash Ace
I know that development has ended but I would like to discuss shield pressure, speed and other attributes in how they affect a chars ability to dominate

When I watch pm I feel like the smaller fast characters (everyone seems fast in pm lol) that can pressure shields have more of a advantage (fox wolf ect)

I love the super armor and how it changes the game.. Sometimes I wonder what style can trump the other...D3s grabs n off stage game are tough as well as mewtwos mobility..

I feel like if we could go back in time I'd like heavies to have better shield pressure similar to some smash 4 moves (lol hear me out).. Ganons down special or quake move could a been better on shield..its like some chars can't compete with the shine pressure and airial pressure..there just to slow

As a Link main I came up with a idea...for pm or future games...Links boomerang should go through shields like falcon/fox phantasm but come back as it does normally...they cancelled his catch animation to help but that bothered me because it seemed tacky (opinion) charging the rang would make it go through the shield pressuring it..and coming back again..this would allow the player to run up and pressure and create traps...when I look at a winning char they have these options where everything is covered.

I

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
As Project Ganondorf demonstrates, many of the characters in the Smash games were not very well thought out, and as Brawl Minus shows, there's a large amount of potential for a balanced game of overpowered characters with creative and appealing abilities and playstyles. As Project Melee and Melee reach their twilight, I'm sure one day Brawl, or perhaps Smash 4 if the code can be cracked by then, will find yet more life in the future as the newest mod game rises unto the scene, ready to fulfill a bold new vision of what Smash could be, rather than what it has been.

To answer the thread's topic, I think Wolf is best to analyze considering the widespread opinion that he is the best character in this game. Wolf is not a slow character in comparison to the rest of the cast. But it's not his speed that makes him so dominant. It's his laser in neutral, and his ability to string together long combos and convert them into kills. People still struggle against Wolf's laser pressure, not knowing what to do, and many characters lack the native kit to deal with them properly. Wolf also has the best vertical survivability of all characters in PM and a recovery that it is not much worse than Fox's in terms of length. So on top of being deadly, he's also difficult to kill, especially if you do not know how to properly edgeguard him.

The perfect character is one that is tough to kill, tough to combo, can recover from long distances and mix up their recovery, can dominate neutral, especially if in more ways than one, and has a punish game that can reliably zero to death. You should also consider how useful defensive moves like Peach's down smash would be to the perfect character. A projectile is pretty much a must. And if they had a move like Rest, that character would be downright broken.

Top Bottom