• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recent Tier List and Kirby's Future

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
Been viewing since early 2014 and I'm just wondering if Kirby being bottom 2 is right. Also does Kirby even have a future? I have had fun playing him alone, but when I approach someone who is playing defensive with projectiles or armor. It feels like Kirby doesn't really have much to offer. He just feels like tilt N' poke city and dthrow until you can get enough % to kill or set up an edge guard. What are your guys thoughts?

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
No. The tier list isn't something to view as accurate as the project m 3.6 scene is still developing. That just got proven yesterday with ThunderzReign's DK against Junebug's Diddy that DK isn't as low as they say. The tier list is skewed, there is still so much to be found out and developed. Let's see how the meta develops.

Also in my area, we always have a kirby in the top 8, so kirby definitely does have a future. We should just wait and see. The reason I hate tier lists, is because it causes a segregation amongst people, and those people only want to select the top characters, leaving the ones ranked bottom undertested and underdeveloped making them remain in the bottom tier for ever.
Hell, I don't even believe kirby is bottom tier in melee, what project m. We just have to wait and see what happens.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
I think kirby is a solid mid tier right now. But I think there is still much to be developed in his meta game. He has a noticable lack of options in his approach game and doesnt play well against projectiles but he has hard punishes and edge guards on a lot of the cast. So who knows? I believe there is a lot more kirby can do than people expect, we just have to experiment and figure more out.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
He's considered trash because of under-representation and lack of MU knowledge. It's up to us to fix this.

TacoKirby

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I can play a good kirby without having to down throw all the time. I have found, however, that when the other player is on low percents, I can easily hit him with Nair or Fair, L-cancel it then quickly grab. This is, on CPUs, of course.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Out of down-throw? Usually I can hit f-throw to first hit fair and regrab if it's against fast-fallers who aren't properly DIing, but I've never seen anything like that out of d-throw.

Shenanigan

Smash Apprentice
I have found, however, that when the other player is on low percents, I can easily hit him with Nair or Fair, L-cancel it then quickly grab. This is, on CPUs, of course.
Assuming you're talking about Fair -> Grab, and not Down Throw -> Fair -> Grab. The latter doesn't work, but the former actually works with all of Kirby's aerials if your opponent is at low percent and doesn't crouch cancel.

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
Tilt n' poke city? wtf thats so inaccurate DansGame

eh the way kirby manages probably depends on your playstyle anyways

KupoGrounds

Smash Rookie
I think eventually Kirby will fall short in the meta, but that'll be a decade or two before that happens. Right now, Kirby has potential and he definitely isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He definitely struggles against projectiles and defensive players so a secondary may be necessary as the meta develops. I haven't seen any two Kirby mains play him the same way so Kirby has a long way to go before you cut him short.

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
Assuming you're talking about Fair -> Grab, and not Down Throw -> Fair -> Grab. The latter doesn't work, but the former actually works with all of Kirby's aerials if your opponent is at low percent and doesn't crouch cancel.
Well I'm in doubt of all aerials (u-air) but if your opponent is so bad at this game that he shouldn't have even discovered what PM is then you're GTG! ;)

Last edited:

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Actually, up-air does lead into grab! I was playing someone the other day and they DI'd the f-throw in and I got the backwards hit of up-air leading into a regrab.

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
Actually, up-air does lead into grab! I was playing someone the other day and they DI'd the f-throw in and I got the backwards hit of up-air leading into a regrab.
Coolio 8) but I was talking about the sweetspot :p Maybe with the sweetspot on fflers and lightweights at low-no percent you could possibly get a regrab.

Top Bottom