• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recent match critiques?

gravy

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I finally got some recent vids of me playing. You can look at any ones you want, I'm just looking for all the advice I can get.

The lake, BH4 pools: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52rKMJkHVf8

Leffen in winners (This is obviously the one I'm most interested in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmCJiOUxuY

Duck top 32: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOJplf3Pk94

The moon top 32: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btz1nukk9ws

Dart WDW (We both played badly imo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNW6CvobggE

Kels fox WF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pjtQKZ2oEA

Kels sheik gf (I get spanked halp): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8HJKoiKleM

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Here's some things I noticed that may help. It's a mix of observation and interpretation VS Leffen, Broken up stages then by your stocks:

Battlefield:
Stock 1: you just did aerials near him and left yourself open to be punished. I think you were expecting him to run into your hitboxes but he didn't care. He was in the annoying "under a platform" position. good ledgeguard coverage and punish to even it up.
Stock 2: he got a really big combo because you were in landing lag from a super obvious bair. then your got on stage in a relatively simple way that got punished (again, landing lag).
Stock 3: you did a laggy aerial again, but it reset to neutral. you dropped a combo and he controlled center stage.
In between stocks he shielded on platforms in an annoying way. grab or nair or upb (lols) or late knee something.
Stock 4: I didn't pay super close attention. You should stay on the group when he's on the ground more. Translation: grab him and pick up on his trigger range from your dash dances.

FoD:
Stock 1: he used the stage better than you did. That usmash you went for was a big liability that didn't seem to be set up at all (I didn't see leffen have this exploitable habit)
Stock 2: lol. no writeup needed.
Stock 3: stomp and raptor boost seemed like big gambles for no reason. they invest a lot of time and leave you vulnerable.
Stock 4: you were in the air a lot and got hit because of it. I think you were doing better in big, open spaces. Dream Land may have been a better counterpick for that reason and especially considering how you may have survived a combo or two, but he would not have.

Overall, I'd recommend to play a little bit more conservatively when it's a guessing game so you can keep your momentum. Stay on the ground more in the neutral position. I know you're good at punishing your opponent jumping, so keep doing your anti-air-in-the-air thing. Keep in mind Fox can be really good at hitting your nair - when that's happening, so something else to scare them to create that opening.

Hope that helps!

PS: Leffen is cuter than you.

Astrumqt

Smash Rookie
I would say that sometimes you don't respect certain situations enough though you could argue that that's just Falcon. I watched the first three. Against Samus, just accept that dthrow knee should never work unless they're DI trapped. Against Leffen, I think you just needed some mixups. A few tomahawks or run up shields might have netted you a few grabs.

Your aerial spacing and l-cancels are godlike.

Last edited:

Dr4gonBlitz

Smash Cadet
I know that easing off the gas is impossible for you, so my only advise is improve your spacing and the safety of your pressure. Remember that falcon just standing there exurts a huge amount of pressure. After you scare your opponent with your newage sex falcon you don't need to scare them with aireals all the time as they are easier to punish. Every chip of damage they get when you are in the lead takes away from your momentum which is crucial for you. Just more pressure mixups and once you get that 100% movement down with falcon you will wrek leffn and moon and kels scrub shiek.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Yo Gravy, I am a sheik main and I have bopped many C Falcs in my day but I have also gotten destoryed by others. There are things you can do to beat sheiks its just you gotta do them fast or things will turn for the worst.

FIrst, a large problem you had against Kels was you would test him off the ledge. Depending on % sheik can DI away causing falcon to go outside his comfort zone allow an instant death for Falcon or a punish. This happened a few times so you should always be careful and think about true combos and hit stun before you go far out for a knee kill.

Second, when Kels Dtilts you would go in with a Nair the first few games until you realized the Dair was a safer approach. If Sheik Dtilts DO A DAIR!!!! When you did it, you get Kels into an instant combo killing Kels right away (which was pretty sick).

Third, your choices are sometimes a bit whack (not that I would do any better) but for instance, at 8:20, you had kels in hit stun from the first Uair and you probably could have gotten a knee (although it might have been reverse knee?) in any case, it would not have mattered if you had gotten the proper angle on the Uair becuase Kels still had his jump and his up B to recover.
(this is the least important so I wouldnt worry as much).

Fourth, I notice you dont go in for many grabs. there are times when Kels is waiting for you to approach so he can punish so you should consider dash dancing around his counters and then grab because C falc has a chain grab on sheik for some percents and this will throw Kels off making him spot dodge more and maybe be more predictable?

Hope this helps.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I dont think many falcons here can even offer good advice to you Gravy haha. Love watching you play man, favorite

Last edited:

Windrose

Smash Lord
It looks like in the leffen match you dropped several key punishes which might be due to nerves. Against top players, the amount of openings you get is so much less so dropping those are unfortunate. I think you could've won the 1st game if you didn't.

There was a few times you go for aerials that got punished because Leffen had a lot of time to react. Such as shield drop bair from top platform when he has lots of time to react, stomp out of powershield.

I know you like FoD a lot, but I think it would've been better to just go back to Battlefield. Leffen is not the kind of player that would get intimidated by a falcon that's comfortable on FoD. on paper, BF is just way better imo.

I dunno if you talk to Colbol a lot or not but I'm sure he can give you a lot of good critique on that match.

Top Bottom