• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recent Downtime: DDoS Attack

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
From AlphaZealot:

"Smashers,
An update on The Great Smash DDoS of 2013
Smashboards has been down since ~6PM PT Sunday evening. Aside from a brief 5 hour reprieve on August 26th (~3AM-8AM PT) we have been unable to prevent what is a serious DDoS to Smashboards. This appears to be a targeted effort against the Smash community - with Allisbrawl and Project M both being targeted (and purportedly others).
All of the owners of these sites (myself, Strongbad/Warchamp, and Neal/JV) are working together to bring things back online and we are sharing information about potential solutions. What we know so far:
  • First signs of an attack occurred against AllisBrawl on August 15. AllisBrawl has been combatting the DDoS ever since
  • On August 16, Smashboards came under an (intrusive) attack that lead us to reset and load an earlier instance of our database (losing ~10 hours of data)
  • On August 25 Smashboards went down due to a DDoS attack
  • In the morning of August 27 (I believe) Project M (projectmgame.com) went down due to a DDoS attack
  • All currently attempted solutions to combat these attacks have failed, whomever the attacker is has been quite dedicated in their attempts to bring down the entire community of sites, adapting their methods and changing
  • All three sites (smashboards.com, allisbrawl.com, projectmgame.com) are right now, at this very moment, under a sustained DDoS attack
I'd like to thank the community for staying patient with us as we attempt to move through these issues. The support the community shows is always top notch and if anything, this DDoS is a result of the communities outstanding growth and success over the years."

We've been working hard to get the site back up, and it's not up for everyone now yet; but as some of you may notice we've been able to get it up for a good chunk of the community and will hopefully be back in full capacity soon. Thank you for your patience.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I hope all of these attacks get resolved soon, but however long it takes the smash community will never falter to the likes of some fool or whoever is involved in these baseless intrusions!

KaosBombix

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm french so my english isn't very good but I'll try to say something ! Good luck for smashboard, all is brawl and project M to solved this problem ! I hate when one or more people attack a site, If they don't like brawl, don't play brawl ... I hope you will solved this problem, I am ready to wait but I can't help you because I don't know these attacks ...

Sorry for my english

Arteen

Smash Lord
Huzaah! I'm glad you guys are getting the site back in working order.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I saw a notification on the Smashboards Facebook page about why the site was down temporarily - thanks for keeping us informed =)

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
You handled the DDoS the correct way; informing the site members and working hard to get the site back up, great work!

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Eat **** Hackers. It's probably some five year old spamming the "ping" command
Maybe it's the same person from the Minecraft DDOS

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
Eat **** Hackers. It's probably some five year old spamming the "ping" command
Maybe it's the same person from the Minecraft DDOS
You're falling for the bait, pal. This reaction is all they wanted.

noobifier3000

Banned Camp
lol, I guarantee you I'm no 5 year old spamming the ping command, as that is a primitive way of performing a Ddos attack you fool, I'm a bit more elegant than that. As for the websites, all is brawl WILL remain shut down. Smashboards will also become inaccessible soon. If you wish for these attacks to stop, we demand that Neal, and the admins of smashboards wear shoes on their heads, till then, suffer you twits.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
I doubt you're the hacker but if you are. You can't keep this up forever, eventually you'll lose. It's one man vs. a community you don't stand a chance. You're simply providing us an inconvenience at the moment.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
lol, I guarantee you I'm no 5 year old spamming the ping command, as that is a primitive way of performing a Ddos attack you fool, I'm a bit more elegant than that. As for the websites, all is brawl WILL remain shut down. Smashboards will also become inaccessible soon. If you wish for these attacks to stop, we demand that Neal, and the admins of smashboards wear shoes on their heads, till then, suffer you twits.
what?

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Must've been a Playstation All Stars Battle Royale fan.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Let's Quote the song "SMASH!"
Stand Up!
Knock 'em down!
We won't let 'em push us around

Rise Up!
Make 'em proud!
If you had enough, then shout it out!

We won't!
Take it any more today!
They can't stop us!

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
lol, I guarantee you I'm a 5 year old spamming the ping command, as that is a primitive way of performing a Ddos attack on you!! #SWAG I'm a Gangster! thuggin more than that. As for the webz, all is brawl WILL remain shut down in favor of all is cod. Smashboards will also become in-asshole-able soon. If you wish stop, we will stop. the admins of smashboards wear shoes on their heads. Till then, im going to play cooood.
Fixed

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
and look where their site is at now xD.

there will also be 1 more demand for the smash community's ultimate surrender, thou must present to us. 42 billion american dollars.
Okay just give us your address, credit card info, email, real name, birth certificate, selfie, facebook, and your IP address

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Whoever did this deserves 9,000 Toon Link bombs and 1 Triforce Slash.

So I'm putting my detective cap on and searching for the people who did this.

Noobifier, your a 6 year old. 6 year olds can't hack.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Any luck stabilizing the site?

Top Bottom