• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reasons to play Pichu over Pikachu?

Ranch Dubois

Smash Rookie
I’m excited for the power put behind Pikachu in Smash Ultimate and I wanted to know if there would gain anything from being able to switch between Pikachu and Pichu. However, I don’t know why one would play Pichu over Pikachu. I know:

- Pichu has recoil damage. (Apparently, this can help build rage or to weasel out of the percentage ranges of kill confirms, but I don’t know how realistic this is.)
- Pichu has a tilt attack with a trip effect.
- Pichu’s Up-Special has no hitbox (bad).
- Pichu retained its N-Air from Smash Melee. (I don’t k ow how this would help Pichu. I would think that Pikachu’s new N-Air is a better move in general. If someone could explain how Pichu’s N-Air could be situationally better, that would be great.)
- Pichu can wear du-rags (top tier).

I think Pichu had a stronger Skull Bash in Melee that also traveled further compared to Pikachu, but I don’t know if he retained this in Ultimate. Also, somone told me that they heard that Pichu’s electric attacks are stronger and have more range than Pikachu. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Can anyone think of any other differences or reasons to play Pichu over Pikachu?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pichu's Melee nair was one of its best moves in terms of combo potential, KO potential, and not hurting itself. And the thing about the electric moves being stronger and having more range was mentioned on the blog, but no one has confirmed for sure that that's true. In fact, it seems that the goal with Pichu is the same as Dan in Street Fighter IV: Buff him, but keep the most iconic joke character traits.

Last edited:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
i know very little about pichu wholly, but i would image it's capable of faster movements in general, and the smaller hurtbox could mean that it avoids some attacks pikachu couldn't. maybe pichu would be a pick for when your opponent chooses annoyingly fast characters that pikachu couldn't keep up with as easily?

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing there are none other than the fact that he's adorable. I was hoping that they'd make Pichu a true glass cannon who would be extremely fragile but devastating if he gets in, but I'm skeptical about whether he's going to get any real reward for causing damage to himself.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Pichu's Melee nair was one of its best moves in terms of combo potential, KO potential, and not hurting itself. And the thing about the electric moves being stronger and having more range was mentioned on the blog, but no one has confirmed for sure that that's true. In fact, it seems that the goal with Pichu is the same as Dan in Street Fighter IV: Buff him, but keep the most iconic joke character traits.
Nair to nair to sh uair confirmed?

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Pichu is more for the melee pikachu/pichu mains since he is more similar to them than pikachu is in Ultimate. Mostly because of Nair. Hope that move has melee’s kill power

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
I think Olimar will be a very hard matchup for Pikachu in Ultimate due to a few reasons but that's a different topic.

Pikachu's Nair is not the full body instant Pikmin kill move it used to be, but Pichu's is. That alone will help greatly in that match-up. Although, the self damaging properties of Pichu may more than make up for the damage saved.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
think Olimar will be a very hard matchup for Pikachu in Ultimate due to a few reasons but that's a different topic.
It always was, since brawl, with olimar being apparently top 3 in smash ultimate(??) then it might actually be hard again

Pikachu's Nair is not the full body instant Pikmin kill move it used to be, but Pichu's is. That alone will help greatly in that match-up. Although, the self damaging properties of Pichu may more than make up for the damage saved.
Nair chains and more consistant kill power alone will make pichu a bit worse for olimar.

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
Yes, I remember the Brawl days. Olimar is a god there (so were icies and Metaknight). Apparently Olimar has his brawl upsmash as well. It's not looking good. *shudders*

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yes, I remember the Brawl days. Olimar is a god there (so were icies and Metaknight). Apparently Olimar has his brawl upsmash as well. It's not looking good. *shudders*
speak for yourself I love olimar. Shillkachu can eat dirt Pichu is where its at.

Last edited:

ADYBE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8398-5678-1580
Maybe Pichu is more for the melee pikachu/pichu mains since he is more similar to them than pikachu is in Ultimate. Mostly because of Nair. Hope that move has melee’s kill power
The only changes with Pichu’s nair is it deal less damage.

ADYBE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8398-5678-1580
I strongly STRONGLY doubt it only does 4%, that's most likely just the sour hit
Well, watch the videos of captain falcon/pichu vs richter/simon (because it’s the only gameplay where nair touch) and tell me.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
If you beat your friends with pichu you can rub it in that you beat them with a baby Pokémon

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion pichu is stronger than pikachu, which is the strongest character according to zero (pre-release, that is). He dies faster, sure, thanks to his insanely low weight and self damage, but man, does that mouse hurt. High speed, high damage, big range, crazy combos. But, it is a hard one to be good with

Summer_Fox04

Smash Rookie
Quite frankly, I don’t know why you bothered to ask pre-release. Pichu does more damage than Pikachu, but has less range. Pichu being small makes him harder to hit. Pichu’s up-special does no damage, but goes farther by a lot. In my opinion, Pichu has the best recovery in the game, a little bit above Pikachu. Something I had trouble with as Pikachu in Sm4sh was accidentally hitting an opponent in freefall off-stage while I was trying to recover. Pichu’s side-special goes much farther and faster than Pikachu’s. But it all depends on personal preference. Pichu is more or less a glass cannon because of how light they are. Pikachu has multiple tools, but doesn’t quite have as many combos as Pichu. Pikachu relies on n-air combos, which take a fair amount of time to master. Pichu is hella fast paced and you have to be agressive to use him properly. Pichu just fit my playstyle more which is why I play him. Also, if you use it correctly, Pichu’s self-damaging mechanics can be super helpful. That’s all from me.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
ex pikachu main here... it just feels way better, although it has the self damaging flaw, his movement/strengths over pikachu surely make up for it

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
I’m using pichu way more then pika.The main reason being, he’s just way more fun.

Smudgy

Smash Rookie
As a Pichu main I can say that their are somethings better then Pikachu but I played Pilachu since Project M and until Ultimate I play only Fox or Pikachu. I know I just got off topic but mainly it’s just do like Pikachu or Pichu

Last edited:
Top Bottom