• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reasons I think Sm4sh can become the highlight Smash game @ EVO

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
1) The game is highly likely to be the most balanced Smash game yet. Multiple people will be included in the balancing and Sakurai is open to patches

2) With Mega Man in Sm4sh, Capcom will probably want to promote a game with their character in it

3) It will have a larger character selection and most likely a larger audience/fanbase (especially considering it'll be available on two platforms)

4) After Melee's performance at this year's EVO, Nintendo may take notice and want to promote the newest game in the series

5) The fact that it will be the newest game with tons of hype

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Smash 4 can get into EVO without needing to "replace" Melee. They aren't even really dependent on each other. Just because Melee is in EVO doesn't mean Smash 4 can't be.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Melee is a classic. It can't be replaced.

Not what Smash 4 can do is JOIN Melee at EVO and become just as competitive. I think I would like that the best.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
1) The game is highly likely to be the most balanced Smash game yet. Multiple people will be included in the balancing and Sakurai is open to patches

2) With Mega Man in Sm4sh, Capcom will probably want to promote a game with their character in it

3) It will have a larger character selection and most likely a larger audience/fanbase (especially considering it'll be available on two platforms)

4) After Melee's performance at this year's EVO, Nintendo may take notice and want to promote the newest game in the series

5) The fact that it will be the newest game with tons of hype
1. I REALLY hope so(But with Namco behind this you may be right)

2. Good Point

3.Yup

4.They kinda did in a way, since they revealed Olimar on the site around the the time the stream for pools started.

5. very true.

Melee will NEVER be replaced. Sm4sh can be the best game ever made, and it still wouldn't replace it.
I think you may have mistranslated what he said, he means why it will be the highlight game of the next EVO instead of Melee. it's not gonna replace it, just how ST and 3rd Struike still have (some) EVO events even with AE2012 around.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Smash 4 can get into EVO without needing to "replace" Melee. They aren't even really dependent on each other. Just because Melee is in EVO doesn't mean Smash 4 can't be.
I meant as the game that gets streamed, I should have included that.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
it definitely can if its good enough, the bar isn't really set particularly high (see Marvel vs Capcom 2-->3)

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I think you may have mistranslated what he said, he means why it will be the highlight game of the next EVO instead of Melee. it's not gonna replace it, just how ST and 3rd Struike still have (some) EVO events even with AE2012 around.
Exactly. Except for the "next year" part. I'm not exactly sure the game will be released in time.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I realize I jumped the gun, but in my defense, the title IS "I think Sm4sh can replace Melee"

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I meant as the game that gets streamed, I should have included that.
Well it depends. In my opinion, if the Smash community decided to pour money into Brawl instead of Melee to bring it to EVO, I think it could've generated the same amount of hype. But that's just hypotheticals.
It all comes down to whether Smash 4 is fun or not.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Well it depends. In my opinion, if the Smash community decided to pour money into Brawl instead of Melee to bring it to EVO, I think it could've generated the same amount of hype. But that's just hypotheticals.
It all comes down to whether Smash 4 is fun or not.
This whole thing is hypothetical. I don't know what the game is going to be like. I'm just guessing based on the things I listed.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
This whole thing is hypothetical. I don't know what the game is going to be like. I'm just guessing based on the things I listed.
All the reasons you posted were valid and reasonable, I think it's just the title of the thread caused a bit of controversy lol.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman

This can go either way. I don't think WiiU will get near the same level of sales as the wii and remember that you could play melee on the wii. The next smash probably won't sell more copies than Brawl but maybe it won't even sell more than Melee. Untill after a good few years atleast.

Brawl having a huge audience/fanbase didn't help it very much in EVO-regards.

But I think every other point you bring up seem very plausible. Let's just hope the game becomes what has been promised. A competetive game but accesible for casuals. A middle ground or a game that is the good things from Melee and the good things from Brawl. We all know that when talking about succeding as a viewer sport you need to keep the casual accesibility very good to. Cause just hard core gamers watching something isn't gonna give huge viewer numbers. Wich is pretty clear when watching the biggest E-sport games today.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Whether or not EVO will accept it depends on how good the game turns out to be. If its reminiscent of Brawl in even the slightest way, a huge portion of this community is immediately going to reject it. We got side-winded with Brawl at the start because we were still swooning at how amazing our relationship was with Melee. I don't see that happening again. People are going to be very critical upon its release.

I don't think Nintendo promoting it is likely to happen simply because there is not as much money to be made in promoting a game they've already sold to the consumer outside of some form of advertisements (to which there are better methods for Nintendo titles.)

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Whether or not EVO will accept it depends on how good the game turns out to be. If its reminiscent of Brawl in even the slightest way, a huge portion of this community is immediately going to reject it. We got side-winded with Brawl at the start because we were still swooning at how amazing our relationship was with Melee. I don't see that happening again. People are going to be very critical upon its release.

I don't think Nintendo promoting it is likely to happen simply because there is not as much money to be made in promoting a game they've already sold to the consumer outside of some form of advertisements (to which there are better methods for Nintendo titles.)

If it is as mechanically sound as Melee with more content/characters/balancing then oh my GOD yes it will Smash everything and be immensely good.

If its remotely like Brawl then it will dive, hard.

We just have to hope Sakurai doesn't mess up, again.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't think anything can replace melee. n64 to melee improved greatly. Melee to brawl caused spilts so brawl to Smash 4 I don't know yet. All smash's can co-exist unless there is a small that universally appealing to everyone once again.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
If it is as mechanically sound as Melee with more content/characters/balancing then oh my GOD yes it will Smash everything and be immensely good.

If its remotely like Brawl then it will dive, hard.

We just have to hope Sakurai doesn't mess up, again.
-_- I hate posts like this

We already know it's going to be between Brawl and Melee in terms of speed (And most likely mechanics) so it's already, at least, "remotely" like Brawl. I, however, don't want Melee 2. I don't want Brawl 2 either. Sm4sh could be so much better than both games mechanically.

Also, Sakurai never "messed up" with Brawl, he just went in a different direction.

I don't think anything can replace melee.
That is not what this thread is about...

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
-_- I hate posts like this

We already know it's going to be between Brawl and Melee in terms of speed (And most likely mechanics) so it's already, at least, "remotely" like Brawl. I, however, don't want Melee 2. I don't want Brawl 2 either. Sm4sh could be so much better than both games mechanically.

Also, Sakurai never "messed up" with Brawl, he just went in a different direction.

That is not what this thread is about...

Yes but the "speed" wasn't the big problem with it. It was just overall dumbed down and completely took everything 20 steps backwards.

I would be happy with Melee 2.0, but if its not it better be as good if not better.

What is wrong with Melee in your eyes? Its still being played TO THIS DAY it shows its a great game. Why not recreate and improve upon it instead of going backwards?

Boggles my mind mun.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
What is wrong with Melee in your eyes? Its still being played TO THIS DAY it shows its a great game. Why not recreate and improve upon it instead of going backwards?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with Melee (even though there are flaws, since no game is perfect), I just prefer a game that's a just a tad bit slower paced. A game where you have more of a sense what's happening on screen. This is essentially what I'm looking for:
Though I'd rather see the game played by competitive players to see how that'd look.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I didn't say there was anything wrong with Melee (even though there are flaws, since no game is perfect), I just prefer a game that's a just a tad bit slower paced. A game where you have more of a sense what's happening on screen. This is essentially what I'm looking for:
Though I'd rather see the game played by competitive players to see how that'd look.
Off topic, but every time I watch that video I cringe at the commentary so I have to mute it. :c

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Melee was a side event so it may not be back next year. We'll see.

I think the issue is not SSB4 replacing Melee. It's more will the community except it or bash it for not being Melee.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I think the issue is not SSB4 replacing Melee. It's more will the community except it or bash it for not being Melee.
I tend to not care about morons who disown the game purely because it's not almost perfectly like Melee.
Though I doubt there's anyone that stupid. Right? Right?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace

I think the community will see SSB4 and Melee as complementary games. Melee will be the game people play when they want something super fast paced, nostalgic, familiar, technical. Smash 4 will be the game people play when they want something with more balance (supposedly), more variety, more polish, better visuals, a bigger character and stage selection, and online. Basically each one will have something the other is missing.

Also, considering the number of views, the amount of hype and the unique gameplay style, I can see Smash becoming a staple at EVO.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Well to be honest...some games have truly replaced others at EVO. For example, 3rd Strike is no longer seen at EVO; only Street Fighter 4 is.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Wait... so you're actually serious? I... I'm...

What do I have to not be serious about? Being a different style of game and being a game with a lot of mistakes and inherent problems are different circumstances. Just because Brawl was directed with a philosophy towards the former doesn't mean it dodged the bullet that was the latter.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I could be wrong, but I don't think 3rd Strike is that popular anymore.

There's a hidden community out there that enjoys 3rd Strike just like the hidden Melee community. It exists, just not that many people know of it. Same thing with Turbo etc etc. Its just a simple counter argument that anything can happen. I don't honestly have an opinion on the subject.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
There's a hidden community out there that enjoys 3rd Strike just like the hidden Melee community. It exists, just not that many people know of it. Same thing with Turbo etc etc. Its just a simple counter argument that anything can happen. I don't honestly have an opinion on the subject.
I thought that 3rd Strike went through it's lifetime. People still play it, and they still have side tournies, but it's not as hype because people have essentially seen it all too many times. I don't have any proof of this, but I assumed that's why I heard of it less and less overtime.

Top Bottom