• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really, really weird Netplay problem (low ping, frames dropping, good computer)

Gigabitten

Smash Rookie
So I can connect with somebody with a 20 ms ping and I still lag. I just can't make sense of it. I had a friend only a state away (I have 35 ms ping to him) help me out and we discovered that every single setting should be correct. We compared MD5 checksums and they were the same. Nonetheless, my games are very laggy, being between 40 and 55 frames per second whenever I try to play over netplay.

PC specs:
-8GB ram
-2.2 gigahertz Intel i5 processor
-Nvidia 950m
-a lot of extra storage space on my SSD and my HDD

What I've tried:
-every single imaginable anything that's along the lines of "make program run using GPU instead of onboard processor"
-using NetLimiter to prevent background processes from eating up bandwidth
-playing late at night when nobody else is using the Internet connection
-closing all programs except FM 4.4 and chrome
-redownloading FM 4.4
-connecting with somebody only an hour's drive away
-probably a few other things I haven't even mentioned

Gigabitten

Smash Rookie
have you tried using dolphin 5.0?
Huh. I tried that, and the result was actually pretty positive. I didn't lag nearly as badly, although there was still a bit of lag which could be chalked up to the distance. This isn't really the issue though. Sometimes I have friends I'd like to play with over netplay, and FM 4.4 is pretty much the standard by now. What I'd really like is to just get 4.4 working, both for this reason and because I really just want to know what on earth is wrong with it.

Also, since a lot more people use 4.4, getting that working would provide vastly more options for who to connect to over netplay, meaning my ping would be better on average.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Getting framedrops and 5.0 working better is an indicator that there is a problem with your hardware. Make sure you are using the high performance power setting for your laptop so the CPU isn't throttled.
Optimize your settings according to the dolphin performance guide. Most of these settings are optimized by default when downloading dolphin from smashladder.com ( 1 , 2 ). If all that doesn't help, reinstalling windows might.
Are you using an external monitor? Some laptops only utilize their graphics card if they are connected to an external monitor.
What's the exact model of your cpu? I would guess it's a i5 5200u, which should be enough to run FM.

Gigabitten

Smash Rookie
Okay, I solved the issue. I'll go through the steps that I took to fix it.
1 - looked through my processes and figured out what was eating up CPU. Turns out, it was chrome and Steam. I turned off both, but the problem persisted, albeit not as badly.
2 - reset my computer to factory. I didn't have anything valuable anyway.
3 - redownloaded all the neccessary files and stuff.
4 - set Dolphin.exe's process priority to realtime. WARNING. Do NOT do this if your CPU usage is at 100%. It will slow your computer to a halt. Only do this if you're at less than 100% and want to allocate Dolphin more CPU.

Everything seems to be fine now. Hopefully this thread helps somebody else who's having similar issues.

Rubenmtz02

Smash Rookie
i have the same issue, difference is that i been fm for over a month and today it suddenly dropped the FPS from 60 to 55 I tried everything except reseting to factory, any tips

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
Make sure you have the buffer set to the correct amount. I believe FM has 8 ping to 1 buffer and 5.0 has 4 ping to 1 buffer.

Rubenmtz02

Smash Rookie
Make sure you have the buffer set to the correct amount. I believe FM has 8 ping to 1 buffer and 5.0 has 4 ping to 1 buffer.
I forgot to say that this problem exists even if im not playing online

Top Bottom