• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really Feeling It: Three Expert Opinions On Smash 4 Shulk

Are our readers really feeling it? Well when Shulk was announced for Smash we know Xenoblade fans were! With an enormous sword and new mechanics in his Monado Arts he looked to be an interesting new character to join the roster. But now over a year into the game how does Shulk measure up against the rest of the cast? We brought in three Shulk experts to weigh in on the character.
  • Artryuu - She is Power Ranked #2 in Ottawa, places top 8 in Ottawa monthlies.
  • SilentDoom - Placed Top 12 at BEAST 5, consistently in top 32 at UK monthlies.
  • Jerm - HM on Ontario Power Rankings. Placed 4th at Well Player. Famous Youtube and Twitch channels based on spreading Shulk information.
So how do these three experts feel about Shulk in Smash 4? Let's find out!

Disadvantages

All three of our experts mentioned one thing: his frame data. "The immense start-up on his moveset means that he often can't play as reactively as he would like." SilentDoom said. "Meanwhile it's incredibly easy to play reactive vs him and he consequently relies on reads and attempting to cover multiple options at once." Artryuu agreed and added "Shulk is prone to be shield grabbed if not spacing well and one mistake can cost a big punish."

This can cause issues with his general gameplay as SilentDoom explained. "Coupled with his lack of a projectile, this leads to him losing close and long range exchanges vs pretty much the entire cast, forcing him to play a tight mid-range game that he simply can't always force his opponents to play. His size, weight, fall speed, lack of a fast aerial and his lack of a decent out of shield option barring Air Slash also mean he's incredibly susceptible to being pressured and comboed."

"His recovery can also be easily manipulated and punished and he has trouble landing in certain matchups." Jerm told us. "He also has an incredibly high learning curve, essentially being five characters in one which makes him a difficult character to pick up and do well with."

Advantages

The three also had resounding agreement that his biggest strengths came from his range and the Monado Arts. "With some of the largest disjoints in the game, Shulk can effectively wall out his opponents with proper spacing." Jerm said and SilentDoom commented, " His Nair, Fair and Bair in particular are fantastic moves for controlling mid range and can do a great job covering multiple of your opponent's offensive options."

Jerm Explains MALLC (Monado Art Landing Lag Cancel)

SilentDoom also had a lot to say on the Monado Arts themselves. "Meanwhile the Monado Arts allow him access to essentially 5 different gameplay dynamics at once that your opponent has to be weary of and adapt to on the fly, as well as granting him a plethora of useful advanced tech options such as MALLC (Monado Art Landing Lag Cancel), MADC (Monado Art Dash Cancel) and a plethora of nifty b-reverse options." Despite their strengths Artryuu did point out that "Unfortunately he only has 5 arts and they have a cool down so you can't forever MALLC." She still had praise for their strengths also saying "He can get early kills with his arts and at the same time be the hardest character to kill with shield art on."

SilentDoom also mentioned the potency of Shulk's unique counter. "His Vision counter also works as a very potent wildcard off of a good read due to its absurd damage and knockback and its unblockable property."

Relevant Matchups

Playing Shulk so long may have given these players Vision of their own as they just kept agreeing as we went to discuss relevant matchups saying that Sheik, Diddy Kong, Mario, and Fox were among his worst "due to them being able to completely overwhelm him with vastly superior frame data." as SilentDoom put it. Jerm also commented "These characters can be extremely painful to deal with and each of them requires a great deal of knowledge in the MU to avoid getting comboed while also being able to retaliate. Shulk must also abuse the rage mechanic to really get an edge on these characters."

Luigi was also mentioned by all of the players as a matchups Shulk had the advantage in. Artryuu mentioned Olimar and Donkey Kong as Jerm mentioned Yoshi. The reason? He can outspace them all. "Yoshi gets outranged by Shulk, and the very aggressive ones are easy to vision." Jerm told us and as Artryuu artfully put it "Shulk can space this characters for days."

Is Shulk Viable?

This was one area where all of the experts finally did not agree. "I personally don't believe Shulk is viable at a national level." SilentDoom told us. "While the Shulk mains have been working incredibly hard to find new tech and apply it in creative ways, the fundamental core of the character is awful and as a result he loses to a lot of simple basic fundamental things. I'd personally rank him within the bottom 10, though I'll admit that's likely a lower position than most of my fellow Shulk mains would place him."

He was very correct at the optimism of his fellow Shulk experts. "Shulk can indeed be viable at national level, not everyone knows hot to play Shulk on a top level which you can use to your advantage." Artryuu said. "Darkwolf, Tremendo, Jerm and I have gotten notable results of tourneys. He is still with his flaws, but still viable."

Jerm commented on Shulks still untapped potential. "Unlike some characters with lacking frame data, Shulk has the range to make up for it. He can also utilize art cancels to effectively apply safe pressure. A fully optimized Shulk is indeed a force to be reckoned with."

Advice For Shulk Mains?

"My advice to anyone interested in Shulk is to dedicate full on Shulk only." Artryuu said. "He is just not a character you can simply pick up. You have to be aware of his frame data and flaws. I have only been using Shulk , I currently have no secondary. The developers put so much character in him, he is amazing, so I dedicate all friendlies and tournies with him. I am staying loyal to the character."

SilentDoom had his own words to say. "In terms of advice, I recommend first of all getting accustomed to Shulk's hitboxes and spacing. People's first recommendations are often to understand the Monado Arts but by this point I'd like to think they're fairly self explanatory. Instead focus on the timings of your fast fall short hop Bairs and the spacing of your Nairs, Fairs and DTilts. Once you get a good feel for Shulk's neutral in general expand upon how you creatively employ his options. I personally love perfect pivot UTilt as an anti-air for instance. Shulk is a very dynamic character that can really reflect the player. No two Shulks really play identically, which is part of why he's so interesting"

---​

A special thank you to Artryuu, SilentDoom, and Jerm for giving their expertise for this article. Agree or disagree with these Shulk experts? Have a suggestion for the next character we should cover? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future expert analysis on characters from all Smash titles

Last edited:

Comments

Yeah Artryuu and Jerm! Awesome to see them getting the front page spotlight, these two (As well as Darkwolf from Montreal, who just placed 5th out of 120+ at Smash Intensifies 2) are some of the most impressive Shulks I have ever seen, and make me think this character has some serious potential.

Last edited:
Agree with all of this. I would personally put Shulk somewhere in the middle tiers.

I wonder how the meta of Shulk will develop, because really, I have been playing Shulk since smash 4 came out and I have still lot of AT to learn about the character (Monadacus being the recent one).

Though, I do have secondary to help me in the most troublesome matchups (namely Sheik, Fox, Sonic).

Last edited:
I think I will stick with Shulk as much as I could I had some ups and downs when using Shulk, but I still have a lot to improve.

I think Artryuu's words ring true: "My advice to anyone interested in Shulk is to dedicate full on Shulk only. He is just not a character you can simply pick up. You have to be aware of his frame data and flaws."

I'm a Samus main trying to find my secondary, and I've been training my Shulk off and on for that purpose but struggle a lot with him. I think I see why now. He really does take dedication, but so does my main, which poses a problem considering the limited time I have for Smash in the first place.

He is a really fun character to use though, and I love Xenoblade of course.

I love Shulk. He was my most wanted character for the game, and I love playing as him. I think he is a bit tricky, honestly. I also don't think he has a ton of setups and can be easy to read. That said, what he does have is pretty decent so even if your opponent knows what you're going to do, it'll be hard for them to avoid it.

D
I know a friend of mine who'd be very interested in reading all this considering he's a dedicated Shulk main as well. Great job as usual, Capps! This is a very interesting series, gives exposure to more overlooked characters in the meta while showing what their best players think of them. It's an awesome concept being executed quite well.

I think what they said was pretty much spot-on. Yeah, a lot of his moves have a ton of start-up/end lag, but his range and Monado Arts can make up for it. I've been maining Shulk almost since the game came out and I must say, although he is tough to use at first, he becomes really fun to play once you understand him.

I guess you could say, "I'm really feeling it!"
(Sorry, I had to)

On a somewhat related not, I'm really excited about Xenoblade X this weekend!

I love how Shulk in Xenoblade canon spends so much time in his lab, and in order to be skilled as Shulk in Smash Bros you have to put so much time in the lab yourself.

Great read! Thanks for the shoutout as well!

I love how this article goes up the day after I get Xenoblade and while I am playing it, with my Shulk Amiibo nearby.

IMAG0269.jpg

I'm surprised Rosalina wasn't mentioned as a relevant match up THIS time though. Shulk actually does alright against her.

I've fought some good Shulks from the Discord server, and they make me and my 400+ hours of playing Shulk feel sad.
"A fully optimized Shulk is indeed a force to be reckoned with." I believe it 100%. With great spacing and timing, it can be hard to get close to Shulk at all!

Hopefully the addition of Cloud inspires the dev team to give Shulk some frame data buffs, akin to some of the buffs they gave our other resident greatsword wielder, Ike. With better frame data attacks, Shulk could be high on the tier list.

My own expert opinion-

If you want to know how viable Shulk is, well, he's viable. Though, aren't most characters? That's not very special. As for viable enough to get top positions worldwide... eh...? It is hard to say. NOBODY has full optimized him. I think he has a shot in the right hands, and some time will start making guides to help people at ALL levels of play understand him better.

He certainly would be much more viable with custom moves on. Shulk mains would really benefit from custom moves being allowed.

Match-ups are tricky to discuss with Shulk, because there are so many ways to go about each one. There is also so much variance in Shulk playstyle that a consistent score from each person on a match-up is hard to attain.

Shulk in a nutshell:
Great range
Versatility with monado arts and advanced techniques
Terrible lag and start-up
-You can weigh them however you like. Though, this is the origins of Shulk's high learning curve. Range, the monado arts, and advanced techniques all require skill and/or thought.

My advice to people is, honestly, visit the Shulk smashboards subforum. There is much more useful information there than on youtube. Most of our findings don't reach the general public just because people do not read the Shulk subforum.

I'd personally would like to see a Samus analysis. Her bombs are one of her most underrated moves. Being that she can break shields in many ways, and has an incredible punish for it (bomb>dair) along with all of her combos (yes she has them) and strange properties of her first jab.

I'd personally would like to see a Samus analysis. Her bombs are one of her most underrated moves. Being that she can break shields in many ways, and has an incredible punish for it (bomb>dair) along with all of her combos (yes she has them) and strange properties of her first jab.
yeah Shieldbreak game with Samus is powerful

Shulk seems like a decent character, yes, but he takes a hell of a lot of dedication and solitary training to master. I'm no Monado Boy main-- I've tried and failed numerous times to play him. He's a really complex character, requiring much more general skill and knowledge to play than most. While he may have his problems, Shulk, to me, is borderline-viable.

Shulk is a fun character to play, but his terrible frame data holds him back and that's the reason why I chose Mario over him as my main and decided to secondary Shulk. I only take him out of the matchup didn't go well with Mario or I'm playing against a noob. It would be nice if the devs gave shulk a buff or in other words faster moves.

Last edited:
D
Interesting read.

I once had Shulk as a secondary. Shulk was my most wanted character, he is my second favorite video game character (behind Luigi), and I LOVE Xenoblade Chronicles.

However, I dropped him because I couldn't get used to him. His frame data is terrible, I think that he gets easily combo'd, and I find him to be too complicated, having to master techniques that I can't really do (like MALLC). I could take the time to do so, but most of my devotion goes towards Luigi... so I couldn't really practice with Shulk. I play as him in friendlies, but I don't play as him in any sort of competitive environment.

It's true... you need to play and dedicate your time as Shulk to get the most out of him and he can't easily be played and mastered. You need to know and master the ins and outs of this character and even the game. So... he isn't for everyone.

I think that he is viable, though. A good Shulk is scary... I know from experience fighting some good ones.

Major strengths/advantages:
Open with feelings
Gymnast build husbando
Large sword with mini lightsaber
Underwear mode

Viability:
7/10 not Zelda

Shulk has to pretty much be THE hardest character to use. You have to understand how his Monado Arts work, and you also have to try to work around the start-up lag that some of his attacks suffer from.

Back Slash is obviously one move that you need to understand correctly, since its execution lag can result in Shulk getting shield-grabbed if he doesn't strike his opponent from behind.

So what's a good way to exploit bad frame data? Because in 2 vs 2's, Shulks can be really annoying by retreating into an attacking heavyweight partner and countering/using range.

As a Yoshi player, I concur that the little green guy kinda just gets Manado'd to death if he tries to approach. Yoshi pretty much just loses in the majority of the approach options he has against Shulk's range. Although I have to question if the matchup is a bad one for Yoshi though. Mostly because Yoshi can play a pretty strong long-range game with eggs and force Shulk to approach. On the other hand, speed art lets Shulk get around Yoshi egg zoning mostly for free, but then he's closer so I don't really know how to call it. What I do know is that Yoshi can edgegaurd Shulk pretty good, so he's got that going for him.

Last edited:
"Shulk can indeed be viable at national level, not everyone knows hot to play Shulk on a top level which you can use to your advantage." Artryuu said.
Sure, your opponent not having the MU knowledge will make an impact on the match, but just because your characters MU's are a relative unknown doesn't make them viable.

You can cheese out a bunch of lower level players without the knowledge, but when you fight higher level players they will catch on to your gimmicks. When they stop working what are you left with? If you run into someone whom actually has studied the match-up, then you're left with your bare bones options.

Top Bottom