• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
I 100% support this! I've been wanting a smash 64 mod for brawl for so long and now it's finally happening. Just one thing I want to mention, if Ganondorf gets added to the roster then PLEASE don't make him fight like Captain Falcon. It's Sakurai's mistake and it makes no sense to this day. End rant.
I know this comment is old as h ell but cmon you don't really think Ganondorf ever played like Captain Falcon right? For casuals who don't think about the properties of moves I understand them thinking they are the same character due to animations but assuming you are a competitive smasher since you are on smashboards do you actually think that? Eh this was a year ago maybe you were noob at the time so sorry if I am speaking to your past-noob-self right now lol.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I know this comment is old as h ell but cmon you don't really think Ganondorf ever played like Captain Falcon right? For casuals who don't think about the properties of moves I understand them thinking they are the same character due to animations but assuming you are a competitive smasher since you are on smashboards do you actually think that? Eh this was a year ago maybe you were noob at the time so sorry if I am speaking to your past-noob-self right now lol.
Well, of course not. The point is Ganondorf as far as his move set shouldn't be the way it is, meaning it should be more accurate due to him having a lot more to work with from the zelda games he's been in compared to Sakurai making C. falcon from scratch. Yes I know Sakurai didn't have enough time to flesh out Ganondorf in Melee but what about Brawl and Smash 4? Regardless if you main Ganondorf or not do you honestly think Sakurai made the right decision for the third time? What it looks like is Sakurai is either lazy or bias as **** because you'd think he would prioritize and handle a well known villain from one of Nintendo's biggest and successful franchises better than what we have now.

But you know, it happened so we might as well deal with it right?

Rage83

Smash Ace
I'm very interested in this project. I wish I could help in some way, but alas, I lack any knowledge of 64. I can't wait to see the finished product. Quick question (since I'm too lazy to check the other pages of posts), do you plan on removing some of the more convient mechanics that were added in Melee/Brawl (ex: being able to do aerials with C-Stick)? Also, how many characters are you planning to have? Just the original 12?
The plan is to get out a first demo with the original twelve, then, in future demos, expand it to 64-esque versions of Melee and Brawl characters, complete with stat conversions and their 64 designs. (Mr. Game and Watch will only recieve brighter colors based upon colors present in other characters, like the red from Mario's overalls. As for other characters, they will recieve 64 reimaginings of their closest design time-wise, like a version of Wind Waker Toon Link, or Pikmin 1 Olimar.

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
The plan is to get out a first demo with the original twelve, then, in future demos, expand it to 64-esque versions of Melee and Brawl characters, complete with stat conversions and their 64 designs. (Mr. Game and Watch will only recieve brighter colors based upon colors present in other characters, like the red from Mario's overalls. As for other characters, they will recieve 64 reimaginings of their closest design time-wise, like a version of Wind Waker Toon Link, or Pikmin 1 Olimar.
That depends on what the mechanics are from Melee/Brawl. Some will be removed, while adding new ones, but I can't say about what we're adding/removing mechanics, excluding the obvious ones. The final version will be having at least the entire Brawl roster, as far as I know right now. (THIS HAS NOT BEEN FINALIZED.)
Are you keeping Up throws and Down throws?
That question is a little obvious, but no.

Last edited:

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
That depends on what the mechanics are from Melee/Brawl. Some will be removed, while adding new ones, but I can't say about what we're adding/removing mechanics, excluding the obvious ones. The final version will be having at least the entire Brawl roster, as far as I know right now.

That question is a little obvious, but no.
To be honest I'm not really a fan of that decision -_- I mean it's still gonna be hype but, eh... okay I guess :(

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
That and are you going to remove all new mechanics? B-reversals etc.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Something I really need to know is, will you be able to use the C-Stick for aerials?
Okay devs there is too much interest in it to ignore it, c-stick aerials, are they in because they help movement options and feel smoother overall or are they out because that ain't 64? I do really want c-stick aerials in and I think it is a wise decision to do so but if you don't then that ain't 64 is all the reason you have to give us, but we need one.
That and are you going to remove all new mechanics? B-reversals etc.
There is absolutely no reason this should be removed, removing B-reversal would just be pointless and excessive but nevertheless you guys should give your stand on it

Okay, to be honest there are a lot of these new mechanics that you guys (the devs I'm talking to) have to be able to decide if they are in or not, and you should really tell people so, I am not trying to tell you how to make your game but I can't stress enough how I think you guys should keep an open mind to newer mechanics, I'm not saying do anything crazy like give melee DI or give an airdodge to the game that would be pointless but maybe just reconsider the choice of taking out down and up throws among a few other things I can't name off the top of my mind. Just be open to making it operate slightly different than how the game you are trying to make it operate like does, don't just clone smash 64 with new characters, nobody wants to play that to be honest, let it branch off ever so slightly so that it still plays incredibly similar to smash 64 but its not just something that would make you rather just boot up a 64 and play the original instead of downloading the mod. Maybe try to add a little bit of depth to the game that you guys feel never really was there in a certain aspect, tl:dr don't be afraid to sh it on people's childhoods to make a really da mn good game :) which I feel like is happening the way the project is developing aside from a few incidents... cough cough give us uthrow and dthrow you jerks cough cough lol jkjkjk
Lastly, keep up the good work devs, you are all gifts from the smash 64 gods :D

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Okay devs there is too much interest in it to ignore it, c-stick aerials, are they in because they help movement options and feel smoother overall or are they out because that ain't 64? I do really want c-stick aerials in and I think it is a wise decision to do so but if you don't then that ain't 64 is all the reason you have to give us, but we need one.

There is absolutely no reason this should be removed, removing B-reversal would just be pointless and excessive but nevertheless you guys should give your stand on it

Okay, to be honest there are a lot of these new mechanics that you guys (the devs I'm talking to) have to be able to decide if they are in or not, and you should really tell people so, I am not trying to tell you how to make your game but I can't stress enough how I think you guys should keep an open mind to newer mechanics, I'm not saying do anything crazy like give melee DI or give an airdodge to the game that would be pointless but maybe just reconsider the choice of taking out down and up throws among a few other things I can't name off the top of my mind. Just be open to making it operate slightly different than how the game you are trying to make it operate like does, don't just clone smash 64 with new characters, nobody wants to play that to be honest, let it branch off ever so slightly so that it still plays incredibly similar to smash 64 but its not just something that would make you rather just boot up a 64 and play the original instead of downloading the mod. Maybe try to add a little bit of depth to the game that you guys feel never really was there in a certain aspect, tl:dr don't be afraid to sh it on people's childhoods to make a really da mn good game :) which I feel like is happening the way the project is developing aside from a few incidents... cough cough give us uthrow and dthrow you jerks cough cough lol jkjkjk
Although i don't particularly mind the removal of B-reversals and 2 of the throws, i must agree with the part about staying slightly open minded, especially when it comes to the cstick and modifying control schemes for comfort vs accuracy. For alot of people, it'd be tough to change the way you play simply because smash 64 didn't have the controller and scheme that brawl does. C stick aerials and smash attacks might still need to be a thing simply because 4 of the 6 smash games allow you to use a gamecube controller with the same inputs across the board. Forcing someone to change the way the game is played may not work out in your favor in the longrun...

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123

C-Shtick Aerials/Smashes are staying in.

I'm not sure about the B-Reversals. I'd like to keep it, IMO.
Although i don't particularly mind the removal of B-reversals and 2 of the throws, i must agree with the part about staying slightly open minded, especially when it comes to the cstick and modifying control schemes for comfort vs accuracy. For alot of people, it'd be tough to change the way you play simply because smash 64 didn't have the controller and scheme that brawl does. C stick aerials and smash attacks might still need to be a thing simply because 4 of the 6 smash games allow you to use a gamecube controller with the same inputs across the board. Forcing someone to change the way the game is played may not work out in your favor in the longrun...
My team is going to have a private meeting very soon, to decide on everything: from mechanics that are old and new, to characters, and stages.

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Good to know. I'd love to see this become a reality. I didn't grow up with Smash 64, but I love watching 64 players like Isai. I'd love to somehow help.

Rage83

Smash Ace
I hope this mod adds SOMETHING new to the game instead being smash 64 hd basically
The plan is to get out a first demo with the original twelve, then, in future demos, expand it to 64-esque versions of Melee and Brawl characters, complete with stat conversions, and their 64 designs. (Mr. Game and Watch will only recieve brighter colors based upon colors present in other characters, like the red from Mario's overalls. As for other characters, they will recieve 64 reimaginings of their closest design time-wise, like a version of Wind Waker Toon Link, or Pikmin 1 Olimar.
In addition to what I said in my quote, characters may have other move/mechanic changes(for example, Pit's recovery cannot have the same amount of potency as in Brawl)

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Will Mario get his old fireball back? You know, The big one.

the really nice and slow one

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Just one screenshot, that's all I'm asking for...
We may have a preview of something soon, but I do have some unfortunate news. The first demo will most likely not be out in time for the release of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. We will get some preview out before the release of Smash though. It may be big or small. We may even do that Q&A if we can get most of the team aboard. It will be all told in due time. Just keep in smashin!

Maybe we will do a small Smash 3DS tournament even. To help you guys pull over. If we do actually do this tournament we will make an announcement here.

e018s

Smash Rookie
We may have a preview of something soon, but I do have some unfortunate news. The first demo will most likely not be out in time for the release of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. We will get some preview out before the release of Smash though. It may be big or small. We may even do that Q&A if we can get most of the team aboard. It will be all told in due time. Just keep in smashin!

Maybe we will do a small Smash 3DS tournament even. To help you guys pull over. If we do actually do this tournament we will make an announcement here.
Can you confirm before 2015 ? Or nah?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Smash 64? Cool. Hey, a quick question, are you going to buff the characters that suck like P:M did or they will still suck?

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of having no up/down throws with 64 type falling, chaingrabs would be terribly broken. Also, I am super hyped for this mod.

Two things I want to request from the devs, could you remove grab out of shield and jump from ledge grab. First one is a must and latter is just for 64 feels. Having no grab oos lets you get more creative on shield pressure.

Pardon me if you already mentioned this somewhere, I didn't take the time to look through the thread.

Obskore

Smash Ace
Grab OoS is an element also present in Smash 64, and a MUST HAVE in smash overall, if it wasn't for the grab button, you'd still have to grab by pressing A during shield, but sometimes it's even hard to successfully grab someone OoS due to the massive shieldstun present in smash 64, which should also be ported into PR64 for the sake of loyalty to the original game IMO
the "no ledge jump" part is acceptable though, we still have ledgehopping and the actual ledge jump isn't even that used, so yeah

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Wait, forgive me, but when I played 64 Smash I couldn't grab oos for anything. Was it me not timing the grab correctly or do you press a button other than grab?

Also, another thing I thought of after my post up there. Will there be sidestepping? You devs could try to use Brawl Minus Zeus to get the code as that Brawl mod takes sidestepping out.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
What's the status on this? Will it look and sound like 64 and have its general look and feel?

Rage83

Smash Ace
What's the status on this? Will it look and sound like 64 and have its general look and feel?
It's actually going to have a few versions. One with Brawl sounds and looks, and another with 64 assets. As for redoing the 64 assets to be of a higher quality, that would be a third build that I personally would handle(with assistance from the team). This build would admittedly be in a kind of grey area between official and unofficial, but would be hosted on my Dropbox along with the rest of the official downloads. We would like to have our own site, but we could use a bit of assistance with that. As for having a link to the site/download link on Brawl Vault and Smashboards, it can be expected, at least for the first release.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
It's actually going to have a few versions. One with Brawl sounds and looks, and another with 64 assets. As for redoing the 64 assets to be of a higher quality, that would be a third build that I personally would handle(with assistance from the team). This build would admittedly be in a kind of grey area between official and unofficial, but would be hosted on my Dropbox along with the rest of the official downloads. We would like to have our own site, but we could use a bit of assistance with that. As for having a link to the site/download link on Brawl Vault and Smashboards, it can be expected, at least for the first release.
I can help write the site if you want. I work with CSS, HTML and PHP frequently and currently run 2 websites.

Top Bottom