• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ready to crush some babies!- The Heavy(TF2) Support thread

Do you want the heavy in?

• Yes!

Votes: 119 88.8%
  • NO!

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Idk...

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Who the heck is he?

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Good lord the Heavy's moveset looks like a Mess, having his Jab be his Minigun sounds horrible, if anything the Eviction Notice should be his jab or his KGB.
I'm not trying to be hateful or anything, but having a slow, heavyweight character with a ranged jab sounds pretty terrible.

Side Special sounds more fitting for his Minigun though.
I gave him the mini-gun for his jab because it’s his main means of attack in TF2. I feel like having his gun be in his specials just isn’t right and makes him too samey comepared to a lot of the other fighters in the game. Besides, it’s not that far off from megaman’s, which is nearly identical but with the added up tilt.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I think in Smash, TF2 characters would stand idle with their melee weapons, much easier to work with especially for Heavy as his Minigun is a two-handed weapon. They can quickly pull out their guns in TF2 anyway so Heavy pulling out a Machinegun for a smash attack would be fine. I know not having out at all times is a little more basic and not as canon, but with how smash handles movesets, I don't see them revolving the moveset around him carrying a really massive gun at all times.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I love TF2 to death, I mean, that where my username comes from lol.

But I'm a little sad that this has a lot more comments than the Gordon Freeman thread. I wish people would look at him as a potential option more.

HL1/HL2/TF2/Portal 2 are all among my favorite games if we did like a top 20, but we wouldn't have TF2 or Portal without Half-Life. I think it's legacy deserves more support is all I'm saying.

I'm still down for the Heavy of course.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sure! I'd love the Heavy to be in Smash! I'd like to contribute my moveset, too:

Jab: Heavy does a one-two hit before ending with an uppercut.

F-tilt: Demoman slashes downwards with his sword.

U-tilt: Soldier slashes upwards with the Half-Zatoichi. If this move lands, it deals great damage and heals the Heavy, however whiffing causes recoil damage.

D-tilt: Heavy punches forwards while crouching.

Dash Attack: Heavy performs a powerful haymaker with the Gloves of Running Urgently.

Pummel: Heavy simply grabs the opponent with both hands. He will then headbutt the opponent as a pummel.

F-throw: Scout takes out the Force-A-Nature and fires two shots at the opponent, sending them flying away. This can be used as a great kill move.

D-throw: Soldier jumps upwards, then lands on the opponent with the Mantreads, launching them upwards.

B-throw: Spy appears and swipes his knife at the opponent twice before lunging forwards, launching them. If this throw is sure to kill, Spy will instead backstab the opponent for the total damage.

U-throw: Demoman fires a couple sticky bombs down on the opponent before detonating them, damaging both the throw victim and anyone else within the blast.

N-air: Heavy punches both in front of and behind himself.

F-air: Scout appears and smacks the opponent with his baseball bat.

B-air: Pyro fires the Dragon’s Fury behind Heavy, shooting a large fireball that works similarly to Samus’ Charge Shot.

D-air: Soldier fires downwards with the rocket launcher. If Heavy is close to the blast, he will take part in a rocket jump, giving him increased mobility.

U-air: Heavy uppercuts above himself.

Side Smash: Heavy takes out the Family Business and fires a shot. The attack can be angled and deals more damage the closer the opponent is, like Joker’s Gun at lesser ranges.

Up Smash: Demoman charges the Loose Cannon before letting loose a large cannonball that explodes after 1 second. The cannonball itself works similarly to Snake’s mortar, except it doesn’t fall towards the ground. The longer you charge, the higher it will go.

Down Smash: Pyro breathes fire around Heavy before creating a burst of fire around itself. The initial charge is a constant hitbox, similar to Corrin’s F-Smash, and the burst is very powerful to boot.

Neutral B: Minigun/Merc Attack: By tapping B, the Heavy can fire with his Minigun, and can continuously by fired by mashing B. However, by holding B, the Heavy can open a wheel that he can use to swap Mercs that can attack for the Heavy. These Mercs are as follows:
  • Scout: The Scattergun is a weapon that is used to keep opponents away easily. The range isn’t that great, but Scout can move outwards when he’s summoned, only stopping when he’s hit an opponent or when he’s reached 3 Bowser’s away.
  • Soldier: The Rocket Launcher is a shoulder-mounted weapon that shoots straight ahead. The rocket explodes on hit, damaging opponents caught in the blast. However, the rocket is slow and can be easily avoided. Plus, it’s a projectile, meaning the rocket can be reflected.
  • Pyro: The Flamethrower is a short-range damage-racking weapon. The range is terrible, but mashing the B button has Pyro constantly firing it while the opponent is aiming, making it a good way to scare away enemies.
  • Demoman: The Grenade Launcher fires a few bombs that go in an arc. The bombs will explode 3 seconds after being fired, or until an opponent touches it. To make up for its predictability, Demoman’s bombs are the hardest-hitting attack in the entire moveset.
  • Engineer: The Shotgun is a simple weapon that deals less damage and knockback the farther out the opponent is. Engie can use this as a good way to keep opponents away from far ranges or knock opponents away up close.
  • Medic: The Syringe Gun is a weapon as weak as Fox’s Blaster, but it has a very high fire rate and the syringes themselves travel very fast. The shots are also good for racking up damage, whether it be from far away or close up.
  • Sniper: The Sniper Rifle is the slowest weapon in the entire game, but it has excellent kill potential, as the projectiles are akin to that of the Staff, but with higher damage and more knockback and minus the damage scaling.
  • Spy: The Revolver is the only weapon to technically not be a primary, but is still a part of Spy’s kit regardless. The weapon is a great way of keeping enemies away and does some fairly decent damage on its own.
Side B: Showdown: The Heavy makes a finger gun holstered at his side and pauses for a bit before jolting it upwards and shouting, “POW!” The move is heavily telegraphed, but reaches about as far as Joker’s Gun and is great for racking up damage or KO’ing opponents.

Up B: Thermal Thruster: The Pyro will grab the Heavy and boost him upwards with its signature jetpack, the Thermal Thruster. The blast from the Thermal Thruster has a powerful windbox that can be used to gimp opponents. The vertical range of this move, however, isn’t that good.

Down B: Team Time: The class active will use a part of their kit to buff the player in some way at the cost of a cooldown. No other buff can be used if one is in effect.
  • Scout: BONK! Atomic Punch is a soda can that gives Heavy temporary invincibility for 8 seconds. When the effect wears off, the Heavy’s speed will be reduced, leaving him open to attacks. While the Heavy is invincible, attacks using guns are not available until the effect wears off.
  • Soldier: The Buff Banner is a secondary weapon of Soldier’s that he can use to increase Heavy’s attacks. The effect lasts for 10 seconds, but the cooldown is different: Heavy must deal 75% damage to the opponent before he can use the Buff Banner again.
  • Pyro: The Gas Passer is a giant gas can that Pyro can throw at the opponent. When this hits the ground, a large cloud of gas will appear and anyone who traverses it will be covered in gasoline for 10 seconds. Any damage they take will trigger a DoT effect that lasts for 10 seconds. The Heavy must deal 75% damage before he can use the Gas Passer again.
  • Demoman: The Chargin’ Targe is a shield in which Demoman will charge forward at blinding speeds. If Demoman hits an opponent, they will be dealt some minor damage, but they will suffer from amazing knockback from the move. The move takes 14 seconds to recharge.
  • Heavy: The Sandvich is a delicious little thing that allows Heavy to heal himself upon consumption. He devours it if the player taps the button and drops it if the player holds the button, however the healing effect isn’t as drastic and opponents can pick it up as well.
  • Engineer: The Sentry is a spacing tool that attacks any opponent in range. The sentry will upgrade when it deals a certain amount of damage, with Level 3 being the highest one, in which it will also fire rockets. However, the Sentry can be destroyed from a distance and the Level 3’s rockets can be reflected.
  • Medic: The Medigun is a quintessential tool of the Medic that periodically heals the Heavy overtime. The HoT is very strong, but Medic can be knocked out of it, stopping the healing.
  • Sniper: The Jarate is a jar of urine that covers opponents in it. When Sniper throws it, it will burst in a cloud of piss and inflict anyone with piss, in which they will take more damage than normal.
  • Spy: The Invis Watch is a tool of the Spy that allows the Heavy to turn invisible. The Heavy will be invisible for 10 seconds before the effect wears off. The recharge time is, at most, 2 seconds. Should the Heavy attack out of invisibility, the attack that lands will deal increased damage, but at the cost of ending invisibility early.
Final Smash: Payload Delivery: The Heavy smashes a payload cart in front of himself and bolts forwards. If it hits, a cutscene is shown: Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Sniper and Spy will collectively barrage the opponent(s) with their respective attacks before Demoman knocks them into ‘The Final Terminus’, in which Heavy pushes the cart in and watches it blow up while the team stands side-by-side.

Animations:

Intro: The Heavy walks on-stage, passing by a metal cabinet before entering his stance.

Idle Animation: The Heavy examines his minigun for a bit.

Taunt #1: The Heavy cradles his Minigun and says, “We make good team,” “You did well,” or “Kiss me,” before reverting back to his original stance.

Taunt #2: The Heavy does a flurry of uppercuts as the sound of a match bell ringing is heard in the background. This has an upwards hitbox, and can deal damage similarly to Luigi.

Taunt #3: The Heavy will perform the Kazotsky Kick. This is a continuous taunt that the Heavy can move about in, and is the first taunt that other players can join in on. The Heavy can cancel out of the Kazotsky Kick by dodging, shielding or attacking. Sometimes, even a fellow Merc can join him.

Victory Theme: The victory theme in TF2, minus the applause and Administrator’s voice.

Victory Animation #1: All opponents that lost are running away in fear as the Mercs are all chasing them with critical weapons.

Victory Animation #2: All the Mercs are grouped together, laughing at the losing players in a condescending manner.

Victory Animation #3: The Mercs capture a point in their colors, and they all break out in celebration.

With this, I wanted the entire team to be involved while still putting the Heavy in the spotlight. The thing about TF2 is the importance of every role in a typical game of TF2, and I wanted to represent that in some way. Admittedly some of the mechanics don't make sense in the context of TF2, but I digress.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Thing is about that moveset, it doesn't have flow, its made just to be referencing every TF2 member, animation wise, it'd be jarring to switch between such differently sized characters for a single move like a tilt. Even game and watch stays in a similar size and shape on his attacks.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thing is about that moveset, it doesn't have flow, its made just to be referencing every TF2 member, animation wise, it'd be jarring to switch between such differently sized characters for a single move like a tilt. Even game and watch stays in a similar size and shape on his attacks.
I’m not saying that you switch between them. You only control the Heavy, but you can summon other members to fight alongside you. Sorry for not being clear.

For example, Up-Smash would have Heavy call up Demoman to use the Loose Cannon.

Last edited:

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I’m not saying that you switch between them. You only control the Heavy, but you can summon other members to fight alongside you. Sorry for not being clear.

For example, Up-Smash would have Heavy call up Demoman to use the Loose Cannon.
It'd still have the issue of being quite jarring, especially for any moves trying to be fast, plus at that point its not even really heavy thats doing the fighting. It's nice to have references but something as big as summoning another charatcer really should be saved for a special move. If joker doesn't summon a different persona on each attack then Heavy wouldn't be the entire team.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Found a rather recent Heavy moveset video that I am shocked hasn't been linked here yet(At least from what I have seen).
I don't exactly agree with everything here, but there are some neat ideas.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Found a rather recent Heavy moveset video that I am shocked hasn't been linked here yet(At least from what I have seen).
I don't exactly agree with everything here, but there are some neat ideas.
I thought about linking it when I saw it, but I forgot to do so. (I'm subscribed to the guy.)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If there is an supporters list, put me on it. Would love to see TF2 in Smash some day

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well it took more than half a year but we finally got an update for TF2. Granted its just summer 2019 cosmetics but I'll gladly take that over more winter 2018 crate drops.

Oh and the Ricardo hat is now an actual thing in-game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
And thus we're finally free from the tyranny of the Winter 2018 Cosmetic Case. I thought I'd never live to see the day those stop dropping :laugh:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Fully support!
PD: Classic Heavy as alt custome would be cool too

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I can't even open my crates anymore because of a law in Belgium. I'm stuck with 30 of them. :ohwell:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I think gabe saying yes with Heavy,Gordon,and Chell to be smash will have people give valve characters support for smash.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This gives me a lot of confidence that this could actually happen one day, if the visible demand for Heavy keeps increasing like it has. I think the biggest obstacle right now would be that TF2 is definitely not popular in Japan to my knowledge, though pure fan demand has been enough to supplant regional popularity in the past :ultridley:
And because I feel like I have to mention it, how 'bout that Crate Depression? :seuss:

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This gives me a lot of confidence that this could actually happen one day, if the visible demand for Heavy keeps increasing like it has. I think the biggest obstacle right now would definitely be that TF2 is definitely not popular in Japan to my knowledge, though pure fan demand has been enough to supplant regional popularity in the past :ultridley:
It's kinda bizarre how Heavy seems to be this rising pick when it comes to popularity. He isn't exactly top tier in that regard, but he is certainly not a super obscure character in this regard.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Issue is now is convincing people to put this character thats not even been close to Nintendo onto Nintendo, it's not a rule but people love to cling to stuff like Persona Q and KH GBA and the "importance to nintendo", the upside being Sakurai doesn't care about console wars. I think this PC game suddenly interacting with Nintendo is MORE exciting though, its unique and unlike any other.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, watching the Hero Presentation made me think...

What if Heavy got random crits?:smirk:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, they are "fair and balanced", after all. :)
I am glad others are seeing the potential in this.

But seriously, the top comment for the Hero video right now is...
User_594:
"Sakurai: The hero will have Random critical hits

Team Fortress 2 players: [Heavy breathing]"

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Heavy should be the only character who can recover a significant amount of health though the sandvich but it should take just as long to eat as it does in TF2.

That way you need to time it just right to get the benefit

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Have you guys seen the video “How it FEELS to Play Heavy” by LazyPurple?

Because in the video, he says that Heavy’s about punishing over-confident or unprepared enemies. What kind of characters have that kind of playstyle in Smash, and do you think such a playstyle suits Heavy?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, how well do you guys think Valve handled the TF2 Depression of 2019? People seem to be mostly pleased.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I honestly think they handled it about as well as they could have. No significant damage to the economy, players get to keep their hats, it's a win-win.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Not gonna lie, I unironically would love to see Heavy (or any other TF2 character) in Smash. Though I have never played the game, I have seen plenty of TF2 related G-Mod and SFM videos for years to became attached to the TF2 crew. They have made an impact on the Internet for about the last 10-11 years that no one can forget. I support the Heavy.

Plus who can ever forget this treasured video?

Minik

Smash Journeyman
After playing Hero some bit and thinking about previously mentioned Spy idea, it'd be neat if Spy had a move that straight up turned him invisible for a bit that could be cancelled with a single attack, it would even have its recharge meter on the HUD from TF2 to balance it out. Hocus Pocus let me saw the potential of what fun could be had of straight up being invisible for a bit and Spy is PERFECT for it. I know this isn't directly Heavy related but I think its better to just unite this as a TF2 for smash kinda thread.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm all for it. Only ever played TF2 on 360 but I've watched so much GMOD and SFM that how can I say no to TF2 being in anything.

Last edited:

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I’m back everyone, the backing for this thread was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Heavy is being rated in the Rate Their Chances thread, come show your support. Just remember to give at least a short explanation for Chance and want.

;)

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
Heavy is being rated in the Rate Their Chances thread, come show your support. Just remember to give at least a short explanation for Chance and want.

;)
DK rap: and about time too!

https://discord.gg/zpnuwDU
We have a discord

The old thread owner hasn't been active in some time, so I merged a couple of threads and gave you the first post/restored your original post @Some Beedrill

I'd completely love/support this, btw. The fact that 2Fort is one of the most common custom stage ideas I see makes me want to believe it's not just a pipe dream.
Yo can I get ownership back plz?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm more of a Pyro main, but the Heavy would be a fun character to include.

Top Bottom