• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction Time - Smashers numbers.

Heleno

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helenopaiva
3DS FC
4914-4744-1262
Greetings.
Reaction Time is a tool to mental chronometry. it is quite important to players of digital games since the faster you reply to your given circumstances, the better chances you would have. Speed is key.
In the human beings this is quite a complicated task (try the spoiler if you want to have a glimpse of the pathway...) since we have a lot of steps to account for...
The light must enter our eyballs, reach the back of the eye, the retina, where it'll be converted into electrical information. This information will then travel all the way to the back of the brain into the occipital region where vision is processed. Then the brain will think, elaborate a complex response and prompt to move - it'll start at the pre-motor area, just to the sides of the brain (righ side for left hand, left side for right hand), and them the impulse will be approved by the motor area, and then it'll descend thru the Internal Capsule to the Brainstem, not without a little bit of verification by the cerebellum... then it'll travel to the Spinal Cord, and about the height of the neck, it'll go thru the nerves of the arm, until the very tip of the finger, where the nerve will prompt the release of chemicals in the neuromuscular junction that will make the various groups of muscles twitch into the desired movement.
(ok - don't quote me on that- it's been over a decade since i studied neuroanatomy... i might have forgotten already several steps... but i'm pretty sure the basics is as i wrote.)
It is quite a very complex stuff, and it all happens surprisingly fast once you understand how precise it is!
don't mess around and mix this stuff with arch-reflexes - when you touch a hot iron and your leg or arm jolts away from it - this sensory information and movement does not even reach the brain - it is all commanded by the spinal cord itself.

...And then you move. The human reaction time is somewhere between 200 and 300 mileseconds. auditory stimuli often trigger faster responses. professional athletes can have up to 170-190ms response time, and less than 0,1% of these atheletes have a Reaction Time of around 110ms
Since Smash for WiiU runs on 60FPS, we can say that the average human player will react within 12 to 18 Frames! (a professional athlete could reach 7 Frames in the best case scenario!)
The objective of this thread is:
1. To try and find out the reaction time of our users (which is definitely a biased population! nice!)
2. To try and guess what could be done to enhance this precious response.

How to do it:
there is this website here that allows you to rapdily measure your response time. i found it way easier to use on the mobile (iPhone 6) but the creators of the website stated that perhaps mobiles introduce a minimal delay to their computing and therefore the speeds may be up to 30ms slower on mobiles... on my experience i managed to have faster times with the mobile.
this is the website:
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime - Human Benchmark: Reaction time
These are the steps we need:
  1. Click the link and open that website.
  2. Perform a train of 5 tests as the website recommends.
  3. Past below in the comments your result, don't forget to specify your age and gender as well!
Simple, eh?
if you guys would post below your reaction times (it ponders 5 consecutives tests and returns an average) we could compile a curve showing in witch percentile each player stands. it could be a nice tool, specially if we could demonstrate that pro-players have better reaction time that amateurs.
As of my second objective, to try and find means to improve reaction time, i'll dig a bit deeper into that before i can give any significant answer.
Just a little advice if you have a bad time: remember that reacting is not hte most important part of the game. it is now widely recognised that the LVL9 CPU has absolute reaction time (0ms) and it doesn't prevent the computer from being easily bodied by even the below-average player (like myself).
Also: this tool we are using perhaps has a lot of problems - and maybe our reaction time is not the one that shows when you do it - but as a method, it is easy to use, and can be used to compare ourselves without much heavy work. If i could conduct a serious study on this subject i would do it in a whole different setting: monitoring oxigen consumption, EEG, heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature. i would test subjects with a jansen machine, and would try out exams before and after caffeine and before and after several smash match-ups. now - that would be a cool study! -but not very practical to conduct.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
280 ms
Female

I actually have a legitimate problem with reaction time. :I However I think Smash has helped.

Heleno

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helenopaiva
3DS FC
4914-4744-1262
oh - i forgot to mention myself:
272ms,
29 years
Male.
EDIT: after sleeping well at night and recovering significantly from a cold I had, I tried once again on iPhone, I closed all other apps, closed some tabs on safari. And managed to score 229ms.
One thing is quite interesting- on my Sony Xperia z3 compact mobile (that actually has more ram than the iPhone) I can't get anything lower than 300!!
P.S.: please: don't try to mind game the test. It can be performed, and it doesn't make any sense at all to our testing. With mind gaming I managed to get 43 and 38ms. But these numbers are lies. Don't fool yourself. The important thing here is to try and improve your time of reaction and therefore your counter-attacks and defensive game.

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Male

I really figured it would be faster. I wonder what M2K would score?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Laptop touchpads suck for this...

Score: 739ms

A "generic" wireless mouse probably doesn't help.

Score: 268ms

Should I also mention how my right hand is probably screwed up from tendinitis and constant knuckle cracking? Should probably stop doing that... I can literally feel a difference between how my right hand muscles move and left hand muscles move...

Left hand score and still with a wireless mouse: 252ms.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Score: 319ms
Using a wireless mouse
Dang. I might have a problem lol.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
248ms
Male

Using a wireless mouse, this was also the lowest score I got (not sure how much lag my monitors have, but I could consistently get 248 on one of them so...)

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
218ms
Male

Muh Captain Falcon.

Doval

Smash Lord
Monitor lag kinda skews these results I guess.
Monitors generally aren't laggy by more than one frame (~17 ms). Having ~10 frames of reaction time is what allows fighting games to work at all - it turns them into a game of incomplete information and forces reads.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai

Didn't get a good feel for it until the 5th try but yeah. This is what I got on my first attempt. I figure it'd consistently be below .2 in a actual application.

Edit: Just scored 97 ms on my 7th try. 6 frame reaction time anyone?

Single best so far:

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

Didn't get a good feel for it until the 5th try but yeah. This is what I got on my first attempt. I figure it'd consistently be below .2 in a actual application.

Edit: Just scored 97 ms on my 7th try. 6 frame reaction time anyone?

Single best so far:
Ill take shenanigans for 300 Trebek.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
202ms
Colorblind johns?

I think it's really interesting how there is this massive disparity between percentiles between just one frame of time. The difference in percentile from that to the teens is like 20 percent or so.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
26 years old
Male
Left handed

Left thumb on mobile: 355
Right thumb on mobile: 347

Tapping straight down with phone resting on fingers. Phone is an HTC One M8. It does have lag issues with some things but I'm not thinking they affected my results.

Heleno, I don't have any formal background in neurology or anything like that, but I am very interested in it as well as dedicated to exploring self improvement strategies for all aspects of life (and with those scores, I definitely need it for Smash, hah. No wonder I play Charizard. I'm basically all reads). I've got some variables in mind I want to test tonight and I'll update my post with them as I get the results. And feel free to PM me if you're interested in working together on this or want to discuss experimental setups, strategies for improvement, and results in depth without cluttering up the thread.

I'm wondering if who you main affects your reaction time; or rather, how much it impacts it.

Villager doesnt demand a particularly low reaction time to be played effectively, since her playstyle generally revolves around Lloid traps and option restrictions.

On the other hand Gawain has a far lower reaction time than I do and I can see how playing Falcon would be involved.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
I'm wondering if who you main affects your reaction time; or rather, how much it impacts it.

Villager doesnt demand a particularly low reaction time to be played effectively, since her playstyle generally revolves around Lloid traps and option restrictions.

On the other hand Gawain has a far lower reaction time than I do and I can see how playing Falcon would be involved.
I find that my reaction time influences who i main, not the other way around. I go with heavies a lot because I can do Zard's moves close to optimally. Faster characters reward low reaction time much more, so with bad reaction time, I can't use them effectively. But now you're making me want to lab it up with a quick character to find out if a) I can even use them at a reasonable level, and b) if dedicating myself to improving with one will show improvement in my reaction time.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Average 249ms, 24 year old male.
Tested on PC with mouse.

And with the exception of a handful of fast characters I've played for years, I do find I generally play better than most of my friends when using slow read-heavy characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom