• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reaction Fun!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hello friends.

There was a popular thread on here that started after the direct. It involved the reactions you had to K. Rool over Konfirmation. I know I was screaming the entire direct- from the way they handled Metroid so beautifully, to when they showed the Klaptrap and my heart jumped into anticipation. And then the heavy steps shook the screen, and I got so emotionally fixated.

Anyway, it seems every thread that was kreated in the K Rool sub forum within the hour after the direct, was destroyed. (I would love if a mod would explain what happened to them).
What were your reactions!?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I thought it was funny. Dedede is too great.

Honestly, K. Rool coming didn't surprise me that much because of Ridley. When I realized it was Ridley two months ago, I literally screamed "oh my god". This time I was just really smiling or laughing the whole time. Just like Ridley's trailer was creepy and moody, fitting for Metroid, the K. Rool trailer was a beautiful and funny, very fitting for DKC.

Also, when I saw K. Rool using the helicopter backpack thing from DKC3 was so happy. DKC3 is SO good and it doesn't get enough love.

StormC

Smash Hero
I cried and my hands were shaking so hard it was difficult to type. I still tear up sometimes rewatching the trailer.

The moment Brawl came out, K. Rool became my most wanted Smash newcomer. After his removal from the DK series, this only intensified. After so much work and voting and arguing... he's here. And he will never leave us again.

I'm a huge DK fan. Been playing the series for over 20 years. The fact that its main villain got left out because of company politics was so frustrating.

Everything about this game is amazing. Sakurai is making all the right choices. He's truly a changed man.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I thought the first screen shake was me imagining things in misplaced hope.

Then the second screen shake happened and he popped into my mind. I realized there was a chance it was him.

Then the rival slideshow played. I started saying "NO, NO, NO, NO!" out of a feeling I was setting myself up for disappoint when it was someone else or that I might just outright be dreaming.

Then DK face came on to the screen and I teared up a little.

Then I saw him and everything about him was perfect.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
When the screen shaking started, my thoughts were basically pure confusion. "wait what's going on what is this".
When the trailer properly started, I still was wondering who it was going to be.
Then it cut to Donkey Kong yawning, then I knew.

Dedede's fake out... would've made me laugh, if I still wasn't reeling from the Ashley disconfirmation.

Honestly, as great as the trailer was (I think it's one of the best newcomer trailers), I still felt pretty down due to Ashley unfortunately.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Was watching it with my friend over discord and I noticed the shaking right away and was like "Oh damn, son, here it comes!!!"

Lost my mind so hard at the reveal that I woke my fiancee who was sleeping two rooms over.

I love heavyweight characters so much and KRool has deserved it for so long.

Still can't even believe he's in the game...

StormC

Smash Hero
I definitely thought I hallucinated the first screen shake. I was seriously worried beforehand if there might not be a trailer to close out the Direct.

When the second shake happened, I was like "no way..."

When I saw the villain montage, I knew. I knew beyond reasonable doubt. I didn't even need to see DK's mouth to confirm it. Was not worried at all during the Dedede fakeout. I knew Sakurai was having his fun - and being faithful to K. Rool's character - before the real deal.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Is this the thread where we summarize our reaction? Here goes...

The night before E3, my hopes (although I didn't expect him anyway) were kind of dashed after the music leak basically revealed Simon early. I thought he was most likely going to be the only newcomer announced. And at first he was, but then Richter, Chrom, and Dark Samus made for an entertaining Direct that I could be satisfied with. Until, of course...

I noticed the first shake immediately, but wasn't 100% sure until the second one. Perhaps it was wishful thinking, but my mind immediately went to K. Rool. I saw a couple other people in reaction videos had similar thoughts. Then, we got the villains/rivals being shown one after another, and this intensified K. Rool in my mind, but I was living by the motto "don't celebrate until you see the splash screen."

Then we saw DK's big mouth yawning, and I made an incredibly loud gasp. My mind started racing, could it really be? Despite everything seemingly in his favor, he was MIA for over a decade. And I had spent the past two months since E3 speculating about K. Rool in Ultimate, mentally wavering between pessimism and cautious optimism. And then... King Dedede. Obviously, I knew this was 99.99% just a joke and the real one was about to show up, but I'd be lying if I said those weren't a tense few seconds. But then our obese crocodile king appeared, and it was oh so glorious.

I popped off harder than I ever had before, the only one even coming remotely close to it was Ridley. I watched the rest of the trailer in awe, then proceeded to spend the rest of the day basking in the hype - rewatching the trailer, watching his 20 second fighter video, reading the K. Rool support thread, watching YouTube/Twitch reaction videos, and so on.

Was a great day, and the only character left I can imagine having that same level of excitement and catharsis would be Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not holding my breath, at least for the base roster, but I am far and away satisfied after E3 and this Direct. Since I never played Super Sluggers, Barrel Blast, or King of Swing's multiplayer, I look forward to playing as King K for the first time ever in December. Along with Ridley. And all the veterans. This is one hell of a roster.

Last edited:

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I was so nervous the night before I could barely sleep. Then I saw the direct. I was happy to see Simon, he's earned his place.

Then my heart sank because Vergeben.

But then Simon's awesome moveset brought a smile back to my face. Richter's cool too, I'll take them both for a spin sometime.

Then Chrom and Dark Samus showed up. Legit happy to see both of them. They rock. And Chrom deserved it after getting a brutal shaft in Smash 4.

Near the end of the direct my expectations were very low. The leaks were real.

Then the freakin' screen shook. I was like, in denial at first.

Same when I saw the Rivals collage.

DK's mouth is then seen. My heart started to beat fast. I was literally like "PLEASE be King K. Rool!". I got a good laugh out of Dedede's fakeout.

I shouted YES! when K. Rool, my most wanted newcomer, was revealed! Best newcomer reveal trailer EVER.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I was at work when watching the video.
in the breakroom.

when I saw dedede I shouted: "oh hell no, you get the **** OUTTA HERE!" *k. rool jumps in* "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOI! WHERE YOU BEEN!? GET IN THERE! GET IN THAT GAME RIGHT NOW! HURRY! GETINTHATGAMERIGHTNOW" *sees actual footage* "aww yes, THIS is what the kids like!"

needless to say everyone started laughing at my tongue-hanging-from-my-mouth face. lol

I immediately remembered of all of you guys and thought: "they're gonna be so happy TuT"

after the video ended, a few of my co-workers came up to me and said "are you alright dude?" to which I replied, holding my phone close to my chest, "...there truly IS good in this world"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't say anything. I wouldn't to hear what the King Masahiro Sakurai said, I saw Nintendo Life's post. I cried I rushed watched, the Direct, and cried and smiled, like an idiot. Honestly one of the coolest and best, things that's ever happened for me. So glad King K. Rool is in still on cloud nine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
When the screen started shaking, I thought "I knew it, I knew they'd finish it with another newcomer trailer!", then the rivals reel and I thought "Wow, the Heroes vs Villains theme leak was true?", and then DK appeared and I knew it. I didn't get too excited since I've never really supported K. Rool much myself, but I was happy for all the people who've been requesting him for over a decade. I'm glad you guys got your character, you deserve this victory.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Guess it is my turn.

Near the end of the Direct, before the trailer, I was getting ready to wait for another day for our king to be revealed, and then I heard loud footsteps. With that, I figured another trailer was coming, and it might be for K. Rool. So I started watching the trailer, and when what seemed to be K. Rool came into the screen, I was like, "Oh my god, it's happening!" Then, it was revealed that it was just King Dedede. I knew that was a trolling move, and I knew the real deal would show up to do something to Dedede.

Then it happened.

King K. Rool came and attacked King Dedede, and then the title splash thing said "King K. Rool Comes Aboard!". I was so happy with what I saw, and watched the rest of the trailer, excited. December 7 can't come any sooner.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Here is my reaction. I went completely ballistic, I have never been so excited for anything in my entire life. SO EXCITED TO MAIN HIM!!!!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Seeing K. Rool added to the character banner at the end gave me chills. Seriously.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Here is my reaction. I went completely ballistic, I have never been so excited for anything in my entire life. SO EXCITED TO MAIN HIM!!!!

you cry like a little girl. LIKE ME WHEN I SAW K,ROOL ! luv this

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I was watching it with a friend and first we were joking about the camera shaking, thinking it was a legit mistake lol

Then, oh boy, the villains reel, I suddenly thought "King K Rool!" but quickly dismissed it as way to good to be real. The second I saw DK's mouth I just knew it was him, it couldn't be otherwise. Seeing Dedede just confirmed my fantasy. It was weird though because I wanted him so SO much that I just stood there speechless, in total disbelief, just trying to process all that was being shown in my mind. Later however I was so excited after the trailer I couldn't stand still for the rest of the day! That same day I rewatched it 30-40 times, no joke.

It was AWESOME. Best reveal, best trailer, best direct of all time!!!

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Was watching it with my friend over discord and I noticed the shaking right away and was like "Oh damn, son, here it comes!!!"

Lost my mind so hard at the reveal that I woke my fiancee who was sleeping two rooms over.

I love heavyweight characters so much and KRool has deserved it for so long.

Still can't even believe he's in the game...
Hello, I was that friend... ;P

In my case, I was all like "don't get too excited, Sakurai could troll us!" and I didn't even get excited until "King K Rool" comes aboard. That's when we both lost our collective minds!

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I posted this in the main thread, but wanted to put it on here too:

It's kind of bad quality as I have zero experience editing videos, but hopefully you enjoy it! :ultkrool:

If you want to jump to the K. Rool reveal go to 25:40!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been feeling tense for most of the morning, playing some Treasure Tracker to help occupy my attention. This tension lasted until I watched the Nintendo Life feed, increasing the window size so I could focus on nothing more than the Direct itself.

Then Simon's trailer came and I knew it would be him from the minute it started, though the anticipation of what he would look like was there. I was more pleasantly surprised when Richter came.

Once Chrom and DS came along, I was "Ah, of course, that makes sense".

It was good to see some new general DK stuff as well.

At the end, I expected one last reveal after Sakurai signed off, though the shaking is something I initially wrote off as a flub on the staff's part.

The Rivals montage left me a bit uncertain of what would come next, but the following DK buildup made it all clear. Then I laughed at Dedede's prank, but I knew Sakurai wouldn't be THAT cruel. Then the King came and I shook my fists saying "YES!". What a sight the punch at the end was.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Since K Rool was my most wanted newcomers since 15+ years (and i'm only 21), his announcement was crazy and is something that I will always remember.

When i saw the screen shaking i was like "huh ?", i refused to believe that it was him. And then i saw all the villains and at this moment, i knew it was him, I started to feel weird. It's like seeing the end of something you though was going to last forever. At the very moment i saw Donkey Kong, that was confirmed, King K Rool was in Super Smash Bros.

I couldn't resist, i started to have my eyes wet, that was just natural, i was so happy, it was just unreal. The Dedede's prank had clearly no effect on me (i though it was hilarious the second time i watched the trailer), i was just thinking about K Rool. And then he appeared, i had a big dumb smile and i shed some tears. It was so crazy to see him in game that I had some kind of "deja-vu" feeling.

At the end of the trailer, i was silent, i couldn't say anything, something i wanted for more than 3/4 of my life finally happened. Even today it's still hard to realize how wonderful this is. I watch the trailer every day, this is still awesome.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
When the screen shaking started, my thoughts were basically pure confusion. "wait what's going on what is this".
When the trailer properly started, I still was wondering who it was going to be.
Then it cut to Donkey Kong yawning, then I knew.

Dedede's fake out... would've made me laugh, if I still wasn't reeling from the Ashley disconfirmation.

Honestly, as great as the trailer was (I think it's one of the best newcomer trailers), I still felt pretty down due to Ashley unfortunately.
That’s quite a bummer, to let one character being confirmed as an Assist to take away from something so special. Of course everyone has different desires, and fandom making any equivocations are usually untrue, but that’s rough to be so impacted as to miss out on the fun for the King. It was a revolutionary moment for myself and so many.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I ended up being spoiled by TV Tropes, but honestly, I've been wondering where K. Rool was. Given his description as a defensive character, I think I'm going to enjoy playing as him.

Top Bottom