• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Re-modelling of the Smash UK Scene

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
Hey everyone.

After the current progress made within the general smash scene a few of us have been talking about ways which can help re-model and re-shape the UK smash scene to make it look more vibrant, more appealing and more epic. I made a document with thoughts I had about the scene and ways we could change it and discussed it with G-P, Jolteon, Alpha Dash & Professor Pro (who at the time of me making the document seemed like the frontrunners of our scene at the moment - shoutouts to the come back of Kone).

The document touched on points such as:
- The YouTube Channels
- The Twitch Channels
- Tournament frequency & structure
- Improving the community average

One thing we agreed on is that this community works better when the individual games work together as one (probably because on the grand scale our scene is small). With this in mind we decided to combine the YouTube Channels & Twitch Channels in to one main UK SMASH channel. When it comes to the twitch channel we may create 2 so that if we have a venue or a chance to where we have the ability to run more than one stream it can be done (eliminates arguments about stream time for each game).

One main point I made is coming up with a universal interface/trail which would make it obvious that you are dealing with/in the domain of the SmashUK scene. What I mean by this and the whole point of the this thread right now is I am looking at the creative to use spare time to come up with this stuff.

What we are looking for:
- VGBC style professionalism in presentation
- Logo's to be used across all social media, YouTube, streams etc.
- Banners to be used across all social media, YouTube, streams etc.
- YouTube thumbnails which are easily edited for video uploads.
- Anything else which is suggested in terms of branding us as THE SMASH UK SCENE.

A lot of players in this community have great creative skills with stuff like this so this is why I open the works to you guys. We want 2014 to beginning of the NEW and IMPROVED SMASH UK. So let us know what you think and lets see come content.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Good stuff JJL, As I posted in our initial chat, We have a logo that just...doesn't really get used, If we can begin to put it on everything then it would be good:

HalfBakedHarry

Smash Rookie
I've got nothing to contribute here, but to say thankyou for being dedicated to improving the community. Since the Smash Doc, Evo 2013, Smash 4, and Project M's popularity there has been an increase in new players (Including myself) wanting to be involved. I wish I knew how to use Photoshop to help you out but the programs I use don't allow for invisible backgrounds which is what you'd need for logo's & banners but I'll see what I can do with what I have - don't count on me though haha.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
My 10,000th posts on smashboards I am using in this thread to say....I agree with all of this.

I'm looking forward to helping out in the future on different tasks to help the scene.

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
I've got nothing to contribute here, but to say thankyou for being dedicated to improving the community. Since the Smash Doc, Evo 2013, Smash 4, and Project M's popularity there has been an increase in new players (Including myself) wanting to be involved. I wish I knew how to use Photoshop to help you out but the programs I use don't allow for invisible backgrounds which is what you'd need for logo's & banners but I'll see what I can do with what I have - don't count on me though haha.

Cheers mate

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I've already got a pc ill be bringing to tournaments which can easily stream in HD 1080p witwh 2 hd webcams

I just need to get 2 broadcaster headsets which are around £150-250 each which can be done through donation drive

Late January we will start doing weeklies/bi-weeklies

Either at HOG, Croydon or another venue

we got a youtube already which I think is adequate but everyone wants to use their own personal twitch channels its gonna be hard to stop that :(

Kone

Smash Master
Good stuff jjlinyard. Ive been chatting to tom (is that g-p lol?!) and sketel (sam - formally smo, midlands player) about ideas ive had/they have had about making the scene more prominent (which i think tom has discussed with you).Ive suggested, to tom, we create a facebook group of the leading hosts/prominent members of the community to expand/share these ideas. Lets get this done asap to sort ideas out and collaborate on them before making them all public i.e. we are pulling in the same direction and co-ordinating our manpower rather than working against each other (especially in terms of scheduling tournaments and so on). I really like the ideas you have posted. Ive mentioned the need for branding before and completely agree :)

Ps ill be hosting edentines day feb 15th, edster in april and a large two day event in august at the sny venue. Edentines and edster will be at a bunkhouse with twenty available beds :). Hosts please avoid these dates (ill announce dates for edster and august tournament asap).

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
@Fuzzy did you read any of the FB convo I put you in which had the document made? Me, Tom, Alex and Dujuan were discussing things in there. We are using the melee YouTube channel for everything now and created a universal one for twitch to stream for tournaments and big smashfests. Obviously we talked about your channel as it is used mainly at the moment but the general consensus was that we needed the UK to have its own separate channel which isn't already branded as someone else's channel. But good **** about the bi-weeklies although HOG's venue fee is pretty high.

@Kone yeah he was telling me stuff but that is a great idea making that facebook group deffo need to get that done. Have you read the document I made and G-P edited and put his thoughts on?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Saw your thread on the art emporium
It's hard to do stuff for no pay due to school and paying rent and all that (and time....so much time i dont have), but i can at least offer help to any of the designer(s) you choose from smashboards if they need critiques, feedback, or even resources.

shakey

Smash Rookie
I would really really love to get more people at Essex. I have so many friends who could do with that little push to be further inspired. I generally **** them but not with the finesse/tech skill i wished. It makes so much difference watching a high caliber game live. English travel is expensive, but i would like to make an open invitation on behalf of everyone at Essex university that one and all are welcome at my house during term time. I'm really hyped for beast and having wanted to play smash competitively for the last five years im really excited to get to know all of you better. If rhere's anything i can do to further the scene please let me know

Kone

Smash Master
Meh, personally couldnt give a **** about insomnia. Real nice for the very few top players like yourself charles who now crave that arena but i very suspect about the benefit to the rest of the community. If you are happy to risk its success, and thus the benefit to the community, then ill not host in august. Although, i know i am right ;) so will be hosting lol. Venue with 64 beds and smash only=win.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Aren't the weeklies/bi weeklies at HOG going to be free? £8 once a month is fair enough but otherwise we might as well just stick to smash fests...

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
Has the Twitch channel for SmashUK been created yet? And I like that banner I saw, but facebook.com/smashuk I don't think is correct? I think it's something like facebook.com/groups/smashuk? Cant really remember off the top of my head.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Yeah I made the Twitch. Also, I think the /SmashUK is just referring to the FB group name, if you look none of them are URLs.

Kone

Smash Master
I am looking to sort out a streaming setup. Could people link me what capture device i need, headphones, leads and webcams?! Would appreciate it :)

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
I don't know the actual stuff you need but it depends what quality you are looking for..... personally I wanna start doing my own streaming thing like VGBootcamp does but for Europe but stream setups of that quality cost at least a grand.

I would ask either fuzzyness, jolteon or sinth as they have been the streamers of the UK.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Oh ****, I've been stuck at the parents house all week so i haven't been able to be on here. Oops.
My 10,000th posts on smashboards I am using in this thread to say....I agree with all of this.

I'm looking forward to helping out in the future on different tasks to help the scene.
If you wanna help man...damnit reply to my facebook messages and give me your top15 in the UK for melee/P:M. I need it to finalise the document containing the points system! :D

I would really really love to get more people at Essex. I have so many friends who could do with that little push to be further inspired. I generally **** them but not with the finesse/tech skill i wished. It makes so much difference watching a high caliber game live. English travel is expensive, but i would like to make an open invitation on behalf of everyone at Essex university that one and all are welcome at my house during term time. I'm really hyped for beast and having wanted to play smash competitively for the last five years im really excited to get to know all of you better. If rhere's anything i can do to further the scene please let me know
I like this, What game do you play?
Also, if you havent seen already (I really need to make a smashboards event for SweetSpot) there is a tournament in cambridge in late january that I really want to go well. if everyone can attend it, that would be amazing!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1483938855165393/

Also, Essex vs. Cambridge/Norfolk. Reckon this could become a thing? good for overall improvement i feel.

Aren't the weeklies/bi weeklies at HOG going to be free? £8 once a month is fair enough but otherwise we might as well just stick to smash fests...

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
I will advertise this as much as possible but the announcements we have is what should get people hyped need to get that done for the end of the year man.

Also shakey plays melee (there is no brawl community in Essex) :)

MudkipHunter

Smash Rookie
Hi All

I used to play melee a couple of years ago in Southampton and hosted a tournament called Phantom Hits.

Are there any South london/Surrey smashers playing? I'm playing with a mate occasionally at the moment but would like to play other people.

I also have my own house now so could host some fests in Epsom.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Hi All

I used to play melee a couple of years ago in Southampton and hosted a tournament called Phantom Hits.

Are there any South london/Surrey smashers playing? I'm playing with a mate occasionally at the moment but would like to play other people.

I also have my own house now so could host some fests in Epsom.
Yeah there's a bunch, just check the facebook page for a quick list of who lives where: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashUK/

Actually, theres a bunch of tournaments going on in southampton soon: https://www.facebook.com/events/1431288590435267/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

Andy

Smash Rookie
Just thought i'd pop by and say its a really good idea.

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
Great to see this, after evo like others I want to get back into smash so this is awesome, would love to see the scene thrive. Only been to 2 tourneys in the past but hoping to attend more this year.

Top Bottom