• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Re-discussing a ledge grab limit

gravy

Smash Ace
After seeing the performance of M2k at the last two SmashAcre tournaments against Hax, I think that it is reasonable to evaluate and discuss the reasoning behind choosing whether or not to institute a ledge grab limit.

I believe that in order to determine whether a ledge grab limit is needed, we must agree on a concise definition of a tactic that is worthy of restrictions. With that in mind, I will be attempting to influence all feedback towards that particular topic until I feel satisfied we have come to a reasonable decision.

With this in mind, I will attempt to come up with a definition on my own, and I will be free to adjust it as needed. The first definition, and the most basic of all, is a tactic that gives too much of an advantage to a competitor. In order to elucidate on this definition, we have to make some points. One could argue that simply becoming skilled at the game and using an advanced understanding of the game against their opponent would fit this definition. In order to accommodate skill, the definition must be altered. Although I am certainly not perfect, and this is very early in development, perhaps the definition must become something closer to "a tactic that, when used correctly, can be exploited to defeat a similarly skilled opponent in a vast majority of competitions." Although I do think there is much room for improvement in this definition, I think there are a few aspects of it that have merit. The most important concepts to focus on are the ability to emerge victorious a vast majority of time, meaning that it would become so rare for the other competitor to win that it becomes negligible. After all, the goal of defining this is to find the point that something becomes truly unfair. I think that a situation in which a similarly skilled opponent can not be expected to win satisfies the definition of unfair.

With all I've said, I'd like to describe a scenario in which this restriction could have been used in the interest of fairness. Imagine that the tournament we are all waiting for, possible the most important tournament to be held for melee yet, has finally arrived. Imagine that Haxshows up, after training as hard as possible for months, and manages to earn his way into grand finals against M2k. For whatever reason, hax is finally able to defeat M2ks sheik, bringing it to the last game without dropping a single game to M2k. Not only is he heavily up in the set, but M2k is coming from losers and must win two sets in a row. Obviously, this is a far fetched situation, but that's besides the point. I truly believe that even in this situation, in a case where hax had clearly shown himself to be either a better player or simply to be playing better on that day, M2k could simply switch to jigglypuff, incorporate his ledgecamping technique, and Hax could not reasonably be expected to win. It is situations like this, where a mechanic can be used to gain an otherwise undeserved win, that I think we must strive to prevent as a community in the interest of the spirit of competition. If exploitations arise which are unbeatable by reasonable human standards, we will lose the interest of players who may be observing competitive melee for the first time on the Evo stage, and we will lose the core of active new players who are struggling to improve. Feel free to leave feedback and suggestions, and I will update this post to add new points risen in the comments.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I think you first have to ask if the strategy M2K used facilitates a limit. I mean...anyone with a projectile has a work around and M2K is the only who has used it. I doubt anyone at Evo would care to impose such a limit on M2K alone when they're allowing wobbling and more than that, encouraging it. There are plenty of infinites and camping strategies in other Fighting games and they don't impose such a limit, in fact some openly mock smash because of it's huge rule set (those same people probably ask for patches in their own game but whatever).

This strategy does favor jiggs heavily in the falcon MU...HBox can't figure out a way to beat beat Armada's YLink with jiggs and no one cried for him. they told him to change characters since it's one strategy that favors one match up and there's not enough proof yet that it is an unbeatable strategy because very few people on M2K's level have played against it Hax has only had a few tries and I'd be excited to see if he can come up with any sort of workaround before we add another rule and cry to Mr.Wizard about it.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The ledge isn't abused enough that players have spent time really figuring out how to punish it. It's not an unbeatable strategy. Hax was creating quite a few opportunities vs it throughout the set, but just wasn't getting the punishments due to it being a new problem for him to solve and him still figuring out what the right reactions should be. It might not be fun to watch if you're just watching M2K repeatedly perform his routine, but watching his opponent try to figure it out is extremely entertaining. Once the opponent is able to counter it consistently and quickly, the pace will be restored, while M2K will still get **** for playing like a dbag.

Insom

Smash Apprentice
I watched that match. And it is true that he ledge grabbed for about 4 minutes, but did you hear that f**king crowd? They were going bananas. They started a "USA!" chant.

Bones0

Smash Legend
"a tactic that, when used correctly, can be exploited to defeat a similarly skilled opponent in a vast majority of competitions."
So we're going to ban using top tiers vs. low tiers? That seems like a much more unbalanced scenario than a match between M2K and Hax seeing as how M2K is better on the ledge than any other player on the planet, and Hax has a very unorthodox view of how viable approaching in general is in Melee. It doesn't surprise me that a player who denounces approaching sucks at approaching the most gdlk ledge camper, and **** it. If Melee devolves into ledge camping, I'd rather just let the game die naturally than try to impose any arbitrary limits. LGLs clearly don't work in barlw. Players will always just camp just as much as is allowed, so the game goes from "camp the ledge to win" to "camp the ledge with as few ledge grabs as possible to win."

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
M2K really loves the ledge.

But since there is a time limit, the clock could run out, and by grabbing the ledge repeatedly isn't stalling, soo..

I like how rules in Smash are like novels of stuff and rules in other fighting games are like "play"

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I challenge anyone who wants a LGL to do what M2K does and not SD. I'm a scrub in regards to melee, but it is blatantly obvious to me that the level of skill needed to do what M2K does on the ledge is intangible. I see other people do similar things with Sheik and other characters and quite often, they SD. A comparison would be a PM match where M2K was Sheik and the crowd and stream was telling him to time someone out by ledge camping till the end with like 5 minutes left because it was dope. He SD'd about 30 seconds in. Unless the Meta game for melee evolves entirely in the path of ledge/invincibility frame abuse, I don't see why on Earth a ledge grab limit should be added unless you are talking something like 100. Just my 2 cents.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I think honestly the real purpose of this thread is ENTIRELY our image to the FGC, why else would EVO be mentioned lol. That said, osennecho is entirely right, the level of execution needed to be consistent on the ledge like that is very high in requirement. This makes me think of the metaknight ban situation, let's not jump to a conclusion before we learn to counter it...I think it's as simple as that. I mean, sure it's gay and gives a unfair advantage but **** yknow a lotta **** does. Until it becomes a consistent problem to the balance and progression of matches leave it alone, until then I guess people will have to learn counterpicks/alternate characters. It may not be fair to single char mains, but learning other characters is an eventuality of playing this game, it's just how it works.

Hax is a smart player, he'll figure something out, like the rest of us should. Like I said, until it's proven a gamebreaking mechanic halting the proper progression of a match then I say nay.

gravy

Smash Ace
Although I think that it's reasonable to say we should wait until it proves to be harmful to the metagame before we institute a limit, but I'm still curious as to when an exploitation becomes harmful enough to be worthy of being banned or limited.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
in this game?
never

and that should be seen as a good thing

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that would obviously be the TO's problem. the MBR recommended ruleset does not ban wobbling.

gravy

Smash Ace
Alright, it's obvious that I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad to see there were still reasonable responses.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
lol a ledge grab limit for m2k would be like telling Chris G he can only soul fist 30 times a match ..........its a lame tactic, yes but we just have to learn to work around it

gravy

Smash Ace
This was certainly not intended to solo out M2k, I probably should have left his name out of it.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I think anyone with an opinion of any merit respects him as a player so it is up to those who wish to debate this to eliminate the urge to use ad hominem and be ignorant.

You 're fine and it's not like m2k never got flack before (even though most the flack is uncalled for). Like, call it a lame style but it's viable and reasonable (i.e. chain grabbing)

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Its just unentertaining and causes views to drop lol. If hax took the 1st stock m2k couldnt ledge stall all day...personally i hate it

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I kind of find fighting M2K a unique experience BECAUSE of his edge bullcrap. Fighting him is so different than any other player. I don't think we should encourage the removal of style variety.

Also, I don't think it's broken or anything so there's that too.

I don't think what it does to the spectator is a big deal. Honestly, the punishment around the edge is arguably easier to understand and exaggerates Melee's uniqueness as a game while the footsies at the edge are easy to understand for someone who's never played Melee. Whether you played a 2D fighter or not, you can see that M2K's character is comfortable in the corner and has lost space onstage for weird super powers. I think that's actually sick tbh.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
M2K is drastically better at the ledge game than his opponents are at beating it.

There are a lot of ingame options that Hax hasn't even explored. He tries new things every time so I'm sure he'll get it eventually; Hax has been getting better and better at dealing with it imo.

The primary problem he had in that set though was the punishment disparity. M2K was comboing a lot harder than Hax, onstage and off, and that can't happen if Aziz wants to win.

Hax

Smash Champion
I believe that Sheik planking is gamebreaking when used against 6, potentially 8, characters. I’ll explain.

the following traits are relevant/important when dealing with Sheik and Jiggs planking in melee:
-having a fast downwards or diagonal-downwards projectile (Link, Y. Link, Sheik and Peach)
-having fast disjointed moves that hit below the ledge (Marth and Roy)
-being able to stay out of ledgehop fair range while being able to grab the ledge with one wavedash, not two. I will elaborate on this threshold soon
-having an up-b that allows you to grab the ledge quickly (Bowser, potentially Pikachu and Pichu)

the two traits that I bolded are the best ones to have. if you have an angled projectile or disjointed moves, then planking is not broken whatsoever vs your character, as you don’t even have to steal the ledge to beat it. nothing can possibly be gained by planking these 6 characters; they are the S tier at dealing with it. Bowser isn't as S tier at it as these 6, but he too can deal with planking with his up-b.

now, regarding the threshold I mentioned. here are the 26 characters’ wavedash distances sorted from longest to shortest, taken from M2K’s bible, and edited with my comments + sorting:

Blue = has the tools to defeat planking
Green = has a long enough wavedash to steal the ledge without any trouble
Pink = MAY have the tools to defeat planking. I am unsure
Red = has neither a long enough wavedash, nor tools to defeat planking. I believe planking is broken vs these characters

1) Luigi
2) Ice Climbers
3) Mewtwo
4) Marth
5) Yoshi
6) Roy
7-9) Dr. Mario / Mario / Mr. Game & Watch
10) Samus
11) Ness
12) Fox

these 12 characters have good enough wavedashes to steal the ledge pretty easily.

-------

13) Bowser
14) Falco
15) Young Link

this is where wavedash distance starts to become a problem. Bowser and Y. Link have other means of overcoming planking, though (whirling fortress, and projectiles respectively). Falco has to do a near-perfect wavedash to grab ledge while staying out of fair range, but it is possible. these 3 characters are still in the clear.

-------

16) Ganondorf
17) DK
18-19) Pikachu / Sheik
20-21) Captain Falcon / Kirby
22) Pichu
23) Jigglypuff
24) Link
25-26) Peach / Zelda

these 11 characters cannot grab the ledge with one wavedash while staying out of fair range. 3 of them have tools to defeat planking, which leaves 8. I am unsure as to whether or not planking is gamebreaking against Pikachu and Pichu. they are interesting because they possess both a diagonal-downwards projectile AND an up-b that can help them grab the ledge, however, I am pretty sure that both of these are too slow/easy for the planker to adapt to. I am certain that their neutral b projectile is too slow and wouldn't beat planking (especially for Pichu, since it damages him), but their up-b could work for stealing the ledge by going off-stage with the first boost, then diagonal-down onto the ledge with the second. this is very risky, however, as they die if the planker manages to regrab the ledge before the second boost. a pretty good example of just how low-risk, high-reward planking is, imo.

characters who possess neither a good enough wavedash nor the tools to deal with planking are: DK, C. Falcon, Ganondorf, Kirby, Zelda, and Jigglypuff. these 6 characters are the F tier when it comes to dealing with planking, and I firmly believe that planking is broken vs them.

phish-it

Smash Champion
M2K's bible is slightly off on the true friction values but it won't make much of a difference on if the character will grab the edge first. I agree on those 8 characters in being worse at countering planking in general but the opponent matters too. Say Ganondorf will have easier time dealing with Jigglypuff's planking than Falcon would, (longer range, floatier), spacing reverse up airs can overcome it. However against Sheik planking, both Falcon and Ganon have more or less the same trouble with it. Does Jigglypuff really have an easy time planking herself?

I feel like Jigglypuff's planking is easier to deal with for most characters than Sheik's. But as people have stated before, trying to stall a match with it leaves so much room for error which you could potentially die. Like, if you screw up attempting to get Sheik off the ledge you get hit by the up B, and potentially comboed off of it, but if you steal the edge from her you get a kill. If you screw up against Jigglypuff planking you probably get faired or bair but usually not much else, but if you manage to overcome it you pretty much hit her with an aerial.... and then she can go back to doing it again.

It's fortunate most people don't have the patience to abuse it.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
That was an interesting post by Hax. It made a lot of sense, but it only supported the theory of not banning planking. Comparing it to tiers is akin to saying ban all top tiers because they are broken vs Pichu and several other characters. IMO there is a better chance of SDing while ledge camping multiple times in a match than some low tiers winning. I think that Hax's own match vs Mofo helps prove my point. He screwed up several times in that match and Mofo looked way past being on point and still lost second game. And that was over 2 years ago before the meta game for upper tiers evolved even further.

I would be willing to support a LGL of 100 though so nobody can ever manage to get the lead and ledge camp for 7+ minutes although they'd probably SD or give an opening from a tech error.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I think 100 is an arbitrary number as sheik can easily grab the ledge 100 times in a match without being ridiculous
That's fair. I haven't played melee seriously in a long time since my last friend who gave me competition ie; his sheik could go last hit vs me if I went Roy quit several years ago. I went back and checked just how quick the ledge grabs could be done competently and have to agree with your post. I now think 100 would be start and the far better members of the community if they became serious about this would work their way up from there. >_>

gravy

Smash Ace
That's not something you can reasonably do consistently with every character.

Engo

Smash Ace
M2K is the only one good enough at the ledge to make this a problem. You're basically just asking to ban/limit the greatest strength of one player which he achieved through a ****load of practice.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Looool. But that is very true. Are we supposed to change the meta to cater to flawed characters?

@Hax just a side note you should look into performing a long moonwalk to grab the ledge, just something I think you should look at if you haven't. No idea if it has any merit. I agree with your post and the core of your ideas but I don't know if we can or more importantly should do anything about it as the goal of a competitive match is to make the game as unplayable for your opponent as possible (i.e. fox laser camp peach, chain grabs, crouch canceling etc.)

Osennecho

Smash Ace
how can one grab the ledge 100 times in 8min
must be tas honestly
good **** GGs
You're kidding right? I can auto snap the ledge with Marth way over 100 times in under 8 minutes in brawl dude. You're telling me Sheik can't grab the ledge 100+ times in 8 minutes in melee? I'm either seriously amazing at melee and my horrible play speed is godlike or you're BAD. Or blatant sarcasm that I missed.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Anyone have videos or tips for planking with Puff? I'd love to be an asshole and abuse it as hard as I can.
Summon M2K, maybe?
And no it shouldn't be limited, at least not until we learn how to deal with it, then we can decide if it's too good or not, I think it's not.

Top Bottom