• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-RDR7's Jigglypuff Guide-

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDR7

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff is a very underestimated fighter, resulting in several false ridiculous matchup claims and ratios. I've seen posts about "no rest combos, terrible character, bottom 2" when I guarantee most of these players don't know the first thing about this character. As one of the more experienced Jigglypuff players I'm more than happy to educate some of you guys about our cutie pink puffball Jigglypuff. ;)

First I'll go over her moveset and what I think of her moves.

Jab (3% per jab) - Jab is frame 5 and a very average jab might I add. Jab 1 can lead into grab, dash attack(at kill percents at the edge), and obviously jab 2. Jab 2 has a very big hitbox which has more range than all of her tilts so this can be used as a spacing tool in certain situations. 4/5 stars. Definitely take advantage of this move and start learning how to use it once you start picking up puff.

Ftilt (10%) - Ftilt is a meh move. It does have it's uses though! It does decent damage, can jab reset at low percents, and can be used from dair, however grab is a better option when using this from dair. I use this move for mixups when it comes to spacing and strings. 2.5/5 Would recommend learning to use this move as you get more experienced and learn her jab reset combos.

Uptilt (Sweetspot-9% Sourspot-8%) - Uptilt is great, it is used in several combos and strings that I do. A few examples being fast fall up air -> uptilt -> up air, fast fall up air ->, uptilt -> dair. The move also combos into itself a few times depending on the character highest number being 3 times. This move also surprisingly kills at around 110%+ (depending on the weight, this will be higher) so if you find yourself having trouble earning the kill you can use it to sneak a kill in. The thing that kills me about this move is its terrible range making it hard to hit in neutral, however the fact it is not the first move used in many strings and combos redeems this factor making it usable. 3.5/5 Would recommend learning to use this move in your play immediately.

Dtilt (10%) - This move is difficult to use and I can only seem to use it for spacing. Combos that involve this move usually have to be frame perfect and even then there are several better options for damage making those combos not even worth it. It trips sometimes(?) and sends the victim at a low angle. 1.5/5 I'd only recommend using this once you are very in depth with puff and know what situation is best to use this crappy kick.

Dash Attack (Sweetspot-12% Sourspot-8%) - This is easily one of her best moves and one of the best dash attacks in the game. This move can combo into itself, kill, is a GREAT out of shield option, has a trample hitbox, extremely quick, the sourspot can jab reset, and does good damage. The trample hitbox can be used to tank projectiles and hitboxes. It is located in her head. The only drawbacks are its unsafe on hit at lower percents (I will make a list on when it is safe on hit) and isn't safe on shield. 5/5 USE THIS MOVE ITS GODLIKE.

Fsmash (Sweetspot-15% Sourspot-12%) - Fsmash is a slow, and hard move to hit in neutral. This move however has VERY GOOD reward as it hits like a truck and is definitely worth the read if you manage to hit it. DO NOT USE THIS MOVE AT LOW PERCENTS AS IT IS UNSAFE ON HIT. I have found ways to use this move in strings. Fair -> Fsmash, Last hit of dair -> Fsmash. I'm sure they aren't true but I have tripped up opponents in game using these strings and even taken stocks with the first one so feel free to give em a chance. The sourspot can also jab reset. Overall this is an alright smash for mixups and reads, be careful though it is VERY punishable if you miss or hit a shield. 3/5 Would recommend adding to your mixup game.

Upsmash (Sweetspot-14% Sourspot-12%) - Upsmash is an okay smash overall but has surprising strength and low endlag, great for baits. (Kind of like Ganon's upsmash) The sweetspot hits VERY hard, harder than mario's upsmash, but is inside of her and hard to land. The rest of the hitbox kills at okay percents. Its hard to use this in neutral however it is a great punish for characters who roll from the edge, but then again it is outclassed by rest when it comes to punishing that option. The hitbox is huge above her, it has relatively okay speed. 3/5 Would recommend adding to your mixup game.

Downsmash (11%) - Uuuuuugh. This move...IS TERRIBLE. It does bad damage, has stupid endlag, its hard to use in neutral, but it can be used for edgegaurding, and sends at a downwards angle. However almost ANY edgegaurding option is better than sitting at the edge of the stage when you can just pressure with aerials offstage. There's almost no reason to use this move. One more note, it can jab reset. This reset can only be taken advantage of in doubles. Example: If you happen to be playing with a partner using puff you can do downsmash infinites sending them back and forth into rest. However this situation on its own is DIFFICULT to set up. 1/5 Overall this move sucks and is only a decent option in RARE situations.

Nair (Sweetspot-11% Sourspot-6%) - This move is WONDERFUL! It can kill, does great damage, lingers for a million years(24 frames, I like to exaggerate), wonderful for stage spiking, great for approaching, reverse nair can lead into back air which is a kill confirm, and placing opponent's in an offstage situation by hitting at the edge. I usually tend to like to fly past my opponent when they are at the edge so if they shield it I can keep moving past them and most characters are unable to punish me for hitting this move on their shield as I am too far away already. There are a few drawbacks 1. Do not land next to ANYONE with this move. 2. In situations where you miss this move offstage it can take too long for you to act and the opponent will have already recovered or be in a better position due to your false read. 4.5/5 Amazing definitely use this in your kit.

Bair (13%) - This is a GREAT move. It kills really early, the sweetspot killing earlier than ganon and shulk's smash art bair by 2 percent. It is safe on shield when correctly spaced, at specific percents can combo into itself. There really isn't much to say about this move. It's Jigglypuff's bread and butter for taking stocks. 4.5/5 You need this move in your gameplay.

Uair (9%) - This is her worst aerial but it is still really really good. Its a nice combo starter when it is fast falled, has a great lingering hitbox, great for killing lightweight's off the top and catching airdodges, okay for juggling, and can lead into rest and into a grab on midweights if fast fallen. The drawback is fast fall up air is not safe on shield. Fast fall up air mostly should be used for punishing at low percents because of its combo setups. 4/5 Harder to use when starting out. I recommend learning to use this move as soon as possible though.

Dair (14%) - Dair is WONDERFUL. Dair does great damage, the final hit leads into several setups; including rest, fair, nair, grab, itself, and ftilt. It is also possible to dair -> footstool which I have yet to master. The drawback is these setups are nearly frame perfect and require a specific input which I will do my best to explain. Once the first hit connects pull back, then as the last 3 hits are taking place immediately pull forward. Your mobility will have enough time to accelerate allowing you to act out of this move. This move is good for gimping certain recoverys like bowser jr, and lasts VERY long but earning a few hits results in bad damage reward. I have also heard this is good to RAR (reverse aerial rush) however I haven't used it in this manner yet so I have no opinion on it. The drawback? Other than using it in wrong situations. I can't think of one. Brilliant move. 5/5 Definitely consider using this move in your kit

Fair (Sweetspot-9% Sourspot-6%) - This move is also godlike much like nair. It is a great spacing tool, can combo into itself, is the new wall of pain setup, has a great lingering hitbox for gimping, reverse sourspot can jab reset, and sweetspot/sourspot can lead into rest.This is arguably her best aerial but not by a large margin and arguably best move. This is Jigglypuff's bread and butter and every puff player SHOULD use this move. If used correctly this move should be safe in almost ANY situation. The drawback is failing to space this attack and getting punished for it, however this is upon your error. 5/5 There is no reason to not use this move.

Rollout (14% fully charged) - This move is pretty bad. It has gotten gradually weaker from game to game for reasons I don't know, Sakurai has weed in his teeth. It CAN be used in certain situations. If you have a situation where your opponent doesn't tech and is forced to get up, roll or getup attack and you just so happen to have a rollout charged up they are trapped and its a free hit. This situation is replicated if a smash is charged or a laggy move is used. I only seem to get these situations out of pure luck. So don't rely on this happening all the time. In some matchups its just utterly useless especially on platform stages where they can just jump up. DO NOT USE THIS MOVE ON LYLAT, YOU WILL PICK UP SPEED ON THE SLOPES AT THE EDGES AND KILL YOURSELF. This move is GREAT on delfino when it transitions to the stair area. Rollout increases its speed and power as it goes down slopes and will destroy shields at it's top speed. Another fun fact about this move is uncharged rollout can actually be decent for surprise ledge trumps. A vague thing about this move is that when you're on grass you turn around faster than on a normal surface. So you can put sick pressure on a shield. 2/5 This move overall is bad and I don't recommend using it, unless its solely part of your mixup game.

Pound (11%) - This move is great! It can be used to lead into fair and from that fair into a flashy af rest kill. Pound can break shields (not enough shield damage imo), does great damage, has an amazing disjointed hitbox, can be used to beat SEVERAL aerials, stays out for a LONG time, and can be used for more setups than just the one what I mentioned. I will list those later. This can also be used as a recovery move. However the mistake I see new puff players do is try to use rising pound to recover after each jump. It is only useful after the last jump, and is great for grabbing the edge. The drawback? It is not safe on shield and again doesn't break enough of the shield. You'd think it being a shield breaker it should do....decent against a shield?...Gimme my recovery momentum back over the shield damage and we have a perfect move. 4/5 Recommend fitting this in your playstyle.

Sing - Ah yes, Jigglypuff's signature attack and might I add what also made her famous in the world of pokemon. Yet again nearly useless in this game. I forget this move even exists sometimes. The only uses I've ever had with this move is ledge cancel sing, and the neutral get up punish on platforms (read neutral get up, then jump off the platform and sing. You should put em to sleep.) Overall this should be a RARE move used in play and I hardly recommend using it at all. 0.5/5 **** this move. I'd rather her throw rocks than posses this move.

Rest (20% Flower-36%) - The game changer, the momentum shifter, the stock stealer, the move that gets you killed, or your opponent killed. Personally I think rest is a GREAT move in this game however you get punished harder for missing using this move than rewarded for hitting it. Which is crap design. Another example of bad design is blast KOs off the top making this punishable on hit and is purely luck based whether or not you get punished for it. Why they made this design choice I will never know. This move makes her very viable in doubles, being decent in almost any pairing if not a top ten dubs character. There ARE indeed rest combos so if anyone has told you otherwise then they obviously just like to hear themselves talk. Up air -> rest, pound -> sourspot fair -> rest, sourspot fair -> rest, fair -> rest, dair -> rest. I'll list percentages as I update this guide. Overall there's not much to say about this move other than knowing when to use it, what onslaught should be punished, and how to properly combo into it. 5/5 You MUST optimize this move in your gameplay at some point to be any good. Mastering this move is nearly what seperates a good jiggs from an average jiggs.

Grab- Very fast grab to compensate for her range. There are a lot of moves that lead into grab. Dair, fair, uair (medium weight+) and jab 1. Dash grab is kind of icky but you will eventually get used to its grossness after a while. Pivot grab I don't use often but overall it's decent you just don't really need it. Standing grab is quick and very good, tying for the game's fastest grab with several characters. 3/5 The moves that lead into it are great, the reward from the grab is crap which is why I give it a meh rating.

Pummel (3%) - She has a really good pummel. Average speed, great damage. I recommend doing 2 at mid percents and 3 at high percents. Not really much else to say....its a pummel.

Fthrow (10.5%) - Only good for positioning/throwing offstage/damage. I use this to throw them offstage. Personally I like to alternate through all of the throws to get the same really good 10.5 damage it gives. Not giving ratings for throws.

Upthrow (10.5%) - Not good for positioning. Just damage. It can put opponents in juggling situations with up air depending on how they act. Her worst throw by only a small margin considering the rest suck too.

Back throw (10.5%) - Only good for positioning/throwing offstage/damage. This should be used the same as fthrow if your back is facing the edge. I think it is a better throw for throwing offstage or positioning considering it sends at a lower angle.

Downthrow (10.5%) - The thing about this throw is there is ONE follow up from it. If used at the very edge on heavy fast fallers an up air can be used to combo these characters. (Falcon, Megaman, Ryu, Bowser). Otherwise this throw is very mediocre and getting them in a situation where the follow up is usable is very well...situational.

Now that I have covered her moveset I will now cover her combos.

Puff does indeed have combos, and her combo game is better than what most people think.
With that being said let's go over the combos/strings I use.
Fast fall uair -> up tilt -> uair
uptilt -> uptilt -> uair (Midweights at low percents)fast fall uair -> uptilt -> dair -> fair -> rest (can 0 to death)
dair -> dair
reverse nair -> bair (kill confirm)
bair -> bair
jab 1 -> grab (try on anyone around 10%+)
sourspot fair -> grab
sourspot fair -> rest (kill confirm)
dair -> grab
dair -> ftilt (string)
dair -> rest (kill confirm)
dair -> fair
jab 1 -> dash attack (kill confirm)
fair -> nair
fair -> fair
nair -> dash attack -> dash attack
wall of pain fairs (depending on location can kill)
uair -> rest (kill confirm)
spaced pound -> fair -> rest
dair -> bair (kill confirm)
Combos/Strings I hardly use
dair-> dsmash
dair -> nair
uair -> grab (midweights+)
uptilt -> dair
Fancy stuff (try in training mode)
On battlefield try this combo where the cpu normally spawns: strong fair -> reverse hit jab reset fair -> jab reset ftilt -> jab reset ftilt -> fast fall up air -> rest.

(That is it for now, I will update and polish this guide later on. Let me know what you guys think.)

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Hello.

Who're you? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jokes aside, cool guide. Gives a good summary of Jiggs' good options.

Last edited:

Cloud Strife101

Smash Rookie
hey you should read my guide iit covers alot more then this guy covers and shows various techniques and how every move she has is good

[hey read my guide it covers alot more then what this guide does and wait til i update it anyways hope you read this and read my guide

hey i know you, your that one youtube guy, anyways if you would liek a better jigglypuff guide check mine out, it shows everything about her moves that i and other can find about her, as well as various techniques you can use and so on, anyways hope you read and rate my guide what it deserves

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Please do not bump old threads and try to avoid multi-posting. Use the edit function instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom