• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
I would like to share some of my thoughts on Joker, his inclusion is important because he's kinda explains how Nintendo choose DLC.

SO! Game Theory time!
Before I start, I want to say that my thoughts in parts based of question "What Rayman and Joker have in common?".

OK, Joker's inclusion can mean three things:
1. Nintendo picks less popular characters;
2. They are picking less expected characters that has reasons why a character can't be in.
or 3. Literally every character from video games are possible like Piranha Plant and all of my thoughts are don't mean anything at all.

The first thing can work for Rayman pretty well since he's a gaming icon, but not too big comparing to Sonic or others, the same thing can be said about Joker. In "Smash Ultimate Unofficial fighter ballot" Rayman took only 10th place, this (at least for me) means that most of people from the Smash community don't really expect to see him that much. I'm trying to say that if Rayman isn't the most expected character for this game, he can be in.

Speaking of the second one, Joker has two reasons why he couldn't be in: Persona 5 was released exclusively on PlayStation consols and at that time SEGA already had two reps. But despite those reasons Nintendo picked him. People online was speaking why Rayman can't be in for reasons like: he's not a gaming icon, the Rabbids are more popular, he's already a Spirit and etc. But Nintendo can ignore all of this and add him as DLC, plus it's seems Ubisoft are trying to make Rayman more recognizable by adding him in different games like Brawlhalla, Soul Hunters and even UNO. So... he still can be in. Ubi reps won't just end with 3 spirits! I hope.

I also want mention a Spirit fight in World of Light. The rules in Rayman Spirit fight are represent Rayman's franchise well. For example Rayman Spirit fight is a Stamina battle because in original trilogy Rayman had limited amount of health, and also both Rayman and Sonic have energetic and cheerful personality.
Is that means that Masahiro Samurai have played Rayman games?

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
The first thing can work for Rayman pretty well since he's a gaming icon, but not too big comparing to Sonic or others, the same thing can be said about Joker. In "Smash Ultimate Unofficial fighter ballot" Rayman took only 10th place, this (at least for me) means that most of people from the Smash community don't really expect to see him that much. I'm trying to say that if Rayman isn't the most expected character for this game, he can be in.

Speaking of the second one, Joker has two reasons why he couldn't be in: Persona 5 was released exclusively on PlayStation consols and at that time SEGA already had two reps. But despite those reasons Nintendo picked him. People online was speaking why Rayman can't be in for reasons like: he's not a gaming icon, the Rabbids are more popular, he's already a Spirit and etc. But Nintendo can ignore all of this and add him as DLC, plus it's seems Ubisoft are trying to make Rayman more recognizable by adding him in different games like Brawlhalla, Soul Hunters and even UNO. So... he still can be in. Ubi reps won't just end with 3 spirits! I hope.
oh

Oh

OH!!!

gif hype.gif

I think my hope has grown a little after reading your post!

a.png

That...

That makes sense

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
I would like to share some of my thoughts on Joker, his inclusion is important because he's kinda explains how Nintendo choose DLC.

SO! Game Theory time!
Before I start, I want to say that my thoughts in parts based of question "What Rayman and Joker have in common?".

OK, Joker's inclusion can mean three things:
1. Nintendo picks less popular characters;
2. They are picking less expected characters that has reasons why a character can't be in.
or 3. Literally every character from video games are possible like Piranha Plant and all of my thoughts are don't mean anything at all.

I also want mention a Spirit fight in World of Light. The rules in Rayman Spirit fight are represent Rayman's franchise well. For example Rayman Spirit fight is a Stamina battle because in original trilogy Rayman had limited amount of health, and also both Rayman and Sonic have energetic and cheerful personality.
Sakurai asked Ubisoft to provide references for the Rayman trophies in Smash 4 but they instead gave them full blown models. Which could suggest he likes him enough to represent him in some way.

But I think it's also good to keep in mind that Sakurai was inspired by Persona for Ultimate via the GUI/Menu's, so he could have asked Nintendo to do Joker even though it was their final decision on the matter.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
^No big deal in the long-term, but it doesn't surprise me.

See, to me it honestly seems like, throughout the web, Rayman is an afterthought even when people explore the subject of established platformer series.
Like on Youtube. Ever notice how the majority of prolific game reviewers (sans Caddicarus) and lets players have yet to touch a Rayman game, whereas, by contrast, you can find a decent amount of videos covering Crash, Rareware, Shantae, or the latest indie platformer (not to throw shade, I enjoy them too.). GameXplain, for example, had this one discussion vid from the Smash 4 era where they gushed about how much Shovel Knight deserves to join the roster, while previously stating that Rayman lacks the material (or something along those lines). There are hardly any remixes of any soundtrack from the series, & most people who aren't already fans look at it with apathy. :ohwell: sigh....

Am I being too neurotic? Yes Most likely
Should I learn to just ignore the mainstream & have my own fun with a series that lets me platform to the beat of Black Betty & ride on giant moskitos with lazy eyes?
Of course!

but still.... something to consider. Tis' an observation.
>Shantae
>More popular than Rayman

Boi wat? Lol

KingOfKazoos

Smash Cadet
Yeah if you honestly think Shantae is more popular than Rayman then let me just disprove that in one image

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
No, no, the point I was trying to get at was that not that many people (or gamers, specifically) on the mainstream web talk about Rayman.

.... from I could gather, anyways...

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
Sakurai asked Ubisoft to provide references for the Rayman trophies in Smash 4 but they instead gave them full blown models. Which could suggest he likes him enough to represent him in some way.

But I think it's also good to keep in mind that Sakurai was inspired by Persona for Ultimate via the GUI/Menu's, so he could have asked Nintendo to do Joker even though it was their final decision on the matter.
Good points to keep in mind! And still it's too early to remove Rayman from the list potential newcomers.

And I would like to ask a question. Do characters explode in Stamina mode in previous games like in Ultimate? I found it similar to Death animation from Rayman Origins/Legends.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Good points to keep in mind! And still it's too early to remove Rayman from the list potential newcomers.

And I would like to ask a question. Do characters explode in Stamina mode in previous games like in Ultimate? I found it similar to Death animation from Rayman Origins/Legends.
Yes they do. They fall to floor and then explode.

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
They do in this game, but in others they just lie there forever but others can still knock them around until they finally fall offscreen.
Sounds creepy.
If characters die in Stamina mode with explosion in SSBU, this can mean that Mr. Sakurai took a bit of inspiration from Rayman Origins/Legends.
Yeah, in RO/RL characters are getting inflation like balloons and than pop out, but effects are still kinda similar with these lighting effects and some smokes.
But I might be wrong, everything is possible.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
They do in this game, but in others they just lie there forever but others can still knock them around until they finally fall offscreen.
Oh, that bit happens in Ultimate as well, when a character's final stock is exhausted.

ZetaXO

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4787-7862-7678
You know, megaman has his own death animation and sound depicted in smash from the megaman games, where he explodes with spherical particles

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
OK guys, I think I've got Rayman's spirit battle all figured out.

The black Sonic they use for the fight isn't actually meant to represent Rayman, but rather the "dark creatures" he faces in Olympus Maximus.

They're round like Sonic often is, have green eyes normally but turn red when on the offensive (compare normal and puppet Sonic) and are pretty fast. The stage this battle is fought in, Great Cave Offensive, is the closest analogue to Olympus Maximus, which have a composite of lush garden-like vistas, tricky temples and are primarily subterranean.

Last edited:

MrUndy

Smash Cadet

The black Sonic they use for the fight isn't actually meant to represent Rayman, but rather the "dark creatures" he faces in Olympus Maximus.

They're round like Sonic often is, have green eyes normally but turn red when on the offensive (compare normal and puppet Sonic) and are pretty fast. The stage this battle is fought in, Great Cave Offensive, is the closest analogue to Olympus Maximus, which have a composite of lush garden-like vistas, tricky temples and are primarily subterranean.
So that mean Sukapon was Rayman all time. And I guess the puppet Sonic is Rayman's pet. XD

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Poking back in and glad to see you guys going strong. I'll admit I was defeated at first, but Joker's inclusion only make me more optimistic about Rayman's chances.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

This is a really great interpretation of the Spirit Battle.

Man, I love just how well thought out some of these battles are.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Apologies for the double-post, but I figured this should be of interest:
Looks like an interesting piece of Rayman history is going to be preserved

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
Hey! It's been awhile! Yeah, the spirit thing did crush my hopes lore wise since the lore said "spirits are characters who lost their bodies" or whatever, but slowly my hope is going up. I also love how they made the characters people wanted the most hard spirit battles, and Sonic was perfect because they're both 90s icons and had games around the same time.
Also sometimes spirits are the same as the fighters so maybe Ray will be DLC. We all just have to hope and pray. I never played a Persona game in my life so I wasn't expecting Joker at all

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Hey! It's been awhile! Yeah, the spirit thing did crush my hopes lore wise since the lore said "spirits are characters who lost their bodies" or whatever, but slowly my hope is going up. I also love how they made the characters people wanted the most hard spirit battles, and Sonic was perfect because they're both 90s icons and had games around the same time.
Also sometimes spirits are the same as the fighters so maybe Ray will be DLC. We all just have to hope and pray. I never played a Persona game in my life so I wasn't expecting Joker at all
Honestly, I hope the next DLC character is one that has a Spirit, Rayman or otherwise. Just to get the "do Spirits deconfrim characters" question out of the way.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
So this has probably been talked about before, but from which game do you think Rayman's appearance would be most derived from? I think they could do it in a similar fashion as to how they handled King K. Rool, which kind of mixed his older and newer appearances. Either that or he'll look a lot more like how he appeared in Legends.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
So this has probably been talked about before, but from which game do you think Rayman's appearance would be most derived from? I think they could do it in a similar fashion as to how they handled King K. Rool, which kind of mixed his older and newer appearances. Either that or he'll look a lot more like how he appeared in Legends.
I'd prefer a mix of Rayman 3 and his origins/legends appearance, those are the best looks to me!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Probably mostly based on Origins/Legends with parts of the Rayman 3 design to make it better fit into 3D.

------------------------------------

Now that I don't have to double post again, might as well post this.
Here's the video featuring bits and pieces of Rayman Raving Rabbids' platformer prototype.

There's some surprising stuff left in the code, I highly recommend watching it.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Probably mostly based on Origins/Legends with parts of the Rayman 3 design to make it better fit into 3D.

------------------------------------

Now that I don't have to double post again, might as well post this.
Here's the video featuring bits and pieces of Rayman Raving Rabbids' platformer prototype.

There's some surprising stuff left in the code, I highly recommend watching it.
Seeing Rayman do the Knuckles Glide was a good way to start my morning.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I too think it might be some sort of mix between Rayman 3 and his appearance from Origins and Legends. I doubt that his hair will look anything like how it did in the first game, since Rayman's haircut changed pretty early on.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I still say Rayman is the definitive lock rep for a Ubisoft rep, it's just a matter of whether Ubisoft was able to convince Nintendo to let them have a rep

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I still say Rayman is the definitive lock rep for a Ubisoft rep, it's just a matter of whether Ubisoft was able to convince Nintendo to let them have a rep
I agree. Despite the fact that Rabbids have been in a Mario game, that doesn't mean that they're more likely to be in Smash as some people like to say. Just because something is more "popular" or "relevant" doesn't guarantee their inclusion. Some people act like Nintendo will literally just add things that are the most popular, as if that's the number one defining factor on whether or not a character will be in Smash. Why don't they just add a politician into the game next, who cares right? Piranha Plant was just a joke character, they threw him in just because, why not. He was announced after they had said that Incineroar was going to be the last fighter in the base game. It's like they were trying to say "Hey, don't take this seriously" and make that crystal clear. Nintendo has some integrity, they choose fighters to add into the game based on their ability to become fighters, their unique traits, and the importance that they serve to their franchise, usually a franchise that has left a mark on the industry.

ZetaXO

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4787-7862-7678
There's kind of a rumor for the next direct featuring some Rayman content as being in a future Mario + Rabbids 2.
Also a Rayman trilogy game would have a chance to be announced.
It's only a rumor though, but as this place seemed very calm, I thougt I'd tell about it.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'd buy those two things in a heart beat.
Part of me wishes the Rayman trilogy games were remastered rather than ported though, cause you know, with like 6 different versions of Rayman 2, at least a remaster would feel unique.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
There's kind of a rumor for the next direct featuring some Rayman content as being in a future Mario + Rabbids 2.
Also a Rayman trilogy game would have a chance to be announced.
It's only a rumor though, but as this place seemed very calm, I thougt I'd tell about it.
Hold it right there buddy boi I'm a need a source before you play with my heart like this

RainbowMario

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainbowMario
3DS FC
4983-4921-2218
Switch FC
SW - 2028 - 6856 - 9692
Top Bottom