• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
At least we can say that we stuck to our guns all the way through until the end, and that I don't regret at all.

Most other character supports give up at one point or another. So seeing Rayman fans make it to the end against the odds just feels special.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm still currently putting my final wishes on Rayman. Well, I'm still dearly looking forward on seeing him in Smash sometime in the future anyway, especially with having been refreshed by Origins and Legends showing how just fun he could be in the game, while enjoying ton out of Redemption-fan remake. At least Crusade and Smash Flash 2 are gonna keep me busy playing him, whatever may come.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Darn, that's literally the most disappointing ending to DLC ever. Why did it have to be a character from a franchise I don't care about or play?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Darn, that's literally the most disappointing ending to DLC ever. Why did it have to be a character from a franchise I don't care about or play?
At least it didn't end with Alfonse from the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes. Generally speaking, there's going to be worse or more disappointing characters out there.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, we tried guys. We really did.

I'm disappointed Rayman didn't make it in, but I can't say I'm surprised or upset, really. Sora's still a pretty strong way to close the game out imo.

Hopefully you all can maintain support whenever the next Smash game happens, but I won't blame you if you don't. Ubisoft definitely makes it tough.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Even though some will feel Bad about the outcome, I feel like we did the Best we could to keep that glamour of Hope. I won’t lie I do feel like Sora is a Worthy Inclusion and Sakurai actually ended on a Great Note (no pun intended), but I do feel the pain for you guys as well and I wish we could have gotten a Rayman Mii Costume. I do treasure this journey we went through together and hope that 1-day we’ll get our chance soon, this’ll be my last Post and maybe I’ll be back to campaign for Rayman again. But for now I’ve got Tekken in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and that’s All I could ask for from Mr. Sakurai, so from the Bottom of my Heart I love you guys and let’s Celebrate this journey and Mr. Sakurai’s Journey into completing the Games Content. Many Love and Well wishes to you guys and always Remember, the Journey Never Ends until Rayman is in Super Smash Bros.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, we tried guys. We really did.

I'm disappointed Rayman didn't make it in, but I can't say I'm surprised or upset, really. Sora's still a pretty strong way to close the game out imo.

Hopefully you all can maintain support whenever the next Smash game happens, but I won't blame you if you don't. Ubisoft definitely makes it tough.
It is not just Ubisoft. Nintendo just has a history of only begrudgingly acknowledging the accomplishments of the West while falling all over anything from Japan that does good. I posted this already in Doomguy thread but DKC is a great example of that. It was one of the best titles on the SNES but Miyamoto and Nintendo Brass had a hard time saying good things about it until years after it came out.

Notice that other big Western IP did not make it into Smash. The only true Western IP that we got were Banjo, King K Rool, Ridley, and Steve. Three of those 4 listed where either Nintendo IP or one-time Nintendo IP that did very well. The fourth one, Steve, is so popular globally that he almost had to be put in. I also think Sakurai had a personal love for Steve.

It might be unintentional bias, who knows.

Notice that the most popular type of video games (First-Person Shooters) don't have a single representative in Smash Brothers. This is because FPS games are primarily popular outside of Japan.

Nintendo has always been a Japanese-Centric company. We were probably fools to think they would acknowledge Western IP like Crash, Doomguy, and Rayman enough to put them into Smash.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
It is not just Ubisoft. Nintendo just has a history of only begrudgingly acknowledging the accomplishments of the West while falling all over anything from Japan that does good. I posted this already in Doomguy thread but DKC is a great example of that. It was one of the best titles on the SNES but Miyamoto and Nintendo Brass had a hard time saying good things about it until years after it came out.

Notice that other big Western IP did not make it into Smash. The only true Western IP that we got were Banjo, King K Rool, Ridley, and Steve. Three of those 4 listed where either Nintendo IP or one-time Nintendo IP that did very well. The fourth one, Steve, is so popular globally that he almost had to be put in. I also think Sakurai had a personal love for Steve.

It might be unintentional bias, who knows.

Notice that the most popular type of video games (First-Person Shooters) don't have a single representative in Smash Brothers. This is because FPS games are primarily popular outside of Japan.

Nintendo has always been a Japanese-Centric company. We were probably fools to think they would acknowledge Western IP like Crash, Doomguy, and Rayman enough to put them into Smash.
You know we'll be back for the next Smash. We will not stop until Rayman gets in.

Last edited:

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
Not seeing Rayman after so many months of hype and speculation was definitely a letdown, especially that Rayman was genuinely the only character that would make me 100% satisfied, but at least I've got Ridley, K. Rool and Steve so I can't complain.
While I wasn't a fan of Sora, I definitely can't say no to the fact that he was probably one of the most perfect way to end the game so I don't mind him, especially considering the fact that he was the most requested character of all time.
But as the other said - despite that we haven't reached our goal, I'm still happy that Rayman fanbase keeps growing and growing, and while not seeing him in Smash is sad and don't think I really wanna see anything from him from the abusive ****ers at Ubisoft, the fanbase being still active despite the series being dead is a joy to see, not unlike the ones like Banjo-Kazooie or Mother.
And as a side note, sorry if I'm gonna sound pretentious to some, but to people who are extremely dissapointed with not only not getting Rayman, but nobody from their most wanted I definitely understand your reason to upset, but it's way healthier for you guys to try to focus on something else and take a break from Smash in general. 1 year ago, while I wasn't the sterotypical Smash fan who threw tantrums, whenever they character haven't gotten in, I still got the "ugh... day ruined" mindset, but after branching out to other things, but still keeping interest in Smash, definitely helped me to have a more healthier outlook on it, but the fact that I've finally started college also helped probably.
But anyway, I'm probably gonna lurk in this thread and some others, but it's gonna be a looooong time, untill I write another post.
See y'all, it was a blast speculating about all this stuff.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Not seeing Rayman after so many months of hype and speculation was definitely a letdown, especially that Rayman was genuinely the only character that would make me 100% satisfied, but at least I've got Ridley, K. Rool and Steve so I can't complain.
While I wasn't a fan of Sora, I definitely can't say no to the fact that he was probably one of the most perfect way to end the game so I don't mind him, especially considering the fact that he was the most requested character of all time.
But as the other said - despite that we haven't reached our goal, I'm still happy that Rayman fanbase keeps growing and growing, and while not seeing him in Smash is sad and don't think I really wanna see anything from him from the abusive ****ers at Ubisoft, the fanbase being still active despite the series being dead is a joy to see, not unlike the ones like Banjo-Kazooie or Mother.
And as a side note, sorry if I'm gonna sound pretentious to some, but to people who are extremely dissapointed with not only not getting Rayman, but nobody from their most wanted I definitely understand your reason to upset, but it's way healthier for you guys to try to focus on something else and take a break from Smash in general. 1 year ago, while I wasn't the sterotypical Smash fan who threw tantrums, whenever they character haven't gotten in, I still got the "ugh... day ruined" mindset, but after branching out to other things, but still keeping interest in Smash, definitely helped me to have a more healthier outlook on it, but the fact that I've finally started college also helped probably.
But anyway, I'm probably gonna lurk in this thread and some others, but it's gonna be a looooong time, untill I write another post.
See y'all, it was a blast speculating about all this stuff.
I'll be here for the next Smash to continue supporting our boy.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Unlike Crash, Rayman at least has a chance as his company both have a collboration with NIntendo and also have contents in Smash.

But I do think Rayman needs some more explosure in recent games. It's a shame that he is completely absent from new Rabbid games which provide a precious chance to work with Mario himself. Otherwise even if Ubisoft has its first fighter in Smash 6, it might no be him.

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
I'm just flabbergasted that we didn't even get a mii costume. Why would they choose Altair and Rabbids, but not Rayman?
It's so inconsistent:
  • Shovel Knight gets only an assist trophy
  • Bomberman gets an assist trophy, and later a mii costume
  • Rayman gets only a spirit
  • Shantae gets only a spirit, and later a mii costume

I like all of those characters, but why do some get mii costumes and not others? I know it all has to do with negotiations and money and what not, but do you think Yacht Club Games didn't want a Shovel Knight mii costume? Or that Ubisoft would say no to a Rayman costume? I guess they did. They felt Altair and Rabbids were enough. I now believe Ubisoft is the biggest obstacle in the way of us getting Rayman.

While I don't care for Sora, I'm happy for his fans, and if he won the ballot then he is deserving of being the last character for Ultimate. My disappoint today wasn't with Sora, but with the fact that we only got 3 mii costumes. Would have loved to see Rayman and Crash as deluxe miis along with them.

I really hope the next Smash is a port of Ultimate with extra characters, stages, etc. If that's the case, Rayman should have a better shot. If it's a reboot, I don't think the odds are good.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a glamour of Hope for you guys, even though the Games DLC Cycle has ended. There’s still a strong possibility that the Game will get ported to another Console with the DLC in Base Game and in a Next-Gen Nintendo Console (ie. Super Nintendo Switch) as a Deluxe Edition as Nintendo is definitely going to go the route of Street Fighter 2 where they retain the Original game and Sakurai can still comeback for say like only 5-DLC Character additions with New Collaborations like (a rebranded) Ubisoft and Koei-Tecmo for those 5-DLC Packs. It’s going to be about 5-Years till like we get to a New Smash Bros announcement so take my claim with a Grain of Salt but if you need some reassurance about this idea here’s something to keep that belief, Nintendo knows that Super Smash Bros Ultimate is way to Valuable to shelve it as an Entry to a Series, they now see it as a Flagship Best Seller Stand-alone Game and it would be foolish on their part to Reboot the Series without the Authenticity of what this Game amassed in its appeal for Content, and if Sakurai does come in and works on the Games DLC in the Future. He’ll have the remaining omissions from the Previous-Generation Console (Switch) that has us Western Fans like Rayman who are still trying to Reach out to Sakurai and Nintendo for his Inclusion and by that time he’ll have the Banjo level of awareness.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
I am also surprised Rayman along with Shovel Knight did not receive any Mii Costumes when at least a license to use these two characters in Ultimate in some form had already been given to Nintendo so it shouldn't have been too hard to re-negotiate for additional content. I made peace with the thought that if a fully playable character was not in the cards for all characters that at least those whose proportions did fit well enough for a Mii Fighter could come decently close as a satisfying compromise. Sure, Rayman as a Mii Fighter would not have detachable and throwable fists, and also no helicopter-hair recovery but at least having a deluxe styled Brawler that basically is a full model import of Rayman would have been pretty cool. I thought after Ubsioft already got Mii Fighters with Altair and the Rabbid hat that they were involved and could always get more costumes later down the line like Rayman, and that the only potential obstacle would have been his floating limbs. An unfounded concern that would later be resolved, refuted, and cleared anyway when the Creeper and Pig Mii Costumes came with floating limbs too. So there really is no reason why it shouldn't have worked out. There also shouldn't have been much modeling effort either as the Smash team could have simply reused the good looking trophy model from Smash 4 (was originally from that Rayman Legends CGI trailer) and ported it over. Many assets from Smash 4 were reused in Ultimate especially notable with the old Mii Costumes that were only slightly touched up for Ultimate, and other assets already in the game in some other form were recycled for DLC Mii Costumes like the model of Bomberman's Assist Trophy, so tweaking Rayman's old model to fit as a Mii Costume didn't seem that unlikely.
Rayman along with Bit.Trip are the only Smash 4 3rd party series that got shafted in Ultimate as they lost considerable amounts of content. Rayman had three 3D trophies with him, Globox, and Barbara as nice representation while he now only has a spirit of himself. And CommanderVideo is missing completely meaning that Bit.Trip is a franchise that was lost entirely from the transition of Smash 4 to Ultimate.

It's a shame really. Especially with how underwhelming the final costume wave was outside of Doom Slayer's cool looking costume. Having Rayman and Shovel Knight as deluxe costumes would have been a nicer send-off. I would have also welcomed a Ryu Hayabusa Mii Costume as he was my current most wanted, and a Mii Costume is better than missing the boat completely. All three of them really should be relatively easy to license and an easy way to make their fans happy.

I think it's common consensus among most fans that this final Mii wave did not make use of the potential it could have had because this was the one time every fan would have been pleased to see their wanted character there as it was either "now or never" to make an appearance in Ultimate.

Let's see what the future of the Smash series will have in terms of representation for the Rayman series. I think it's also important that the Rayman series itself finds a way to become active again and recover. Another 3D game in the style of Rayman 2 and 3 would be the right step in my opinion.

Anyway now that Ultimate has finally fulfilled my long-time wish of a Tekken character in Smash, I will become more active in other support groups of characters I would like to see in the next Smash game. And Rayman happens to be one of them.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
While Rayman didn't get in the hype train for him during DLC was a rollercoaster and made the character a much more popular choice for the future. Also I'm glad to have met MrMcNuts MrMcNuts and witnessed the Rayman For Smash movement boom, the way you handled that account was so on point and did so much for the character in the long run. Also I enjoyed all the interactions our accounts had, really made the DLC journey for this game so much more fun haha.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
JudgeHeihachi JudgeHeihachi I actually had a theory on why rayman didn't get a mii
Screenshot_20211008-115405_Twitter.jpg

The truth is a mii costume just isn't as simple as people think it'd be for Ray

While Rayman didn't get in the hype train for him during DLC was a rollercoaster and made the character a much more popular choice for the future. Also I'm glad to have met MrMcNuts MrMcNuts and witnessed the Rayman For Smash movement boom, the way you handled that account was so on point and did so much for the character in the long run. Also I enjoyed all the interactions our accounts had, really made the DLC journey for this game so much more fun haha.
My man it was great having you there as well! I'll make sure to check out golden sun as well one of these days!

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
We know Nintendo and Ubisoft are still working together on the Mario Rabbids Sequel, so I wonder what this will mean in terms of their negotiations for Smash in the future.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
We know Nintendo and Ubisoft are still working together on the Mario Rabbids Sequel, so I wonder what this will mean in terms of their negotiations for Smash in the future.
Speaking of Mario + Rabbids, we should hope that Rayman makes an appearance in the sequel. Cause the way I see it, since those games actually did pretty well in Japan, we could imagine it as some sort of gateway to expose Japan to the character more.

Not that I think that just like that Rayman will be popular in Japan but hey, whatever helps.

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
JudgeHeihachi JudgeHeihachi I actually had a theory on why rayman didn't get a mii
View attachment 333714
The truth is a mii costume just isn't as simple as people think it'd be for Ray

My man it was great having you there as well! I'll make sure to check out golden sun as well one of these days!
I just checked this and yes, it's true that the Creeper's and Pig's legs end at the point where the knee is located of the default Mii Brawler. Maybe it really had reasons of otherwise not making the hitbox invisible.
I also took a look at Rayman Mii Costume mods and found this one:
5f17341e34887-s1.jpg

It has a lot of negative space at the lower half. Compared to the Creeper and Pig the torso is shorter too. Maybe a few parts would have needed to be scaled differently, which wouldn't have been too bad as many Mii Costumes have different proportions especially all costumes of realistic humans. But I still have no idea how the missing knee joint could be fixed. But at least now knowing a potential reason why it may not have worked out makes me feel better.
I also took a look at Shovel Knight's model in comparison to a Mii fighter next to him and he may have been to wide for a costume and shrinking his shoulders down might have taken away from his iconic design

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I just checked this and yes, it's true that the Creeper's and Pig's legs end at the point where the knee is located of the default Mii Brawler. Maybe it really had reasons of otherwise not making the hitbox invisible.
I also took a look at Rayman Mii Costume mods and found this one:View attachment 333832
It has a lot of negative space at the lower half. Compared to the Creeper and Pig the torso is shorter too. Maybe a few parts would have needed to be scaled differently, which wouldn't have been too bad as many Mii Costumes have different proportions especially all costumes of realistic humans. But I still have no idea how the missing knee joint could be fixed. But at least now knowing a potential reason why it may not have worked out makes me feel better.
I also took a look at Shovel Knight's model in comparison to a Mii fighter next to him and he may have been to wide for a costume and shrinking his shoulders down might have taken away from his iconic design
What if they just edited that single animation so that it uses Rayman's foot instead of his knee?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What if they just edited that single animation so that it uses Rayman's foot instead of his knee?
Sakurai has been on the record saying he doesn't like when animations don't match hitboxes (despite some wonky ones still existing lol), so he wouldn't deliberately alter the animation unless the hitboxes changed. And he wouldn't change the hitbox for a costume because then the costume would be a functionally different character.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Sakurai has been on the record saying he doesn't like when animations don't match hitboxes (despite some wonky ones still existing lol), so he wouldn't deliberately alter the animation unless the hitboxes changed. And he wouldn't change the hitbox for a costume because then the costume would be a functionally different character.
Yeah I don't think they put in any extra programming for any of the miis

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i havent been on this thread in a long time but i saw a funny small poll i wanted to share between 2 limbless fighters for smash which are Rayman and Sukapon that has been made 10 months ago and they are both at a tie lol
i think it will be awesome if we get them both of them became playable in the next smash game i can imagine them teaming up in a story mode (even though story mode is unlikely)

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So what do we think is more likely to happen first: New mainline Rayman game or Rayman in the next Smash Bros?
As of right now? Probably a new Rayman. We won't be seeing Smash for another 6-8 years so that's a lot of downtime for Rayman to get picked up to do anything. If we don't hear anything by year 5 though then I'll lean more on Smash, I think.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
As of right now? Probably a new Rayman. We won't be seeing Smash for another 6-8 years so that's a lot of downtime for Rayman to get picked up to do anything. If we don't hear anything by year 5 though then I'll lean more on Smash, I think.
When Ubisoft announces their next Ubisoft Forward you know that Rayman is going to go trending again and everyone is going to ask for it. It's happened at the announcement of every other Forward and I just hope that they've been taking note. My enthusiasm isn't very high on that though.

Top Bottom