• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Not to mention that jokes were done about folks over there calling Ridley Captain America when he finally made it in, due to Metroid not appealing especially well over in Japan franchise-wide.

Come to think of it, Rayman 2: The Great Escape was first released on the N64, wasn't it? Was a bit of a killer app for it, in a sense.
Pfft, totally forgot about Ridley America. Those were good times. Rayman Captain America sounds promising, actually :p (Even though he's French, but I feel like this would be overlooked anyway lol)

I also wanna address the bit about Rayman not being Ubisoft's most important franchise:

Most succesful or most profitable =/= Most important.

Rayman is literally the franchise that put Ubisoft on the map, and the series that carried them for 'bout almost ten years. So how the game series that you owe your current success to isn't the most important I will highly question. Assassin's Creed did become their main moneymaker afterwards, but saying that AC is their most important series is like saying that Call of Duty should get in before Crash because CoD milks Activision more money.

Also that:
Banjo & Kazooie got priority over Steve.
Megaman got priority over Ryu.

So why do we still need to argue that the better selling series HAVE to get in first when that's been disproven twice already.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Pfft, totally forgot about Ridley America. Those were good times. Rayman Captain America sounds promising, actually :p (Even though he's French, but I feel like this would be overlooked anyway lol)

I also wanna address the bit about Rayman not being Ubisoft's most important franchise:

Rayman is literally the franchise that put Ubisoft on the map, and the series that carried them for 'bout almost ten years. So how the game series that you owe your current success to isn't the most important I will highly question. Assassin's Creed did become their main moneymaker afterwards, but saying that AC is their most important series is like saying that Call of Duty should get in before Crash because CoD milks Activision more money.

Also that:

So why do we still need to argue that the better selling series HAVE to get in first when that's been disproven twice already.
What the **** how have I not thought about this before? That's a good point against the people who say that Rayman isn't their most important franchise!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also that:

Exactly. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if even Monster Hunter got skipped over for Nick Wright, Arthur or even Morrigan if we're getting a new DLC Capcom character.

You could even argue that Pac-Man got in over a Tekken character regarding Bamco, due to unusual circumstances. Pac-Man is definitely Namco's most important series even if it's not that relevant to current audiences (for Bandai, that would be their V-pet properties, but that's a story for another day).

How about Rayman Falcon? :4pacman: Y'know, seeing as Falcon is getting a spotlight mini-series.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Rayman and Megaman are an apt comparison. Megaman pretty much helped build Capcom as Rayman did for Ubisoft. They were the companies' early success stories. There is a legacy most of the third party characters that were chosen have. I think the only company represented in Smash that this doesn't apply to is Atlus with Joker. Persona is technically a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei, a legacy series that was mostly synonymous with Atlus before Persona became the hit it is now. Though starting with Persona 5, the series itself has moved away from the SMT branding despite them still sharing certain elements like enemies and gameplay mechanics.

I guess this would be like Rabbids getting in before Rayman. However, the fact folks at Ubisoft themselves have been pushing Rayman as their representative in Smash, I feel pretty good about Rayman's chances amongst Ubisoft's other big IPs.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah let's not sneak dis people in this thread.

And just remember the newcomer speculation thread makes up an extremely small section of the smash community, who didn't even predict the majority of characters we've gotten on dlc. It's not worth letting hivemind bias get to us.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
In light of Nintendo's lack of acknowledgement of Zelda's Anniversary and the hard evidence celebration for it has been delayed because of Covid, it makes me wonder if Rayman is in the same boat. While the main Ubisoft twitter seems like it's neglecting the guy, you do see Ubisoft's other twitter accounts mentioning Rayman pretty frequently. What makes it interesting is how they lump this long dormant franchise with healthier series like Assassin's Creed or Watchdogs. Not to mention you had that flash game which straight up celebrated the anniversary. Did they had plans to celebrate it last year until Covid screwed it up and delayed it for this year? If so, crossing my fingers for a remaster collection.

And Smash, of course.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
In light of Nintendo's lack of acknowledgement of Zelda's Anniversary and the hard evidence celebration for it has been delayed because of Covid, it makes me wonder if Rayman is in the same boat. While the main Ubisoft twitter seems like it's neglecting the guy, you do see Ubisoft's other twitter accounts mentioning Rayman pretty frequently. What makes it interesting is how they lump this long dormant franchise with healthier series like Assassin's Creed or Watchdogs. Not to mention you had that flash game which straight up celebrated the anniversary. Did they had plans to celebrate it last year until Covid screwed it up and delayed it for this year? If so, crossing my fingers for a remaster collection.

And Smash, of course.
Not to be a killjoy, but since this is Ubisoft we're talking about, I don't think we should be expecting anything Rayman related from them.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Another argument I don't really understand is that "Ubisoft's clearly wanted meaningful content in Smash and Nintendo doesn't seem to be interested."

I... how would you even know that's the case until it's all said and done? Of course they're not gonna appear interested, you'd be giving away the surprise that's to come later. You could apply this logic to any character not in Smash and it'd probably sound equally as flawed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another argument I don't really understand is that "Ubisoft's clearly wanted meaningful content in Smash and Nintendo doesn't seem to be interested."

I... how would you even know that's the case until it's all said and done? Of course they're not gonna appear interested, you'd be giving away the surprise that's to come later. You could apply this logic to any character not in Smash and it'd probably sound equally as flawed.
This. It's like the time it wasn't 100% obvious SNK was in until the initial leak cropped up. Sak values his surprises, a lot, sometimes to the point that it doesn't make sense to the average layman.

If someone or some entity doesn't look like they're interested in Smash, take it for granted that secretly, they actually are, and will do their damnedest to not confirm nor deny that they're involved in some capacity. One would have to be crazy not to want to get their character(s) in the biggest Nintendo fighter around, even if they're only able to get minor content from the onset.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Yeah, because the reactions to Banjo and Kazooie in Smash really said something to Rare/Microsoft... Oh wait.
Oi, no need to be passive-agressive. Don't wanna unintentionally start an argument.

I do agree with the point that Rayman being in Smash wouldn't exactly equate to a greater output of games, but in Banjo-Kazooie's defense... it's been over a year and a half since the Smash reveal and the overwhelmingly positive reception. A new game isn't going to be ready to show with that small of a time frame, you know? Not that I'm optimistic about their future, but I'm just sayin'

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Oi, no need to be passive-agressive. Don't wanna unintentionally start an argument.

I do agree with the point that Rayman being in Smash wouldn't exactly equate to a greater output of games, but in Banjo-Kazooie's defense... it's been over a year and a half since the Smash reveal and the overwhelmingly positive reception. A new game isn't going to be ready to show with that small of a time frame, you know? Not that I'm optimistic about their future, but I'm just sayin'
My goal is not to inherently "get Ubisoft to make a new Rayman game". obviously in the long term that's definitely a goal but first and foremost, I want Ubisoft to know that tons of people still care about this character, and that he can be profitable. There's a difference.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice

Didn't want to sound that way, sorry, I guess I'm just being pessimistic again, because I was convinced that perhaps Rare would take notice of how much hype Banjo in Smash created and yet nothing has happened. I guess I just said what I said because I don't want to get my hopes up just to get disappointed again. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps Ubisoft has something planned for Rayman.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Detractors push anything when they fear a character is gonna get in over their own most wanted. It may seem worse on the speculation thread on this site since that group hates our boy and showers any negative post of him with likes, but I can assure you on the rest of the web people don't buy into such ridiculous made up points against him.
If Rayman isn't to get a game again, I would at least feel happy enough with Rayman being immortalized through an appearance in Smash.
And this^^^

Of course I want more Rayman games in the future, but considering him getting into Smash is my dream gaming announcement, if it's like Banjo where smash might be his last stop, at least our boi is getting immortalized!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Rayman isn't to get a game again, I would at least feel happy enough with Rayman being immortalized through an appearance in Smash.
Yeah, just look at :ultmegaman:, he barely got new games besides compilations since he got in 4, yet he came back for Ultimate anyway.

Not to mention every first-party that hardly ever gets anything new (if at all) and still came back as a badge of honor. :ultfalcon::ultness::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultlucas::ultrob::ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I still think the new fan rule of "Rayman would need to meet banjos level of demand" as if any 3rd party will reach that legacy of demand again lmao
Maybe Crash, honestly. Though, the big difference there to me is that Banjo was a top request for almost two decades alongside his buddies, K. Rool and Ridley, whereas Crash's support is much more recent and influenced by his resurgence. If Crash doesn't make it into the game and his support is still loud by next game then yeah, I would humor it then.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Maybe Crash, honestly. Though, the big difference there to me is that Banjo was a top request for almost two decades alongside his buddies, K. Rool and Ridley, whereas Crash's support is much more recent and influenced by his resurgence. If Crash doesn't make it into the game and his support is still loud by next game then yeah, I would humor it then.
Yeah maybe crash at best, but even then you're writing off so many third parties if you set the bar THAT high.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still think the new fan rule of "Rayman would need to meet banjos level of demand" as if any 3rd party will reach that legacy of demand again lmao
I mean...Terry hasn't been relevant to King Of Fighters in years besides being one of many support characters and his own series is dormant, was completely glossed over by the vocal Western Smash fans on the net, and he still got in anyway. Rightfully seen as the SNK company's oldest and most important main headliner. Managed to get in over Kyo, Haohmaru, Nakoruru and that new kid with the headset who's leading XV.

The minute Rayman gets in, it'd be like a mix of Terry and Banjo's situations.

For what it's worth, he did get some visible smash 4 ballot demand compared to who I'm talking to above (albeit somewhat drowned by the likes of Shovel Knight, King K. Rool, Shantae and Bandana Dee among others).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community/Crash-Bandicoot-for-Smash-4-447905735387110/

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, he did get some visible smash 4 ballot demand compared to who I'm talking to above.
Just saying, if the Loose End Theory is correct, and all DLC characters were decided prior to Ultimate's release, then the ballot could still play a factor in some character decisions, making Rayman look even better.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just saying, if the Loose End Theory is correct, and all DLC characters were decided prior to Ultimate's release, then the ballot could still play a factor in some character decisions, making Rayman look even better.
Oh, I have no doubt that the ballot will still play a role at some point. Would be less or more obvious, depending on the forthcoming characters/ news announcements (even if they won't bring it up).

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
The reason why I think Rayman has a really good shot is that Rayman's huge increase in demand for Smash started around 2015 the same time as the ArtsyOmni fake leak. 2015 was around the time that Smash Ultimate was in it's planning stages, too, so it definitely wouldn't be surprising to me that Sakurai/Nintendo/Sora/Ubisoft took notice of Rayman's demand for Smash at that point.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Rayman's fate in Smash remains to be seen, that's all I can say for right now since the presentation for Pyra and Mythra will definitely have a variety of Mii Costumes shown off

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Rayman's fate in Smash remains to be seen, that's all I can say for right now since the presentation for Pyra and Mythra will definitely have a variety of Mii Costumes shown off
I don't think rayman is gonna be a mii but even if he was idk if xenoblade is what he'd show up alongside with but who knows?
By the way, I've been watching some of the old reactions to Banjo Kazooie and saw how happy those people were.

I want to feel that way too darn it.
We will one day man!

Rayman's support has been consistently growing larger since Smash 4 with no slowdown. They'll run out of interesting japanese 3rd parties to add eventually and the doors will open more and more for western reps

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I don't think rayman is gonna be a mii but even if he was idk if xenoblade is what he'd show up alongside with but who knows?
In fairness, Byleth's entire wave was weird as hell, and Vault Boy isn't the first thing I think about when I think of Min Min either.

With that said, if Rayman is to get disconfirmed as a mii, it would make the most sense in a Crash Mii wave imo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In truth, Nintendo has NEVER celebrated the Zelda Anniversary in February, it has always started celebrating it at E3.
It might get dicey this year, since two other series of theirs are getting anniversaries this Summer. :ultdk::ultsamus:

Granted, Metroid would mostly just get Prime 4 (if that gets finished in time), but festivities pertaining to DK matters are a big question mark right now.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Low key hope they do the mii reveals first so I can go back to sleep once that's over!

(Unless Rayman is a mii them I'm a be too busy crying lmao)
ez, if it's not at the start, snooze your alarm for 25 minutes later!

Again, hope Rayman's not in this one. Would be kinda lame for me to have the presentation for one of my MWs soured cause the boy got Mii'd. That'd be some monkey paw **** right there.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
ez, if it's not at the start, snooze your alarm for 25 minutes later!

Again, hope Rayman's not in this one. Would be kinda lame for me to have the presentation for one of my MWs soured cause the boy got Mii'd. That'd be some monkey paw **** right there.
If for some reason he is, lets all realize that we supported our boy to the very end!

That being said, I'm hoping with every fiber of my being that he doesn't get deconfirmed today.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
No Rayman in this wave, I wasn't thinking it'd happen now either way but I did get a little nervous this time for some reason. Still, glad he's still in the running! Two more characters to go, I think Rayman could be either if he did make it.

Top Bottom