• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That twitter profile pic is top notch. McThiccNut lmao

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As happy as I'd be to have Banjo it'd be interesting to see what it would lead to should he get into Smash in the future. Mega Man lead to Ryu and Monster Hunter, and Ryu lead to Ken. Cloud is seemingly leading on to another SE rep.

It makes you wonder who'd come down the line. Cuphead? Master Chief? Rash? Conker? Joanna? There's a lot of characters bubbling underneath Banjo. Any one of them could happen!

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure everyone here has seen Joker's leaked render from the Best Buy site. Looking good Joker :4pacman:

It makes me wonder how good the Bear and Bird would look if they make it as DLC.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Here's a hot take!
Ray's neutral special is the chargeable energy beam from Rayman 2.
However, when you press b while shielding (ala Inkling), Ray will scroll through/swap it with 1 of 3 combat fatigues from Hoodlum Havoc (ala Shulk): the Vortex Fist, the Heavy Metal Fist, and the Shock Rocket.

The Vortex Twisters will suck up, spin & shoot up opponents, like those annoying twisters in the N64 Hyrule Castle stage.

The Heavy Metal Fist is, of course, a stronger variant of the telescopic fist (which would work like JamesDNaux's OP moveset) that can bust shields.

The Shock Rocket works like Samus's missile, but with the startup & speed of Villager's Lloyd Rocket.

But here's the catch. Like Rayman 3, the powers will wear off after a short period, so you gotta be quick on the draw.
Thoughts? Opinions? Responses? Spare change?

Last edited:

ZetaXO

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4787-7862-7678
The way you're saying this, I guess you would put his fist throw as a smash attack.
We've seen it in origins and legends (and brawlhalla), but I think it would be better for it to be a special attack.
This way we could have his iconic detached limb used like a boomerang of some sort.
I'd really like to see it happen.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Not quite what I meant. I was saying that the telescopic fist would work as an unorthodox standard :GCA: attack that boomerangs back, sorta like how Mega Man shoots lemons beams from his cannon for his standard attack as opposed to a conventional two/three-hit jab, or as a neutral-B special.

That way, Rayman's signature attack could play a big part of his moveset while still having a full quartet of specials at his disposal.

Last edited:

Azcorban

Smash Cadet
Support.

I just think he would have great potential with his moves (yet alone his moves from the first game).

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
As much as I would like to see a moveset that takes as much as it can from every game in the series, I think having every combat fatigue from 3 would be a bit of overkill.

From what I've seen, when a new character is created, the gimmick behind them is something not seen in other characters (echoes and possibly characters within the same series notwithstanding), and although the method you listed to switch between weapons hasn't been done yet, it has been explored before (with Robin using multiple weapons, each with a stamina gauge) and, like you said, Shulk can switch between arts using B and Inkling already has the special+shield mechanic.

I feel Rayman will have specials like K. Rool, each one corresponding to one thing in each game he's been in (for example, charge shot from 2, one of the fatigues from 3, plunger from raving rabbids, etc.), but how he attacks will probably be his gimmick. I can see him having standard attacks that are melee based, but he'll have one of the longest reaches in the game, like almost Belmont level of range, while his specials will be used as a great way to play keep-away with your opponent. I still enjoy the video posted a while ago where Ray's gimmick would have incredible range, but his limbs need time to come back to Ray for him to use that move again, and they can be knocked away (which would make his specials really great, as they wouldn't rely on that gimmick and help be a way to still attack/help grab your limbs if needed.)

But whose to say that's the way he'll turn out. The combat fatigues from 3 are really cool and could easily make up a lot of Ray's moveset, but I think it would limit showcasing every aspect that Ray has had in his collection of games if they based his specials/moveset around them.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd say that's a fair point. Going with the whole K. Rool-esque specials thing, I tried forming something a bit more streamlined (if that's the right word for it)

Perhaps something more like....
Chargeable energy beams for Neutral B

Vortex Shot for Side B. I backpedaled on the Shock Rocket & Metal Fist cuz' so many other fighters have missiles and hyper-powered punches, whereas shooting a twister could be unique to Rayman. (unless you've seen the Mii Swordsman, but who counting? :rolleyes:)

Purple Lum Swing for Up B (which, BTW, I think it'd be more fun if Ray swung around the ring instead of the back n' forth arc in the source material. A little creative liberty never hurts, right?)

Plum Drop for Down B (Smash Flash 2's got us covered on how that'd work, lol.)

Also Lockjaw as a tether grab cuz it makes too much sense.

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Personally I've always imagined his specials to consist of -

B - Charge Shot from Rayman 2 (he can even move back and forth and jump while charging it, but he can't hold it like Samus can)
Side B - Vortex from Rayman 3 (similar to Mii Swordfighter's little whirlwind, a good way to get someone caught in a multi-hit that can lead into a combo)
Up B - Throttle Copter from Rayman 3 (Works like Rool's copter, but due to Rayman's hair, he can slowly descend like G&W after he reaches his peak)
Down B - Plunger Gun from Raving Rabbids (Slow and not a whole lot of damage and knockback, but if it hits, it works like Diddy's Banana or Mewtwo's Disable, giving you an opportunity to come in with a stronger attack)

But now that you mention Lockjaw as a grab/tether, I think that works perfectly, especially since I think Rayman would have one of, if not the longest range in the game.

I imagine him having great recovery options and stupidly good range and ability to combo, with his drawbacks being he's one of the lighter fighters on the roster and his kill potential is lacking, similar to Sheik. He either needs a well placed smash attack on the edge of the stage or he needs to knock fighters into the blast zone off-stage.

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
I kinda like the way Smash Flash 2 is doing it, with the Plum as his down special. Gotta have the telescopic fist, I'd argue for a Walking Shell ride side special or a Moskito ride instead, and the purple lum swing for up special.

I get all the Rayman 3 love, but it doesn't feel indicative of a macro view of the character. If he gets in, I get the feeling they'll go with a more classic adaptation mixed with a bit of his more recent outing, based on what they did with Mega Man, Sonic, and the Belmonts.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, I did quote "If he were to" I didn't mean to say it was a guarantee that he would.
Maybe he'll do it, maybe he won't. Maybe he'll just use the first ballot for DLC as well, maybe not at all.
Regardless of the matter, I do feel like maintaining a high voice increases chances rather than not, because I'm sure Sakurai is just barely starting to think about DLC.
If Rayman is in the base game then you're right, nothing we do now will change his chances.
I know this was many posts ago, but it was apparently the next new one since I'd been in the Rayman thread, and it's odd to consider how much has happened since this point.

All said- the lack of Ubisoft in shock brings me woe. Rayman is my frontrunner, as for many, and a Rabbid assist would complete the vision for me.

Additionally, since the Rabbids remind me of the Minions, I should point out that 'Into the Spidey Verse' made me hopeful for the Illuminations version of Mario.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Y'know what'd be great, fellow Ray-maniacs? A third Ubiart game that expands on the fast-paced gameplay by giving Rayman and his compadres character-specific abilities.
Like, Tell me it wouldn't be fire playing as Ray with both his current parkour skillz and the boomerangin' appendages of yesteryear.
What about Globox forming rainclouds of varying effects/sizes that can also be used as platforms? Or he could just get piss-drunk off plum juice for durability.
The Teensies could be levitating fools & chuckin' em at other fools.
Barbara could twirl her ax to deflect enemy fire or channel her inner Belmont and just arc-fling the damn thing.
And just imagine what they could do with new (or in this case returning) playable characters like Ly. She could heel-face turn enemies or fly for a short period as opposed to hovering.

Sure, it probably won't happen anytime soon, but man it's fun to think about/dream!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the most exciting thing to me about Rayman's inclusion would be that Ubisoft is finally being given respect for all they are doing on the Switch.

I wouldn't feel this way with a rabbid. Maybe not even with Ezio/any Creed of the Assassin.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Had a random, goofy thought I wanted to share for any Disney Park visitors.

If Rayman somehow got a dedicated ride, what would it be like and which location would it fit best at?
I kinda vision a hybrid of a Buzz Lightyear-style gun-down game and a story-driven dark ride like Splash Mountain. Rayman and co. band with a militia of multi-colored moskitos to mow down the returning Robo-Pirate army. You could call it somethin' like "Rayman's 'Skeeter Squadron", maybe "Buzz Brigade"? "Mosqui-teers"? :grin: It'd go smack dab in the Magic Kingdom and/or Fantasyland.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Had a random, goofy thought I wanted to share for any Disney Park visitors.

If Rayman somehow got a dedicated ride, what would it be like and which location would it fit best at?
I kinda vision a hybrid of a Buzz Lightyear-style gun-down game and a story-driven dark ride like Splash Mountain. Rayman and co. band with a militia of multi-colored moskitos to mow down the returning Robo-Pirate army. You could call it somethin' like "Rayman's 'Skeeter Squadron", maybe "Buzz Brigade"? "Mosqui-teers"? :grin: It'd go smack dab in the Magic Kingdom and/or Fantasyland.
If it was a shooting game like the Buzz Lightyear ride they'd definitely make it Rabbids-centered with plunger gun and all. I agree with a mosquito-themed ride like a small coaster, child-friendly, that's what I'd build.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm way more interested in Rayman than the other supposed continual Japanese third parties. I'm really sick of them, ok?

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'm way more interested in Rayman than the other supposed continual Japanese third parties. I'm really sick of them, ok?
Sora aside, the most wanted third parties aren't even Japanese lol

We have Rayman, Banjo, Shantae, Doom Slayer, and (personally) Scorpion.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sora aside, the most wanted third parties aren't even Japanese lol

We have Rayman, Banjo, Shantae, Doom Slayer, and (personally) Scorpion.
Them being Western IP's is what makes them unlikely. Nintendo most likely selected Japanese IP's strictly, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't have announced they would.

volbound1700

Smash Master
What does everyone think about the frozen Rayman on battlefield? It is likely a coincidence but still cool.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Them being Western IP's is what makes them unlikely. Nintendo most likely selected Japanese IP's strictly, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't have announced they would.
Not really, this is Sakurai’s game and he has shown interest in both Minecraft and Doom.

Nintendo themselves on the other hand are not really much different. Their biggest supporters in terms of 3rd party at the moment are of course the trio of Sega, Capcom, and Namco, but I’d argue they are heavily relying on western studios such as Ubisoft, Bethesda, and eventually Microsoft. I’d say at this point, Western Suptudios are just as popular and justified for Smash picks as the main 3 Nintendo 3rd parties of the past.

While I’m not certain about Rayman, I definitely believe the Doom Slayer and Minecraft Steve are pretty good locks at this point.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'd like frozen Rayman to be a real hint, but I'm leaning more on coincidence. It just seems TOO weird to tease Rayman that way.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Man, that's a hell of a stretch if I've ever seen it. (I don't even see his torso!) No way that could be a teaser of any kind if the now coincidentally Ray-shaped cloud in K. Rool's trailer turned up bunk! I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not expecting anything Rayman-related this go-round, Smash or otherwise.
It's gonna be a long wait for the next big title from Michel Ancel (lest they pull another Rayman 3), & in the Smash community, the majority have more-or-less given up any hope for the limbless wonder post-spirit mode, instead directing their desires & passion towards more active competitors like Erdrick, Crash, Steve, Doomguy and so on.

Otherwise, I guess it's a cool spot, and I still maintain the hope, even if the chances are none too high.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I mean I can definitely see the resemblamce, but it's still a coincidence imo.

Although hypothetically it'd be hilarious and his trailer was just him smashing free from the ice.

D

Deleted member

Rayman is trying to be the new actor for Captain America by living like him.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Started playing Rayman Origins and yeah, I'm throwing my support behind Rayman!

I will be very happy if Rayman gets in and we get Castle Rock's music in the game. I never actually expected them to put Black Betty in the game (Heard about it second-hand) but I'm so happy it is

Top Bottom