• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah I know it's not impossible to get Ubi content without Rayman, but considering Sakurai is known to care about fan requests (like why we got Simon and Richter over Alucard and Banjo over Steve or chief) so its odd to think he'd go to Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed and Rabbids miis while ignoring Ratman, who's arguebly a decent fan request and most likely did nice on the ballot.

Like I said, it's possible this is all we're getting, but I'm cautiously optimistic that our limbless lad could be coming
It's surely possible. Most things could be possible.

But is it likely that we would get a Rayman supporting character hat without a Rayman hat?

Yes. There could be a full costume coming on it's own. It's still odd.

Then again it's odd to get Altair and not Ezio.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
It's surely possible. Most things could be possible.

But is it likely that we would get a Rayman supporting character hat without a Rayman hat?

Yes. There could be a full costume coming on it's own. It's still odd.

Then again it's odd to get Altair and not Ezio.
I meany whole theory is Rayman could come with more Rayman character themed miis rather than other Ubisoft costumes. Maybe they wanna do more than one third party per presentation on miis so they did a few early so we wouldn't have an overflow of only Ubisoft miis when he's revealed? Speculation purely but eh.

As for Altair, I think it's just a case of sakurai going with the character who started the series for representation with a Mii. Yeah ezio is more known, but idk, I guess sakurai preferred altair. In fact Japan is getting a manga soon for Assassin's Creed but it's based on black flag, so maybe Japan doesn't have an Assassin who they think is the most iconic? I'll admit I don't know much about the series nor how it is in Japan so I could be wrong. Either way, I don't think it's some conspiracy or a sign for Ezio. I can see doing Ubisoft miis and then a Ubisoft character later, but if an unrepped franchise is getting a fighter down the line and they know, they'd definitely save the miis from that franchise for that character reveal I'd think.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
People will always move the goalpost for characters they don't want in until they're finally in. We just gotta ignore it and be positive and campaign no matter what is how I look at it.

Look at Ridley, a character who was a stage hazard in smash 4 and who Sakurai publicly said "could not be added". Yet his fans kept going and going and now he's playable. So if a character that Sakurai publicly said "no" to can make it, then a limbless lad who isn't a big hit in Japan sure as hell can!
I bet there were dozens of people who were certain he'd never be playable, but flipped the moment he got announced and acted like they always knew he'd be in the game. Freaking bandwagoners...

It's pretty annoying seeing people shift the goalposts and act like they were never wrong. Anyway, if Rayman gets in it'll be nice to have music from his series and other Ubisoft franchises. Beyond Good & Evil has some great tracks, and I'm sure Assassin's Creed does too. What would surprise me most is if they put in some Prince of Persia....or even Buck Bumble music LMAO.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I bet there were dozens of people who were certain he'd never be playable, but flipped the moment he got announced and acted like they always knew he'd be in the game. Freaking bandwagoners...

It's pretty annoying seeing people shift the goalposts and act like they were never wrong. Anyway, if Rayman gets in it'll be nice to have music from his series and other Ubisoft franchises. Beyond Good & Evil has some great tracks, and I'm sure Assassin's Creed does too. What would surprise me most is if they put in some Prince of Persia....or even Buck Bumble music LMAO.
I understand why the 'flipping,' as you describe it, is potentially annoying.
Yet, the usual alternative (for many, since humans are predisposed to want to be right), is that the people don't flip, and rather than acknowledge being incorrect and enjoying the character, they just complain about the character.

I hope that people, for whatever value would support Rayman and appreciate his inclusion, should he be added.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Hell even I thought Ridley had no chance at all until he was added, but definitely wasn't mad when he was announced!

Buck bumble music would be DOPE! And yeah I definitely don't expect Rayman to get a ton of songs like Terry, but I could definitely see him bringing some other Ubisoft songs from Assassin's Creed and Rabbids!
Yet, the usual alternative (for many, since humans are predisposed to want to be right), is that the people don't flip, and rather than acknowledge being incorrect and enjoying the character, they just complain about the character.

I hope that people, for whatever value would support Rayman and appreciate his inclusion, should he be added.
I think Rayman would overall have positive reception. Back when the fake Rayman leak happened people were hyped and it was trending all day the next day even when announced fake. I don't expect much negative reception besides a few haters but every character has those.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Ubisoft has this coming up.
Whether or not we'll have a new Rayman shown isn't looking too hot at the moment but hey it's worth hoping
IIRC, Ancel's mentioned wanting to work on a new Rayman game after BG&E2, so I feel we're still some time away from a new game should it come. Still, pretty nice! I might as well check this out when it's streaming.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whether or not we'll have a new Rayman shown isn't looking too hot at the moment but hey it's worth hoping
As long as it isn't 50% Tom Clancy, 40% Just Dance and 10% other stuff, I guess. I have no idea what they could possibly show. At this point they're just here to maintain their attendance record.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
While I'm hopeful for Rayman's smash chances, it's a whole different story when it comes to expecting a new game. I wish I could say we might but I've been burned by these Ubi presentations one too many times :(

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Let’s look at it this way, with the Rayman Trademark renewed but Beyond Good & Evil 2 not even finished (yet). Rayman 4 or anyother Rayman related game won’t be coming soon, but I still believe it’s a Great Thing because this only bodes insanely well for Our Goal Finally being Reached of Super Smash Bros Ultimate X Rayman DLC as that’s the first step of getting Rayman Popular again and than as the DLC Character is added to the Roster than the Support officially kicks off for More Rayman 4 Demand.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Let’s look at it this way, with the Rayman Trademark renewed but Beyond Good & Evil 2 not even finished (yet). Rayman 4 or anyother Rayman related game won’t be coming soon, but I still believe it’s a Great Thing because this only bodes insanely well for Our Goal Finally being Reached of Super Smash Bros Ultimate X Rayman DLC as that’s the first step of getting Rayman Popular again and than as the DLC Character is added to the Roster than the Support officially kicks off for More Rayman 4 Demand.
I don't know if the trademark renewel necessarily means smash, but considering the trademark was renewed last year and they only gotta be renewed every 5 years, it's definitely gotta be something!

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if the trademark renewel necessarily means smash, but considering the trademark was renewed last year and they only gotta be renewed every 5 years, it's definitely gotta be something!
Yes it could be nothing, but to make a fair counter point we have seen this exact same scenario play out with the Banjo-Kazooie Trademark Renewal at the exact same time that occurred with both Banjo-Kazooie Trademark renewed in October/November 2018 vs Rayman Trademark renewed in October/November 2019 which both instances coincidentally are the same times Sakurai confirmed that the rosters we’re finalized by Nintendo in each case. It’s a weird but factually accurate points to take into account, what’s even more so is that the description of these trademarks (TEAS REVOKE/APP/CHANGE ADDR OF ATTY/DOM REP RECEIVED) than followed up with (ATTORNEY/DOM.REP.REVOKED AND/OR APPOINTED) indicates that there has been a deal struck with the Rayman IP between Ubisoft and with a 3rd-Party (ala/Another Gaming Company and/or a Merchandising Company). It’s the exact same with Banjo-Kazooie as it had the same Trademark description that was pended from November 2018 to Approved on June 10, 2019, a day before Banjo & Kazooie’s Reveal at Nintendo’s E3 Reveal

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah that's 100% GameFAQs lol. Personally I don't particularly like Jigglypuff or Pichu but honestly I forget they're in the game. But that's just how I go about it I guess.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yes it could be nothing, but to make a fair counter point we have seen this exact same scenario play out with the Banjo-Kazooie Trademark Renewal at the exact same time that occurred with both Banjo-Kazooie Trademark renewed in October/November 2018 vs Rayman Trademark renewed in October/November 2019 which both instances coincidentally are the same times Sakurai confirmed that the rosters we’re finalized by Nintendo in each case. It’s a weird but factually accurate points to take into account, what’s even more so is that the description of these trademarks (TEAS REVOKE/APP/CHANGE ADDR OF ATTY/DOM REP RECEIVED) than followed up with (ATTORNEY/DOM.REP.REVOKED AND/OR APPOINTED) indicates that there has been a deal struck with the Rayman IP between Ubisoft and with a 3rd-Party (ala/Another Gaming Company and/or a Merchandising Company). It’s the exact same with Banjo-Kazooie as it had the same Trademark description that was pended from November 2018 to Approved on June 10, 2019, a day before Banjo & Kazooie’s Reveal at Nintendo’s E3 Reveal
Oh damn, I didn't even realize that, I'll definitely look into it then!
Yeah that's 100% GameFAQs lol. Personally I don't particularly like Jigglypuff or Pichu but honestly I forget they're in the game. But that's just how I go about it I guess.
I gave up on gamefaqs long ago, I feel like they have mobs that hate all kinds of characters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh lord, TAnimal actually got acknowledged by RaymanForSmash for this one! :drohmy:

I gave up on gamefaqs long ago, I feel like they have mobs that hate all kinds of characters
You know what the kicker is? There is now a meme about every character being hated by some people, called "Everyone hates everyone", defined as follows:

Within the online community, every character on the roster has some group of people that hates them (even the characters that aren't that good), which naturally led to jokes exaggerating this by claiming nobody in the community actually likes anyone.
Some days I'm just glad I never run into any actual Smash fans in real life. The only reason I even use GameFAQs now is for its actual intended purpose: looking up games and their strategies.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
My god. This could be a multitude of things but it definitely makes sense for this to be related to Smash.
I want to believe so god damn much right now but going overboard is never a good thing.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I see the connections and it's worth keeping an eye on for a while. However, I think it's also important to consider any other possibilities. With the Banjo trademark, he also did get a statue last year besides his inclusion in Smash. Rayman is also supposed to have a cartoon coming out I believe, which could also indicate why that kind of trademark is being used.

I admit, it's really hard to keep my hopes in check

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I see the connections and it's worth keeping an eye on for a while. However, I think it's also important to consider any other possibilities. With the Banjo trademark, he also did get a statue last year besides his inclusion in Smash. Rayman is also supposed to have a cartoon coming out I believe, which could also indicate why that kind of trademark is being used.

Yeah, that Rayman show news was reported on October of last year, so it could be for that. We will have to see.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Did they ever confirm if that was a Rayman show or a Rayman inspired show? Kept seeing sources go back and forth on that

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman

Actually theres a bit of a counter argument to this as the Rayman IP was used on Mad TV (Animated version) in the Episode titled "The Adventures of TaunTaun / Everybody Loves Rayman" but looking into the Trademark History there’s no mention of Ubisoft lending the Rayman IP in 2012.
https://youtu.be/7oJZH70K6So
Must be more of the Gaming/Merchandising Rights for the Brand

(Edit) I would also add that the Rayman TV Show would actually be under a different Ownership Trademark from say like “Rayman Trademark of Nickelodeon Inc./Viacom” which would revolve around the TV Show exclusively and not be under “Rayman Trademark of Ubisoft Inc.” which has ownership to the Gaming/Merchandising Rights

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Did they ever confirm if that was a Rayman show or a Rayman inspired show? Kept seeing sources go back and forth on that
"Based on Rayman" is what was said and that's vague af. Despite that, the way I see it: If we're talking of the series IP, the copyright should probably matter regardless. If we're talking just the character, it depends on whether Rayman makes any appearance in the show, it could even be a brief cameo and I feel that copyright would still apply.

Actually theres a bit of a counter argument to this as the Rayman IP was used on Mad TV (Animated version) in the Episode titled "The Adventures of TaunTaun / Everybody Loves Rayman" but looking into the Trademark History there’s no mention of Ubisoft lending the Rayman IP in 2012.
Ah, a true classic. But this is supposed to be parody, therefore it falls under fair use and does not need an agreement, and why Mad, and to a greater extent, stuff like Family Guy or South Park get away with using these copyrighted characters all the time, and is also a reason why Rayman looks so stylized rather than looking like well, Rayman. Like I bet you Disney is not ok with the recent episodes of South Park and how they portray Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh but they can't do anything about it lmao

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

(Edit) I would also add that the Rayman TV Show would actually be under a different Ownership Trademark from say like “Rayman Trademark of Nickelodeon Inc./Viacom” which would revolve around the TV Show exclusively and not be under “Rayman Trademark of Ubisoft Inc.” which has ownership to the Gaming/Merchandising Rights
Yeah like ZoroCarlos stated, parody is fair use and no copyright deal needs to be made, though you might be right about a different studio would be making the copyright rather than Ubisoft so I'm not sure.
"Based on Rayman" is what was said and that's vague af. Despite that, the way I see it: If we're talking of the series IP, the copyright should probably matter regardless. If we're talking just the character, it depends on whether Rayman makes any appearance in the show, it could even be a brief cameo and I feel that copyright would still apply[/S]
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, this trademark could apply to the show, but at the same time it all depends on whether the show actually features Rayman or it's only Rayman inspired. That's a huge factor in it

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Ah, a true classic. But this is supposed to be parody, therefore it falls under fair use and does not need an agreement, and why Mad, and to a greater extent, stuff like Family Guy or South Park get away with using these copyrighted characters all the time, and is also a reason why Rayman looks so stylized rather than looking like well, Rayman. Like I bet you Disney is not ok with the recent episodes of South Park and how they portray Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh but they can't do anything about it lmao
I checked the trademarks of Rabbids, Watchdogs & Far Cry regarding that particular Trademark filing and none of them say they were renewedwith the same trademark as Rayman nor for any mention of 2020 or prior similar to Rayman’s renewal, as those shows have been announced with Rayman but none of them have those Trademark filings with Rayman. Again take anything with a Grain of Salt but by the looks of the information I looked into, none of them seem to indicate similar circumstances with Rayman

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So far nothing said it was related to Rayman, just be "lel wacky" like the UbiArt duology. I wouldn't even hold my breath on it being a Rayman cartoon at all.

I mean, we got a show for the Rabbids, so...

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
It's really strange seeing everything happening with Ubisoft and Rayman. No Rayman costume but got Rabbids and Altair, the bot's comments regarding Smash getting changed, questions about Smash in a Ubisoft survey getting removed, and now this trademark being incredibly similar to the Banjo's.

If we somehow get Rayman merch announced close to his possible reveal, then my hype thrusters will really get fired up.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
It's really strange seeing everything happening with Ubisoft and Rayman. No Rayman costume but got Rabbids and Altair, the bot's comments regarding Smash getting changed, questions about Smash in a Ubisoft survey getting removed, and now this trademark being incredibly similar to the Banjo's.

If we somehow get Rayman merch announced close to his possible reveal, then my hype thrusters will really get fired up.
My hype thrusters are already going and I can't shut them off

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to check the sources for the trademark stuff but I can't seem to find where this information is available. Did the person explain his sources ?

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to check the sources for the trademark stuff but I can't seem to find where this information is available. Did the person explain his sources ?
It’s more based on Speculation of a similar track record of dealings and trademarks based on awaiting the reveal of the product. Banjo-Kazooie’s trademark and Rayman’s Trademark seems to be identical of one another as both IP’s have been trademarked on a 8 to 9-Month time table with pendings that doesn’t match up with Merchandising but with a Secret collaboration with the 3rd-Party Collaborator

zriL

Smash Journeyman
It’s more based on Speculation of a similar track record of dealings and trademarks based on awaiting the reveal of the product. Banjo-Kazooie’s trademark and Rayman’s Trademark seems to be identical of one another as both IP’s have been trademarked on a 8 to 9-Month time table with pendings that doesn’t match up with Merchandising but with a Secret collaboration with the 3rd-Party Collaborator
I mean, where do you find this specific trademark information ? The "TEAS REVOKE/APP/CHANGE ADDR OF ATTY" things, the dates, etc.

This is what I wanted to check.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll just leave this here:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I'll just leave this here:

Like I said in the tweet, I don't think it really hurts his chances but it doesn't really increase them either, it's really neutral

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
At the very least we know that there's people within Ubisoft internally that really would love to do it. It's all a matter on the two companies making an agreement to finally get the limbless lad in

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought and this won’t have anything to do with the Rayman Trademark, but we never got a definitive Deconfirmation or Confirmation of this Rayman HP Bar photo from whomever posted it on 4Chan back in December 2019. I don’t like believing anything out of this website but I will admit there are only a handful of instances that made a Reality such as the ESRB Leak, and the Ken Masters leak prior to his Reveal. So I don’t want to believe anything That site but at the same time this Character art is nothing I’ve seen from Any Rayman Design or Artwork cover and the way how perfectly accurate this Photo is to the HP Mural is way too Convincing to shoot it down. So I’m 50/50 on it but who knows what will happen in a Month or more.
F852E286-0B28-4CE7-9221-6EC54BD7C8CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought and this won’t have anything to do with the Rayman Trademark, but we never got a definitive Deconfirmation or Confirmation of this Rayman HP Bar photo from whomever posted it on 4Chan back in December 2019. I don’t like believing anything out of this website but I will admit there are only a handful of instances that made a Reality such as the ESRB Leak, and the Ken Masters leak prior to his Reveal. So I don’t want to believe anything That site but at the same time this Character art is nothing I’ve seen from Any Rayman Design or Artwork cover and the way how perfectly accurate this Photo is to the HP Mural is way too Convincing to shoot it down. So I’m 50/50 on it but who knows what will happen in a Month or more.
View attachment 271889
It could've been an edit of this render:

It's the one that looks the closest to it that I know. But otherwise, I'm not sure, I haven't seen it elsewhere either. It looks pretty nice so if it is edited it'd be cool to see it non-blurry.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
It could've been an edit of this render:

It's the one that looks the closest to it that I know. But otherwise, I'm not sure, I haven't seen it elsewhere either. It looks pretty nice so if it is edited it'd be cool to see it non-blurry.
Yeah, If we had a HD Photo resolution app on our IPhones we could try to see if it’s fake or real

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
View attachment 271889
We never got a clear photo of it, but considering how long ago it happened, I doubt it's real. If it was it would have happened by now considering when this was "leaked".

Top Bottom