• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Being a dumb stupid child playing Brawl and making up character rosters for Smash and Rayman being among those, then I guess as I saw Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo grow throughout the years that idea strenghtened.
For me it was the moment I played Origins and realized how seamlessly some of these movements would translate to smash

Lyncario

Smash Ace
You're either gonna get a wall of text on why Banjo's counts and Rayman's magically doesn't or maybe he'll finally get the hint and go away hopefully.

Also random discussion but when was the moment you guys realized you wanted Rayman in smash?
When I first played SMash with Brawl. Rayman 3 was one of my favorite game at this point in time, and he was always with Nintendo for me, so it seemed obvious that he would be in a Nintendo crossover when I was like 7 or 8. So yeah, I wanted Rayman in Smash for as long as I played Smash.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
When I first played SMash with Brawl. Rayman 3 was one of my favorite game at this point in time, and he was always with Nintendo for me, so it seemed obvious that he would be in a Nintendo crossover when I was like 7 or 8. So yeah, I wanted Rayman in Smash for as long as I played Smash.
Am I fake if I didn't play Rayman 3 till the HD port?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You're either gonna get a wall of text on why Banjo's counts and Rayman's magically doesn't or maybe he'll finally get the hint and go away hopefully.

Also random discussion but when was the moment you guys realized you wanted Rayman in smash?
I never really thought about third parties in smash until Smash 4 dlc. It was Artsy Omni that made me actually think about Rayman in smash and how cool that would be.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Nah, you're a real one as long as you just like Rayman's games and want him in Smash.
Hell yeah, I won't stop campaigning until he's in a smash game someday!
Hey, I've never played 1 or 3, and I only played the 3DS version of 2. You're at least more real than me!
I'd say hop on that except for maybe Rayman 1, since I'd recommend waiting for Rayman Redemption to release! I'd play the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 though since the 3ds is plagued with sound issues and frame rate slow downs

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Has Rayman had any cross-promotional pop-cultured impact asides Rayman 2/McDonald’s Toys? I figured that since Banjo & Kazooie/Keebler’s commercial was the only thing I could find of Banjo, something with Rayman with only McDonalds related products back in 99’ I Believe. Thoughts?
0759E020-9413-4458-AF57-3686609E1ED7.jpeg

Banjo-Kazooie X Keebler’s (United States) Commercial
https://youtu.be/77P3_Iihkpg

{Edit} Here’s also am Ad of Rayman 2 X McDonald’s (France) Commercial

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Has Rayman had any cross-promotional pop-cultured impact asides Rayman 2/McDonald’s Toys? I figured that since Banjo & Kazooie/Keebler’s commercial was the only thing I could find of Banjo, something with Rayman with only McDonalds related products back in 99’ I Believe. Thoughts?
View attachment 271073

Banjo-Kazooie X Keebler’s (United States) Commercial
https://youtu.be/77P3_Iihkpg

{Edit} Here’s also am Ad of Rayman 2 X McDonald’s (France) Commercial
Not really promotional but the MAD TV show did a skit on Rayman and MAD is pretty well known.
https://youtu.be/KMA9WNUiRBw

(Fast forward to the 4:30 mark cause this is the only version I could find on YouTube that isn't choppy)

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how due to the lack of limbs it's kind of hard to make Rayman merch, but not really impossible; just need to get creative with it. I'm sure it's been mentioned before in here, but it makes me wonder how they'd do his amiibo if it happened.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone I just finished another idea for Rayman.

For his Down Air, Rayman performs a swift somersault that ends with him shooting his foot downward. It travels further than Mega Man's DAir and spikes people just as easily. Since he's attacking with his foot he delivers noticeable hitstun to victims, and the split-second somersault he performs prior to unleashing the full attack hits whoever's closely behind or closely above him. Foes hit by him during the startup aka the somersault will just be disrupted, unless they're below him in which case they'll endure the full attack.

Usually people expect him to do his groundpound from Origins/Legends, but since at least 21 characters have that already I figure I'd give an alternative. Most of his attacks from those games are perfect as-is, so I'm just filling in the blanks, tweaking a few moves and changing some others.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Hey everyone I just finished another idea for Rayman.

For his Down Air, Rayman performs a swift somersault that ends with him shooting his foot downward. It travels further than Mega Man's DAir and spikes people just as easily. Since he's attacking with his foot he delivers noticeable hitstun to victims, and the split-second somersault he performs prior to unleashing the full attack hits whoever's closely behind or closely above him. Foes hit by him during the startup aka the somersault will just be disrupted, unless they're below him in which case they'll endure the full attack.

Usually people expect him to do his groundpound from Origins/Legends, but since at least 21 characters have that already I figure I'd give an alternative. Most of his attacks from those games are perfect as-is, so I'm just filling in the blanks, tweaking a few moves and changing some others.
I always look forward to your Rayman moveset concepts, they always knock it out of the park! And this one is no exception!

Also since people often ask how the Amiibo would work, my friend RaySober on Twitter had you all covered!
https://twitter.com/RaySober/status/1220692418930016258?s=19

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I always look forward to your Rayman moveset concepts, they always knock it out of the park! And this one is no exception!

Also since people often ask how the Amiibo would work, my friend RaySober on Twitter had you all covered!
https://twitter.com/RaySober/status/1220692418930016258?s=19
Thank you, I'm very happy to see people appreciating the ideas.

As for the link, that's very good! RaySober made it look so simple, the amiibo issue isn't a problem at all with a little creativity.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Just realized, I think with the Trademark ™ Renawal, there’s also the idea that Nintendo can use the VA of the character from Ubisoft’s vault of Rayman Games like Rayman 2: The Great Escape as an integration to the Playable Rayman Character. Why I say that is because it bodes similarly to the exact same point of how Nintendo reused the Banjo & Kazooie VA from the Original Banjo-Kazooie Game back when Banjo-Kazooie trademark renewed back in November 2018, so it would be that VA David Gasman’s grunts and moaning and Yeah Recordings can bowed well to the Characters chances because of this Trademark

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I was inspired by the Ridley Amiibo. It has shockwaves on it as supports, so I decided to use those in a crafty way.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Just realized, I think with the Trademark ™ Renawal, there’s also the idea that Nintendo can use the VA of the character from Ubisoft’s vault of Rayman Games like Rayman 2: The Great Escape as an integration to the Playable Rayman Character. Why I say that is because it bodes similarly to the exact same point of how Nintendo reused the Banjo & Kazooie VA from the Original Banjo-Kazooie Game back when Banjo-Kazooie trademark renewed back in November 2018, so it would be that VA David Gasman’s grunts and moaning and Yeah Recordings can bowed well to the Characters chances because of this Trademark
As much as I'd love it to be true, they're most likely revising the trademark for something to do with a game rather than just some voice clips, though I still feel like he's likely!
I didn't see enough concepts of Rayman amiibos, so I made my own. I want to put that argument to bed already. Let me know what you guys think!

View attachment 271216
That amiibo would be so dope! Especially with the swirling fist effect!

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd love it to be true, they're most likely revising the trademark for something to do with a game rather than just some voice clips, though I still feel like he's likely!

That amiibo would be so dope! Especially with the swirling fist effect!
Thanks! I wouldn't think the amiibo would be too tough to make work, so I never quite understood the argument that Rayman couldn't make it in because of that.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah, in truth I always felt that was a silly argument regardless, if anything was stopping Rayman from getting in, I don't think it'd be the amiibo.
People will always move the goalpost for characters they don't want in until they're finally in. We just gotta ignore it and be positive and campaign no matter what is how I look at it.

Look at Ridley, a character who was a stage hazard in smash 4 and who Sakurai publicly said "could not be added". Yet his fans kept going and going and now he's playable. So if a character that Sakurai publicly said "no" to can make it, then a limbless lad who isn't a big hit in Japan sure as hell can!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've said this before, but the more I think about it, the more it makes perfect sense.
I think Rayman is a Mii Costume with a music track.
Hear me out! I love Rayman and platformers as much as anyone, but I feel like Rayman's place right now is as a Deluxe Mii Brawler costume. Most of his moves in Origins and Legends are extremely similar to the generic punches and kicks of the Mii Brawler.
Keep in mind that this will be a very special costume, as it would completely change the model of the Brawler to fit Rayman's lack of limbs, but the hitboxes would be the same.

In fact, I will make a bolder prediction. I think Rayman's Mii Costume will be in the very next wave of DLC that comes with Spring Man the ARMS fighter.

Would youse be ok with that? It'd be a unique Rayman model like Sans and Cuphead instead of just a hood for a Mii.

Staarih

Smash Master
I didn't see enough concepts of Rayman amiibos, so I made my own. I want to put that argument to bed already. Let me know what you guys think!
Great job! Pretty much how I expect a Rayman amiibo to end up, by using air streams, "blasts" and "swooshes" much like with Ridley's base to hold his limbs in place.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I've said this before, but the more I think about it, the more it makes perfect sense.
Hear me out! I love Rayman and platformers as much as anyone, but I feel like Rayman's place right now is as a Deluxe Mii Brawler costume. Most of his moves in Origins and Legends are extremely similar to the generic punches and kicks of the Mii Brawler.
Keep in mind that this will be a very special costume, as it would completely change the model of the Brawler to fit Rayman's lack of limbs, but the hitboxes would be the same.

In fact, I will make a bolder prediction. I think Rayman's Mii Costume will be in the very next wave of DLC that comes with Spring Man the ARMS fighter.

Would youse be ok with that? It'd be a unique Rayman model like Sans and Cuphead instead of just a hood for a Mii.
I mean, I wouldn't mind, but cutting down his moveset to just Origins/Legends wouldn't be doing him enough justice if you ask me. I don't see why it couldn't be done, but it's also pretty odd. If they were just going to make him a Mii Costume anyway, why not release it with the Ubisoft costumes released prior?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I mean, I wouldn't mind, but cutting down his moveset to just Origins/Legends wouldn't be doing him enough justice if you ask me. I don't see why it couldn't be done, but it's also pretty odd. If they were just going to make him a Mii Costume anyway, why not release it with the Ubisoft costumes released prior?
Yeah, there's no evidence to suggest he'd more likely be a Mii at all. If he was gonna be a Mii I don't see why he wouldn't have come with other Ubisoft Miis. Also he does alot more than punch and kick if you play other games besides origins and legends like you said.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
If Rayman becomes playable, I think he will mostly be based on Origins/Legends. That has been the case for his small appearances in Smash 4 and Ultimate so far.
It would be a shame, because they could use a lot of cool things from Rayman 2, 3 and even Arena. It would be a crime not to have the plum in his moveset. And I think the Hoodstomper is the coolest possible Final Smash they could give him.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
If Rayman becomes playable, I think he will mostly be based on Origins/Legends. That has been the case for his small appearances in Smash 4 and Ultimate so far.
It would be a shame, because they could use a lot of cool things from Rayman 2, 3 and even Arena. It would be a crime not to have the plum in his moveset. And I think the Hoodstomper is the coolest possible Final Smash they could give him.
yeah his movements and standard attacks will most likely be based around that for sure, but I feel like his specials will pull from the other games, though Murphy could probably be a side special or help him with some moves

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

View attachment 271216
The amiibo argument was one that I never cared about, as it didnt really make any sense (because creative workarounds like this are what breed interesting creations).

But seeing this done as well as you did it, I'm even more hyped.

Honestly... this sounds like a huge stretch.
I understand its easy to say that as a fan of the character, but there are a few key points to what I personally think makes the Mii upgrades what they will be.

- Non expressive faces will work just fine
- the body proportions fit close enough to be exact
- The character is more or less without any noticable gimmick

I cannot see Rayman fit any of that criteria. A static face on him would be odd (but that's debatable I suppose).
His body size always seemed significantly different than the Mii's (much larger, and much different proportions, I would think).
And most importantly... Rayman has a pretty clear character motif.

Quite frankly, this is one instance where I'd rather the character just not be added if they were instead to do what you suggested.
The Mii upgrades are great because they arent some derp imposter version of the characters- they feel like bonus characters actually getting into the game.
If Rayman got this treatment, it would lessen my thoughts on the value of upgraded Mii costumes at all, and I would no longer hold them in high regards.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
The amiibo argument is easily debunked but I can say with confidence that Rayman's lack of limbs is definitely the reason he lacks much merchandise outside of amiibo. I can't wait until we invent some weird magnetism device that keeps the parts afloat so I can own a cute Rayman plush

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The amiibo argument was one that I never cared about, as it didnt really make any sense (because creative workarounds like this are what breed interesting creations).

But seeing this done as well as you did it, I'm even more hyped.

Honestly... this sounds like a huge stretch.
I understand its easy to say that as a fan of the character, but there are a few key points to what I personally think makes the Mii upgrades what they will be.

- Non expressive faces will work just fine
- the body proportions fit close enough to be exact
- The character is more or less without any noticable gimmick

I cannot see Rayman fit any of that criteria. A static face on him would be odd (but that's debatable I suppose).
His body size always seemed significantly different than the Mii's (much larger, and much different proportions, I would think).
And most importantly... Rayman has a pretty clear character motif.

Quite frankly, this is one instance where I'd rather the character just not be added if they were instead to do what you suggested.
The Mii upgrades are great because they arent some derp imposter version of the characters- they feel like bonus characters actually getting into the game.
If Rayman got this treatment, it would lessen my thoughts on the value of upgraded Mii costumes at all, and I would no longer hold them in high regards.
Yeah, I think we're at the point that Rayman is either a fighter or just gonna stay a spirit.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah, I think we're at the point that Rayman is either a fighter or just gonna stay a spirit.
Eh- I could still see them making him a Mii Costume (though honestly that would be odd given the last Packs we got).
But I would be shocked if it were an upgraded costume, not the derpy terrible kind. Because all basic Mii Costume's are terrible.

It really is odd that they had a Rabbids costume last time.
I reckon that this will be used by people to say Rayman was an obvious pick, should he get revealed soon.
LIke with the ARMS reveal.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
I feel like the exclusion of Rayman in smash is one of the strangest cases in Smash History. Getting multiple trophies in Smash 4 for a series that was otherwise completely unrepresented in the game at all. The ONLY third party series to ever receive this treatment. Nintendo/Sakurai making a tweet specifically about the inclusion of the trophy making it even weirder. The huge boon in popularity after the Artsy Omni leak. Then the spirit happens. Then the Ubisoft costumes happening with Rayman nowhere to be found. But Assassin's Creed gets one!? All this leading to...nothing? Something about it feels so... off. Like the negotiations have happened and fell apart. Or they keep dancing around it. I don't know, but it all gets me thinking that Rayman might be on the way. Or could have been.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I feel like the exclusion of Rayman in smash is one of the strangest cases in Smash History. Getting multiple trophies in Smash 4 for a series that was otherwise completely unrepresented in the game at all. The ONLY third party series to ever receive this treatment. Nintendo/Sakurai making a tweet specifically about the inclusion of the trophy making it even weirder. The huge boon in popularity after the Artsy Omni leak. Then the spirit happens. Then the Ubisoft costumes happening with Rayman nowhere to be found. But Assassin's Creed gets one!? All this leading to...nothing? Something about it feels so... off. Like the negotiations have happened and fell apart. Or they keep dancing around it. I don't know, but it all gets me thinking that Rayman might be on the way. Or could have been.
Mostly true- but there was at least one other third party character who was a trophy in Sm4sh. That running man.... whatever his name was.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Mostly true- but there was at least one other third party character who was a trophy in Sm4sh. That running man.... whatever his name was.
Commander Video.
But now that Spirits largely replaced trophies, Shovel Knight and Shantae have multiple spirits for their series, so they're roughly in the same boat as Rayman.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Commander Video.
But now that Spirits largely replaced trophies, Shovel Knight and Shantae have multiple spirits for their series, so they're roughly in the same boat as Rayman.
Perhaps, but being in Sm4sh ahead of Ultimate was even more odd.
We have dozens of third party spirits from unrepresented series in Smash Ultimate.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Rayman is a much more iconic character than the Runner and he is owned by one of the biggest video game companies in the industry and not an indie dev

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Rayman is a much more iconic character than the Runner and he is owned by one of the biggest video game companies in the industry and not an indie dev
That's all true- and also irrelevant. The point was made that Rayman was the only third party trophy in Sm4sh, which was untrue, and thus corrected.

I'm not stating Rayman isn't more important.

Honestly I think we will be getting Rayman- the Mii costume event from Byleth was very odd.

Then again, since Brawl, I've thought the six third party characters we would get /should get would be:
1- Sonic
2- Banjo and Kazooie
3- Pacman
4- Megaman
5- Bomberman
6- Rayman

Honestly I think it's still possible to get all six of them by the end of Ultimate. Clearly I have desires for the cartoon characters.

And since I'm going on the comments now- I do like a lot of humanoid characters, especially now since we've deviated so much from the cartoon since Brawl. I'm a huge personal fan of Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Scorpion, and other icons who have transcended the genre of gaming.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
That's all true- and also irrelevant. The point was made that Rayman was the only third party trophy in Sm4sh, which was untrue, and thus corrected.

I'm not stating Rayman isn't more important.

Honestly I think we will be getting Rayman- the Mii costume event from Byleth was very odd.

Then again, since Brawl, I've thought the six third party characters we would get /should get would be:
1- Sonic
2- Banjo and Kazooie
3- Pacman
4- Megaman
5- Bomberman
6- Rayman

Honestly I think it's still possible to get all six of them by the end of Ultimate. Clearly I have desires for the cartoon characters.

And since I'm going on the comments now- I do like a lot of humanoid characters, especially now since we've deviated so much from the cartoon since Brawl. I'm a huge personal fan of Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Scorpion, and other icons who have transcended the genre of gaming.
Yeah I know it's not impossible to get Ubi content without Rayman, but considering Sakurai is known to care about fan requests (like why we got Simon and Richter over Alucard and Banjo over Steve or chief) so its odd to think he'd go to Ubisoft for Assassin's Creed and Rabbids miis while ignoring Ratman, who's arguebly a decent fan request and most likely did nice on the ballot.

Like I said, it's possible this is all we're getting, but I'm cautiously optimistic that our limbless lad could be coming

Top Bottom