• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The one that would help the most is Shantae, since her design screams "Japanese appeal!" due to WF emulating foreign devs for decades, although the only obstacle is a complete Schrodinger's Cat that nobody can agree about.

As far as comfort zones go, we should be thankful that we don't have anyone from the Mario Kart staff influencing things. :ultmario::ultpeach:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Let’s not forget that:

- Ubisoft is a Triple AAA Development and Distributing Company that has 35-Years of History along with 25-Years of Nintendo Games all across the Many Consoles from N64 - Gameboy’s (Color & Advance) - GameCube - Wii - DS & 3DS - Wii U - Switch which is equivalent to SEGA, Capcom, Namco, Konami & Square Enix level of Size and Scoop of Importance and Impact of the Gaming Industry which is Unquestionably a Global Recognition.

- Rayman has been in all of those Systems (specifically speaking with the Than-New Titles & Ports) and is an N64 Icon who surpassed Banjo & Kazooie for longevity of a Relevant Gaming Character. There is no doubt relevance to Characters that have laid dormant out of the spotlight as proven with DLC Additions like Hero, Banjo & Kazooie & Terry Bogard. Also the selection of DLC is based on Different Cultures of Historical Video Game Characters in different regions of importance such as Joker for Europe, Hero for Japanese and Asian Territories, Banjo & Kazooie for North America, and Terry Bogard/SNK with South America/Hispanic Cultures of Video Game fan-favorites. Rayman would no doubt Top the Charts of European Classic VG Characters and the Contribution that Character has done for the Gaming Community, which is what Sakurai’s Job is as He studies the Characters/Series he’s adding courtesy from Nintendo’s Collaborative Triple AAA Partners which is what Microsoft, SNK, Square Enix & SEGA/Atlus did for Fighter Pass Volume 1.

- When Ubisoft lended Assassin’s Creed & Rabbids Mii Costumes but no Rayman related Content, it means that Nintendo and Ubisoft are prepping for another collaboration for a Super Smash Bros Ultimate X Rayman Reveal, otherwise why go through a Mii Costume deal but no Fighter Addition? Because it’s a Big Reveal for them to do a Grand Reveal of a Nintendo/Ubisoft Collaboration in a Nintendo Direct-esque presentation for Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I don't know why I've never posted here before. I think Rayman should absolutely be in smash. It's really weird to me that he still isn't in. I thought he was the next "no brainer" after MegaMan and PacMan. I think the Bayonetta glitch is likely 2B if it's anything but you never know. What do you guys think Rayman's chances are for the pass? I hope there's something convincing that I haven't heard! Oh, and can I be added to the supporter list?
I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole Bayonetta glitch meaning a new character but if it does it's probably 2B since her body type fits Bayonetta.

For a random question of the day, do you guys remember when you realized Rayman would be a great fit for smash?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure I'm sold on the whole Bayonetta glitch meaning a new character but if it does it's probably 2B since her body type fits Bayonetta.

For a random question of the day, do you guys remember when you realized Rayman would be a great fit for smash?
After playing Rayman Legends - I had played Rayman Origins before, but the Wii U version of Legends seemed like the game's definitive version, and it got me thinking that it gives Rayman most of a potential Smash moveset on its own. (plus, my only exposure to Rayman so far has been through Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends)

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

I'd always hoped he'd be in, maybe gave it more thought around the time Brawl released but, it was more when I played Origins that I noticed how seamlessly they could transfer his moveset from there to smash. In fact, during the Smash 4 Ballot, I voted for him with that exact same reasoning lol. "You can take the moves 1:1 from the games!"

Lyncario

Smash Ace

When I first played Brawl, my first Smash game. I was already a fan of Rayman at the time, and not seeing him in felt weird, especialy since I played Rayman 3 so much.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

if i recall correctly , it was around the Smash ballot that i started getting interested with the idea of Rayman in Smash. He has always been a character close to me , and was pretty much on every console I owned , especially the Nintendo ones.
So seeing him only get a trophy was a bit disapointing , even if it was a first good step.

I don't like saying that a character is a no-brainer for Smash , but for me he would just fit in perfectly. As to Ubisoft , there's no way Michel Ancel or Ubisoft would say no to getting a character in Smash , so they would be easier to negotiate this.
The worst part is pretty much Sakurai needing to take the plane to see them but hey... He did it for Microsoft , and I don't even know if he was sure he could get Banjo or not when he did.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

I played Origins on the Wii in 2012, which officially made me a full-blown Rayfan (I explored the series history online, I went back & played Rayman 3, & later bought Rayman 1 off the 3DS eshop), & naturally was hyped for the then-recently announced Legends.
The following year saw the announcement of Smash 4, along with a boost in guest characters, so I had it set in my head that Rayman was/is someone I wanted to see in Smash.

It was a perfect little string of circumstances really. At the time, I didn't even really look that deep into moveset potential or what have you, I just wanted to see one of my new favorite game heroes join the battle.

Last edited:

ZetaXO

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4787-7862-7678
if i recall correctly , it was around the Smash ballot that i started getting interested with the idea of Rayman in Smash. He has always been a character close to me , and was pretty much on every console I owned , especially the Nintendo ones.
So seeing him only get a trophy was a bit disapointing , even if it was a first good step.

I don't like saying that a character is a no-brainer for Smash , but for me he would just fit in perfectly. As to Ubisoft , there's no way Michel Ancel or Ubisoft would say no to getting a character in Smash , so they would be easier to negotiate this.
The worst part is pretty much Sakurai needing to take the plane to see them but hey... He did it for Microsoft , and I don't even know if he was sure he could get Banjo or not when he did.
In the latest Sakurai Colomn, he said that "restrictions are being put on business travel", so
"It’s particularly difficult to meet with partners who are faraway."
He added "In my case, specifically, I was scheduled to give a presentation to a publisher on
our plans for a certain new fighter; however the key parties were not able to get together, so it’s been postponed indefinitely. "

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
In the latest Sakurai Colomn, he said that "restrictions are being put on business travel", so
"It’s particularly difficult to meet with partners who are faraway."
He added "In my case, specifically, I was scheduled to give a presentation to a publisher on
our plans for a certain new fighter; however the key parties were not able to get together, so it’s been postponed indefinitely. "
if this is real? then that might mean our next fighter could be from a non japanese company!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I can't decide if I think the Ubisoft costumes increase Rayman's chances because there's now Ubisoft costumes but the mascot himself is missing, or lowers them because if Ubisoft was getting a fighter the costumes would have come with that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
MrMcNuts MrMcNuts I always thought Rayman would be a great addition, but back in the Brawl days people shot him down cuz they assumed he couldn't do any short ranged attacks, plus the Rabbids were overshadowing him HARD. Luckily Origins came out and shut ALL of those dumb "reasons" down with common sense and irrefutable proof. It also did the work of being a great template for a Smash Bros moveset, and speaking of which I have a new idea for Rayman's...

Neutral Special: Magic Fist

Rayman uses his long lost attack from Rayman 2! By pressing B, Rayman can sling an orb of light from his fists and launch 2 at maximum, meaning that no more than that amount can be onscreen at once. The orb does little damage to enemies and objects, but it can be angled.

In fact, the shot can be angled in 3 directions: Forward, Diagonal Up and Diagonal Down. Since you're able to shoot 2 at maximum, you can potentially trip foes up by firing an orb in one direction and immediately firing in another. And even though Rayman can't charge this attack, it comes with one more unique property.

In fact, if the orb hits a surface, it becomes stronger and faster with each bounce! Colliding with Surfaces, Reflectors and Shields causes the orb to become more powerful, changing color depnding on its power grade as well as faster; while it bounces off the aforementioned things, it'll explode if it touches Items, Foes and Destructible Objects. It can ricochet up to 2 times, going from White to Blue to Gold, referencing the power grades of the attack from Rayman 2. While the White orb's damage is laughable, the Gold orb boasts a dramatic jump in speed and power along with a surprisingly large explosion; it is however difficult to hit someone with the Gold orb and so the reward is higher. Since you'll typically have some ground beneath you when using this, it's best to fire it Diagonally Downwards to get to a Gold orb faster, since it'll typically bounce off the ground. That direction is also good for edge guarding, plus Diagonal Up and Diagonal Down are EXCELLENT for tight corridors. Here's a diagram recap of what I wrote:
Hope y'all like it.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
If that whole thing about meeting with a publisher far away is true, this could bode well for us!

Time for another question though!

If Rayman got to bring an assist trophy with him, who from his series do you think it should be?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
If that whole thing about meeting with a publisher far away is true, this could bode well for us!

If Rayman got to bring an assist trophy with him, who from his series do you think it should be?
i always thought Barbara would be an assist trophy, but then i started considering the rabbids who can work similar to the cuccos.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Since Arms is Coming to Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC Fighter 6, it looks like “Spirits Deconfirmed DLC” is now Thrown out the Window.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Since Arms is Coming to Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC Fighter 6, it looks like “Spirits Deconfirmed DLC” is now Thrown out the Window.
To be fair, we don't know whether or not it's a character who's a spirit. They showed 15 possible characters, 5 of which are spirits in game. I'm really hoping it's one of the spirits though cause they're cool characters.

Mr. Dark would be cool. He could keep opponents on their toes with his attacks.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
It would be really cool if the ARMS character and Rayman were revealed in the same way Ken and Incineroar were revealed.
That actually might be the case as Nintendo revealed Arm’s (which I’m assuming is gonna be the Fan-Favorites of Spring-Man, Ribbon Girl, Twintella, 5-Others as an Bowser Jr./Koopalings & Inkling Alts with Byleth VA’s) as Fighter(s) 6 prematurely and not as a Grand Reveal like the previous Reveals (or All of them for that matter) and even announced the Date of June as a Reveal for how they play which is unusual… unless they are Gonna have a Big “Unexpected” Reveal of the Collaboration partner as Sakurai has stated which is a Giant red flag towards a Western Character (ie. Rayman) being looked at for a Grand Reveal for the Company’s (Ubisoft) Mascot. As a Matter of fact I have this funny idea that this potential reveal looks to be a Ken/Incineroar Sequel Reveal style Trailer where you have a Arms Battle Royale of all the Arms Characters duking it out as they showcase the 8 Popular and Beloved Arms Characters with one being victorious, until a New Challenger Arrives that has a Longer Reach towards Attacks that the Arms Gang didn’t have as you see the Reveal of Rayman “Joins The Legends” and both Arms and Rayman collide with Gameplay shown of both Arms and Rayman gameplay as they show the Super Smash Bros Ultimate X Arms X Rayman logos and the climactic post logos show Rayman celebrating his Addition in Ultimate, till he sees the Mii Costume Rabbids behind him ready to challenge Rayman while he SMH’s in embarrassment of his next opponent which each cutscene sequence is similar to the Ken/Incineroar Reveal but in a Different setting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wouldn’t an ARMS character help Rayman in a way? I feel like they need to tinker on some long range mechanics for an ARMS character to work and be balanced and that could work as a basis for Rayman as well. I’m no technical person so I dunno haha!
A mix of them and Sukapon seems like a happy medium to take.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Saying an ARMS character deconfirms Rayman because they both have long range capabilities is like saying Ridley deconfirms K. Rool cause they're both big mean evil lizard creatures.
Or:ultduckhunt:with:ultbanjokazooie:because they're mammal and bird duos or:ultken:with:ult_terry:because Terry is Ken but a trucker.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Or:ultduckhunt:with:ultbanjokazooie:because they're mammal and bird duos or:ultken:with:ult_terry:because Terry is Ken but a trucker.
Well that too, but I used the Ridley K. Rool example cause they both happened within the same speculation time-frame, and someone above argued that Rayman is deconfirmed within this fighter pass.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
It’s not Impossible to suggest that the Arms Mechanics/Character can also be used for the Basis of Rayman Design mechanics during DLC Production of the Arms Character(’s) Similar to:
- The Belmont’s/Byleth
- Duck Hunt/Banjo & Kazooie
- Mii Swordfighter/Hero
- Pirahna Plant/Joker (which is ironic to the Similar situation that would no doubt be the basis of Arms/Rayman DLC Production)
I see this as a Strong significance of Evidence that we can expect come the reveal of whoever (or All of them for that matter) the Arm’s Character(s) are.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say that, given the way ARMS characters fight, in comparison to Rayman, they really would make sense being in a single trailer. Of course, that's just wishful thinking (I don't expect it to happen at all lol), but it'd be cool to see something that's basically "Look how much we can stretch our arms!" followed by "Arms? Who needs those?"

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say that, given the way ARMS characters fight, in comparison to Rayman, they really would make sense being in a single trailer. Of course, that's just wishful thinking (I don't expect it to happen at all lol), but it'd be cool to see something that's basically "Look how much we can stretch our arms!" followed by "Arms? Who needs those?"
I honestly believe that is the case to be Legit Reveal simply Because of:
A. Sakurai was supposed to Go meet with the Owners of the Next DLC Addition who looks to be a Western Character based on his Explanation.
B. The Ubisoft Mii Costumes are clear indicators that Nintendo and Ubisoft looks to have Talked recently for their own Character Series Reps to be in but no Rayman content with them.
C. As blatantly Similar of a Concept of Both Rayman and The Arms Characters are it’s not Secret that All Characters ever created in Super Smash Bros are a carbon copy of each other, even so going from:
- Luigi is a Clone of Mario in Super Smash Bros 64
- Ganondorf is a Clone of Captain Falcon as Moveset design mechanics in Super Smash Bros Melee
- Young Link, Toon Link & OG Link are Clones of each other in Melee & Brawl
- Pichu is unquestionably a Clone of Pikachu in Melee
- Dr. Mario a Clone of Mario in Melee, 4 & Ultimate
- Echoes are the definition of Copy and Paste More Characters, hell even both Belmont’s were revealed simultaneously
- Joker’s mechanics comes from Pirahna Plant who both are DLC Characters and got revealed back to back prior to the Release of Ultimate are the Best examples of one made after another which can (and more likely) be the Same for Arms being the Mechanics for Rayman

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I also just want to say that the idea that Rayman and an ARMS character can't coexist in the same pass is a load of ass when the last pass had 3 ****ing JRPG guys that have swords or swing their weapons like swords in the case of Joker's dagger.

Ornl

Smash Ace
The Ridley/K.Rool comparison isn't about gameplay.
The 3 FP1 JRPG comparison isn't about gameplay.
I think comparing Joker/Hero/Bileth melee weapons isn't as fair as the very similar Brawler technique between Rayman/ARMS rep.

According to Sakurai, 2014
- It’s important to have something only that character can do. Every character needs to have a reason to be in. The decision takes into account if there is no conflict with other characters.
"No matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."
According to Reggie, 2018
"Mr. Sakurai wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros environment. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking".

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
The Ridley/K.Rool comparison isn't about gameplay.
The 3 FP1 JRPG comparison isn't about gameplay.
I think comparing Joker/Hero/Bileth melee weapons isn't as fair as the very similar Brawler technique between Rayman/ARMS rep.

K.Rrool / Ridley According to Sakurai, 2014
- It’s important to have something only that character can do. Every character needs to have a reason to be in. The decision takes into account if there is no conflict with other characters.
"No matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."
"Mr. Sakurai wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros environment. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking".
You missed the point. We are saying that ARMS and Rayman will in no way coincide in gameplay beyond that superficial long range punch thing, that's just being narrow-minded. Rayman has helicopter hair, and has no limbs, and those two qualities already separate him GREATLY from the rest of the cast, and that's without mentioning his other potential moves like the plum, plunger gun and whatever they would hypothetically decide to give him, name one ARMS character that has all of that. Even if they shared that one punching quality, there's like so many instances in this game alone of similar moves between characters, like Charizard's Flamethrower vs Bowser's Fire Breath, and Ryu and Terry both having the same gimmick with the fighting game inputs, and so on and so on.

Sakurai is not going to look at Rayman and be like "Nah, we already did ARMS" that's not how he rolls, the man is a genius, he works wonders with characters, he made a dumb potted plant a character for crying out loud, do you really think "long range punch" is going to stop him? If Rayman doesn't make it in, it was not because of ARMS.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
If Rayman doesn't make it in, it was not because of ARMS, but ARMS could reveal that the variety of different FP2 Fighters wasn't thought/planned to include Rayman. Given the eventual requirement (/specifications /charter)* to offer unique and different moveset identities, having an ARMS Character could mean that, among the 5 other Characters in a row in the same pack, there is no other character whose original and identity moveset results in long-range fists. Which would exclude the overall vision of having ARMS and Rayman together. Charizard/Bowser didn't come in the same SSB. Ryu/Terry didn't come in the same FP.

*According to Sakurai, 2014
- It’s important to have something only that character can do. Every character needs to have a reason to be in. The decision takes into account if there is no conflict with other characters. "No matter how suited a character may be to fighting, if I cannot meaningfully distinguish them from other characters, or create fun unique characteristics of the characters, then that’s the end for them."

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
If you're looking at unique attributes, Rayman can throw all of his limbs out, not just his hands. He has helicopter hair (which works more like a descending peach float, rather than a K Rool rise), bouncy energy balls, he could swing on rings, he could plant seeds to create platforms, he could use plums that bounce around...

There's plenty that Rayman can do that no other character has done or can do. You just need to know more about the series, I guess.

I would also suggest taking a look at Rayman in Smash Flash 2, as an example. It's pretty unique, and his moveset's use of a plum is pretty inspired.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Anyone can make a list of Rayman's other moves.
Anyone can list the differences between Rayman and another character.
But there is now 1 very important similarity with ARMS.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Anyone can make a list of Rayman's other moves.
Anyone can list the differences between Rayman and another character.
But there is now 1 very important similarity with ARMS.
A lot of characters have similarities to each other. Hero uses a sword and shield just like Link; that didn't rule Hero out. Bayonetta is an agile woman with guns like Zero Suit Samus; that didn't rule Bayonetta out. One or two vague similarities don't suddenly mean that a character is ineligible, especially since we don't even know who the ARMS character is going to be. (Spring Man seems like he'd play quite differently from Min-Min, Max Brass, or Helix)

Last edited:
Top Bottom