• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's still financial benefit from the IP to Ubisoft, but a lot of the quality control and depth that Ancel gave it may truly be gone.

It feels like Rayman's sadly fallen prey to the same situation that many various other platformer characters have in that they're too valuable to a big company for a smaller studio or indie group to get the chance to develop for but also not profitable enough to be major priority by the corporation that owns them. Thrown in the fact that Ubisoft's major game focus is not anywhere near the genre that Rayman's in, and (like Banjo Kazooie with Microsoft) you have franchise that might be in permanent stasis.

Its a pity too given that I think the current environment is one where another 2D or 3D Rayman title could really sell, especially on Switch.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say one thing: there's still yet to be anything to disprove the current Rayman game rumors, when there's still at least one more Ubisoft Forward ahead of us.

If there's nothing then, double your efforts to get him in Smash, no matter what year it is. At least he'll be immortalized then.

Edit: Also, RaymanTogether made these statements.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Honestly I feel like this may be it for the Rayman franchise. Ancel was probably the one guy within Ubisoft who cared about the series and now he's gone.

Sad.
If banjo can come back from the dead so can rayman

As of recently he's gained alot more support for Smash despite what people say on the Newcomer speculation becoming one of the top requests, and there's alot of demand for him to come back. It'll take a while but he'll be back someday

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

As of recently he's gained alot more support for Smash despite what people say on the Newcomer speculation becoming one of the top requests, and there's alot of demand for him to come back. It'll take a while but he'll be back someday
Yeah, plus with :ultbanjokazooie: having gotten in, a lot of the fan attention they got before has been diverted towards other characters, like Rayman himself.

Not to mention that Ryemanni has provided some killer fan games that sold folks on his appeal again.

The key thing is to keep the momentum going after Ultimate ends. Snowballing and stuff.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
...except that Nuts & Bolts is still Banjo's last game back in 2008?

Just because a character is in Smash Bros. doesn't mean that they're "back from the dead", otherwise F-Zero, Punch-Out!! and Ice Climber are all thriving Nintendo IPs because they're in Smash. Until the day comes and Microsoft/Rare announce an all new Banjo game (And quite frankly I don't really expect that to happen), I still consider the Banjo IP dead and buried.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah, plus with :ultbanjokazooie: having gotten in, a lot of the fan attention they got before has been diverted towards other characters, like Rayman himself.

Not to mention that Ryemanni has provided some killer fan games that sold folks on his appeal again.

The key thing is to keep the momentum going after Ultimate ends. Snowballing and stuff.
Exactly, some people on here act like this is the only site valid in determining how much support a character has, which is bogus cause sites like twitter have thousands of more users that play smash as well that use twitter for discussion. Also I think Ryemani's game had at least 60,000 downloads which is nuts!!!
...except that Nuts & Bolts is still Banjo's last game back in 2008?

Just because a character is in Smash Bros. doesn't mean that they're "back from the dead", otherwise F-Zero, Punch-Out!! and Ice Climber are both thriving Nintendo IPs because they're in Smash. Until the day comes and Microsoft/Rare announce an all new Banjo game, I still consider the Banjo IP dead and buried.
The point is he still came back for a grand smash reveal, which rayman can do as well is what I'm saying

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I wish the best for Ancel. The Rayman series was pretty much the first taste of the platforming genre I ever got in my life and it means a lot to me and I can't thank Michel enough for bringing it to life. Its up to us to continue to prove to Ubisoft that there is far more value in this IP beyond mobile spinoffs and from what I've seen on Twitter the fans have been doing a tremendous job at that

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I wish the best for Ancel. The Rayman series was pretty much the first taste of the platforming genre I ever got in my life and it means a lot to me and I can't thank Michel enough for bringing it to life. Its up to us to continue to prove to Ubisoft that there is far more value in this IP beyond mobile spinoffs and from what I've seen on Twitter the fans have been doing a tremendous job at that
Anyone on this site who hasn't yet, I definitely encourage y'all to make a Twitter. Not only is it a more active place for smash discussion but the Rayman support is louder than ever, and y'all can help make it louder 🙏 The Rayman for Smash page has achieved over 5k supporters in a little over a year, and we plan on growing even more!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Rayman isn't given enough credit, honestly. Like I'm not going to run around and say he's a lock but besides the Japan problem I don't see the logic in some arguments...
  • "No reason Nintendo would want to add him": Not to diss my boy, but you could make the same argument for Terry? And Terry is cool as ****! At least Rayman makes more sense in regards to collaborations for like 5 games already and counting.
  • "Ubisoft costumes would have come with Rayman": Man then I guess every Capcom, and Namco character is deconfirmed too cause they would have used, say, Lloyd to release the Heihachi costume. It'd be more logical if Rayman released with Miis that represented his own series. (Damn now I really want a Mii Gunner of the Rayman 2 Henchman that'd be cool af)
  • "Ubisoft sucks": BIG AGREE, but we still have dickwads like Konami on board for the party and people hype the hell out of Crash despite Activision/Blizzard being pretty scummy themselves. Don't be biased for just Rayman if you're going to use this argument.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only argument that makes any sense is the limited slots thing. Which is understandable enough, since it'd be a wee bit tough to have every company's character playable at the same time (ESPECIALLY in the mess of the current year or so). In that kind of context, it can be hard to tell he got in at all.

Them hardcore haters just want a scapegoat to arbitrarily spit on.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Rayman isn't given enough credit, honestly. Like I'm not going to run around and say he's a lock but besides the Japan problem I don't see the logic in some arguments...
  • "No reason Nintendo would want to add him": Not to diss my boy, but you could make the same argument for Terry? And Terry is cool as ****! At least Rayman makes more sense in regards to collaborations for like 5 games already and counting.
  • "Ubisoft costumes would have come with Rayman": Man then I guess every Capcom, and Namco character is deconfirmed too cause they would have used, say, Lloyd to release the Heihachi costume. It'd be more logical if Rayman released with Miis that represented his own series. (Damn now I really want a Mii Gunner of the Rayman 2 Henchman that'd be cool af)
  • "Ubisoft sucks": BIG AGREE, but we still have dickwads like Konami on board for the party and people hype the hell out of Crash despite Activision/Blizzard being pretty scummy themselves. Don't be biased for just Rayman if you're going to use this argument.
Damn son you spitting absolute facts. He's not a lock but people undersell him a little too much.
The only argument that makes any sense is the limited slots thing. Which is understandable enough, since it'd be a wee bit tough to have every company's character playable at the same time (ESPECIALLY in the mess of the current year or so). In that kind of context, it can be hard to tell he got in at all.

Them hardcore haters just want a scapegoat to arbitrarily spit on.
I mean the limited slots thing technically works against everyone but I get what you're saying.

And yeah haters are probably gonna keep hating on him no matter what. His demand is the highest it's ever been yet people still insist he's hardly demanded for Smash. As long as we keep this support going and never lose hope, I feel like we can get our voices heard someday!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
More old concepts unearthed.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
(Damn now I really want a Mii Gunner of the Rayman 2 Henchman that'd be cool af)
Yo, Rayman could bring some fire Mii Costumes
  • Globox Mii Hat
  • Henchman 800 Mii Costume (Mii Gunner) (awesome idea Zoro)
  • Hoodlum Mii Costume (Mii Gunner)
  • Betilla Mii Costume (Mii Gunner) (the original Betilla for "good boys and girls")

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the memories, Michel Ancel. Rayman 2 was my very first video game, and I still do yearly replays of it. I would have loved to see Rayman 4 from him, but I can understand why he would want something new. I hope he enjoys this new chapter of his life.

As for the future of the Rayman franchise, I don't think this changes much. Rayman's future has been bleak for a while now, even with Ancel there. I don't know what a new Rayman game without Ancel will be like, but I'm willing to give it a chance.
Obviously, this does nothing to harm Rayman's chances to become playable, because the deal would have been made last year.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Rayman Renaissance (a hopeful fanfiction)

It is the year 2020 and the World is in a state of gloom. Yet, the return of certain heroes from the past have lifted the spirits of many. One such hero is yet to be soon however, as faithful still cry out for his return. It is then that from one of the many ethereal worlds from which these heroes come from, a fairy accompanied by a wizard seek out the Chosen Ones that would bring back forth the hero known as The Limbless One; Rayman.

In what seemed to be yet another ordinary day at work, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot is in the midst of a virtual meeting with fellow coworkers. As the virtual meeting concluded, as if it were a visage from a dream, the fairy and wizard stand before him. Guillemot startled gazes at them in awe, with it the shock waned as he recognized them in happy disbelief. Betilla the Fairy, and the Magician have come to see Guillemot in hopes to bring back Rayman. Having overcome his initial surprise, he agreed that a new Rayman game would be the answer but, recently his Creator had announced he would leave the industry in pursuit of another passion. The otherworldly visitors asked him if they could call upon Rayman's Creator, one Michel Ancel to ask for his help. Guillemot pondered for a moment. Suddenly an idea came onto Guillemot and immediately did what his visitors asked, and at the same time messaged Davide Soliani. Both were called to meet near the Ubisoft HQ.

The day of the meeting had arrived, the three greeted each other and sat down. Both Ancel and Soliani were somewhat puzzled by Guillemot's urgent interest in meeting with the two of them. As the conversation was about to commence, two garbed visitors sat beside Guillemot. Ancel and Soliani felt a sudden uneasiness, but Guillemot asked them to remain calm. The disguised visitors revealed themselves, shocking both Ancel and Soliani with disbelief. Ancel most of all could not believe what he saw before him; his own creations, materialized in the real world. Guillemot told his guest that these otherworldly visitors were the reason why he had called upon them.

YG: "These two amazing visitors have asked me to call upon you Michel because they wanted your help in bringing back their hero; our hero, Rayman. I had told them that the answer to that request would be to work on a new Rayman game but, I wanted to consult with you of this matter to know your thoughts."

Ancel felt humbled but, he had already recently made a decision and had begun the pursuit of his passion project. However, he agreed that he would offer his insight if the game were to be handled by a capable team. To that, Guillemot answered,

YG: "That is precisely why I had Davide join us today."

Soliani, surprised, asked Guillemot what he meant.

YG: "I believe the Rayman franchise would be in the best hands if handled and directed by you Davide. From the past success of collaborating with one of our greatest partners' number one IP, and having won their approval, I would like you to lead this project."

Both Ancel and Soliani felt a renewed rush of inspiration over the task that has been asked of them. They both agreed however, Ancel asked Guillemot if the Rayman franchise still had the same following, fans as it did before. Soliani heartily responded that fans had been clamoring for his return.

YG: "It is as Davide says. Also, there is one more thing we could do in order to bring back Rayman stronger than ever. In fact, that step is already underway. I will communicate with Nintendo and tell them of this new project. I'll ask them to carry on with unveiling the news of this step either way. Rayman's reveal in Smash will be the beacon fans have been waiting for. It will appease fans until this new project is completed."

Thus the dice was cast and the otherworldly visitors thanked the trio for their commitment on bringing Rayman back. It was now not a matter of if, but when. In the near future His return shall be imminent.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
After all the UbiForwards, Negligence of no Rayman 25th Anniversary and Michel Ancel retiring, Sakurai looks to be our Last Hope of any Rayman Content with Super Smash Bros Ultimate

TangyKeys

Smash Cadet
Y'all might have seen but it looks like we could get a fighter reveal soon

It's very likely that FP7 is Geno, but that doesn't mean we can't see another fighter reveal in the Sakurai Presents video.

Between the 3 trophies, the ArtsyOmni leak, top charts in the Smash 4 ballots, Ubisoft collaborating with Nintendo, bringing back non-active franchises, AC and Rabbids content, Spirit upgrades, a servery and a bot removing questions about Smash, trademark updates, and a weird 8-month silence regarding Rayman...

This might be it. Only time will tell.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hey just passing by for now to tell everyone the intro theme from the N64 version of Rayman 2 slaps and it's one of the best music build-ups into climax I've ever heard in a game period.

Edit: It made me cry of nostalgia

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
It's very likely that FP7 is Geno, but that doesn't mean we can't see another fighter reveal in the Sakurai Presents video.

Between the 3 trophies, the ArtsyOmni leak, top charts in the Smash 4 ballots, Ubisoft collaborating with Nintendo, bringing back non-active franchises, AC and Rabbids content, Spirit upgrades, a servery and a bot removing questions about Smash, trademark updates, and a weird 8-month silence regarding Rayman...

This might be it. Only time will tell.
Exactly! Even if he's not 7, then doesn't mean he can't be one of the remaining slots! I'm still optimistic considering the Ubisoft survey and bot theory haven't bee disproven!

Maybe there's a chance they didn't mention his 25th cause they're waiting to announce it with something but that's a full on tinfoil hat theory

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It looks like there may be hope for Rayman after all

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Well that's nice. I suppose we'll see what happens in due time. I'd been reading that apparently Davide Soliani (the one behind Rayman GBC, and Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle) would be up to doing Rayman 4 if given the chance. That could be neat, but as with everything, time will tell. Maybe it was just a little "it'd be nice" comment.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
It looks like there may be hope for Rayman after all

I guess it’ll be awhile till a New Rayman Game comes, but his Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC inclusion will Help keep the IP afloat for a New Rayman Game similar to Banjo-Kazooie

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Well, time to break some bad news: Rayman's creator is a big A-hole.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
While this isn't enough for me to dispel the love and admiration I have for Rayman and his other works, this is indeed saddening to hear. Unfortunately, this isn't an isolated case as many in the industry have this toxic work environment. Hopefully, with all of this coming out at Ubisoft, the industry will work itself towards a better work culture for it's employees.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Well of course he also turns out to also be one of the assholes that made everything that was happenning in Ubisoft be as ****ty as possible for anyone who wasn't in position of power. Of course. At this point, I'm just done with Ubisoft as a whole. I just can't take it anymore from this company I once wanted to work in. I don't even know if I even want Rayman in Smash anymore, despite how I know very well that the artist and the art are not inherently linked together, but at this point I just can't bother giving anything else to Ubisoft anymore. I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be supporting Rayman anymore in the near future.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
This sucks to hear. It doesn't change how I feel about the series proper, but it still sucks. It did feel a little odd that he left so suddenly.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Well of course he also turns out to also be one of the assholes that made everything that was happenning in Ubisoft be as ****ty as possible for anyone who wasn't in position of power. Of course. At this point, I'm just done with Ubisoft as a whole. I just can't take it anymore from this company I once wanted to work in. I don't even know if I even want Rayman in Smash anymore, despite how I know very well that the artist and the art are not inherently linked together, but at this point I just can't bother giving anything else to Ubisoft anymore. I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be supporting Rayman anymore in the near future.
It’s up to you Brotha but at the end of the Day, Rayman Fans will still want their wait and patience to be Rewarded for the Rayman character to be added in the Game’s Roster of Playable Fighters. As far as Michel Ancel goes he’s tainted his own Career by his Actions, so because of this it’s now more Focused only on the Art moreover than the Artist himself

Justin Little

Smash Ace
What sucks about this for us Rayman fans is that now people will use this to demean the fandom. People already do that to Dante fans because of his voice actor. So far from what I've seen, no Rayman fan has excused Ancel's behavior which is quite reassuring to see. I have nothing but respect for this fandom, and I believe we can get through this mess that was left for us by promoting Rayman through a positive light and protesting against the toxic work environment from not just Ubisoft but other places as well.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
What sucks about this for us Rayman fans is that now people will use this to demean the fandom. People already do that to Dante fans because of his voice actor. So far from what I've seen, no Rayman fan has excused Ancel's behavior which is quite reassuring to see. I have nothing but respect for this fandom, and I believe we can get through this mess that was left for us by promoting Rayman through a positive light and protesting against the toxic work environment from not just Ubisoft but other places as well.
Rayman detractors will always take any little thing to act like he's not demanded or not worth coming back, and I expect no different with this. And yep, none of us are excusing these actions. All we can do is keep the demand for Rayman going while making sure we aren't toxic ourselves

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Well, Ancel is now claiming it's fake news. So I guess it's up to you guys who you want to believe.
So than what is the publication and the source behind these Claims, if it’s Fake than this must be a Good Fabrication stunt on both of them towards Ancel

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Well, after havnig calmed down a bit by watching SWE's latest SAO abridged episode and the latest Touhou manga chapter, and with Michel Ancel giving his response to what was said about him, I will say that I overeacted by a lot earlier (part of it due to today being pretty tiring for me, though another part of it also comes from the timing of it). As of now, I will take a neutral stance on the events. French articles like that are often not very well documented and often lie to get clicks (yes, they are that desperate), but the timing of it is really suspicious to say the least. I'll stay neutral, I'll keep not supporting Ubisoft due to their very bad human work ethics, and I'll be for Rayman in Smash agin for sure, mainly because of the comunity and because It deserves better than what Ubisoft is giving it. Lastly, sorry for my meltdown earlier in the thread.

Top Bottom