• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
All Smashboards users, the Game of the Year nominees have been revealed, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is on there! (Plus a nominee for best fighting game.)

Everyone, PLEASE vote for Smash, we all know the countless hours of love and passion poured into the game. Sakurai and his team deserve these awards. Please, pass this around wherever you can and spread the word! Let's all show Sakurai how grateful we are for all him and his team have done for us!

Best Fighting Game:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196848900977545217?s=19

Game of the Year:
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1196838294392332289?s=19

(Of course, if you feel like another game should win these categories you do you, but for those who don't... please vote!)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That image is indeed a recreation. I always had a hunch the stock icons didn't quite line up, even if I'm unswayed on the leak itself being true.
And I agree, he looks really good in that. The Artsy Omni "render" takes a little too much from the flat-headed SSB4 trophy, & looks too.... dopey-looking imo. Rayman's various looks are nonsensical & cartoonish by default, but outside the Ubiart duology, the cartoonishness was nuanced, maintained that aforementioned sense of "pluck" & just plain looked better in 3D.

On that note, I'm curious. It's no secret that Ray has a solid, iconic design, but if you could add on anything to it that you think could enhance it further or endear him more to others, what would that be?
Maybe add some stripes on his shoes. I wouldn't be that fussy, honestly.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think he wouldn't look half bad with some...how to put it...pseudo shorts, something that gives off the illusion of legs. Something similar to some of the costumes in the first Raving Rabbids, or even certain Kirby characters.

It wouldn't be needed or anything mind you, our guy is fine as is, I just think it'd look stylish & fill him out without...actually filling him out.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think he wouldn't look half bad with some...how to put it...pseudo shorts, something that gives off the illusion of legs. Something similar to some of the costumes in the first Raving Rabbids, or even certain Kirby characters.
It wouldn't be needed or anything mind you, our guy is fine as is, I just think it'd look stylish & fill him out without...actually filling him out.
Honestly I kind of liked Rayman with shorts, they oddly fit him, even if it takes away from his main design trait.

20191119_194012.jpg

Also, there's the solution to the amiibo debate, people

Edit: /s

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
If I were the art/amiibo designer, I'd relish the challenge. There are a ton of creative ways to make the amiibo work, so while the argument is tempting I think it falls apart under any real scrutiny.
I didn't intend for the amiibo comment to be taken seriously, added that "/s" now.

Most Rayman amiibo ideas are either him holding onto something or him so low to the ground that the plastic tube things aren't that bad. My personal take though...

Here, I whipped this up in like 15 minutes
20191120_123351.jpg

Excuse the roughness, but this should get the idea across. Basically, take advantage of the plastic tubes as a way to convey the movement of Rayman's action, similar to Mario's fireball and Ridley's shockwave thing. There's still bound to be a few attachments, most specifically with the head because I can't think right away how to implement it into this, but my goal was to diminish the problem anyway.

If you guys have any improvements to make the perfect amiibo design, throw them over and I'll see what I can do

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I like the idea above. Nice and dynamic.

Wanted to stop by and share a moveset idea:
Up Throw

Rayman, after casually tossing his foe upwards swiftly shoots his foot up his victim's a**. Definitely a vulgar move, but 100% in character for him thanks to Origins and Legends. Here's the attack sequence:

Pretty straightforward; it gives more context than simply showing the point of impact so I felt that it needed to be demonstrated.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Quick DISCLAIMER: I am speaking in Theory and not making this seem True, so that being said.

F5AD6DDC-97E3-4522-9B08-A26A400AF372.png

269C0E71-7CAC-490C-9B2A-1D58CD12EFEA.png

Okay so interpret this what you will but I can see this as that he’s referring to the Eastern Audience (Japanese Audience) of a Western Character that people are not familiar with and from how I have seen this Rayman Pic Leak
450BB63A-25DD-49EF-9958-90FDBD3F72A8.jpeg

Getting so much attention without any sort of debunking I can see this as Sakurai is suggesting he is finished with the character and I have reasons for why this MAY be a legitimate needle threading.

- Rayman by all definition is an Unknown Western Character that has Been Successful in US, Europe Australia, while Japan & China are not so much and basically for a Good reason (asides from the whole Rabbids are popular in China, but the Target Attraction is 100% Japan)
- With the recent Confirmed Leaks from Sabi & Vergeben stating that Scorpion, Hayabusa, Geno, Crash & Doomguy not being Fighter 5 and NOW on top of that Sakurai stating that he was Working on a Character that has no public (Japanese) knowledge to their Gaming Culture, while also looking like the 5th Fighter is being planned on being revealed at the Game Awards leaving only the Belief now that it is a Western Character coming next up in the Weeks.
- There are many Western IP’s that are popular in the Japan Region, going from Minecraft, Valve Games, Halo, many of whom has reached the International zeitgeist of Video Game Culture, however with Sakurai’s statement being an unknown character/series of Japanese Region which leads back to Rayman (granted Rayman has been promoted to Japan before but not on the Level that broke through like other Series/Characters listed up top)

That my take away from it but we’ll have to see what happens in the coming weeks, because I can be 100% wrong on this whole thing and someone else would be Fighter #5.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I like the idea above. Nice and dynamic.

Wanted to stop by and share a moveset idea:
Up Throw

Rayman, after casually tossing his foe upwards swiftly shoots his foot up his victim's a**. Definitely a vulgar move, but 100% in character for him thanks to Origins and Legends. Here's the attack sequence:

Pretty straightforward; it gives more context than simply showing the point of impact so I felt that it needed to be demonstrated.
Did you make these? They're sick, bro. I love how you gave the sandbag Origins/Legends expressions.

You're inspiring me to put more polish into the next idea I post here instead of half-assing for proof of concept lmao

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Did you make these? They're sick, bro. I love how you gave the sandbag Origins/Legends expressions.

You're inspiring me to put more polish into the next idea I post here instead of half-assing for proof of concept lmao
Thanks! Yeah I made those, it's part of a moveset I've been making on and off over the years. It's taking forever though, luckily Origins and Legends did most of the groundwork so I'm just filling in the blanks. Glad I inspired you too; I look forward to what you'll cook up!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure he's talking about a fighter that hasn't been revealed yet. That's all it means.

Trying to interpret the choice of words for Sakurai's quote translations never ends well.

PushDustin puts it best:

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
What effects could we see following Rayman's inclusion in Smash? I know MegaMan got a bit of a bump, and more folks know about DQ stateside these days, what kind of revival could Rayman get?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What effects could we see following Rayman's inclusion in Smash? I know MegaMan got a bit of a bump, and more folks know about DQ stateside these days, what kind of revival could Rayman get?
An actual new game that's not a mobile phone one since 2014, for starters.

Maybe a proper new 3D platformer entry? Haven't gotten those in over a decade beyond Great Escape's endless ports.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
You’ll see a resurgence of demand for Rayman like Mega Man with a Rayman 4 Game, also it would be a Good tag back towards Eastern Audience as DQ was a completely unknown game in the West (Home), Rayman would instantly be a Turned Japanese Unknown property into a Well known property.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
  • Rayman becomes recognized but probably not THAT popular in Japan
  • Ezio becomes the next in line for an Ubisoft character
  • Rayman 4 sales will likely increase overall (I'm not going to say that a new gane will happen because of Smash considering Ancel already says he wants to work on him after BG&E2)
  • Rayman *might* become Ubisoft's priority again but I will not say for certain, Pac-Man wasn't revived and Sakurai even took a jab at Namco when he showcased Terry. And you bet Castlevania and Metal Gear are dead as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rayman *might* become Ubisoft's priority again but I will not say for certain, Pac-Man wasn't revived and Sakurai even took a jab at Namco when he showcased Terry. And you bet Castlevania and Metal Gear are dead as well.
Banjo-Kazooie is still super-dead compared to the rest, guh-huh. :ultbanjokazooie:

At best we can get more ports for the older games again.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Isn't Rayman spirit in Ultimate? Doesn't that deconfirm?

I think why Rayman is in that state is because of Brawlhalla aka Ubisoft's own smash. They want Rayman on their own platform. This is guess though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People seem to treat Smash 4's promotion of :ultmewtwo: and :ultlucas: as a one-time thing that will not be repeated a second time, or don't know that even happened.

The funny part is much of those people believe it'd be too tough to program around WOL spirits becoming playable, yet turn around and assume that ATs for this game can and will get promoted, despite both lacking definite proof of being a possibility so far.

Also, if Ubisoft really thinks that in regard to Brawlhalla, then they are silly. We got a guy that can show up in more than one fighting game without problems. :ult_terry: And I doubt we'll get random media characters like Hellboy and Adventure Time's heroes.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
At the very least I think Spirits deconfirm the first Fighters Pass, because the pass was decided before release then Sakurai added those Spirits considering the characters that were already planned DLC, if that makes sense, he added them in case fighter #5 was the end and that was the least he could do. DLC after FP1 was decided post-release most likely and the Spirits Deconfirm argument would no longer be relevant under the first condition I mentioned because of that.

Additionally, Rayman is probably the easiest Spirit, next to Shantae and maybe Geno, to be promoted because of the extremely low amount of Spirits his series has: (1). I know I'm getting tin-foil hatty here but if they were to sell him in a challenger pack, he'd come with a stage, music and a Spirit Board, so having no additional spirits at all imo increases his odds a bit because you could fill that board more easily. This reasoning is also why I think that if a character like Rex, Porky or Dixie were to become playable they'd be standalones without additional content as opposed to including a stage and Spirits (I can see extra music tracks being added a la Corrin in Smash 4)

Overall I think our odds post-pass are very decent. The faster the Spirit deconfirms theory gets debunked, the better.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Adding to that, getting additional third parties could get expensive. No one thought about how much it might have been such a hurdle just to get :ulthero:. My hunch is that there will be a buffer period of first-parties, while funds and negotiations for further thirds get arranged.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Obviously. Looks like we can't expect much to happen until within the next couple of years, if even then.

At this rate even Bamco won't be a guarantee for this slot.
You think so? My prediction is a Dark Souls character or KOS-MOS, since people ain't hearing from Phoenix or Dante apparently, and with Resident Evil deconfirmed I can't see Capcom getting the #5 slot, so Bamco is looking neat right now. If it wasn't Bamco then it'd have to be a very unexpected character.

The good news from all this though is I don't have to worry about Ezio stealing Rayman's slot since I'm confident in Spirits deconfirm getting debunked soon.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Well I’m not shocked or disappointed but I honestly have seen this coming. Our only hope rests now towards E3 2020 with Rayman’s 25th Anniversary

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Well I’m not shocked or disappointed but I honestly have seen this coming. Our only hope rests now towards E3 2020 with Rayman’s 25th Anniversary
I don't care if it's Smash or not, Rayman better get something at all for his birthday or I'll eat a chicken wing.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me that, unless it's an uber-popular or influential series, game companies just don't celebrate anniversaries on any decent level.
Just look at how Nintendo didn't bother making so much as a twitter post for Donkey Kong Country's 25th anniversary (or DK64's 20th...) recently. Meanwhile, GameXplain held a week-worth of developer interviews with the Rare devs behind the game.
...& keep in mind that DKC is the big N's top seller franchise right after the "Holy Trinity" (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda) & the Wii sports/party games (which I don't count)

But hey, Rayman could be an exception. Maybe the coming year will be a total turnaround from Ray's 20th, be it a spot in Smash, a new mainline title, or even just a spin-off with a decent budget.

Also hi.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Verge was wrong about king k rool. I have my doubts about his claim of many companies
Even if Verge was wrong I still don't see any likelihood in Rayman being #5, so right now my prayers are in confirming Spirit upgrades so that way Rayboy is back on the menu.

Also small correction, Verge was only wrong about Minecraft, not K. Rool. That was a leaked DM where even he admitted he wasn't sure if his information was correct.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, he occasionally missed information, but he's generally correct about leaks with sources unless he tries to pull a Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and speculates about things. Even got to leak Incineroar due to messy internal politics between GF/TPC (see the Sword and Shield thread for details).

Now, his DBFZ track record on the other hand? A complete disaster, presumably because of Bamco making life hard for his leakers on that game.

The thing that is dubious about him is how he continues to relay his info to Gamefaqs, of all places, instead of using a social media account. Also, his prior association with people that have a worse track record.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, he occasionally missed information, but he's generally correct about leaks with sources unless he tries to pull a Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and speculates about things. Even got to leak Incineroar due to messy internal politics between GF/TPC (see the Sword and Shield thread for details).

Now, his DBFZ track record on the other hand? A complete disaster, presumably because of Bamco making life hard for his leakers on that game.

The thing that is dubious about him is how he continues to relay his info to Gamefaqs, of all places, instead of using a social media account. Also, his prior association with people that have a worse track record.
Look regardless of the outcome let’s keep in mind that the door isn’t fully closed as we still have season 2 of the Fighters Pass and that means that Base Game Spirits Rayman, Geno & even Shantae are back on the Table for inclusion as we have to be more on the look out and support even harder for Sakurai to listen.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Verge was wrong about king k rool. I have my doubts about his claim of many companies
He didn't mention K. Rool; that's not the same as being wrong about him. If he said that K. Rool wouldn't be in the game and he was, then he'd be wrong, but that wasn't the case.

I doubt that these sources have access to (or can reveal, for fear of risking their jobs) every single detail about the game or the roster, given how piecemeal the leaks for Ultimate were. (there was nothing like the ESRB leak for Smash for 3DS that revealed everything)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He didn't mention K. Rool; that's not the same as being wrong about him. If he said that K. Rool wouldn't be in the game and he was, then he'd be wrong, but I doubt that these sources have access to (or can reveal, for fear of risking their jobs) every single detail about the game or the roster, given how piecemeal the leaks for Ultimate were. (there was nothing like the ESRB leak for Smash for 3DS that revealed everything)
Yeah, Vergeben wasn’t really deconfirming K.Rool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, Verge was questioning what his source told him. Which is perfectly valid a concern, seeing how another one of his claimed that there was Minecraft content in the game, but fans have deduced that what he actually saw was the pig from Cubivore.

Overally, Verge's sources are a mixed bag of accuracy.

Look regardless of the outcome let’s keep in mind that the door isn’t fully closed as we still have season 2 of the Fighters Pass and that means that Base Game Spirits Rayman, Geno & even Shantae are back on the Table for inclusion as we have to be more on the look out and support even harder for Sakurai to listen.
I know of that, I'm just talking in the context of FP5.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that only the Smash 4 ballot's results can influence anything at this stage. We already have proof that they've seen it. :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

Let's just be patient.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to find much in the way of numbers, but is Rayman all that big in Europe? I imagine he may be in France as that's where he's from, but I don't have anything concrete on that.

I'm curious, because if he's bigger in Europe than he is in the Americas and Japan he may be a good choice for the European fans.

I'm also curious if there's another more popular character over there that more players would prefer.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I haven't been able to find much in the way of numbers, but is Rayman all that big in Europe? I imagine he may be in France as that's where he's from, but I don't have anything concrete on that.

I'm curious, because if he's bigger in Europe than he is in the Americas and Japan he may be a good choice for the European fans.

I'm also curious if there's another more popular character over there that more players would prefer.
At the very least Rayman 1 was one of the best selling games on PS1 and the best selling game in the United Kingdom, unless information is faulty, so I'm going to assume that most Rayman support is UK/Europe based. Very likely a top 10-15 ballot vote in that region.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
At the very least Rayman 1 was one of the best selling games on PS1 and the best selling game in the United Kingdom, unless information is faulty, so I'm going to assume that most Rayman support is UK/Europe based. Very likely a top 10-15 ballot vote in that region.
It’s why Rayman is More guaranteed to be in the 2nd Fighter’s Pass due to Sakurai having characters of DLC that have national requests like
- Persona’s Joker is to Europe
- Dragon Quest’s Hero is to Japan
- Banjo & Kazooie is to America
- Fatal Fury’s (and SNK overall) Terry Bogard is to South America
as far as who the last one could be an International Favorite? Lord knows I have no idea of who that could be.

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a lot of people are speculating a Capcom character maybe. Maybe they'll throw everyone for a loop and go with another Nintendo franchise, though I draw a blank as to who it could be.

Top Bottom