• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's actually a problem. Smash is full of characters without massive fan support movements. Joker is a great example. Piranha Plant is an even better one.

The difference is that Piranha Plant was planned for base roster, and Joker is the protagonist of an insanely popular and relevant JRPG that Sakurai was a huge personal fan of, to the point that the Ultimate UI was influenced by it.

Rayman doesn't have the relevance/Sakurai love boost that Joker had, or the quirky joke character boost Plant had.

All the less relevant/shilly picks for the base game had extremely vocal and consistent demand for a long time.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The difference is that Piranha Plant was planned for base roster, and Joker is the protagonist of an insanely popular and relevant JRPG that Sakurai was a huge personal fan of, to the point that the Ultimate UI was influenced by it.

Rayman doesn't have the relevance/Sakurai love boost that Joker had, or the quirky joke character boost Plant had.

All the less relevant/shilly picks for the base game had extremely vocal and consistent demand for a long time.
I mean Rayman is still more popular than persona (before smash at least) when you look at series sales numbers.

Also it's not fair to say who has the most support based on pages. Shantae had waaaay more pages than banjo but he definitely had loads more supporters. Often times it might just be the same users talking

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only real issue Rayman has (besides his series having zero reputation in Japan, which means a little less support overall) is Ubi more or less just going "wink wink, nudge nudge" compared to Phil Spencer having openly stated his intent for BK at any given opportunity.

I mean, what is Ubi waiting for? It's not like Sakurai is going to suddenly walk up to them out of the blue and immediately consider asking for Rayman.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The only real issue Rayman has (besides his series having zero reputation in Japan, which means a little less support overall) is Ubi more or less just going "wink wink, nudge nudge" compared to Phil Spencer having openly stated his intent for BK at any given opportunity.

I mean, what is Ubi waiting for? It's not like Sakurai is going to suddenly walk up to them out of the blue and immediately consider asking for Rayman.
I don't think it keeps him out though. His games are still available in Japan so even if he's revealed and people aren't sure who he is, they have the option to go check out his games (unlike us when we got Marth and Roy)

And yeah Ubisoft has stated before they'd wanna see him in smash so idk what the hold up is

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think it keeps him out though. His games are still available in Japan so even if he's revealed and people aren't sure who he is, they have the option to go check out his games (unlike us when we got Marth and Roy)

And yeah Ubisoft has stated before they'd wanna see him in smash so idk what the hold up is
That seems fair. At least it's less complicated than having to import the latest Mortal Kombats over there.

In the meantime, let's just hope the Nintendo Everything/Famitsu article has only encouraged Rayman bros to support harder.

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling that the main reason we haven’t gotten a Rayman game yet is the fact that Ancel is currently working on Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Maybe Ubisoft wants to let Ancel make the next Rayman project, so they are waiting for him to finish the mentioned title right now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Which article?
This one:

I have a feeling that the main reason we haven’t gotten a Rayman game yet is the fact that Ancel is currently working on Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Maybe Ubisoft wants to let Ancel make the next Rayman project, so they are waiting for him to finish the mentioned title right now.
Hopefully you're right on that assumption.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Oh that! That for sure shows fan demand matter and that he'll get in before rabbids or asscreed

Yeah it definitely could be that, I just wish they'd at least let a trusted team work on a Rayman title

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
^Exactly.
I'm sure there are plenty of other developers both at Ubisoft & beyond that could take the wheel with proper direction and potential supervision from Ancel.

I mean how else have we've gotten stuff like CTR: Nitro-Fueled, KI: Uprising or Spyro Reignited? Naughty Dog, the OG Kid Icarus devs & Insomniac certainly weren't behind them, last time I checked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

^Exactly. I'm sure there are plenty of other developers both at Ubisoft & beyond that could take the wheel with proper direction and potential supervision from Ancel. I mean how else have we've gotten stuff like CTR: Nitro-Fueled, KI: Uprising or Spyro Reignited? Naughty Dog, the OG Kid Icarus devs & Insomniac certainly weren't behind them, last time I checked.
Yeah, Acticision made each Crash and Spyro remaster from the current years developed by different studios.

Vicarious Visions made N.Sane, Toys For Bob did Reignited and Beenox did CTR NF.

Ubisoft should do something like that regarding Rayman.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
They could atleast have some division of Ubisoft put out an above-average spin-off of some sort.
A party game, a rhythm game, a kart racer (I know a certain marsupial who's benefiting strongly from that as we speak), a remake/sequel to Rayman Arena, or Polokus forbid an action RPG.
Even a whole game based on the plunger gun levels from Raving Rabbids would be cake.

Just anything other than shoehorning Rayman into under-the-radar games like Brawlhalla or Growtopia, which I've only ever heard of because of Ray.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Lmao for real, alot of brawlhalla's publicity was because Rayman got added. Also take a shot every time someone unironically thinks he can't be in smash cause of brawlhalla.

Random but I wish there was a way to liven up this chat more since I love discussing Rayman with y'all.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Also if the companion theory is real who do you guys think would be Rayman's companion on the banner? I'm thinking Murphy, since I feel like he'd be part of Rayman's moveset

volbound1700

Smash Master
Rayman would have a very unique moveset and would be the mascot of Ubisoft. It is odd that he keeps getting stickers/trophies but has no appearance in Smash.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Rayman would have a very unique moveset and would be the mascot of Ubisoft. It is odd that he keeps getting stickers/trophies but has no appearance in Smash.
On the plus side he has his foot in the door! He could very well be a "when" not an "if"

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Oh snap, I never considered that Murphy could be integrated into Rayman's moveset, or maybe even his Final Smash. Maybe he could have something like Mega Man or Hero where a bunch of his friends like Globox and Barbara join in.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Just throwing it out there that Banjo's inclusion should have killed Companion Theory dead.

Kazooie is Banjo's "companion" the way Nana is Popo's, or Charizard is Pokemon Trainer's. As in... not. They are intrinsic parts of the character. This would only work if Morgana were also part of Joker's moveset, and Slime part of Hero's.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Oh snap, I never considered that Murphy could be integrated into Rayman's moveset, or maybe even his Final Smash. Maybe he could have something like Mega Man or Hero where a bunch of his friends like Globox and Barbara join in.
I always thought of Murphy being his side special, like he'd send Murphy flying forward and he'd tickle anyone he made contact with which would work like a stun, allowing Rayman to get in some hits

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Just throwing it out there that Banjo's inclusion should have killed Companion Theory dead.

Kazooie is Banjo's "companion" the way Nana is Popo's, or Charizard is Pokemon Trainer's. As in... not. They are intrinsic parts of the character. This would only work if Morgana were also part of Joker's moveset, and Slime part of Hero's.
I don't think that's a theory per se, just an observation. Besides, the Smash fandom is nothing if not determined to see patterns where none exist (insert "Fantastical Conspiracy Chairs" meme here).

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I don't think that's a theory per se, just an observation. Besides, the Smash fandom is nothing if not determined to see patterns where none exist (insert "Fantastical Conspiracy Chairs" meme here).
I don't really believe in the theory myself, I just think if Rayman does get a companion on the mural it would be Murphy

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also if the companion theory is real who do you guys think would be Rayman's companion on the banner? I'm thinking Murphy, since I feel like he'd be part of Rayman's moveset
I find the notion ridiculous. Chances are one of the next characters may not come with a partner, and that'll make people's minds fizzle.

However, I do find the idea of Murfy being involved in the moveset a good one. Kinda like a faster version of Luma.

The chairs are the final boss. The fans had at least predicted something for that, even if it wasn't the right thing (like nearly everyone assuming Hero would have had Erdrick as the base character, and have female alts). What I found really dumb was the fans assuming the damn couch even had anything to do with Skull Kid (although Nintendo's tweet of a Skull Kid figure probably didn't help).

Speaking of patterns, most people assume the Fighter Pass will have nothing but third parties, despite nothing remotely hinting at this except a very-easily misinterpreted comment by Reggie at the VGAs, and even then it was more of a general statement than anything.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
The reason that I don't think Rayman has made it yet is that he just isn't that popular overall compared to other characters like Banjo. He isn't super popular in Japan.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The reason that I don't think Rayman has made it yet is that he just isn't that popular overall compared to other characters like Banjo. He isn't super popular in Japan.
He's still pretty requested though among others like shantae and Crash

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Rayman's day in the Rate Their Chances Thread. Come show your support. Just remember to give at least two sentences per score for them to count ^_^.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda shocking that Rayman is still not playable in Smash. Hopefully, we'll get him in the next installment.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think rayman's chances are REALLY low sadly but maybe if we keep hoping and asking for him sakurai will made him playable just like banjo.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I don't think Sakurai only adds characters from games he's played. I'm sure that sometimes he decides on a character first and plays their game to get a feel for them second. And since Nintendo and Ubisoft have such a great relationship (Mario + Rabbids, anyone?) and the Fighter Pass is all third parties so far, I think Rayman has a better shot than you guys think.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I might be wrong but the fact that he's a trophy in 4 and a spirit in ultimate kinda prove that Rayman doesn't appeal to Nintendo

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
Do we know if Sakurai ever played a rayman game?
From all references in Rayman spirit fight in WoL I can guess he played Rayman Legends at least.
But let's not forget that Sakurai and his team asked Ubisoft for a reference for a model for trophy, and the fact that Rayman could be a amiibo costume in Super Mario Maker for 3DS along with Ryu and Roy.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I've mentioned this before in passing, but y'all know how most newcomer trailers have a fun little post-gameplay/title scene? Any ideas for what the aftermath to Rayman's trailer would be like?

There's two ways I would end it myself:
A reference to the ending of the intro to Rayman M/Arena, where Ray & a few others walk into the beach sunset while their shadows continue to scrap.

...or a recreation of the Snoring Tree "beatboxing" from Origins' intro.

This, but with DK n' Kirby in place of Globox n' the King, Mario in place of Goth Teensy on the branch, and Banjo in place of Polokus, all snoozing to the beat of Ultimate's theme/Lifelight.
Tell me to my face that this wouldn't be full of win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom