• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Aye our numbers keep growing lads!

If I'm being honest, Rayman has become a not "if" but "when" Character. If we don't get him in this doc I'm sure he'll join a smash game someday eventually

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Aye our numbers keep growing lads!

If I'm being honest, Rayman has become a not "if" but "when" Character. If we don't get him in this doc I'm sure he'll join a smash game someday eventually
Well if I don't get to enjoy Rayman in Smash then I hope my grandchildren will when he is confirmed as newcomer #342 /s

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
This isn’t the right place to post this thread.

Back on topic: no, he shouldn’t.

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
This isn’t the right place to post this thread.

Back on topic: no, he shouldn’t.
Can you at least bring a good point why Rayman shouldn't be in the game?
I thought after reveal of Piranha Plant in the last Direct, Mr. Sakurai made it clear that any character from videogames can be in the game as a fighter.
So again, why he should not be in?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Can you at least bring a good point why Rayman shouldn't be in the game?
I thought after reveal of Piranha Plant in the last Direct, Mr. Sakurai made it clear that any character from videogames can be in the game as a fighter.
So again, why he should not be in?
Any particular reason why?
Rayman isn’t relevant. The Rabbids have a much better chance and I think they shouldn’t be in either. Rayman has had only two games this entire decade, while Rabbids had six. It’s a miracle how K. Rool was able to make it in due to fan requests.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Rayman isn’t relevant. The Rabbids have a much better chance and I think they shouldn’t be in either. Rayman has had only two games this entire decade, while Rabbids had six. It’s a miracle how K. Rool was able to make it in due to fan requests.
Huh? Those Games were excellent and beloved. The fact that Legends even got rereleased on the Switch and still sold arguably well should be proof enough.

You can share your opinion, no problem. An opinion based on using wrong arguments to discredit a character isn't the deal tho.

Furthermore it's kinda confirmed that relevancy alone isn't everything for a character being in Smash.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
There were many different platformer mascots in Rayman's day, a lot of them have fallen into obscurity. The fact that Rayman still manages to pop-up should show the franchise and character still has appeal.

He may not be up there with the likes of Sonic or Pac-Man, nor does he get constant releases, but he is still an iconic character. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have made it past the PS2.

Take Brawlhalla for example. Quality of the game aside, Ubisoft allowed the team behind it to include RAYMAN as their first guest character, not a Rabbid, not Sam Fisher, not Ezio, but Rayman.

I'm not going to pretend Rayman is a global superstar who sold a bajillion games, but he's not an obscure nobody.

MrUndy

Smash Cadet
>Rayman has had only two games this entire decade

Lmao, Rayman has more than just two games without mentioning spin-off games. I rememberer after Artsy Omni's fake leak Ubisoft have made a post in social media to show that they want Rayman in the game.

>It’s a miracle how K. Rool was able to make it in due to fan requests

It's not really surprising since Sakurai mentioned in the interview that K. Rool was the most requested character in the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Huh? Those Games were excellent and beloved. The fact that Legends even got rereleased on the Switch and still sold arguably well should be proof enough.

You can share your opinion, no problem. An opinion based on using wrong arguments to discredit a character isn't the deal tho.

Furthermore it's kinda confirmed that relevancy alone isn't everything for a character being in Smash.
There were many different platformer mascots in Rayman's day, a lot of them have fallen into obscurity. The fact that Rayman still manages to pop-up should show the franchise and character still has appeal.

He may not be up there with the likes of Sonic or Pac-Man, nor does he get constant releases, but he is still an iconic character. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have made it past the PS2.

Take Brawlhalla for example. Quality of the game aside, Ubisoft allowed the team behind it to include RAYMAN as their first guest character, not a Rabbid, not Sam Fisher, not Ezio, but Rayman.

I'm not going to pretend Rayman is a global superstar who sold a bajillion games, but he's not an obscure nobody.
>Rayman has had only two games this entire decade

Lmao, Rayman has more than just two games without mentioning spin-off games. I rememberer after Artsy Omni's fake leak Ubisoft have made a post in social media to show that they want Rayman in the game.

>It’s a miracle how K. Rool was able to make it in due to fan requests

It's not really surprising since Sakurai mentioned in the interview that K. Rool was the most requested character in the Smash Ballot.
I stand corrected. I don’t know him well enough to consider him being playable, but whatever makes the majority happy.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Imagine going into a character thread just to crap on people supporting a character.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
To play devil's advocate, Rayman's both a spirit and playable in Brawlhala already while the vanilla (non-Nintendo character associated) Rabbids are neither. Not to mention Rabbid could maybe be seen as more Nintendo-related than Rayman?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
To play devil's advocate, Rayman's both a spirit and playable in Brawlhala already while the vanilla (non-Nintendo character associated) Rabbids are neither. Not to mention Rabbid could maybe be seen as more Nintendo-related than Rayman?
Bruh Rabbids are a spirit too lol and also the brawlhalla arguement is so weak. The dlc will last till 2020 so Rayman could easily be one of the later characters giving Ubisoft enough time to make plenty of brawlhalla revenue.

Also third parties usually get in by being fan favorites or having high demand, both of which Rabbids have neither but Rayman does.

Missed the point you made about vanilla Rabbids but let's be real if Rabbids got in (which they wouldn't before Rayman), they'd easily go with the Nintendo ones since they're the somewhat likeable ones and the only ones you could really base a moveset around

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Well, we have our first DLC character revealed... Joker from Persona 5. From the way Reggie was speaking afterwards, it seems like the goal of the DLC pack is to include characters we'd never expect to be in Smash.

That could mean a wide variety of things for Rayman, and I'm not quite sure which one it could be.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Well, we have our first DLC character revealed... Joker from Persona 5. From the way Reggie was speaking afterwards, it seems like the goal of the DLC pack is to include characters we'd never expect to be in Smash.

That could mean a wide variety of things for Rayman, and I'm not quite sure which one it could be.
I would honestly say Rayman is in the same spot he's was before Joker's announcement. Maybe slightly more on the positive side.

I expect a ton of wild cards, whether Rayman is one of them, we will have to wait and see.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I just want to point out that Joker came from a list that Nintendo chose... like... wat? I bet even Sakurai was surprised to see him as an option.
Awesome character to start DLC off with though. And yeah I agree that we are exactly where we were before. I really wanted them to prove Spirits don't deconfirm though...

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
I mean, anyone can join Smash Bros now!

But about the words Reggie said...

I'm scared...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Look at thisView attachment 182222
There's Hope!
"Characters that are new to the series" describes every single possible character, seeing as it's impossible for veterans to be DLC. This doesn't seem to change much. (though it's interesting to know that all of the DLC characters are intended to be unexpected; hopefully that's in a good way)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I fought the Rayman Spirit in World of Light last night.

His Spirit Battle is ****ing hard, I had to have lost around 25 times before I finally won.

Though honestly, I loved that it was super challenging. It makes the battle leave much more of an impact, rather than just a drop in the bucket. Which is great for a third party character who's not playable.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I fought the Rayman Spirit in World of Light last night.

His Spirit Battle ****ing hard, I had to have lost around 25 times before I finally go won.

Though honestly, I loved that it was super challenging. It makes the battle leave much more of an impact, rather than just a drop in the bucket. Which is great for a third party character who's not playable.
It took me about 5-8 tries but it indeed was one of the harder ones. Thank you, DK.

Rayman is going to be my main Spirit now for the remainder of this.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
It took me about 5-8 tries but it indeed was one of the harder ones. Thank you, DK.

Rayman is going to be my main Spirit now for the remainder of this.
Same.

Honestly, the hard part of the battle wasn't Sonic, it was Sukkapon who was incredibly difficult. When they both gang up on you, it's close to impossible to get out.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Funny, I got him on the first try.

Then again, I hit Sukapon right as soon as he appeared (I didn't even know I hit him at first), and he kind of...flew up out of bounds and didn't land for like...5 or 10 seconds, giving me time to damage Sonic and clear the battle before they ganged up on me.

Definitely one of the better Spirits I've got so far though.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
Funny, I got him on the first try.

Then again, I hit Sukapon right as soon as he appeared (I didn't even know I hit him at first), and he kind of...flew up out of bounds and didn't land for like...5 or 10 seconds, giving me time to damage Sonic and clear the battle before they ganged up on me.

Definitely one of the better Spirits I've got so far though.
In normal mode is very easy, I also finish it on the first try, but in hard the cpu is very good.

I have 3 observations about joker and the dlc.

First one, joker is no a unexpect characters, this is because sakurai and his wife love persona saga , if you see the menu and effects in the end of every battle you can see the influence of persona in smash. Another thing, persona is very popular in japan, is normal sakurai and nintendo select joker as DLC. and maybe one of these DLC It will be popular in America and not in Japan. (Rayman is Western, its inclusion may never come.)

Second one, so many companies talks about his characters are spirits in smash or AT'S, but ubisoft don't talk anything, what happened?
Maybe nintendo don't care rayman or they did not reach an agreement.

Finally, all third party have more than 2 characters except: sega, bandai and square-enix. In some point sega has some "power" in persona, so maybe the next 2 characters will be square enix and bandai.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Probably doesn't mean anything but I find it pretty funny how Rayman was the only 3rd party series to not get an online icon.

Even Shantae got one.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
^No big deal in the long-term, but it doesn't surprise me.

See, to me it honestly seems like, throughout the web, Rayman is an afterthought even when people explore the subject of established platformer series.
Like on Youtube. Ever notice how the majority of prolific game reviewers (sans Caddicarus & Nitro Rad) and lets players have yet to touch a Rayman game, whereas, by contrast, you can find a decent amount of videos covering Crash, Spyro, Rareware, Shantae, or the latest indie platformer (not to throw shade, I enjoy them too.). GameXplain, for example, had this one discussion vid from the Smash 4 era where they gushed about how much Shovel Knight deserves to join the roster, while previously stating that Rayman lacks the material (or something along those lines). There are hardly any remixes of any soundtrack from the series, & most people who aren't already fans look at it with apathy. :ohwell: sigh....

Am I being too neurotic? Yes Most likely
Should I learn to just ignore the mainstream & have my own fun with a series that lets me platform to the beat of Black Betty & ride on giant moskitos with lazy eyes?
Of course!

but still.... something to consider. Tis' an observation.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If it makes you feel better, The Runaway Guys covered Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends.

Top Bottom