• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I mean... I think I speak for most of us here that when we started wanting Rayman in Smash we didn't know his series was going to end up the way it is now lol

Ideas of immortalization or reviving the series are kinda like bonuses that came up along the way
The accuracy of this statement brings me a catastrophic amount of pain.

I definitely know 2013 me wouldn't have foreseen Ubisoft slamming the brakes on anything major for close to a decade after building up some nice momentum with Origins & Legends.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I normally don't ever post here, but I still think it's a little strange that Ezio and the Rabbids have Mii costumes but Rayman doesn't. I know there is the situation with the hands and the feet being separated from the body, but with a Mii costume I think they could somehow get over that with making the arms look invincible in someway. While I don't think Rayman's chances are the best, I think he has a decent chance and shouldn't be slept on. I believe either him or Crash is going to make it in before Ultimate is all set and done.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Posted this on twitter but figured I'd ask here too since it's a common topic when discussing Rayman
View attachment 312761
So how bout it lads? Is Rayman 3 content in or out?
I think Rayman 3 would be represented in some form if Rayman got in. It is a mainline title in the series afterall.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Posted this on twitter but figured I'd ask here too since it's a common topic when discussing Rayman
View attachment 312761
Since the 3rd-Party Publisher’s are providing the Music Tracks (as proven by SNK with 50-Tracks of their own Music) Rayman 3’s Music Tracks isn’t impossible, in fact it’s also a necessary promotional advertisement for Ubisoft to provide Rayman Content that was not released in Japan. Ubisoft is a Company that welcomes provided Content in Nintendo Products, with Super Smash Bros Ultimate it is perhaps even more adamant on Ubisoft’s (and Nintendo of Japan’s department) promotional advertisement in Smash Bros Ultimate to give Nintendo and Sakurai the same content as the Terry Bogard Pack with an entire catalog of Ubisoft content of Spirits, Music & Mii Costumes from not just Rayman with say like 30-Tracks from Rayman 1, 2, 3, Origins, Legends & Raving Rabbids, but also 20-More Tracks including Assassins Creed, Mario + Rabbids, Rabbids, Beyond Good and Evil & Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

Last edited:

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
View attachment 312761
I've been actually thinking quite long about this and I've came into the inclusion that we have too keep our hopes low on this one.

Rayman 3 being unreleased in Japan is one thing, but another bugging fact is that... Rayman 3 never semed like a priority to Ubisoft and it pains me to say it, as it's my favorite game in the entire series and the one that I have the biggest nostalgia for, but when you look at how Rayman 3 was seen through the years, you could say that without Rabbids, this one would take a spot as the black sheep of the series. Starting with way lower sales and reviews compared to the first two games, the fact that it had always very few re-releases and it's general perception is least favorable. Rayman 1 is obviously classic that started it all, famous for one of the best selling games on PS1, famous for it's beautiful graphics and music and well... infamous for it's difficulty. Rayman 2 was this giant hit that is still considered to be one of the best and most revolutionary 3D platformers of all time and Origins and Legends gained even more audiance with it's beautiful visuals and good and challenging gameplay.
Rayman 3 is just seen as a... good game and that's it. It saddens me as looking at the fact how WELL it aged and how much charm it has, but it shouldn't be suprising really considering the fact that the other entries in the series had set the bar so high.

So yeah when looking at Rayman 3 rep I wouldn't count for too much, but I don't think we aren't getting anything. Ubisoft would probably work closely with Nintendo as other third parties and they probably would at least show some of the stuff from 3 that has potential as moveset/skin color, spirit or music track. So what I'm expecting is:
  • two or three moves from 3 implemented into the moveset (the most common predictions are Lockjaws as his grab and Helicopter as his recovery)
  • Combat Fatigues colors as a few of his skin colors
  • Andre as a spirit
  • Hoodoo Sorcerer as a one music track, which is perfectly fine, but would they remix it or not? idk

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
While I do see some 3 representation happening, I don't see his moveset or gimmick revolving around mechanics from that game. I definitely see a few combat fatigues as costumes, but not a Shulk-style gimmick.

I think we can look to Mega Man and Banjo as examples of what to expect. A smattering of representation from all over the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 312761
Something being kept out of Japan would only stop Sak from putting minor content from it if it was a first-party Ninty game, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it unless Ubi still has a UbiArt affinity going on.

Last edited:

G-Star

Smash Cadet
While I do see some 3 representation happening, I don't see his moveset or gimmick revolving around mechanics from that game. I definitely see a few combat fatigues as costumes, but not a Shulk-style gimmick.

I think we can look to Mega Man and Banjo as examples of what to expect. A smattering of representation from all over the series.
Like the moveset I made.

G-Star

Smash Cadet
Yeah that would probably be the best outcome.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
I was so confused when RRR came out. I remember thinking "Where's all that stuff from the Nintendo Power issue? The commercial? The tether, the spider and hawk riding?"

I was expecting the escape from the arena (spoilers) to just be a long opening to the game, where we defeat the Rabbids afterwards. Can't tell you how disappointed I was when Rayman ends the game stuck in a hole.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I am PRAYING that they didn't go to the trouble of giving Rayman an updated design and putting him front and center on the art for this game just for ****s and giggles. Pleeeeeaaasssee tell me this is a just a tease for more stuff later on...
Your Icon is making me think of Steven seeing this and replying to the post.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I am PRAYING that they didn't go to the trouble of giving Rayman an updated design and putting him front and center on the art for this game just for ****s and giggles. Pleeeeeaaasssee tell me this is a just a tease for more stuff later on...
I mean they all kind of have a stylized design for this so I don't think this is meant as a permanent overhaul for Rayman's design.

I'm just glad he's one of the main all stars featured for the cover art

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
You know guys the more I think about the "unpopular in Japan" argument the more I realize how dumb it really is.
While it's fair that good chunk of people think it's a valid argument - it's a Japanese game and there's definitely bias towards Japanese series, which is perfectly understandable, despite me not being a giant fan of it.
But when you look at the roster, since Smash 4 it's obvious that Sakurai never had a problem with introducing characters that aren't really popular in Japan.
First in Smash 4, he introduces Little Mac who was mostly popular Western request and from what I've seen, he was called "American Scrub" in Japan lmfao.
Then comes Smash Ultimate and it's clear as day that Sakurai has no bias in having Western characters or those who aren't popular in his home country.
Ridley? Character that was request mostly by Western fanbase ONLY and comes from a series that isn't really popular in Japan. They even threw Dark Samus echo for good meassure too!
King K. Rool? Well he's a bit different as from what I've seen, he was still heavily requested by Japanese fanbase too and DK series is still quite liked here, but we can all agree that it's the Western fanbase, which support for him this big.
Banjo-Kazooie? Really similiar to King K. Rool, but here Japanese support was only just quite decent compared to giant ammount of requests from Western fanbase.
Hell, maybe I'm really stretching here, but you could argue that even Sonic is good example of it, as Japanese fanbase for him and his series is waaaay smaller than it is in West. But as said it's probably a giant stretch as while not as popular as in the West, Sonic's still recognizable in Japan, so at least most of the people here were like "Oh he makes a perfect sense!" when he was announced.
So yeah that's why I think the "unpopular in Japan" argument really doesn't make any sense as for now and it shouldn't really threaten our boy Rayman or any popular Western picks for that matter.

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
https://twitter.com/doomsmae/status/1389023991378108419?s=19

Aight, so no one here seems to be aware of this, but one of the trademarks got updated. It was already talked about in the thread I linked, but this actually has nothing to do the Bomberman clone game Ubi just dropped, for a couple reasons:

1. The trademark is for visual/audio stuff, but there's nothing but generic music and sound effects in the game, nevermind franchise specific stuff.
2. Probably the bigger thing, we've known basically since the trademark stuff first happened that they indicated a deal was struck between Ubi and a 3rd Party company. You wouldn't really need to do that if it was for something that's, ya know, not being made by a 3rd Party company, lol.

Now, even though that 2nd point was bigger point I wanted to share as to kinda calm any fears of the trademark being for yet another Mobile game, I DO wanna draw attention to that 1st one. Like I said, the trademark was audio-visual stuff, but one of our pals on Twitter who is more knowledgeable on trademark business had this to say about it specifically:
https://twitter.com/NickAnimal66/status/1389050891140009989?s=19

As you can see, looks like some 3rd Party company out there now is gonna be using Music/Audio from the Rayman IP, possibly soon seeing as this was completed just a few days ago. Makes ya think, hmm...

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I've been actually thinking quite long about this and I've came into the inclusion that we have too keep our hopes low on this one.

Rayman 3 being unreleased in Japan is one thing, but another bugging fact is that... Rayman 3 never semed like a priority to Ubisoft and it pains me to say it, as it's my favorite game in the entire series and the one that I have the biggest nostalgia for, but when you look at how Rayman 3 was seen through the years, you could say that without Rabbids, this one would take a spot as the black sheep of the series. Starting with way lower sales and reviews compared to the first two games, the fact that it had always very few re-releases and it's general perception is least favorable. Rayman 1 is obviously classic that started it all, famous for one of the best selling games on PS1, famous for it's beautiful graphics and music and well... infamous for it's difficulty. Rayman 2 was this giant hit that is still considered to be one of the best and most revolutionary 3D platformers of all time and Origins and Legends gained even more audiance with it's beautiful visuals and good and challenging gameplay.
Rayman 3 is just seen as a... good game and that's it. It saddens me as looking at the fact how WELL it aged and how much charm it has, but it shouldn't be suprising really considering the fact that the other entries in the series had set the bar so high.

So yeah when looking at Rayman 3 rep I wouldn't count for too much, but I don't think we aren't getting anything. Ubisoft would probably work closely with Nintendo as other third parties and they probably would at least show some of the stuff from 3 that has potential as moveset/skin color, spirit or music track. So what I'm expecting is:
  • two or three moves from 3 implemented into the moveset (the most common predictions are Lockjaws as his grab and Helicopter as his recovery)
  • Combat Fatigues colors as a few of his skin colors
  • Andre as a spirit
  • Hoodoo Sorcerer as a one music track, which is perfectly fine, but would they remix it or not? idk
At the very least, I would like to see the combat fatigues represented as alternate colors. THAT's what I'm hoping for.

I made a thing, don't know how to add tweets to the forum so here goes:

https://twitter.com/RidleyPWizard/status/1389772227390808064?s=20

View attachment 313846
Yo that actually looks like him HOW DID YOU DO THAT!?

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
C'mon Raybros we gotta get Rayman to overtake Crash within 8 hours!!!!

Last edited:

RaymanicRM

Smash Rookie
Like the moveset I made.
Personally, I would change some things. First, his Up B should be the Purple Lum in the first 2 Rayman games imo. It would make for a unique recovery. Second, I'd give Rayman the belicopter hair for a glide option like Peach, but he decends instead. Third, I'd switch to the second hit in Origins and Legends that would act like a spike when going forward. I like the idea with the throws a lot and other than that it's really good!

G-Star

Smash Cadet
Personally, I would change some things. First, his Up B should be the Purple Lum in the first 2 Rayman games imo. It would make for a unique recovery. Second, I'd give Rayman the belicopter hair for a glide option like Peach, but he decends instead. Third, I'd switch to the second hit in Origins and Legends that would act like a spike when going forward. I like the idea with the throws a lot and other than that it's really good!

I couldn't get behind the first suggestion, I thought you guys knew that Ray would descend while gliding already, and maybe I'll go with the third one. Otherwise, thanks! :D

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
View attachment 312761
It'll depend on a lot of things, from most to least important.

1. Ubisoft's conditions for the character and franchise. (I think )
2. Sakurai's experiences (Perhaps he's managed to play it at some point)
3. Moveset potential (It's possible to get a moveset out of Origins Rayman but the powers he gains from the laser detergent could spice things up.)
4. Alt color ideas (The laser detergent gives 4 easy canonical costumes out the box)

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I tried to get a discussion going a few days ago, but nobody replied to it :/
fwiw you did bring up an interesting point up there. Let me humor it.

If the audio trademark does tie into something it could be about Smash or that Rayman TV series and whatever studio is animating it.

The trademark also accounts for visual references, right? So it doesn't have to be about just music. Maybe Rayman's image in merchandise or a cameo in some silly E3 tribute trailer.

While it is definitely a step closer to Rayman being in Smash, it could simply relate to a different mystery project. But at the very least, this means Rayman might be planning a rise to power in some way.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
fwiw you did bring up an interesting point up there. Let me humor it.

If the audio trademark does tie into something it could be about Smash or that Rayman TV series and whatever studio is animating it.

The trademark also accounts for visual references, right? So it doesn't have to be about just music. Maybe Rayman's image in merchandise or a cameo in some silly E3 tribute trailer.

While it is definitely a step closer to Rayman being in Smash, it could simply relate to a different mystery project. But at the very lesst, this means Rayman might be planning a rise to power in some way.
That would be interesting. We've got just a month or so left of time to wait. Any additional leaks from these companies would be locked down tight

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
So about that Brawlhalla TMNT leak
Been thinking on it for about an hour. Don't think we should take it to mean anything.

For those unaware, Papa Genos uploaded a video earlier (here if you wanna watch https://youtu.be/-fbBSYaIbGA ) where he talks about an insider who has apparently showed him video proof of the TMNT coming to Brawlhalla, as well as claiming Street Fighter is also happening for that game. The apparent bad news is that this person claims to be in a position where they would be aware of any sort of crossover stuff Ubisoft is involved in, but apparently has heard nothing Smash related. People are taking this to mean that a Ubisoft character, i.e Rayman, probably isn't happening if this person hasn't heard about it.

My counter argument to this however, and what I implore all of you to keep in mind most of all, is that at the end of the day, we'll never know until Rayman shows up or the DLC ends without him. But on a more positive leaning note, don't forget about all the things we've still got going in our favor. The 3rd Party trademarks, the Ubisoft Montpelier team teasing something with Rayman and abruptly shutting up about it after confirming it wasn't for a new game, the Sam bot changing a specific servey question within 24 hours of people calling attention to it, and more recently we know that Ubisoft wants a more diverse lineup of games which could lead to a Rayman comeback in general.

Tl;dr There's plenty of reasons the Brawlhalla leak means nothing for Rayman in Smash, if it even turns out to be real. Even if Rayman doesn't come to Smash, there are more than enough reasons to believe he will still be back in some form eventually. Keep those heads high, Raybros.

Top Bottom