• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Not necessarily relevant, but I'd like to point out that some guy was able to leak the last Nintendo Direct reveal by reveal but didn't get Pyra's Smash reveal out of all things.

My point is that Smash is kept under VERY, VERY, tight wraps, especially nowadays. If it had just leaked this easily from someone on Discord then that'd just feel out of place, ya know? I dunno, maybe it's accurate and Rayman is indeed not coming... But on the other hand, is it really that weird to think that Nintendo would want to work with very small supervision so that the info doesn't leak, the way it could have right here?

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Been thinking on it for about an hour. Don't think we should take it to mean anything.

For those unaware, Papa Genos uploaded a video earlier (here if you wanna watch https://youtu.be/-fbBSYaIbGA ) where he talks about an insider who has apparently showed him video proof of the TMNT coming to Brawlhalla, as well as claiming Street Fighter is also happening for that game. The apparent bad news is that this person claims to be in a position where they would be aware of any sort of crossover stuff Ubisoft is involved in, but apparently has heard nothing Smash related. People are taking this to mean that a Ubisoft character, i.e Rayman, probably isn't happening if this person hasn't heard about it.

My counter argument to this however, and what I implore all of you to keep in mind most of all, is that at the end of the day, we'll never know until Rayman shows up or the DLC ends without him. But on a more positive leaning note, don't forget about all the things we've still got going in our favor. The 3rd Party trademarks, the Ubisoft Montpelier team teasing something with Rayman and abruptly shutting up about it after confirming it wasn't for a new game, the Sam bot changing a specific servey question within 24 hours of people calling attention to it, and more recently we know that Ubisoft wants a more diverse lineup of games which could lead to a Rayman comeback in general.

Tl;dr There's plenty of reasons the Brawlhalla leak means nothing for Rayman in Smash, if it even turns out to be real. Even if Rayman doesn't come to Smash, there are more than enough reasons to believe he will still be back in some form eventually. Keep those heads high, Raybros.
Ubisoft Marketer wouldn’t know that specific information, Nintendo Marketers and Nintendo brass are the only ones who know this information.

This Ubisoft Marketer is only working on Ubisoft owned IP’s so don’t take his information related to Smash Bros Ultimate.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Ubisoft Marketer wouldn’t know that specific information, Nintendo Marketers and Nintendo brass are the only ones who know this information.

This Ubisoft Marketer is only working on Ubisoft owned IP’s so don’t take his information related to Smash Bros Ultimate.
In fairness, the screenshot shown in the video did state that this specific source would verify Ubisoft characters in other games
1621228638954.png

But I do think that in Smash's specific case this could be different considering how confidential it is.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
In fairness, the screenshot shown in the video did state that this specific source would verify Ubisoft characters in other games
View attachment 315502
But I do think that in Smash's specific case this could be different considering how confidential it is.
That’s actually Not entirely accurate of how that works, this person only Markets Ubisoft Exclusive Games. So his claim of No Smash Bros related information seems a bit unrealiable to take as any deconfirmation

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
Not necessarily relevant, but I'd like to point out that some guy was able to leak the last Nintendo Direct reveal by reveal but didn't get Pyra's Smash reveal out of all things.

My point is that Smash is kept under VERY, VERY, tight wraps, especially nowadays. If it had just leaked this easily from someone on Discord then that'd just feel out of place, ya know? I dunno, maybe it's accurate and Rayman is indeed not coming... But on the other hand, is it really that weird to think that Nintendo would want to work with very small supervision so that the info doesn't leak, the way it could have right here?
I hadn't heard about this, but with that being said, it only reinforces my point. The Pyra/Mythra reveal was the FIRST thing in that Direct, but is the ONLY thing this person didn't call? Come on, now. Also, add to this the FACT that no character has leaked since Terry came out. Remember at the beginning of Byleth's presentation when Sakurai started up by saying that this character was so secret that there were very few people even within Nintendo who knew about it? Despite it being the only Nintendo character in the Pass?? For over an entire year before the reveal??? We're liable to think that whatever measures taken to ensure no other character would leak applied to not only Byleth, but the entire 2nd Pass because, again, every single one has been a surprise. Hell, even Min Min doesn't detract from this because, let’s be real, we ALL knew it would be her.

My point with all of this mad rambling though is that Smash secrecy has cleary taken a high priority at Nintendo. It's incredibly likely that any associated 3rd Parties only included the absolute least amount of people necessary during meetings and such to ensure as little information could leak as possible.

Edit: Also meant to add a thank you ZoroCarlos, this info was VERY relevant, haha.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
This guy could have just gotten some random Brawlhalla leak, then went on discord messaging PapaGeno, claiming he worked for Ubisoft, and then made some **** up.
Also remember that it’s easy to Fake a Real Footage leak from another source. As the Footage could have been leaked from someone more secretive of this information. It’s not the first time that Papageno’s discord has given a Real Footage-Fake Leak

Last edited:

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
In truth, as the hours go by, I believe this "rumor" less.

I mean, not because of blindly believing that Rayman can get in, but because it's a weird situation. What you said before, the Fighter Pass 2 DLCs have not been leaked, which suggests that Nintendo saves the Characters very well.
Obviously Ubisoft would have signed a confidentiality agreement with Nintendo, and the Big N would have told them that only very few people knew this (If it is the case of having Rayman).

Likewise, I still believe that there have been conversations about some Ubisoft character as DLC because of Rabbid and Altaïr's Mii Costumes.

Well, we just have to wait for E3.

WE DO NOT LOSE HOPE!

RaymanicRM

Smash Rookie
In truth, as the hours go by, I believe this "rumor" less.

I mean, not because of blindly believing that Rayman can get in, but because it's a weird situation. What you said before, the Fighter Pass 2 DLCs have not been leaked, which suggests that Nintendo saves the Characters very well.
Obviously Ubisoft would have signed a confidentiality agreement with Nintendo, and the Big N would have told them that only very few people knew this (If it is the case of having Rayman).

Likewise, I still believe that there have been conversations about some Ubisoft character as DLC because of Rabbid and Altaïr's Mii Costumes.

Well, we just have to wait for E3.

WE DO NOT LOSE HOPE!
Agreed! I was actually super bummed when it came out but the more you think about it the less you believe it. Sure, the Brawlhalla leak is probably legit but it has been proven Nintendo are very strict on letting people know the next characters. And Ubisoft has made very suspicious **** about Smash in 2020 asking questions about it, but then when it gains attention they remove it

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Been thinking on it for about an hour. Don't think we should take it to mean anything.

For those unaware, Papa Genos uploaded a video earlier (here if you wanna watch https://youtu.be/-fbBSYaIbGA ) where he talks about an insider who has apparently showed him video proof of the TMNT coming to Brawlhalla, as well as claiming Street Fighter is also happening for that game. The apparent bad news is that this person claims to be in a position where they would be aware of any sort of crossover stuff Ubisoft is involved in, but apparently has heard nothing Smash related. People are taking this to mean that a Ubisoft character, i.e Rayman, probably isn't happening if this person hasn't heard about it.

My counter argument to this however, and what I implore all of you to keep in mind most of all, is that at the end of the day, we'll never know until Rayman shows up or the DLC ends without him. But on a more positive leaning note, don't forget about all the things we've still got going in our favor. The 3rd Party trademarks, the Ubisoft Montpelier team teasing something with Rayman and abruptly shutting up about it after confirming it wasn't for a new game, the Sam bot changing a specific servey question within 24 hours of people calling attention to it, and more recently we know that Ubisoft wants a more diverse lineup of games which could lead to a Rayman comeback in general.

Tl;dr There's plenty of reasons the Brawlhalla leak means nothing for Rayman in Smash, if it even turns out to be real. Even if Rayman doesn't come to Smash, there are more than enough reasons to believe he will still be back in some form eventually. Keep those heads high, Raybros.
The 3rd party trademarks and the Sam bot stuff I can believe, but the thing about that Rayman tease that was quickly shut down by Ubisoft and then confirmed that it wasn't for a new game is what I'm less confident about. Like a lot of you have said, Nintendo likes to keep Smash very, very private, so I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would leave a hypothetical Rayman reveal trailer to Ubisoft and then letting it slide like that. I believe that piece of footage is for some sort of animation celebrating Ubisoft's legacy and Rayman having an appearance in there.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
The 3rd party trademarks and the Sam bot stuff I can believe, but the thing about that Rayman tease that was quickly shut down by Ubisoft and then confirmed that it wasn't for a new game is what I'm less confident about. Like a lot of you have said, Nintendo likes to keep Smash very, very private, so I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would leave a hypothetical Rayman reveal trailer to Ubisoft and then letting it slide like that. I believe that piece of footage is for some sort of animation celebrating Ubisoft's legacy and Rayman having an appearance in there.
I would also like to point out in regards to this that Genos in one of his messages says "the leak seems real likely to me because it's a video" but remember that the Smash 4 Rayman leak was a video as well, and we all know how that turned out.

Point is, just because its a video doesn't automatically mean it's real. Plus. none of us have seen this video except for him.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I would also like to point out in regards to this that Genos in one of his messages says "the leak seems real likely to me because it's a video" but remember that the Smash 4 Rayman leak was a video as well, and we all know how that turned out.

Point is, just because its a video doesn't automatically mean it's real. Plus. none of us have seen this video except for him.
I mean, the video being real or not is the least of our concerns here. I believe it's real but that doesn't necessarily have to do with this person knowing about Smash.

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
Thank God I've come to this thread so my worries, about Rayman had been kind of cooled down.
As the rest mentioned the fact how sctrict Nintendo has been with Smash leaks, sure makes me think that some random Ubisoft Marketer wouldn't know about that.
And despite the fact that the video being real may not be our worries, obviously it wouldn't hurt if it's confirmed to be fake, as it would decrease chances of leak being real. Plus remember Cacomallow leak? The one with Cacodemon and Mallow Mii costumes that had both a picture and a live footage with Ken? It was super well done and almost everyone agreed that it must be true, considering how creating custom Mii models was said to be ultra hard, but now that Geno is deconfirmed it's most likely fake as well. Although don't know too much about Brawlhalla and it's fanbase so idk if leaks like these are common in Brawhalla's fanbases.
Also isn't it yet another big leak, that everyone and their dogs agreed that it deconfirms or confirms a character? Ryu/Doom Slayer/Rayman or Crash/Monster Hunter Concert Leak are the most obvious ones that comes to my mind. All of them fake. So untill the next Smash reveal at E3 I'm not believing any leaks for now.

Misterfan2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Misterfan2000
So, PapaGenos uploaded a new video:

About our situation he has only said that the "rumors" of "Mario + Rabbids 2: A Teensie Bit of Trouble" are false (which even we knew) because it is seen that a member of his Discord was adjudged as the creator of the original hoax.

In other way, he has not said anything more about what we have thought in this group (or at least it has seemed so to me), and I think that's a bit bad that he did not say it, he is giving an image that a character from Ubisoft is already impossible according to rumors.

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet

About our situation he has only said that the "rumors" of "Mario + Rabbids 2: A Teensie Bit of Trouble" are false (which even we knew) because it is seen that a member of his Discord was adjudged as the creator of the original hoax.

In other way, he has not said anything more about what we have thought in this group (or at least it has seemed so to me), and I think that's a bit bad that he did not say it, he is giving an image that a character from Ubisoft is already impossible according to rumors.
At this point, I'm just sticking to what I said here a few days ago: if Rayman happens then we'll see, if not, then there's still reasons to believe he'll be back.

As for this apparent "hint"... I SINCERELY hope we're not getting what would be the 3RD JRPG character in a row and the hypothetical 6th overall out of 11 total characters. I'm sorry, I don't care who you are, but over half of the DLC picks being from a single genre that's already adequately represented while there are plenty that are either lacking or STILL nonexistent is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
At this point, I'm just sticking to what I said here a few days ago: if Rayman happens then we'll see, if not, then there's still reasons to believe he'll be back.

As for this apparent "hint"... I SINCERELY hope we're not getting what would be the 3RD JRPG character in a row and the hypothetical 6th overall out of 11 total characters. I'm sorry, I don't care who you are, but over half of the DLC picks being from a single genre that's already adequately represented while there are plenty that are either lacking or STILL nonexistent is just ridiculous.
Perfect finale for me would be something like Arle to represent puzzle games and either a FPS character like Chief/Doom Slayer or platformer like Crash or Rayman.

I'm fine with pretty much all the RPG additions. I've even accepted Byleth. But we really should leave it how it is... Maybe Lloyd in the next game, but that's about it.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice

This. I know that JRPG's are very popular in Japan, but dammit, I just want some variety in video game genre representation for this pass.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Let me get it straight, this leaker is saying no Ubisoft rep will come to Smash because they just assume they would have that info by now if it was happening?

weirdchamp.jpg

I'm not buying that, especially when they've been doing a pretty good job at keeping the DLC secret as of late. Even if something does end up slipping through the cracks, it usually isn't weeks before a reveal like this. Also, way to put themselves on a pedestal. "If I don't see it, it isn't there" yeah sure budyy.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let me get it straight, this leaker is saying no Ubisoft rep will come to Smash because they just assume they would have that info by now if it was happening?

View attachment 315876
I'm not buying that, especially when they've been doing a pretty good job at keeping the DLC secret as of late. Even if something does end up slipping through the cracks, it usually isn't weeks before a reveal like this. Also, way to put themselves on a pedestal. "If I don't see it, it isn't there" yeah sure budyy.
Exactly. Nintendo has been pretty solid on keeping the identities of the Smash DLC fighters a secret after Terry. Some will argue MinMin was leaked, but a large chunk of people were guessing her to begin with given her popularity and the fact she won the last major tournament.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Rayman makes it in, it's going to be pretty tough not to be real damn petty about it.
I'm not sure who you'd be petty towards (it's not like the E3 2019 days, where the Banjo and Steve threads had a rivalry going on), but I wouldn't recommend it; being a sore winner (whether it's mocking specific people who thought the character wouldn't get in, or going into threads of "competing" characters to kick them while they're down) tends to be seen as trolling.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Yeah don't go out of your way to be a jerk to others. Odds are that most people who didn't believe in Rayman will probably be happy for his inclusion regardless. So going all "told you so" on them is probably just gonna make you look bad.

Unless the person is being an edgy saltlord about Rayman getting in. In that case, go wild.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
WHERE is this supposed TMNT brawlhalla video?
We don't have access to it. Papagenos claims to have seen it from the source (Shows a screenshot of his DMs with a video on it but it's censored) and doesn't want to leak it to not get the Ubisoft employee in trouble. So take it as you will, though personally I don't take Papa for a liar even though he's been wrong about things.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I have never played the original Rayman, but after playing a little bit of Redemption i can safely it's a superior version, i mean you start with the ability to run for one.

I've been actually thinking quite long about this and I've came into the inclusion that we have too keep our hopes low on this one.

Rayman 3 being unreleased in Japan is one thing, but another bugging fact is that... Rayman 3 never semed like a priority to Ubisoft and it pains me to say it, as it's my favorite game in the entire series and the one that I have the biggest nostalgia for, but when you look at how Rayman 3 was seen through the years, you could say that without Rabbids, this one would take a spot as the black sheep of the series. Starting with way lower sales and reviews compared to the first two games, the fact that it had always very few re-releases and it's general perception is least favorable. Rayman 1 is obviously classic that started it all, famous for one of the best selling games on PS1, famous for it's beautiful graphics and music and well... infamous for it's difficulty. Rayman 2 was this giant hit that is still considered to be one of the best and most revolutionary 3D platformers of all time and Origins and Legends gained even more audiance with it's beautiful visuals and good and challenging gameplay.
Rayman 3 is just seen as a... good game and that's it. It saddens me as looking at the fact how WELL it aged and how much charm it has, but it shouldn't be suprising really considering the fact that the other entries in the series had set the bar so high.

So yeah when looking at Rayman 3 rep I wouldn't count for too much, but I don't think we aren't getting anything. Ubisoft would probably work closely with Nintendo as other third parties and they probably would at least show some of the stuff from 3 that has potential as moveset/skin color, spirit or music track. So what I'm expecting is:
  • two or three moves from 3 implemented into the moveset (the most common predictions are Lockjaws as his grab and Helicopter as his recovery)
  • Combat Fatigues colors as a few of his skin colors
  • Andre as a spirit
  • Hoodoo Sorcerer as a one music track, which is perfectly fine, but would they remix it or not? idk
it's weird how Rayman 3 is seen that seeing how that was the game that introduced Rayman's redesign, which has become a permanent change.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only Rayman games I've beaten are Origins and Legends, though I do own a PS1 copy of the original game (never beat it though).

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
Imagine her take on this track. My god....
Even if you prefer the 3D Rayman games to the modern 2D ones, the one thing you absolutely have to give them is the soundtracks. Origins' OST was already such a phenomenal breath of fresh air while still feeling like Rayman, but then Legends came around and put out an absolute GOD TIER orchestral performance up there with stuff like the 3D Mario and Zelda titles, God of War, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, to name a few. Rayman Legends is one of only a handful of games that I've played that I consider to have a straight up 11/10 OST. Praying that most of Rayman's song remixes are from Legends if he gets in.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am hoping this might be finally Rayman's chances. With the exception of maybe Geno and Doomguy, this fanbase has taken the most hits with the "he is likely in" comments that have never happened.

Still, Rayman isn't Japanese IP and I am starting to doubt we will get a non-Japanese IP in the rest of this pass. It just seems like Nintendo favors the Japanese IP (Banjo and Steve seem more like the exception). It is probably a lot easier to work with Japanese companies (especially during COVID-19).

Sakurai has also commented often in the past that move set potential is a big factor in adding characters to the game. In Brawl, Pacman, Villager, Ridley, and others were cut early because Sakurai could not think of a way to bring them to life properly (this obviously changed).

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
I am hoping this might be finally Rayman's chances. With the exception of maybe Geno and Doomguy, this fanbase has taken the most hits with the "he is likely in" comments that have never happened.

Still, Rayman isn't Japanese IP and I am starting to doubt we will get a non-Japanese IP in the rest of this pass. It just seems like Nintendo favors the Japanese IP (Banjo and Steve seem more like the exception). It is probably a lot easier to work with Japanese companies (especially during COVID-19).

Sakurai has also commented often in the past that move set potential is a big factor in adding characters to the game. In Brawl, Pacman, Villager, Ridley, and others were cut early because Sakurai could not think of a way to bring them to life properly (this obviously changed).
Ehh, I wouldn't think too much on the moveset potential. Remember that the shotos (Ryu, Ken and Terry) are all pretty much translated straight from their source games verbatim. If Sakurai REALLY couldn't think of anything, Rayman already has like 90% of his moveset done thanks to Origins/Legends. And even then, Sakurai has repeatedly done the impossible. If a character like Steve can be faithfully represented, then there's no reason to think Sakurai wouldn't have a field day making a moveset based around a character having no limbs.

Also keep in mind that most of our "hints" never actually pointed to a specific time frame for WHEN Rayman might show up. Only thing that came close was the 3rd party trademarks lining up with Banjo's before he got revealed, so we just assumed Rayman's would be similar. Now that we know Steve was in negotiations of some form for 5 years though, it's entirely possible that Rayman is just coming much later than when the trademarks were filed. Remember that they had to be filed regardless of when the character shows up too, the fact that Nintendo is, hypothetically, using it at all would be enough.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ehh, I wouldn't think too much on the moveset potential. Remember that the shotos (Ryu, Ken and Terry) are all pretty much translated straight from their source games verbatim. If Sakurai REALLY couldn't think of anything, Rayman already has like 90% of his moveset done thanks to Origins/Legends. And even then, Sakurai has repeatedly done the impossible. If a character like Steve can be faithfully represented, then there's no reason to think Sakurai wouldn't have a field day making a moveset based around a character having no limbs.

Also keep in mind that most of our "hints" never actually pointed to a specific time frame for WHEN Rayman might show up. Only thing that came close was the 3rd party trademarks lining up with Banjo's before he got revealed, so we just assumed Rayman's would be similar. Now that we know Steve was in negotiations of some form for 5 years though, it's entirely possible that Rayman is just coming much later than when the trademarks were filed. Remember that they had to be filed regardless of when the character shows up too, the fact that Nintendo is, hypothetically, using it at all would be enough.
I hope you are right, it just seems like Nintendo very much favors characters that are popular in Japan and I am not sure Rayman is that big over there.

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
I hope you are right, it just seems like Nintendo very much favors characters that are popular in Japan and I am not sure Rayman is that big over there.
I mean, you're right, we are 10 characters into the DLC counting Piranha Plant, and all but 2 of them are Japanese IP's lol. Fighter's Pass specifically, 7.5/9 of them are more Japan leaning, aesthetically speaking. In a time where it seems like you'd think Nintendo would be thinking in a more general sense for characters that fans want, it can be a bit discouraging to see that they're still mostly catering to a single demographic.

Edit: And as far as Rayman's Japanese popularity goes, keep in mind that Banjo is in Smash. And it's all but confirmed that only even happened because they were already negotiating Steve and got thrown a bonus that just happened to a pretty popular character request.

Last edited:

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
And as far as Rayman's Japanese popularity goes, keep in mind that Banjo is in Smash. And it's all but confirmed that only even happened because they were already negotiating Steve and got thrown a bonus that just happened to a pretty popular character request.
I've said it once and I've said it again, Sakurai and his team at this point really have no problem with putting Western Characters (Dark Samus, King. K Rool, Banjo, Steve) or Japanese ones that are mostly popular in the West (Little Mac, Ridley), their biggest bias may be that it's way easier to work with Japanese companies than with Western ones, especially during Covid.
Like let's take Minecraft's music for Smash. From what I've seen C4 had no idea about it, so it's not like he declined, but, they didn't want to contact - from what their point of view was, some, non-Japanese speaking guy who's currently living in Sweden as development of Steve was already hellish enough. If Minecraft was a Japanese creation they probably would take an effort to contact with the composer (like they did with Dragon Quest).
So Nintendo and Sakurai probably wanna work only with Western companies, with whom they have a great relationship like Microsoft (I'm counting Bethesda with them too) and Ubisoft.

Dudes imagine if Rayman got in Smash and the actual legend Yoko Shimomura did a new Rayman remix, that would be godlike.
When it comes to my favorite composers and those who make remixes for Smash, my dream team for Rayman's new arrangements would be ACE guys, Yoko Shimomura, Yuzo Koshiro, Masafumi Takada and Jun Senoue (although I know him might be the least likely as he only made one Mega Man remix and then yeeted lmao).
Hell I'd be cool if they would let Grant Kirkophe make an arrangement, as he already did one (which was meet with high acclaim) and considering Rayman's Western roots and how Grant worked on Mario + Rabbids soundtrack, I'd be a really cool thing to see, but it may be a pipe dream.

Top Bottom