• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Keep in mind, if Rayman got announced on a company-centered stream, it'd be on a Nintendo Direct, nowhere else. The only exceptions are for the Game Awards, which involve many companies and don't focus on a specific one.

The only thing I'd expect on the UbiForward itself is Mario + Rabbids 2.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
With Ubisoft and Nintendo being announced Day 1 of the E3 3-Day Week, the significance of a Back-to-Back of a Nintendo/Ubisoft content collaboration is at an All-Time Highly Probability. Once more the announcements will be seperate Cross Reveal with:

• Ubiforward Event Showcase presents Mario + Rabbids Sequel
  • Nintendo Direct Event Showcase presents a Smash Bros Ultimate DLC Character Pack of the Rayman Pack

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Another thing. Since Rayman's hands can be projectiles from a special move, it can be pocketed or drained. He can't attack with his hands anymore until they respawn or getting them back.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Another thing. Since Rayman's hands can be projectiles from a special move, it can be pocketed or drained. He can't attack with his hands anymore until they respawn or getting them back.
Would probably work like Pyra's Flaming Edge. She just gets a new sword if it's pocketed, since taking it permanently gives her an unfair disadvantage.

Can't imagine Rayman going a whole match with just one hand, since they would also be used for his other attacks.

Maupiszon

Smash Rookie
So I've been thinking more about Rayman stage and just like majority of people who want our Rayboy into Smash I think that Band Land would be a perfect candidate for this, considering it's so iconic (not beacuse it's the part where people get stuck forever) and it's pretty unique compared to other already existing Smash stages as there isn't music oriented stage.

So I've made a small gimmick regards the stage and made kinda crappy sketches, how I would like it to play out.

So our main "Battlefield" would be a giant bongo, reminiscent of Rayman 1. Of course background would be be completely based of how Band Land looked like in the first game.
The main gimmick would also reference Rayman 1. You remember how in Rayman 1, when you heard this specific "sparkling" sound effect, you can expect something to randomly to appear just before you, or behind you be it - a cage, life or an enemy. So I think it's only appropriate to reference it in the stage as well!
It would work just as I described - when you hear the sparkling sound, the portion of the stage - mainly the parts outside our main platform. There would be three combinations.

First one would replace the parts outside our main battlefield, where our character can fall off, with bongos. So these parts will be safe to land and you can only launch your foe in opposite directions. But what will differ those bongos compared to the one from our main stage is that you can bounce off them - and similiar how it functions in Rayman Origins - if you use stall-then-fall move (esentially a ground pound) you will bounce of even higher with it gaining even more crazier hights if you launch your opponent directly into the bongos, being able to even launch them straight into their Star K.O if their percentage is high enough. I can only imagine all sorts of funny situations you can have with other players in this stage set.

This second set features the unpopular spiky notes from the first game. And this part is rather self-explanatory - jumping on them isn't the best idea, neither is scenario where you're launched directly into them.

The third and the last one (and the one where you can see that I got lazy with sketching xD) features birds from Rayman Origins music world - Desert of Dijiridoos. Considering that world is musical in nature as well, I think featuring characters from it in the Band Land stage is only fitting.
The birds works just as they do in the Rayman Origins - they sit on the staff and work as small limited platforms - if you sit on them for too long, they will slowly descend from the staff and if they cross the final line of the staff they will fly away, but don't worry, they will be back soon! They will also fly away if anybody attacks them.

So yeah that's all I've wanted to show, it's probably not too much of an crazy idea, but I personally liked it and I think it's simple enough as Rayman doesn't need some crazy, too-gimmicky stage and this one is simple and perfectly represents goofinees of the series.

Apologize for any spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language and I'm really tired right now haha.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I am KoopaSaki and I make this series called for smash which showcases smash characters and my memories of speculating for the character. Can anyone refresh my memory if Rayman was speculated for at all during the Brawl days and if so, what was our greatest lead? Additionally what were the big moments for us during the smash 4 speculation days? I can remember my critical moments with the artsy omni fake leak and a few fake 4chan leaks when Ultimate was nearing release, but that is about all I can remember. So I would appreciate if any of you could refresh my memory a bit so I can produce the best for smash episode I have made yet.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I am KoopaSaki and I make this series called for smash which showcases smash characters and my memories of speculating for the character. Can anyone refresh my memory if Rayman was speculated for at all during the Brawl days and if so, what was our greatest lead? Additionally what were the big moments for us during the smash 4 speculation days? I can remember my critical moments with the artsy omni fake leak and a few fake 4chan leaks when Ultimate was nearing release, but that is about all I can remember. So I would appreciate if any of you could refresh my memory a bit so I can produce the best for smash episode I have made yet.
The Brawl days... if I had to make a guess, probably near nonexistent. Third party characters back in the day were considered impossible besides the big shots like Sonic or Megaman. Way different to how things are handled nowadays.

Besides the Omni leak, an important part of the Smash 4 era was the Rayman trophy which was shown off soon before a character reveal, which ended up being Lucina and Robin, but a lot of people anticipated Rayman just because of the trophy.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd say demand for Rayman on a wide scale took off with Smash 4, even before the trophy reveal. After all, Origins & Legends were still hot new titles with critical acclaim at the time, compared to the Brawl era when Rayman was pushed to the wayside by the Rabbids.

On a different note, I stumbled across this cover art for an old, late 90's magazine called "Disney Adventures".
Wouldn't you know it, our boy was featured alongside Spyro, Mario, Sonic, Crash, Donkey Kong, & Pokémon!

disney_adventures_gaming_guide_november_1999_by_adjeca_d86h3bt-fullview.jpg

Now how cool is it that Ray, even as a less established IP at the time, was seen as significant enough to share the spotlight with the big boys, if only for this one magazine?

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'd say demand for Rayman on a wide scale took off with Smash 4, even before the trophy reveal. After all, Origins & Legends were still hot new titles with critical acclaim at the time, compared to the Brawl era when Rayman was pushed to the wayside by the Rabbids.

On a different note, I stumbled across this cover art for an old, late 90's magazine called "Disney Adventures".
Wouldn't you know it, our boy was featured alongside Spyro, Mario, Sonic, Crash, Donkey Kong, & Pokémon!

View attachment 311995

Now how cool is it that Ray, even as a less established IP at the time, was seen as significant enough to share the spotlight with the big boys, if only for this one magazine?
Pikachu feels so out of place lol

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 311995

Rayman, Spyro, Sonic, Crash, and Mario in the same book. That's LEGENDary, if you know what I mean.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You think that's something? Get a load of THIS:

This book, which came out in 2018, has all of the aforementioned heroes and then some, 120 of them (the term "hero" having a rather broad definition in France, since this mentions anyone that's iconic enough). Kinda wished they used a different Pac-Man render though.

I should stress that Rayman and the Rabbids are worthy enough to be in the same book. Over a decade ago, that would have been unthinkable.

This is Donkey Kong erasure! Probably my favorite platformer series. 😢
I'm currently hoping that gets something announced sometime this Summer, for the anniversary.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Many people already answered but yeah the demand kinda started when Sakurai showed off a Rayman trophy on miiverse the midnight before a smash reveal (which turned out to be Robin rip) and then later boomed during the fake Artsy Omni leak. It's also boomed a bit during the ultimate cycle and still growing at a steady pace, with rayman scoring higher on fan polls these days and with the Rayman for Smash campaign becoming the most followed smash campaign on twitter. 0_0

View attachment 311995

I think this magazine is where the pancake meme comes from correct?
EEGZpngXYAAs_QQ (1).png

This book, which came out in 2018, has all of the aforementioned heroes and then some, 120 of them (the term "hero" having a rather broad definition in France, since this mentions anyone that's iconic enough). Kinda wished they used a different Pac-Man render though.

I should stress that Rayman and the Rabbids are worthy enough to be in the same book. Over a decade ago, that would have been unthinkable.

I'm currently hoping that gets something announced sometime this Summer, for the anniversary.
Yo can you post a link to the source of this book?

Lyncario

Smash Ace

I mean, this book is french, so it kinda makes sense that famous french video game characters are in it.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

Greatest Video Game Heroes
Trevor Phillips
oh

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The nicest thing about it is that the more noteworthy heroes get their own two-page spreads for their articles. Both Rayman and the Rabbids get that honor, alongside the likes of :ultmario:, :ultdk: :ultsnake:, :ultsteve:, :ultmegaman:, Kratos and Master Chief, among several others.

Yeah, there's some surprising inclusions in this, so like I've said, the definition of hero is pretty broad in France, in regards to context, so in this case it's anyone that can qualify as a protagonist or mascot of the game. They put in a Call of Duty character. They put in the Space Invaders (although to be fair the cannon is such a non-character). They even put in GlaDOS (who kinda had a change of heart in Portal 2).

Also, for :ultwario: they brought up his negative qualities in a way that points out that it's part of his charm.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
The main reason why I want Rayman in Smash ultimate because I want Ubisoft to revive the Rayman franchise. He been out of the gaming industry so long sense Legends.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Rayman would certainly be given a massive boost in popularity simply for being playable in Smash

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The main reason why I want Rayman in Smash ultimate because I want Ubisoft to revive the Rayman franchise. He been out of the gaming industry so long sense Legends.
Yeah, well, us :ultbanjokazooie: fans are still waiting for their series to come back. Bupkis so far, so I don't know whether it'd work.

I want Rayman in because I want him to be immortalized in Smash. Also, to have him mingle with the KI cast and hopefully eventually fight their Hades.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Rayman would certainly be given a massive boost in popularity simply for being playable in Smash
He'd get a big bump, for sure.

It'd be nice to get some brand new, affordable Rayman merch to snag, too (amiibo). All we have are old shirts, expensive McDonald's toys, and very rare statues.

I mainly want him in because Rayman was my very first favorite game. The first one came out when I was pretty young and I've been enchanted ever since. When the sequel came out, the strategy guide was my prized possession.

Rayman is a crucially iconic part of my childhood and taking on gaming's greatest with the limbless lad is a little Boorepellent's wildest dreams made manifest.

G-Star

Smash Cadet
The reason why I want Rayman in Smash used to be just to see what Nintendo could, but that was back in 2014-2015. My love for Rayman has grew since then, and now I want because he became my Most Wanted Newcomer.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
The reason why I want Rayman in Smash used to be just to see what Nintendo could, but that was back in in 20145-2015. My love for Rayman has grew since then, and now I want because he became my Most Wanted Newcomer.
the year 20145?

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
That's part of my reasoning as well, but I also think he has plenty of moveset potential. He'd be unique compared to the other 3rd party characters. I also just really like the series, and the character.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
The reason I want Rayman is like a combination of all the above. I've played Rayman games as far back as age 4 (tho I feel I wasn't truly a fan until Origins hit in 2011-12). The series hasn't missed a beat yet imo, but it's got alot of room to grow. Problem is Ubisoft would rather leave their first breakout IP on the shelf with only NSMB-level auto-runners & the occasional half-assed guest spot in a really niche game, hence why getting Ray into Smash is so tantalizing.
It could be the big wakeup call for Ubisoft that people want more from the series.

However, as some of y'all have pointed out, even landing in Smash doesn't guarantee a return to form, as shown with :ultpacman: & (atleast for now):ultbanjokazooie: .

But even if a spot in Smash doesn't affect anything, I'd still take comfort in knowing that Ray will have been immortalized & cemented as a legit icon in a fun game where I can pair him up with my other childhood favorites like Mario, DK or Kirby.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Rayman gets into Smash, they better use this as his Victory Theme:

BTW fun fact: the laugh in this jingle is used as the Hangedman's laugh in The House of the Dead.
I share the sentiment, 100%. Editing the Origins/Legends one would be a hassle anyways.

Incidentally, the first HOTD is getting a remake soon.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

BTW fun fact: the laugh in this jingle is used as the Hangedman's laugh in The House of the Dead.
I imagine two possible victory tracks, either the looms melody jingle after collecting them in each level from Origins & Legends or This one with some updated quality sounds.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

Also, I probably may have already said this before, but I think they should also add music from Rayman 1, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Rayman M/Arena, Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, and, if possible, maybe even Rayman Raving Rabbids.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Does anyone know where the rights to Rayman's music lie? As in who owns them? Ubisoft or the composers themselves?

I'd love to have a lot of music from across the series, ofc. But as noted by Sakurai when talking about Sephiroth, that might be a little too complicated, considering almost every game has a different composer, and thus more people to go around and negotiate with.

Rayman 1, Origins, and Legends are safe in my book, at least. It's the other games, especially 3, that I'm wondering about.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does anyone know where the rights to Rayman's music lie? As in who owns them? Ubisoft or the composers themselves?

I'd love to have a lot of music from across the series, ofc. But as noted by Sakurai when talking about Sephiroth, that might be a little too complicated, considering almost every game has a different composer, and thus more people to go around and negotiate with.

Rayman 1, Origins, and Legends are safe in my book, at least. It's the other games, especially 3, that I'm wondering about.
I think that anything that isn't a non-game licensed song parody is kosher enough to include. No one in their right mind would assume that Black Betty is viable, for example. Ubi doesn't seem like the kind that would be particularly difficult about that (compared to Square-Enix being like navigating The House That Drives You Mad in terms of red tape).

Besides, Remi Gazel is no longer among us, so...I would like to think they'd do it for his sake. 😔

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Can't seem to find any info on it unfortunately, not even on the Rayman wiki. Considering the copious amounts of rereleases Rayman 2 has had, I can't imagine that its music is too hard to acquire lmao.

Rayman 3 is definitely the weird one here. Madder was removed from the HD version but that's about the only tangible thing in terms of copyright contention.

Top Bottom