• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The optimist in me wants to believe it's for Rayman having a mechanic where projectiles can pass through the gaps where he lacks limbs, but honestly I wouldn't give this much attention. Besides Rayman has a ton of other stuff pointing to his inclusion at this point that it's pretty safe to say he's got a better chance than most.
Same, I don't really put stock into glitches cause we've had plenty of cases where they led to nowhere. Some say this means Touhou but if we had some of the most popular indies only get miis and assists, I doubt a niche one will get a fighter.

As for the nintendo responding to that letter, I think it's dope, but doesn't mean much either way, since it's not like they'll confirm or deconfirm a character when replying to fan mail

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
warned people about MH Rise event
no one believed me
yet it eventually came
The delay was odd, but at least I got some vindication once again.

It’s 50/50, but hopefully our boi BROLI (Rayman) will pull through come E3
We'll have to see, I guess. It would have to depend if we don't get any Smash news before June.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Random but I do hope if Rayman gets in that his standard A attacks aren't just a carbon copy of what he does in the UbiArt games.

I think those games did a good job of it feeling like a smash moveset in a way, but at the same time if Sakurai were take advantage of the fact that he was Limbless, there's a plethora of untapped potential for his moves!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Random but I do hope if Rayman gets in that his standard A attacks aren't just a carbon copy of what he does in the UbiArt games.

I think those games did a good job of it feeling like a smash moveset in a way, but at the same time if Sakurai were take advantage of the fact that he was Limbless, there's a plethora of untapped potential for his moves!
If :ultmegaman: was any indication, I don't think we'd have to worry too much about that, seeing as only one of his moves is exclusively from his fighting appearances. Even :ultsonic: was intentionally patterned after his series' first game's controls in regards to how simple his moveset is, and still plays distinctively enough.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what a good ebb and flow to a Rayman moveset would be. He makes sense as a zoner mechanically, but if they reduce the range on his attacks (barring taking the time for a long wind up) they could make him more of an all-rounder.

I personally hope his normals are good, with less emphasis placed on his projectiles and gimmicks, I guess. What do you folks think?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I wonder what a good ebb and flow to a Rayman moveset would be. He makes sense as a zoner mechanically, but if they reduce the range on his attacks (barring taking the time for a long wind up) they could make him more of an all-rounder.

I personally hope his normals are good, with less emphasis placed on his projectiles and gimmicks, I guess. What do you folks think?
Yeah I agree, I hope he isn't too gimmicky and instead they just focus on giving him moves that are unique with his limblessness but not overly complicated to use.
For as popular as Crash Bandicoot is as a potential fighter in the fighter's pass, Rayman has more value to Nintendo with the Rabbids sub-franchise and with Mario vs. Rabbids so Rayman does have that working at its favour.
People often overlook how close ubisoft is with Nintendo. Combine that with Rayman being one of the most requested characters these days I think he still has a good shot, if not for Ultimate then definitely future games

RaymanicRM

Smash Rookie

In my moveset idea I thought it would be really neat if they made his a button sorta like Megaman's but instead he can use his Wind Up fists and move around like in Rayman 3. Or they could even do the Lum Orbs from Rayman 2. Rayman can move around and shoot them like Megaman but with full control and mostly lock on opponents

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

G-Star

Smash Cadet
I was thinking the same thing but...….

Rayman Classic Mode Route:

Smash Legends

Theme is about Rayman taking on other Legendary Platformers

Round 1: Mario

Round 2: Sonic The Hedgehog

Round 3: Mega Man

Round 4: PAC-MAN

Round 5: Donkey Kong

Round 6: Banjo

Bonus Round

Final Round: Rathalos

To make things more Rayman like.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Sure enough, Ubi is in attendance for the current preliminary lineup of E3.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...-_nintendo_xbox_capcom_and_more_all_confirmed

Also, if E3 2019 taught us anything, it's that it's possible to have both a highly-talked about mainstream character and an underdog demand at once.
This actually benefits Rayman extremely well along with the Fact that Activision is not looking to attend the event with the other’s, which makes a Crash Bandicoot reveal Highly Unlikely and Microsoft already has gotten a DLC Character Pack in Minecraft, leaving only 1 Western Company left to get that Western Reveal Spot with Ubisoft being Highly Likely to get that spot.
I was thinking the same thing but...….

Smash Legends

Theme is about Rayman taking on other Legendary Platformers

Round 6: Banjo

Bonus Round

Final Round: Rathalos

To make things more Rayman like.
Here’s my 2-cents for a Classic Mode Route

Vs. Legends

Theme is about Rayman taking on other Legendary Platformer’s

Round 6: Mr. Game & Watch

Bonus Round

Final Round: Master Hand & Crazy Hand

[Edit] Originally I thought Banjo would fit nicely with the Rayman Classic Mode Route, but I did a quick research on All the DLC Inclusions Classic Modes and none have any of the DLC Characters in their Routes. So instead I just went with the Genesis of Platformer’s himself Mr. Game & Watch
It would be Awesome for Banjo to be in Rayman’s Classic Mode Route but because of Past DLC Characters not showing up in New Classic Mode Routes it’s highly unlikely we can ever have that

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure that "...And more to come!" suggests there will be more companies than just the big ones that have been listed.

Also, Acti does have a tendency to drop big news around the time of E3 (or the closest equivalent), such as N. Sane Trilogy, Nitro-Fueled's DLC, Crash 4 and even something as small as N. Sane's Future Tense level. So, be on the lookout for something from them, even if it's not Smash.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that "...And more to come!" suggests there will be more companies than just the big ones that have been listed.

Also, Acti does have a tendency to drop big news around the time of E3 (or the closest equivalent), such as N. Sane Trilogy, Nitro-Fueled's DLC, Crash 4 and even something as small as N. Sane's Future Tense level. So, be on the lookout for something from them, even if it's not Smash.
That’s true they drop Big News around E3 but in a counterpoint to that the News is solely for Activision Exclusive Game content yet No Console Collaborative Exclusive content, which is what E3 is always about Collaboration Reveals as both Nintendo and Ubisoft being announced for the Event simultaneously means that Nintendo has something planned for Ubisoft related content, while Activision have NOTHING planned for E3 makes the case that Activision NEVER had any plans with Nintendo of anything collaborative

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it, there's very little to no arguments that could ACTUALLY be used against Rayman due to the fact that most of the detractors' arguments either have been debunked or don't logically make sense.

Also check out my moveset for our boy: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PaFJMF6__r0qnFs1oBktOp7kSDjTD1xkG0LfVogBE0/edit
I really like this moveset. I don't think I've seen one use the super helicopter before, and now that I think about it, it's perfect representation.

The combat fatigues as the grabs are a nice touch. As neat as the fatigues are, having the entire moveset centered around it wouldn't represent the entire Rayman series all too well, in my humble opinion. Since most folks see the lockjaw as the perfect grab, having it lead into the other fatigues is very natural.

Also, the sleeping walking shell is brilliant.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, there is a couple arguments I can think of that do make sense.

One: first come, first serve. It's not secret that no matter what, not every viable character that wasn't a newcomer before is guaranteed to get in one Smash game's lifespan (until further notice), so quite a bit will have to be possibly left with minor content as compensation, if they get anything at all.

Two: The denial that there will be one more DLC extension that would give Rayman another chance to get in before they close up shop, regardless of whatever possible evidence has been spotted in the code, Ninty websites, or elsewheree.

Other than that, any other argument is nonsense.

That being said, there's no telling how many companies will just do their own streams and ignore E3.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/04/07/e3-is-back-and-may-help-clean-up-the-summer-game-mess/

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Well, there is a couple arguments I can think of that do make sense.

One: first come, first serve. It's not secret that no matter what, not every viable character that wasn't a newcomer before is guaranteed to get in one Smash game's lifespan (until further notice), so quite a bit will have to be possibly left with minor content as compensation, if they get anything at all.

Two: The denial that there will be one more DLC extension that would give Rayman another chance to get in before they close up shop, regardless of whatever possible evidence has been spotted in the code, Ninty websites, or elsewheree.

Other than that, any other argument is nonsense.
It’s basically sensical for Indie or Non-Mainstream Studios, however Ubisoft (and Tecmo) are on the Hot Seat of Fighter Pack(s) because of Nintendo Triple AAA Content Creative Collaboration with Minor DLC Content which is what the Past DLC Collaborators have been as:

- Square Enix creating exclusives for Nintendo Content like Bravely Default, Super Mario RPG, Octopath Traveler, many other games that are/have been on the Nintendo Console Brands. Because of that they have 2-Fighter Packs in Hero :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: and Sephiroth:ultsephiroth: Packs

- SEGA creating exclusives for Nintendo Content like Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Bayonetta, etc. games for the Nintendo Consoles. We than got the Joker:ultjoker: Pack for the Game

- Microsoft owned Studios Rareware and Mojang created Nintendo Console Branded Games like Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye 007 and Minecraft for Wii U. So than we got Banjo and Kazooie :ultbanjokazooie: and Minecraft :ultsteve: Packs out of it.

- SNK and Sakurai have been the sole purpose of the existence of Super Smash Bros entire essence and creation, which we would get an entire SNK Collection of Content in the Terry:ult_terry: Pack.

So with that being said Ubisoft (and Tecmo) are integral in Nintendo’s success with Exclusive Nintendo Products that Nintendo will Without Question go to for Fighter Pack content, as you mentioned it’s “First Come, First Serve” but only to Nintendo Selected Collaborators that helped put their own Brand in the Success they are in right now. Especially when it’s Collaborators that have Switch Content they no doubt want to promote like Rayman Legends internationally including Japan (and even the Ninja Gaiden Collection coming to the Switch)

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The only viable arguement against him really is that he's not big in Japan, and despite what the regulars in the newcomer speculation thread want ya to think, that rule won't hold up forever as we get more smash games and they run out of more interesting japanese 3rd parties to add. They're eventually gonna have to branch out to more western picks to raise hype for future games

G-Star

Smash Cadet
I really like this moveset. I don't think I've seen one use the super helicopter before, and now that I think about it, it's perfect representation.

The combat fatigues as the grabs are a nice touch. As neat as the fatigues are, having the entire moveset centered around it wouldn't represent the entire Rayman series all too well, in my humble opinion. Since most folks see the lockjaw as the perfect grab, having it lead into the other fatigues is very natural.

Also, the sleeping walking shell is brilliant.
Thanks, dude! Yeah, I figured since Rayfans often scrap the ideas having all the fatigues except Lockjaw and the Throttle Copter as part of his moveset, or often debate on whether his Up Special should be the Throttle Coper or Super Helicopter, I figured "Why not both?" And decided to make the Super Helicopter the Up Special and make the Throttle Copter the Up Throw, with having the other fatigues as part of the Grab Attacks. Also when I made the Walking Shell part of the Side Special, I decided to o all in and make act just like it does in Rayman 2. I also changed to palette swaps to be Rayman, Raybox, Vortex, Heavy Metal Fist, Lockjaw, Sir Rayalot, Raymesis and Plumber Ray. I also forgot to mention that Rayman can use both of his fists for his Neutral Special. It'll just leave him more vulnerable.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
The only viable arguement against him really is that he's not big in Japan, and despite what the regulars in the newcomer speculation thread want ya to think, that rule won't hold up forever as we get more smash games and they run out of more interesting japanese 3rd parties to add. They're eventually gonna have to branch out to more western picks to raise hype for future games
To be fair, Banjo Kazooie wasn't very popular in Japan either. A large majority of his requests came from western Smash fans.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I don't believe the Figure Theory because Min Min MR.G&W WFT Duck Hunt and Palutena don't have official figures by any company.
That doesn't mean anything? Sakurai has said that he has the figures of the upcoming fighters hiding inside a drawer, not that he has a figure for every single fighter in Smash.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Don’t forget, Sakurai already has a Rayman Model in Smash Bros (4) and can use that as a Base Model for the Rayman Playable Fighter. It’ll need some tweaks on its Design but it’s still Ready to be transferred into Ultimate’s Volume 2 DLC Character Pack, and Ubisoft Montpellier are no doubt involved with the Rayman Mythology inputs with Sakurai just like Mojang was involved with the Minecraft :ultsteve: inclusion, the Arms Director is involved with the Arms inclusion of Min Min :ultminmin, and Monolithsoft with Xenoblade Chronicles inclusion of Pyra/Mythra :ultpyra:and the Stage interactions.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Bought the Xbox version of Rayman 3 at a flea market. I heard it was the best version of the game, and I've never played it. Of course, the game isn't backwards compatible with the Xbox Series X yet. With rumors of Ubisoft's catalog coming to gamepass, I hope the Xbox team will add backwards compatibility for Ubi's older games also.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'm honestly very interested in seeing what the Japanese reaction to a Rayman Smash reveal would be. Would it be the parallel to how the western fanbase reacts to anime anything or would they actually be intrigued.

From what I remember, Little Mac was received... not that well. But I mean, after Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra I don't think they'd complain that much if the next character was western-focused.

Last edited:

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly very interested in seeing what the Japanese reaction to a Rayman Smash reveal would be. Would it be the parallel to how the western fanbase reacts to anime anything or would they actually be intrigued.

From what I remember, Little Mac was received... not that well. But I mean, after Sephiroth, Pyra and Mythra I don't think they'd complain that much if the next character was western-focused.
It’s been documented that Japan are Video Game Historians, the reaction would be similar to that of Banjo-Kazooie’s reveal as Rayman has exposer to that territory, just not as much as it has Today.
https://youtu.be/QPVr-9LPewU
https://youtu.be/MPWsyJJ1Ucc
https://youtu.be/EM1D4Zc82tQ
https://youtu.be/OOaYH1EIsH8
Another good example is that Japan Loves Mascots of All Kinds as they have an attachment to the Most Goofy looking concepts rather if it’s an Obscured Character or it’s an Iconic Character. It’s basically what looks like a Unique Conceptual looking Character that draws the enthusiasm of the Character, with Rayman having the Goofy looking Design of No Limbs the Reception would be an Overall Enthusiasm with the Japanese Audience looking up Old Rayman Japanese Games just like how they looked up for the Old Banjo-Kazooie N64 Title.
7F53D9A4-5CCC-4FD9-82F0-F99D8576B2DD.png

Finally what also adds into the Fire of the Reveal is that Rayman Spirit would have a More Significance in its presence in the Base Game as the Japanese Audience will have a Good Callback Awareness after 2 and a 1/2-Years with a 3rd (4th)-Spirit Upgraded Fighter and being the First 3rd-Party Spirit Upgraded Fighter in the Games DLC.
B8DC6D16-87B8-497D-8281-B88FA11D04E5.jpeg

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
Absolutely didn't expect Seph, love it. Now it's time to reach and turn this into Rayman speculation.

You know why this reveal makes sense in retrospect? The lack of FF7 anything. Same songs as Smash 4 and Cloud was the only Spirit. We played it off as Square Enix being greedy which... yeah? they waited for DLC to add more content instead. But why does this matter? Cause I think the same logic could work with Rayman.

We bring it up a lot, but this adds fuel to the fire, Rayman going from three trophies to just Ray himself is a very strange choice when it probably takes virtually no effort to add spirits. Could mean nothing but by using the Sephiroth Spirit Board logic, Rayman could probably be in the same boat: planned for DLC later, so they avoided adding too much content from his game to have a meaty content pack that doesn't reuse much like Min Min did.

I acknowledge it's reaching, since like, Min Min's board reused a bunch of Arms spirits, but still, that's the fun of speculating.

P.S. really sorry for the Geno fans
Been going back through older discussions and such to see if I may have missed/overlooked something, and I'd actually like to bring this back up. At the time, sure it was kiiiiind of a reach, BUT, now we have Pyra/Mythra who follow this logic. That's now 3 characters (the 1st being Min Min) who follow this apparent pattern of characters that already have some kind of connection to Smash Ultimate being added as a kind of 2nd chance opportunity. Heck, you could even KINDA make this argument for Steve, since it's more Microsoft content that we got after the fact with Banjo (plus Steve being in the works for 5 years). Nintendo effectively told both Microsoft and Square Enix that they will have spots in the 2nd wave of DLC reserved specifically for them, even though both already had a spot in the first wave, and essentially said the initial content would basically hold them over until Pass 2. With as close as Ubisoft and Nintendo have been, not to mention how active the former has ALREADY been with Ultimate in particular, I see no reason to think that Ubisoft isn't in the same boat. They even had content in the 1st Pass in the form of the Rabbids and Assassin's Creed mii costumes, too, so those basically being appetizers while the main course of Rayman as a playable character continued to be worked on/decided on makes a lot of sense. Especially with as ZoroCarlos points out, Rayman currently has more content in Smash 4 than he does here in Ultimate when there's really no good reason for that to be the case unless they were specifically holding off on more Rayman stuff for when gets revealed as a Fighter. That's all of my rambling for now though. I just wanted to bring this specific point up again after Pyra/Mythra continued a possibly planned out pattern of Fighter's Pass 2 characters all having this theme in common to various degrees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom