• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
You know I honestly kinda wonder if Rayman fits the criteria of what Pass 2 is supposedly being a pattern of characters that were left out of Base game that couldn't make it or "fixing/patching" it up.

Especially given Rayman's trophy in Sm4sh, one would certainly think he may have at the very least been considered for Ultimate.
Yeah, we've definitely discussed it. Ubisoft has definitely brought up the idea of Rayman in Smash to Nintendo for a while:

I'm sure we've brought it up before but y'all remember this quote from Michel Ancel in 2013?
View attachment 304155

And Rayfun's interview with the lead game designer from Rayman Legends?
View attachment 304156
View attachment 304157

Combine that with this whole "missed opportunities" theory, what we know from Steve that character negotiations can take a few years, maybe we got a true shot at this!
Plus that Rayman's had content removed from Smash 4 in transition to Smash Ultimate (from 3 trophies to just a single spirit, and two other Ubisoft series being better represented) which we speculate could have been held off on purpose for a DLC spirit board later, similar case to what theoretically may have happened with Sephiroth and Final Fantasy 7.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
You know I honestly kinda wonder if Rayman fits the criteria of what Pass 2 is supposedly being a pattern of characters that were left out of Base game that couldn't make it or "fixing/patching" it up.

Especially given Rayman's trophy in Sm4sh, one would certainly think he may have at the very least been considered for Ultimate.
If we also wanna add to the whole weirdness of it, lemme remind yall that Mario Maker 3DS had some unused costume names in the file, with Rayman being one of em alongside Roy and Ryu, two Sm4sh DLC characters
20210312_213813.jpg

(Granted the Golden Retriever is there too so maybe Rayman was a one off costume but still interesting).

As for worries of how Rayman will be recieved, he's gone from being fairly requested in the Sm4sh 4 days to one of the most requested characters during Ultimate's DLC cycle, I think he's be pretty well received even if there's some haters. Remember how hype the majority of the web was during the Artsy Omni leak before it was revealed fake?

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I mean, Rayman getting in here would be like the second coming of :ultbanjokazooie:. The main difference being that the big hoax leak would be for the previous game.

That being said, would Ray come with an Ezio Mii costume or not?
Nah an Ezio Mii sounds redundant, don't you think? I don't think he's that much different from Altair to justify another costume.

I'd rather have Prince of Persia represented. Conveniently enough since he's getting those remasters soon. Or something from Immortals Fenyx Rising for apparently being a big success on the Switch. Costumes for Barbara and Globox also go without saying.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah an Ezio Mii sounds redundant, don't you think? I don't think he's that much different from Altair to justify another costume.

I'd rather have Prince of Persia represented. Conveniently enough since he's getting those remasters soon. Or something from Immortals Fenyx Rising for apparently being a big success on the Switch. Costumes for Barbara and Globox also go without saying.
Oh yeah, that's right, didn't think about those. Sorry, didn't consider that Ezio would be replaced by Altair as the costume, if we go by the "list".

I did consider the Prince getting a costume, but not Immortals, though it is doable for both.

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
If we're still talking about Rayman miis:
I'm personally hoping for Globox and Barbara costumes and a Teensie hat, as for the "bonus" costume, hoping for a Sam Fisher costume. Never played Splinter Cell but it seems to be a pretty big Ubisoft property and some cool spy gear would be appreciated for some fun mii set ups.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We literally had Rex become a mii which was a xenoblade 2 content only for sakurai to change his mind and go back and add Pyra/mythra
Damn, y'all hear that? Microsoft and Square Enix can't get more characters cause they already got some in FP1.
Rex was still shunted out by technical issues, so I'm not sure if that's really a good example. :drshrug: The spirit stuff is definitely a stronger case though. :ultminmin:ultpyra:

Also, sorry, slight correction I meant to say before bed, but I actually meant to say "X third-party company getting any minor content that isn't partially owned by Nintendo before they get someone playable means they won't get a fighter".

Which would supposedly mean that Hayabusa stands more of a chance than Rayman. I don't even...

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Rex was still shunted out by technical issues, so I'm not sure if that's really a good example. :drshrug: The spirit stuff is definitely a stronger case though. :ultminmin:ultpyra:

Also, sorry, slight correction I meant to say before bed, but I actually meant to say "X third-party company getting any minor content that isn't partially owned by Nintendo before they get someone playable means they won't get a fighter".

Which would supposedly mean that Hayabusa stands more of a chance than Rayman. I don't even...
Yet Lloyd and Dante are considered almost locks by the same people

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yet Lloyd and Dante are considered almost locks by the same people
The writing on the wall is clearly there for returning third-party-owned Smash 4 costumes coming as DLC, yet they don't see it. I'm expecting Lloyd's to come any day now.

I'd be surprised if we get a Capcom DLC character somehow, let alone Dante, but we'll see what happens.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Was this something someone said to you on Smashboards or on Twitter?
Nah, just some discussion I saw on the Hayabusa thread. I don't even use Twitter outside of checking fan artists.

If we're still talking about Rayman miis:
I'm personally hoping for Globox and Barbara costumes and a Teensie hat, as for the "bonus" costume, hoping for a Sam Fisher costume. Never played Splinter Cell but it seems to be a pretty big Ubisoft property and some cool spy gear would be appreciated for some fun mii set ups.
That'd be cool, but I'm not sure if they'd think of Sam Fisher, seeing as his series has been dormant since 2013. Though the Netflix series being a possible thing might help.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So, here's a fun topic.

I know people are getting tired of seeing the Hands as the final boss for DLC Classic modes, but we are all in agreement that it would make sense for Rayman, right?
Yeah, that would definitely make sense. Anything else would feel like a half assed attempt, like Dracula as a stand in for Mr. Dark or Galleum as a stand in for Razorbeard. A bit too much of a stretch.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
So, here's a fun topic.

I know people are getting tired of seeing the Hands as the final boss for DLC Classic modes, but we are all in agreement that it would make sense for Rayman, right?
I always played around in my mind about the reveal trailer for Rayman to just be on Final Destination with Master Hand and Crazy hand to reveal that they're both actually Rayman.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I always played around in my mind about the reveal trailer for Rayman to just be on Final Destination with Master Hand and Crazy hand to reveal that they're both actually Rayman.
That's pretty brilliant, actually!

Can't help but think that whatever the trailer would be, it'd be clever. There's many directions you can take for Rayman and it'd be tough to go wrong with him.

I had a dream Rayman was in Smash. It's happening, folks. My dreams never lie. With this foresight I bring to you, you could say I'm the real hero of dreams.

Wa.. wait... where did my limbs go? gasp OH MY GOOOOOOODD!!!!
On average, how often do your literal dreams come true?

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Rex was still shunted out by technical issues, so I'm not sure if that's really a good example. :drshrug:
Yeah but they still added him as a mii originally under the impression that he was gonna be the only xeno 2 content. I'm willing to bet when sakurai looked back on him and found him too difficult was after the mii situation had happened
So, here's a fun topic.

It does make sense completely but like ya said, I'm tired of seeing the hands lol.

Kinda would like dracula with Mr.Darks theme or Galleon with the Grolgoth theme!
I've seen this idea float around for a few years and I still think it's the best way to reveal Rayman!

ChiefGamers

Smash Cadet
So, here's a fun topic.

The hands would make sense, but personally I'm still holding out that at least -one- DLC brings a new boss, no matter how likely it is.

So for Rayman? I'd personally love if the Grolgoth showed up at the end of his classic route out of nowhere. That or Mr. Dark!

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I know this is weird coming from someone who doesn't support Rayman, (even though I'm pretty cool with anyone at this point)
but anyways, I was googling desktop wallpaper for Pyra and trying to find a better image of the new fighter spirit. For some odd reason,
trying to find a better image gave me results for Smash Bros. Rayman instead. I thought this was weird, but yeah. Nothing really important probs.
Even though a few days before they showed off Pyra/Mythra I was thinking about them a lot and they came next... so I dunno.
I never even played the games before. Anyways, good luck to ya'll, have a good one.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
On average, how often do your literal dreams come true?
Well, I had a dream from way back my mother gave birth to a baby girl which turned out to be true. I also dreamt K. Rool was in Smash but as a ridiculously huge boss. Kiddy Kong was announced too which upset pretty much everybody, but it was worth it to see Jon Cartwright's hilarious reaction.

Honestly, the most realistic my dreams are the most likely it's going to happen. Nothing in my Rayman dream felt peculiar. Fingers crossed.

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about final bosses for Rayman's classic mode, and I remembered Bad/Dark Rayman/Raymesis, etc exists. Then I thought, what if each enemy on his classic mode was a "dark" character (Dark Link, Dark Samus, Dark Pit).

THEN I realized that's Link's classic mode. So uh... 👀💧

So yeah, Dark Rayman would be pretty neat. I assume that would be one of Rayman's costumes anyway, and I'd much prefer a straight fight rather than a Master Hand battle anyhow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, come to think of it, I honestly wouldn't mind if either :ultmetaknight: or :ultsephiroth: used Mr. Dark's theme for a battle.

I was thinking about final bosses for Rayman's classic mode, and I remembered Bad/Dark Rayman/Raymesis, etc exists. Then I thought, what if each enemy on his classic mode was a "dark" character (Dark Link, Dark Samus, Dark Pit).

THEN I realized that's Link's classic mode. So uh... 👀💧

So yeah, Dark Rayman would be pretty neat. I assume that would be one of Rayman's costumes anyway, and I'd much prefer a straight fight rather than a Master Hand battle anyhow.
To be fair, :ultfalco: mostly fought dark enemies too, so might as well recycle the theme some more, I guess.

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
Here’s my 2-cents for a Classic Mode Route

Rayman Classic Mode Route:

Vs. Legends

Theme is about Rayman taking on other Legendary Platformer’s

Round 1: Mario

Round 2: Sonic The Hedgehog

Round 3: Mega Man

Round 4: PAC-MAN

Round 5: Donkey Kong

Round 6: Mr. Game & Watch

Bonus Round

Final Round: Master Hand & Crazy Hand

[Edit] Originally I thought Banjo would fit nicely with the Rayman Classic Mode Route, but I did a quick research on All the DLC Inclusions Classic Modes and none have any of the DLC Characters in their Routes. So instead I just went with the Genesis of Platformer’s himself Mr. Game & Watch

Last edited:

RaymanicRM

Smash Rookie
If we also wanna add to the whole weirdness of it, lemme remind yall that Mario Maker 3DS had some unused costume names in the file, with Rayman being one of em alongside Roy and Ryu, two Sm4sh DLC characters
View attachment 307025
(Granted the Golden Retriever is there too so maybe Rayman was a one off costume but still interesting).

As for worries of how Rayman will be recieved, he's gone from being fairly requested in the Sm4sh 4 days to one of the most requested characters during Ultimate's DLC cycle, I think he's be pretty well received even if there's some haters. Remember how hype the majority of the web was during the Artsy Omni leak before it was revealed fake?
I honestly forgot about the Mario Maker stuff. It's crazy how he was datamined to be in. Idk if it's just me but maybe Nintendo was being kind with Rayman due to Michel Ancel making a level for Mario Maker and maybe they were just going to add Rayman in because of that.

Obviously, it would be better if it WAS because of Smash and I would definitely prefer that option LOL.

Also, Rayman would be recieved SUPER well in Europe and America. Japan may be confused a bit but that's the whole point imo. Ubisoft gets Rayman in Smash so they can BOOST his popularity in Japan, and get him more popular there. I think they could've done it already without Smash if they did Mario + Rayman instead of the critters lol.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I honestly forgot about the Mario Maker stuff. It's crazy how he was datamined to be in. Idk if it's just me but maybe Nintendo was being kind with Rayman due to Michel Ancel making a level for Mario Maker and maybe they were just going to add Rayman in because of that.

Obviously, it would be better if it WAS because of Smash and I would definitely prefer that option LOL.

Also, Rayman would be recieved SUPER well in Europe and America. Japan may be confused a bit but that's the whole point imo. Ubisoft gets Rayman in Smash so they can BOOST his popularity in Japan, and get him more popular there. I think they could've done it already without Smash if they did Mario + Rayman instead of the critters lol.
The Icon you have of Rayman currently looks adorable.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
You know, whether it was related to Smash or not, Rayman being in Mario Maker would have been really awesome. Unsure if the reason it didn't happen was because they had no more content update plans for the game, thus didn't think it was worth it updating for just 4 costumes. It's also interesting but a shame to note that Mario Maker 2 lacks the costume feature, so we probably would have absolutely had Rayman in it if it wasn't for that cut.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a lighter note, the pointless feud is actually starting to taper off.

You know, whether it was related to Smash or not, Rayman being in Mario Maker would have been really awesome. Unsure if the reason it didn't happen was because they had no more content update plans for the game, thus didn't think it was worth it updating for just 4 costumes. It's also interesting but a shame to note that Mario Maker 2 lacks the costume feature, so we probably would have absolutely had Rayman in it if it wasn't for that cut.
3DS ultimately didn't have any Mystery Suits at all, so that was clearly scrapped ASAP.

At any rate, I severely doubt Ray would have been in for a completely innocuous reason. Since when has Rayman got a guest cameo in a first-party Nintendo project outside of Smash? It's not like this is him getting in because some folks in Japan happen to like a certain Western property (i.e. Shaun the Sheep).

Last edited:

Boorepellent

Smash Apprentice
On a lighter note, the pointless feud is actually starting to taper off.

3DS ultimately didn't have any Mystery Suits at all, so that was clearly scrapped ASAP.

At any rate, I severely doubt Ray would have been in for a completely innocuous reason. Since when has Rayman got a guest cameo in a first-party Nintendo project outside of Smash? It's not like this is him getting in because some folks in Japan happen to like a certain Western property (i.e. Shaun the Sheep).
Ah, so you're saying Rayman may have been planned for Smash 4 then, because there wouldn't have been any other reason for the Mario Maker costume?

Honestly, I hope that's the case. It would help his chances in the "missed opportunity" fighter pass.

Another thing I think about is Ubisoft potentially preferring a DLC character to a base game inclusion. They'd get more of a cut that way, right?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ah, so you're saying Rayman may have been planned for Smash 4 then, because there wouldn't have been any other reason for the Mario Maker costume?

Honestly, I hope that's the case. It would help his chances in the "missed opportunity" fighter pass.

Another thing I think about is Ubisoft potentially preferring a DLC character to a base game inclusion. They'd get more of a cut that way, right?
In theory, I'd say so yeah. Rather difficult getting profit from sales for the base game if a lot of other people's stuff is in it too anyway. Also, I recently bought the entire FP2 pass, mostly to influence the outcome/possible extension of DLC (but also because I'm 90% sure there'll be at least one cartoony mascot character in there), so that might help.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The hands would make sense, but personally I'm still holding out that at least -one- DLC brings a new boss, no matter how likely it is.

So for Rayman? I'd personally love if the Grolgoth showed up at the end of his classic route out of nowhere. That or Mr. Dark!
With Mr.Dark I always imagine how cool it would be to adapte the fight from Redemption but then I always remember Redemption technically isn't canon :(
I know this is weird coming from someone who doesn't support Rayman, (even though I'm pretty cool with anyone at this point)
but anyways, I was googling desktop wallpaper for Pyra and trying to find a better image of the new fighter spirit. For some odd reason,
trying to find a better image gave me results for Smash Bros. Rayman instead. I thought this was weird, but yeah. Nothing really important probs.
Even though a few days before they showed off Pyra/Mythra I was thinking about them a lot and they came next... so I dunno.
I never even played the games before. Anyways, good luck to ya'll, have a good one.
I tried seeing if the same happened for me but I got nothing, do you know the specific phrase you typed in?
I
Its kinda silly how people say we can NEVER get a rep who's not big in Japan as if the japanese fanbase would lose it if smash got one character that wasn't big there. We had Marth and Roy who's games hadn't made it the US at the time, and Lucas who's always been a Japan only character and we were just fine. If Japan gets a character they hardly know about, they'll live. (Also rayman games at least get released there still)

You may have a point there. Would kinda be weird for Rayman to have a random cameo in mario maker in 2016. Really hope the Missed Opportunities Theory turns our true!

Top Bottom