• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Wellwe got a mii wave coming tomorrow folks!

I think we'll be ok but I'm hoping for the best!

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah I mostly expect square Enix theme'd Miis to be showing up tomorrow so I think we'll be alright.

On another note:
20201216_202308.jpg

The Rayman for smash twitter has reached 6k supporters! Pretty dope considering some say Rayman isn't actually a big request.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Yeah I mostly expect square Enix theme'd Miis to be showing up tomorrow so I think we'll be alright.

On another note:View attachment 295845
The Rayman for smash twitter has reached 6k supporters! Pretty dope considering some say Rayman isn't actually a big request.
I had someone tell me that 6000 followers is nothing compared to the amount of people that wanted Sephiroth. Don't get me wrong Sephiroth is a big character and is a good pick for Smash, but the amount of people actually supporting Seph to be in Smash was definitely less than us. At least, when it comes to the people that were vocal about it. I rarely saw Sephiroth get requested for Smash before he was revealed, on here and on twitter, where as I saw a lot of requests for Rayman

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I had someone tell me that 6000 followers is nothing compared to the amount of people that wanted Sephiroth.
Ah yes, that's right, I forgot that 6000 Twitter users represented all the Rayman fans worldwide. :rolleyes:

The point is flawed anyway. Not that many people "wanted" Sephiroth, it was more of a "They didn't know they wanted it until it happened" so what they're saying really isn't true. From what I've noticed in Smash reveals, people become fans of the characters the moment they're in Smash...unless their series is Fire Emblem. Rayman could very easily go through the same scenario and attract a bunch of new fans right away from his Smash gameplay alone.

Edit: People are missing the point when we bring up the 6k followers anyway. MrMcNuts MrMcNuts doesn't use it to flex his followerbase, he uses it to prove to people who say that "Rayman's support has died down" that they're objectively wrong. But when they are proven wrong they get defensive and find other ways to detract

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I had someone tell me that 6000 followers is nothing compared to the amount of people that wanted Sephiroth.
Lmao of course they did. They always try find some flimsy reason to detract out of anger.
Ah yes, that's right, I forgot that 6000 Twitter users represented all the Rayman fans worldwide. :rolleyes:

Edit: People are missing the point when we bring up the 6k followers anyway. MrMcNuts MrMcNuts doesn't use it to flex his followerbase, he uses it to prove to people who say that "Rayman's support has died down" that they're objectively wrong. But when they are proven wrong they get defensive and find other ways to detract
Exactly, my whole point is that people think his support peaked during smash 4, which couldn't be any farther from the truth! Not only is it peaked right now, but it continues to grow! People can try compare it to smashboards numbers all they wat but the truth is twitter is a thousand times bigger than smashboards and smashboards definitely ain't as big as it use to be. Being the most followed smash campaign on a site with 300 millon users is a big testament I'd say!
Nice going on Twitter! I remember when you first mentioned starting the thing. Its really come a long way, hasn't it?
It really has. Even when I started it I had insecurities that maybe the people that say hardly anyone wants him is right. Boy have we proved them wrong!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Exactly, my whole point is that people think his support peaked during smash 4, which couldn't be any farther from the truth! Not only is it peaked right now, but it continues to grow! People can try compare it to smashboards numbers all they wat but the truth is twitter is a thousand times bigger than smashboards and smashboards definitely ain't as big as it use to be. Being the most followed smash campaign on a site with 300 millon users is a big testament I'd say!
Exactly. Not being as loud =/= people don't want him anymore. And if we're speaking about this fanbase being loud then yes, Smash 4 was the peak, as that's when thousands of new fans boarded ship cause of the ArtsyOmni leak. We're definitely more chill nowadays but to say Rayman has lost fans is... dumb.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hello Rayman thread! I've posted here occasionally, but spent most of my time in the Geno thread. Now that my most wanted is out of the running, I'm going to other threads to spread some hope and support. Since Ridley and K Rool got in base game Crash and Rayman have moved up to being my second and third most wanteds (not necessarily respectively I don't think I really want one more than the other). It honestly kind of baffles me that Rayman is not in this game. He seems like such an obvious choice. Really hoping Rayman will make it in DLC. Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are of an Ubisoft character coming after getting Mii costumes with an unrelated fighter? Personally I don't think it would stop them from adding a fighter but who knows. At any rate, no matter what happens in this DLC cycle don't give up guys. If there's anything I've learned from being a Geno fan it's that no matter how discouraging things get pushing for something you care about is always worth it and it's never too late or too early to start pushing. I hope everyone is well during this very trying year!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hey Rayman thread, like SpiritOfRuin SpiritOfRuin I'm a refugee from the Geno thread. I tend to pick one thread and just stay there. First it was the Ridley thread in smash 4 and beginning of Ultimate, then the Joker thread (all three of us Joker supporters somehow kept it active until the reveal) and then it was Geno. I don't really have a true most wanted with a shot, but Rayman is definitely high on my list. I hope it's okay if I make this my new "home thread".

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hey Rayman thread, like SpiritOfRuin SpiritOfRuin I'm a refugee from the Geno thread. I tend to pick one thread and just stay there. First it was the Ridley thread in smash 4 and beginning of Ultimate, then the Joker thread (all three of us Joker supporters somehow kept it active until the reveal) and then it was Geno. I don't really have a true most wanted with a shot, but Rayman is definitely high on my list. I hope it's okay if I make this my new "home thread".
Well, having newcomers here is never a bad thing, Welcome Aboard, Sigran.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so here's a thought.

I don't think we'll go through more than the next three months before the next fighter is shown off, seeing as the next amiibo wave is near the end of March. As it stands, I think of three possibilities.

Rayman: 50/50. Assuming there's no friendzoning involved, the strongest pieces of evidence right now are the trademark renewal, and the Ubi survey edits. Not to mention that only one spirit is a rather weird downgrade and there's no costume to speak of.

Anyone else: pretty likely. It's a tossup as to who it is, but it's more likely than not, regardless if it's a fan want or someone more mainstream.

Mario fighter: admittedly slim to none, but might happen. The only noteworthy event for the rest of the Mario 35th celebration is Super Mario 3D World on February, while January and March have bupkis, so this time could be used to unveil a Mario character. Either Pauline or King Boo (since Luigi's Mansion 3 still has no spirit event, strangely).

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life

I don't think we'll go through more than the next three months before the next fighter is shown off, seeing as the next amiibo wave is near the end of March. As it stands, I think of three possibilities.

Rayman: 50/50. Assuming there's no friendzoning involved, the strongest pieces of evidence right now are the trademark renewal, and the Ubi survey edits. Not to mention that only one spirit is a rather weird downgrade and there's no costume to speak of.

Anyone else: pretty likely. It's a tossup as to who it is, but it's more likely than not, regardless if it's a fan want or someone more mainstream.

Mario fighter: admittedly slim to none, but might happen. The only noteworthy event for the rest of the Mario 35th celebration is Super Mario 3D World on February, while January and March have bupkis, so this time could be used to unveil a Mario character. Either Pauline or King Boo (since Luigi's Mansion 3 still has no spirit event, strangely).
I feel like, if they wanted to celebrate Mario's anniversary with a Smash character while also symontenously making fans happy I really feel like they would have put Geno or Waluigi in the game. Since Geno is deconfirmed now I'd say it'd be Waluigi or we're just not getting another Mario character. Besides, Mario has enough reps.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
My thought is to not believe anything from 4chan personally, but this would be an ok pass if it were true. Obviously, Rayman would be awesome and Doomslayer would be cool with me as we haven't gotten any gunner architypes yet.

Can you bring me up to speed on the survey edits please? I'm a bit out of the loop. Also, what exactly do you mean by downgrade to a single spirit? I think a Mario fighter could be likely but I don't see them being next as they'd probably be closer to last since they tend to front load DLC. I don't think Sephiroth is the last big name we will see.

I feel like, if they wanted to celebrate Mario's anniversary with a Smash character while also symontenously making fans happy I really feel like they would have put Geno or Waluigi in the game. Since Geno is deconfirmed now I'd say it'd be Waluigi or we're just not getting another Mario character. Besides, Mario has enough reps.
Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise and is still missing some arguably big name characters. Waluigi and Geno being the popular ones but there's still King Boo, Kamek, and Toad/Captain Toad. Saying it has "enough reps" is so subjective and I'll never understand the argument. I could argue that Zelda has enough reps because the triforce is represented but that doesn't mean that it's right. Fire Emblem I can understand, but not Mario especially from someone named Mariofan lol.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I honestly think that evidence is pretty strong. I don't understand why people think Crash is more likely when he has no evidence for him at all.
It's quite lucky to guess both Sephiroth and Steve, but it says Min Min and Ninjara, presumably as a Hero type situation, so it was wrong from the get go. Imo it's not worth watching.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
How do you guys deal with Japan argument?

"Hur hur Rayman is obscure in Japan, so he is out!"

Honestly, I think this is another kind of fanrule that should be broken soon. 3.3 million out of 20 millions is still big number for Ultimate, but it's not number to keep pandering to imo.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
My thought is to not believe anything from 4chan personally, but this would be an ok pass if it were true. Obviously, Rayman would be awesome and Doomslayer would be cool with me as we haven't gotten any gunner architypes yet.

Can you bring me up to speed on the survey edits please? I'm a bit out of the loop. Also, what exactly do you mean by downgrade to a single spirit? I think a Mario fighter could be likely but I don't see them being next as they'd probably be closer to last since they tend to front load DLC. I don't think Sephiroth is the last big name we will see.

Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise and is still missing some arguably big name characters. Waluigi and Geno being the popular ones but there's still King Boo, Kamek, and Toad/Captain Toad. Saying it has "enough reps" is so subjective and I'll never understand the argument. I could argue that Zelda has enough reps because the triforce is represented but that doesn't mean that it's right. Fire Emblem I can understand, but not Mario especially from someone named Mariofan lol.
I created this account like 10 years ago. I don't go by that username anymore but I can't change it here because I don't have premium.

Honestly, I think this is another kind of fanrule that should be broken soon. 3.3 million out of 20 millions is still big number for Ultimate, but it's not number to keep pandering to imo.
Tbh I don't think Steve was as big in Japan either as he is over here. I rarely see Japanese people talking about Minecraft. Don't get me wrong he's probably big there too, but the majority of Steve's popularity comes from outside of Japan I'm pretty sure? Banjo Kazooie was also a character that was really popular with the majority of people outside of Japan.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
The 4chan thing is fishy since it says "Min Min and Ninjara" but if you wanted to give it some credit, Ninjara was actually Sakurai's second choice for the Arms character. Ninjara also ended up being the one Arms mii costume added so... I think I'll keep it in mind until we see the next fighter... Unless it's Hayabusa cause that's probably the easiest guess here.

Can you bring me up to speed on the survey edits please?
Ubisoft made a general survey earlier this year asking people what kind of games they liked and whatnot, and one of the questions in the survey was like "Have you purchased any Smash Ultimate DLC?" but the question was removed from the survey quickly. They could have worded the question as if we had bought the Altair or Rabbids costumes... but they went with the wording that covered any DLC. It's fishy.

This also lines up with things such as Ubisoft's Siri-like bot being edited to not mention Rayman at all when Smash Ultimate is mentioned and Ubisoft's sudden radio silence about Rayman when last year they were pretty vocal about Rayman in Smash.

Hope this covers it!

There ain't much that you can say regarding the Japan popularity argument to change people's minds. It's admittedly Rayman's biggest fallacy... Though, we've had characters unpopular in Japan before like Little Mac and Ridley, but those are still Nintendo owned characters.

In theory, Nintendo has no issue cattering to the west with characters they like. The question is whether they'd go out of their way to talk to a western developer to put a character not popular in Japan. Steve and Banjo had decent Japanese popularity, so they get a pass, I suppose.

So based on what I've said, the Japan argument could easily be broken... it's just a matter of waiting for it to happen, and I'd love for Rayman for be the one to break it. It'd open the gates for characters like Doom Slayer, Scorpion and the likes.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The way I see it, if Rayman was actually obscure in Japan, then he wouldn't have gotten into Smash in some form in the past two or three games. (that's not to say that obscure franchises don't get into Smash, but Star Tropics, a Nintendo property, hasn't even gotten a sticker or spirit in Smash Bros., so that would definitely be an example of something that's obscure in Japan)

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Hello Rayman thread! I've posted here occasionally, but spent most of my time in the Geno thread. Now that my most wanted is out of the running, I'm going to other threads to spread some hope and support. Since Ridley and K Rool got in base game Crash and Rayman have moved up to being my second and third most wanteds (not necessarily respectively I don't think I really want one more than the other). It honestly kind of baffles me that Rayman is not in this game. He seems like such an obvious choice. Really hoping Rayman will make it in DLC. Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are of an Ubisoft character coming after getting Mii costumes with an unrelated fighter? Personally I don't think it would stop them from adding a fighter but who knows. At any rate, no matter what happens in this DLC cycle don't give up guys. If there's anything I've learned from being a Geno fan it's that no matter how discouraging things get pushing for something you care about is always worth it and it's never too late or too early to start pushing. I hope everyone is well during this very trying year!
There's always more room in the Rayman Gang paisanos!
PicsArt_12-18-03.58.30.jpg

The way I see it, if Rayman was actually obscure in Japan, then he wouldn't have gotten into Smash in some form in the past two or three games. (that's not to say that obscure franchises don't get into Smash, but Star Tropics, a Nintendo property, hasn't even gotten a sticker or spirit in Smash Bros., so that would definitely be an example of something that's obscure in Japan)
Exactly. People can say what they want but his games still get released and sold there (except Rayman 3). Either way the "not popular in Japan" arguement is gonna die eventually, just a matter of when.

Also regarding the 4chan leak, I don't like holding my breath on em cause so many leaks on 4chan are fake and this one could be a lucky guess and nothing more. Though I gotta say the fact that they had heard the names MinMin and ninjara is interesting since sakurai had considered ninjara as well. Whether its real or fake though, I think it would be a solid pass. Arguebly more variety than pass 1!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh sure, treat the 5-year Crash document like it doesn't exist, it's not like about 95% of Activision-related things don't leak or anything. That lot is worse at keeping secrets than Square-Enix. I'm used to no one believing me at this point, so do as you will.

https://www.dexerto.com/smash/leak-claims-crash-bandicoot-will-join-smash-ultimate-in-2021-1428075/
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/05/new-crash-bandicoot-game-rumoured-for-2019

Anyway...

The Cacomallow leak is fake at this point, so I don't have any reason to believe this. Beyond the fact that the majority of text leaks on /v/ are fake.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Oh sure, treat the 5-year Crash document like it doesn't exist, it's not like about 95% of Activision-related things don't leak or anything. That lot is worse at keeping secrets than Square-Enix. I'm used to no one believing me at this point, so do as you will.

https://www.dexerto.com/smash/leak-claims-crash-bandicoot-will-join-smash-ultimate-in-2021-1428075/
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/05/new-crash-bandicoot-game-rumoured-for-2019
Uhhh idk how we started discussing crash but the problem with that leak is that while the document has been known for a while, it wasn't till recently that people started claiming that "credible leakers" have said that crash for smash was on the plan, yet not a single leaker has come forward confirming it.

The document is real, but the smash part is most likely made up

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

Well this case is iffy for me cause the document in question has been known about for almost 3 years, and it's just now that "Oh btw, Crash in Smash was on it" is being said by one person without any source besides "insideres are talking about it trust me"... I feel like that info would have leaked waaaay sooner...

Let's assume it's true for a second though. "Crash in Smash" is probably more of a stretch goal for Activision and not necessarily something that's already been negotiated, so nothing is set in stone. With that said, I do think Crash will show up in Ultimate in some way sooner or later.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to the downgrade to a single spirit thing...

Back in 4, Rayman had at least 3 trophies: himself, Globox and Barbara. Now? Just a spirit. Which is rather strange, since there's no lack of artwork for Rayman spirits seeing as, you know, Legends is chock-full of it.

Well this case is iffy for me cause the document in question has been known about for almost 3 years, and it's just now that "Oh btw, Crash in Smash was on it" is being said by one person without any source besides "insideres are talking about it trust me"... I feel like that info would have leaked waaaay sooner...

Let's assume it's true for a second though. "Crash in Smash" is probably more of a stretch goal for Activision and not necessarily something that's already been negotiated, so nothing is set in stone. With that said, I do think Crash will show up in Ultimate in some way sooner or later.
Yeah. As it is no way of telling if the deal was finalized in January or not, so only time will tell.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
The 4chan thing is fishy since it says "Min Min and Ninjara" but if you wanted to give it some credit, Ninjara was actually Sakurai's second choice for the Arms character. Ninjara also ended up being the one Arms mii costume added so... I think I'll keep it in mind until we see the next fighter... Unless it's Hayabusa cause that's probably the easiest guess here.

Ubisoft made a general survey earlier this year asking people what kind of games they liked and whatnot, and one of the questions in the survey was like "Have you purchased any Smash Ultimate DLC?" but the question was removed from the survey quickly. They could have worded the question as if we had bought the Altair or Rabbids costumes... but they went with the wording that covered any DLC. It's fishy.

This also lines up with things such as Ubisoft's Siri-like bot being edited to not mention Rayman at all when Smash Ultimate is mentioned and Ubisoft's sudden radio silence about Rayman when last year they were pretty vocal about Rayman in Smash.

Hope this covers it!

There ain't much that you can say regarding the Japan popularity argument to change people's minds. It's admittedly Rayman's biggest fallacy... Though, we've had characters unpopular in Japan before like Little Mac and Ridley, but those are still Nintendo owned characters.

In theory, Nintendo has no issue cattering to the west with characters they like. The question is whether they'd go out of their way to talk to a western developer to put a character not popular in Japan. Steve and Banjo had decent Japanese popularity, so they get a pass, I suppose.

So based on what I've said, the Japan argument could easily be broken... it's just a matter of waiting for it to happen, and I'd love for Rayman for be the one to break it. It'd open the gates for characters like Doom Slayer, Scorpion and the likes.
I definitely think Ubisoft's and Nintendo's relationship gives him an edge in the 'obscure in Japan' part.

Of course, it doesn't make him 100% guaranteed to be in Smash Ultimate, Frankly, no character, not even someone like Crash Bandicoot, is. but I definitely feel like it's a major boost to Rayman's chances for sure.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
In regards to the downgrade to a single spirit thing...

Back in 4, Rayman had at least 3 trophies: himself, Globox and Barbara. Now? Just a spirit. Which is rather strange, since there's no lack of artwork for Rayman spirits seeing as, you know, Legends is chock-full of it.
Yeah I've always thought that was weird. Why get the rights for Ray and only do one spirit?

I've seen people say that if nintendo publishes a game then they have the rights to use it's content in Smas. Nevermind the fact that's not true, but Nintendo didn't even publish the switch version of Rayman legends in Japan like they did the Wii u version. So definitely odd indeed

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Regarding the whole "obscure in Japan" thing, I'd say don't pay any attention to it. People don't know what's popular in Japan. 99% of smash fans in the west have never been on Japanese forums, and most of the arguments as to what's popular or not in Japan is based on nothing more than hearsay and fan polls. If we go based on Japanese fan polls then we'd have to conclude that Heavy is the most requested character in the west.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I doubt the issue people see is whether it's possible or not. It is, otherwise the costumes or Spirits wouldn't be there or we wouldn't have a wholeass Rabbids Crossover game that even Miyamoto himself presented.

The issue is more that people believe Nintendo would be afraid of releasing Rayman as he wouldn't cause any buzz in Japan. As pointed out already, that's flawed cause we have about five characters already that appeal to Western audiences but not in Japan, so...

On another note, I have a feeling that #9 could be Rayman's best shot at the pass.

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Rayman's been one of my most wanted characters in Smash for a while now so I figured it was a matter of time until I posted in this thread. I've been a fan of his series since Rayman 2 and I'd love for him to get in (obviously.) I always figured for a reveal trailer it would be neat to see them recreate the Rayman Origin's intro but with Smash characters instead. So, yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about his chances right now.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Anyway...

The Cacomallow leak is fake at this point, so I don't have any reason to believe this. Beyond the fact that the majority of text leaks on /v/ are fake.
My bad, I didn't realize there was evidence. I always hear "either Crash or Rayman, but probably Crash" on prediction lists on my discord groups and I wondered why people thought Crash was more likely. They usually just say because he's the bigger icon and the crash games on Switch, so I just assumed that was it. That'll teach me to talk like that without doing research.

By the way, I haven't been updated on everything going for Rayman in a while. Is there a compiled list or something somewhere that I could take a look at?

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
My bad, I didn't realize there was evidence. I always hear "either Crash or Rayman, but probably Crash" on prediction lists on my discord groups and I wondered why people thought Crash was more likely. They usually just say because he's the bigger icon and the crash games on Switch, so I just assumed that was it. That'll teach me to talk like that without doing research.

By the way, I haven't been updated on everything going for Rayman in a while. Is there a compiled list or something somewhere that I could take a look at?
From page 37

Forgot who here made this document, I think it was T TAnimal or MrMcNuts MrMcNuts but this should go over the most discussed points we use.

TangyKeys TangyKeys also came up with an interesting theory a couple of months ago which we've considered too:

So, I was going through tweets about Banjo-Kazooie facts, when I stumbled upon a GamesIndustry article about the revival of Rare's classic IP, I mostly skimmed through it, but this caught my eye:

I may be stretching and this is just all tinfoil hat theory, but what if those posts from Ubisoft's social media accounts were concept art sent to Nintendo for Smash? That's why that "Clue: It's not a new game" comment came up. Between this, and other evidence, something going on...
1608528098651.png

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I hope that three last DLC characters with Rayman is true because he is my number 1 character among with Ryu Hayabusa also Doom Slayer because I love Doom 2016. I did want Crash but I think its unlikely of Activision same as Sora with Disney. Can't blame Nintendo they tried I'l give them that happy with Min Min and Sephiroth. Rayman fits perfectly as a smash fighter Sakurai don't really have to do much with Rayman all his moves could come from Legends and 3.
Ryu Hayabusa Doom Slayer and Rayman Ultimate will be the best game for me if the leak don't get disproving.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
That 4chan "leak" would be pretty amazing. In addition to an iconic platforming mascot, we also have Doom, one of the biggest and most influential FPS games ever made (and one that I grew up playing) and Ninja Gaiden, one of the last few NES icons that could not only represent one series but two series (Dead or Alive). If they are the last bit of characters from this pass, I wouldn't complain.

Well, I'll still be sad about Dixie, but what are ya going to do.

Top Bottom