• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I was thinking about why such requested as characters Rayman, Geno and Banjo-Kazooie wasn't included in base roaster of the Ultimate. Despite the fact that inclusion of any character in such popular game as SSBU can help any franchise to get more popularity (for example, inclusion of Marth and Roy helped the FE franchise become more popularity outside of Japan) , but why Ubisoft, Square Enix and Microsoft wouldn't want their characters put in base roaster?

I hope you won't be mad at me but... I think all of three companies want get their 35-50% from DLC sales.
Inclusion of character from 3rd party company isn't an easy conversation for Nintendo and ("put the name of company here"). At least both companies should want that character in the game. Despite the words I said before, treaty between both companies can turns out as a bad decision. I mean one of both companies can put unpleasant conditions of the agreement for another. So at least 3rd party company can get some money for future projects.

So, I tried to explain why the characters I mentioned early did not appeared in base roaster. BUT I would like to share my thougts why are they WILL BE IN THE GAME.

Rayman:
2015, the year when relationship between Ubisoft and Nintendo really started, and when development of Mario+Rabbids game and Smash Ultimate started. Ubi-guys probably could ask Nintendo about Rayman's representation in their games. If the source don't lie, the big N agreed with inclusion in Super Mario Maker for 3DS, but something went wrong during development of the Rayman Amiibo, and the "RayMan" was left in the code of the game.

And there the trophy. The trophies are aren't just a collectible items, they are characters that could potentially be a new fighters( remember Pit was a trophy in the Melee? That's right!).
So Nintendo and Sakurai-san was both interested in Rayman!

Banjo and Geno:
They are both old and almost forgotten characters from previous console generations and they have something in common. Sakurai wanted to put Banjo in Melee, but he couldn't do it because of the copyright issues. The same story with Geno, Mr. Sakurai wanted him Brawl, but there is the same problem.

Did you know that Sakurai wanted to add Ditto and Sukapon in previous games but he couldn't because of development issues? But now they are in the Ultimate! In the same way as he wanted them to be in previous games! This means that Mr. Sakurai wante to make the game "complete" by putting element he couldn't put before.
I want to say that if really Sakurai want to add the characters he couldn't include or was interested before, ALL three of them definitely will be in the game!

What do you think about it? Tell me if mentioned something wrong. Thank you very much for your time!
It’s a reasonable theory. Third party characters being DLC would benefit the third parties in terms of profit.

While I wouldn’t say the likes of Banjo, Geno, and even Rayman are locks in terms of DLC. I fully except the DLC characters to be real heavy hitters, which the three characters mentioned would most certainly be (maybe a little less so in terms of Geno, no offense to his fans).

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It’s a reasonable theory. Third party characters being DLC would benefit the third parties in terms of profit.

While I wouldn’t say the likes of Banjo, Geno, and even Rayman are locks in terms of DLC. I fully except the DLC characters to be real heavy hitters, which the three characters mentioned would most certainly be (maybe a little less so in terms of Geno, no offense to his fans).
All my speculation right now comes down to if the companies will make the correct choice that will get them the most money, or will add the characters they misguidedly THINK will get them the most money. And hoping for multi million dollar companies to make the right choice is a dangerous gamble.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
All my speculation right now comes down to if the companies will make the correct choice that will get them the most money, or will add the characters they misguidedly THINK will get them the most money. And hoping for multi million dollar companies to make the right choice is a dangerous gamble.
In Ubisoft's case in this debate. Would they pick Rayman or a Rabbid/Ezio/Any other character?

This is not official word, obviously, but I know a French person who has visited Ubisoft's offices, and he came to us the other day with the following statement regarding Rayman in Smash:

20181105_114431.jpg

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
The Rayman for smash Twitter page is up to 270 followers lads, just about a week ago it was sitting at 165 I believe. 100 followers in a week's time is pretty great! Our numbers are getting stronger!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Had a shower thought this morning about a potential stage. A tour of the Glade of Dreams that visits 4 different locales from throughout the series. You could call it "Glade Tour" or just "Glade of Dreams".

I'm thinkin' it could start with the shattered brick wall from the Rayman 1 boxart, where a huge colorful portal is visible before the platform emerges and enters it.
From then on, it cycles through...

Band Land (featuring moskitos flying in bird-like formations, Electoons messing around, & a cameo by either Mr. Sax or Betilla)
The Precipice from Rayman 2 (featuring snoozing robo-pirate henchmen, & the occasional walking shell)
Either Gourmet Land or Desert of Dijiridoos (featuring Murphy pestering Antitoons)
The Land of the Livid Dead (featuring grannies rockin' out on caskets, the monster tulips, and cameos by Globox, Barbara & the Teensies)

Sound good to anyone?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Had a shower thought this morning about a potential stage. A tour of the Glade of Dreams that visits 4 different locales from throughout the series. You could call it "Glade Tour" or just "Glade of Dreams".

I'm thinkin' it could start with the shattered brick wall from the Rayman 1 boxart, where a huge colorful portal is visible before the platform emerges and enters it.

Band Land (featuring moskitos flying in bird-like formations, Electoons messing around, & a cameo by either Mr. Sax or Betilla)
The Precipice from Rayman 2 (featuring snoozing robo-pirate henchmen, & the occasional walking shell)
Either Gourmet Land or Desert of Dijiridoos (featuring Murphy pestering Antitoons)
The Land of the Livid Dead (featuring grannies rockin' out on caskets, the monster tulips, and cameos by Globox, Barbara & the Teensies)

Sound good to anyone?
Of course! Especially if there's a few variants of Chasing A Dream in the song list.

In Ubisoft's case in this debate. Would they pick Rayman or a Rabbid/Ezio/Any other character?

This is not official word, obviously, but I know a French person who has visited Ubisoft's offices, and he came to us the other day with the following statement regarding Rayman in Smash:

View attachment 175940
Good.

I knew something was amiss when Rabbid Peach was shown off as a Spirit. If this was Wii-era Ubi, they wouldn't resist the chance to shove Rabbids in here as playable, but it didn't happen so far. Here's to hoping Rayman comes to pass.

Also, has anyone done any fan art of :ultpeach: being possessed by Rabbid Peach's Spirit?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
View attachment 176260So I am just gonna put this screenshot I got here. I downloaded the game just to see what the deal with Rayman was. Barbara and Globox are skins of other Characters, but the odd thing here is that apparently Ubisoft gave them "Surnames" for this game, for some reason, so, they are now called Barbara Brynn and Globox Cassidy. I don't know what was the point of giving them surnames, honestly.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/321853-brawlhalla-patch-3-32-coming-nov-6th-2018-full-patch-notes
Of all the things I expected to happen today, finding out that Barbra and Globox have last names was not one of them.

Would try Brawhalla out, but school leaves me with little free time.

Sound good to anyone?
To my current knowledge, we haven’t had a Smash stage that’s like a “Best of” collection for an entire series.

I may or may not be a little bias when saying this; but I like it!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Of all the things I expected to happen today, finding out that Barbra and Globox have last names was not one of them.

Would try Brawhalla out, but school leaves me with little free time.
Actually, after checking the game, they were actually the names of the characters that got the Barbara and Globox skins, honestly, it is easy to mistake since most people don't know the OC fighters.

3.png

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Words from the man himself.
DLC characters have been chosen. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. Though that’s not to discourage showing support.

He states that Nintendo decided the DLC choices, not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Words from the man himself.
DLC characters have been chosen. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. Though that’s not to discourage showing support.

He states that Nintendo decided the DLC choices, not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.
Bruh that's gotta be a good thing! Nintendo themselves are the ones deciding to do these cross overs with Ubisoft! So it's easily possible that they planned to have a Ubi character in smash, aka RAYMAN

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Decided by Nintendo is definitely a good thing since Nintendo is the one who will acknowledge their relationship with Ubisoft more.

That also means Steve probably rose in likelyhood, so... crap. Oh well, I'd take Steve as long as there's Ray.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Yeah, Nintendo choosing characters definitely helps us more than it hurts. There's already some form of Ubisoft content in the game with Rabbid Spirits, so it's not like they didn't have some kind of discussion.

I just hope Nintendo had the foresight to pick characters that would piss off the least amount of people lol.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
Dude, this is confusing for me.
for some reason I think nintendo selected only first party characters or nintendo exclusives.

TrainerFireRed

Smash Apprentice
....hmmm...well I think most of the most noteable and popular 1st party characters are in Smash already. Maybe one of those Xenoblade characters, but even then we have four more slots. It could be anyone at this point.

Eremitaviola

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5198-1572-7120
I didn't have an account before but now definitely count me in! I've even put in a document to copy and paste my reasons for wanting him.
Rayman has always been my favorite platformer, above both Mario and Sonic, so of course I voted for him in the ballot. With all the potential specials maybe Rayman 3 (my favorite) would get some recognition with the power ups (blue for grabs, orange for side B, yellow for up B, green for neutral B, and red for down B, which for the uninitiated translates to chain for grab, guided missile for side, villager's but with elicopter for up, tornado for neutral, and punch towards ground with down). And any stage from Origins or Legends would be great. He was tied with Simon as my pick but I recognized that Simon deserved it more, but now that Simon is in he's my number one. My dream inclusion would be him with a Barbara Echo since they would probably have their tilts taken from Legends where everyone has the same moveset. And for specials in Rayman 3 they come from a power up (some weird detergent) that supposedly works with anyone so there's no reason to restrict them to Rayman. My favourite Rayman characters are actually the Teensies but I love their Rayman M version the most so if they do get in I'd love to see that version, but they would work like weirder Ice Climbers and that would be too much work.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
With the latest news I feel confident in his chances. I don't think Nintendo let Sakurai choose from a huge selection of third-party characters but I see Rayman being an exception.

Also add me to the support list. He's my most wanted third-party and I've ignored this thread for way too long.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
If Rayman gets in, I hope there will be lots of references to the second game.
Decided by Nintendo is definitely a good thing since Nintendo is the one who will acknowledge their relationship with Ubisoft more.

That also means Steve probably rose in likelyhood, so... crap. Oh well, I'd take Steve as long as there's Ray.
I'll only take him if Banjo-Kazooie get in too, but with it only being five slots, I don't see that as likely. Hopefully they'll make the less logical, more satisfying choice and add Banjo-Kazooie over Steve if they had to choose between the two.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
With Rabbids content being in Smash and Rayman being put in Brawlhalla, I'm pretty hopeful for Rayman. Especially with him not becoming an assist.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I'll be damn surprised if he doesn't make it in.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Man I don't know about you guys, but I'm still pretty worried for Nintendo's choices of DLC for Smash Ultimate. The fact that it's decided by them means that considering it's Nintendo, they're more likely going to aim for marketing characters from recent games rather than fan favorites (which would really suck considering the theme of Ultimate bringing highly requested characters). That means we're going to get more FE character (most likely from Tree Houses) and a new Gen 8 Pokemon which I both don't want to happen. Plus, it looks like Katalina from Grandblue Fantasy looks more likely now and now that Vergeban claims their presence and is looking a lot more trustworthy, I won't be surprised for her inclusion (even though it would suck).

For the case of Rayman, I do feel he has a good chance (assuming that Nintendo do consider third-parties in their list) due to their friendly relationship with Ubisoft. With that said, while it might be somewhat good for us Rayman fans, I also fear that Nintendo will also consider the Rabbids before Rayman due to their prominence with modern Nintendo since they had a game last year with Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Plus, Rayman's last game was back in 2014 being Rayman Legends (even though it was ported to the Switch recently). GOD rather have Rabbids as AT and Rayman being playable instead.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
yeah, not to be a debbie downer, but something tells me that the Rabbids have become a threat again (this time, they're the biggest threat yet) because of you-know-what, but I remain hopeful that the big N makes the crowd-pleasing choice.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Eremitaviola Eremitaviola waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi
Welcome to the Glade of Dreams!
0DF7BCCC-0A9D-477A-AF61-47E3E7BBE6BB.gif

——————
My biggest fear about Nintendo playing a hand in the DLC is the overuse of promotional. Two out of the three DLC spots being taken by a Fire Emblem or Pokémon would not be something I’m a fan of.

However, from Sakurai’s tweets, it sounds like Nintendo gave him a list of viable DLC choices, which in turn he choose 5. Rather than Nintendo saying “here’s 5 characters, work with what you have.”

Some third parties’ chances are better than others with this news in mind. Thankfully, Rayman does seem to benefit in this regard. Nintendo and Ubisoft’s relationship has been stronger than ever, and putting a character in Smash to “solidify” that relationship would make sense.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Y'all are forgetting that the Rabbids are already spirits. I double they'd show them off as spirits in the direct if they were just going to be dlc later

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I wouldn't worry about a FE Three houses character, it's actually pretty unlikely IMO.

Remember, Sakurai himself agreed with the "too much FE" complaint even before adding Corn. Despite hesitating he added them mainly because of their unique dragon shapeshifting abilities and because his dev team was pushing him to.

I simply don't think the protagonists of Three Houses have something to make them stand out to Sakurai and his team from all the other FE characters. Also we now have 7 of them and compitition with other franchises is likely higher now than it was back in late 2015 so I don't see them getting magnetized to FE as easy.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
However, from Sakurai’s tweets, it sounds like Nintendo gave him a list of viable DLC choices, which in turn he choose 5. Rather than Nintendo saying “here’s 5 characters, work with what you have.”
My theory right now is that Sakurai may compare Nintendo's options with the ballot.
Rayman and Bandana Dee are the two characters I have confidende in with these news.
Geno, Elma, and it pains me to say, Banjo, decreased in likelyhood for me though.
Additionally, if Verge's word is true, we're still getting a SE rep and Minecraft content.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
My theory right now is that Sakurai may compare Nintendo's options with the ballot.
Rayman and Bandana Dee are the two characters I have confidende in with these news.
Geno, Elma, and it pains me to say, Banjo, decreased in likelyhood for me though.
Additionally, if Verge's word is true, we're still getting a SE rep and Minecraft content.
I think Banjo’s fate relies entirely on whether or not the inevitable N64 Classic has Banjo and any other Rare games on it.

If it does, than Banjo’s chances will rise up greatly.

D

Deleted member

I spotted rabbid Kong as a spirit this could mean all of the other rabbids are spirits leavening the dlc doors open for rayman

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Link to the video and time stamp? I haven't noticed myself. :)
Here you go.

Speaking of Spirits, for his hypothetical inclusion, want kind of Rayman themed Spirit events would you like to see?

One idea I had was Mr.Dark possessing Ganondorf, who has additional fire attacks. Kirby’s that already have the copy abilities of other fighter could also show up, simulating the boss mash-ups in Rayman 1’s final boss.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I wouldn't worry about a FE Three houses character, it's actually pretty unlikely IMO.

Remember, Sakurai himself agreed with the "too much FE" complaint even before adding Corn. Despite hesitating he added them mainly because of their unique dragon shapeshifting abilities and because his dev team was pushing him to.

I simply don't think the protagonists of Three Houses have something to make them stand out to Sakurai and his team from all the other FE characters. Also we now have 7 of them and compitition with other franchises is likely higher now than it was back in late 2015 so I don't see them getting magnetized to FE as easy.
To be the devil's advocate; she's got that Ax.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I hope Nintendo chose Rayman over Rabbids but realistic it wont happen because of Mario+Rabbids gosh darn it.

D

Deleted member

I hope Nintendo chose Rayman over Rabbids but realistic it wont happen because of Mario+Rabbids gosh darn it.
Then explain why every rabbid is a spirit and rayman is nowhere to be seen as a spirit.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
C'mon guys, I strongly doubt they'd show off Rabbids as spirits and have Davide soliani hype up their spirits if they were gonna be dlc. It's safe to say they're pretty much deconfirmed and that Rayman has a good chance

Top Bottom